JopieK

Kickstarter: ME Models Tracks for both metal and ABS only track pieces

I guess, now that I've gone and looked, my one problem is that the conversion sections are half length.  That might make it hard to integrate into existing layouts unless you buy extra half length sections.

Otherwise, the look is is quite good, and seems like it will integrate into existing layouts without any visual problems... if you're getting colors matching your existing parts, I don't see what the complaint is.

I take seriously the comments about ME replacing LEGO 9V... all the counter arguments are completely valid; I was actually hoping ME would make a motor, or there'd be some kind of easy conversion kit someone came out with.  Switched and crossovers might be a problem; I have several pairs from LEGO, so I wasn't really thinking about it.  Still, I don't think anyone has put as much effort into this as ME; I don't think they were incompetent at all (except in over-estimating what suppliers could do.  If all the molds came out correctly at the proper tolerances the first time they tried, they'd likely have stuck with the original plan.  In the middle of the quagmire, they were given a suggestion that would work a lot better and was easier and more robust... so I'm glad they changed, and I'm looking forward to my rails.

As far as speed regulators go, though, I don't understand why any train speed regulator wouldn't work (as long as it put out the right voltage).

13 hours ago, hankdelsi said:

I'm not fully understanding the new connector situation.  Could someone help me understand?  Thanks in advance!

The rail they are selling will not connect to LEGO track - it uses the traditional model railroading metal clips that are used to connect sections of rail.  To keep it compatible with LEGO, they made a half-length straight section that has one side to connect to LEGO track, and the other side using the traditional method.  Again, I don't see what the problem is that people are having - you can still use all your old track and I don't think there will be a problem visually with the different tracks.

I also think the track is definitely a better value than buying LEGO 9V from third parties.  First, finding it in bulk (more than 4 pieces, if you can call that bulk), you're looking at $3.50 or more (and that's for used).  It's $28 for ten standard length ME tracks, and they are new.  Add to that the different radius options and double and half-length sections...

Trust me, I'm no ME cheerleader - I've periodically let it be known that I'm not happy with how long it's taken (despite understanding the problems they were having), their far-too-infrequent communication, but now that I can see pictures of the track, and know that it's actually there for order, not "vaporware" anymore, and see that it really does look like it will visually fit with LEGO track, I don't get the problems.

Thanks, I get it now, so at worst I may just need to get some half length tracks.  I have limited space and want to maximize the track.  I did order some of the half lengths in my pledge so I should be ok.  Hope my shipment is in week 1 and not week 4 or week 8,12,24,52. :laugh:

12 hours ago, fred67 said:

my one problem is that the conversion sections are half length.  That might make it hard to integrate into existing layouts unless you buy extra half length sections

Yup, my point exactly. Still, gonna order a loop with some half lengths to upgrade my layout.

Now let's see how long it will take them to develop R72 metal switches...

Well... ordered and paid Saturday. It's Wednesday, hasn't shipped yet, and no response to my message to customer service yet either. The customer service request was for adding to the order.

-Jeffinslaw

ME would not need to make motors. Just use Power Functions. All that would be needed, is a pickup to provide power to the motors. Since PF only needs a steady supply of 9 volts, the track would serve merely as a power source. No speed regulator needed. Instead, you would only need an adapter, to step down and convert the 120V AC (or whatever voltage your house gets from the power co.) to 9V DC. An adapter that you may have saved from a defunct appliance may work, but most likely will not handle the current demand (most put out less than 1 Amp), and will burn out, causing a serious train delay.

Hey guys, Mike from ME-models called me today. We had a great chat. It was nice to talk to one of the two guys there, he gave me a lot of back story on the past few months since I wasn't around for the kickstarter. They have a lot of other ideas and I'm looking forward to seeing them come together. Looking forward to getting my track as well. Not worried about the wait now.

-Jeffinslaw

@Jeffinslaw

Any words about potential locos and cars? I can't wait for that, they've had the section on their website for a couple of years now. I'm waiting to get a job before I start purchasing track.

On 12/23/2016 at 6:33 PM, Lego Dino 500 said:

@Jeffinslaw

Any words about potential locos and cars? I can't wait for that, they've had the section on their website for a couple of years now. I'm waiting to get a job before I start purchasing track.

Once they get all the track shipped out to backers and all orders filled, they'll start working on the models.

-Jeffinslaw

As someone who has (PF) half-straight track, trust me when I say that once you have some, you'll want more. In all honesty, I don't know what I'd have done at my last few displays if I hadn't had them.

Oh yes I do, I've have had to use flexi-track... ugh!

I've noticed that, on the Me Models Facebook page, they have another product update and may be shipping soon.

If anybody has a contact at Me Models (I can't get my email acknowledged) or if Me Models are reading this, PLEASE double check with the backers before you ship ANYTHING.

Some backers may have changed address. Others (myself included) will not be about in the new year if they ship soon. I'm worried that, after the wait, that they will ship and some porch pirate will steal my goods because I'm not home to receive them.

Anyway - they wait may nearly be over - a happy new year may await.

Darn, order hasn't shipped yet. I figure with Christmas this past weekend, many orders didn't get shipped out.

-Jeffinslaw

Pity about the postage costs to europe. Above $100 or so and its $50 postage to Europe with the additional customs/VAT/handling risk that could add another 40/50euro to a $150 bill.

3 hours ago, 112123 said:

The good news is that the metal is coming,

the bad news is not compatible with lego...

Wait for coaster's next Kickstarter.

4 hours ago, 112123 said:

The good news is that the metal is coming,

the bad news is not compatible with lego...

That's why they created adapters. The system they are using is better than the one Lego designed. It has been used by all model railroads for well over 50 years. 

-Jeffinslaw

What I think that ME should do with the whole adapter situation is that they should publish a tutorial on how to make that adapted section (the filed down bit) on any of the non-adapted metal rails. I also wouldn't mind if they released a quarter length adapter track, for those of us that don't have a lotta acreage for trains.

On the consumer's side however, we do need to just embrace the adapters, and future layouts should probably be split up by what tracks are being used&where. For my personal layout, I currently have 3 loops - two are PF and one is 9v - they are connected via two single crossovers so that the PF trains at least can go between zones. So, I think people should consider reorganizing their layouts in a similar fashion by trying to group as much of the ME 9v tracks together as feasibly possible, thereby reducing the need for adapter sections.

Anyways, I still think that a tutorial on how to adapt the tracks to the original 9v connections would be (fairly) well received... just a lot of filing/sanding right?

3 hours ago, Jeffinslaw said:

That's why they created adapters. The system they are using is better than the one Lego designed. It has been used by all model railroads for well over 50 years. 

-Jeffinslaw

Agreed.  Sadly, I have already put away my annual Christmas set up - the one time a year I set up trains, unfortunately, but will pull it all out to try everything out when it gets here.  I wish we could get all of the parts, including switches and crossovers done in this traditional method.  Then we wouldn't have to worry about motors or speed regulators or anything.

I got a shipping notification email from Mike from ME Models back on January 7th. Will see how long it takes to ship the rails from the US to Germany?

Nothing for me yet, either.  I finally got an email that asked to correspond either by phone or email; I responded with "email," but haven't heard anything.  That was several weeks ago.

I was told my order would go out last weekend and that I should be on the lookout for a confirmation email. Nothing yet...

-Jeffinslaw