JopieK

Kickstarter: ME Models Tracks for both metal and ABS only track pieces

I buy now because I don't have enough 9V track, so am waiting for them to get to it; I previously bought their metal track and initially didn't have any problems, but had some connectivity problems last time I used it. I can work around it, though, but I'd rather have better functioning track.

But I also buy plastic track because the future doesn't include 9V (sadly), so I will do both for now as I transition... but regardless, there's simply not enough straight track to keep people satisfied. I need a few sections every time I get a new train to put on display; a lot of people don't have permanent display, but always evolving setups that they put up for some time and then take down, and the next time they set it up they might make it bigger (in my case, my Christmas setup expanded to a second table last year).

There's also the simple fact that track sometimes fails. I know it's seems odd, but I've had metal track from LEGO fail. You can't get first hand replacements.

As a little addition, I've used train tracks for other things - my abundance of LEGO plastic curves was the basis for a large arch. I've since taken it apart (no room - it was quite large), but I imagine when I do a permanent layout I would rebuild it as part of a large, modern train station.

As of a few days ago ME has restocked the R104 curves in their online store. At brickworld Tony gave a great seminar on the ME Track. He has been in contact with ME Models and they sent samples (everyone left the seminar with a straight track segment). He said that a large number of Kickstarter backers backed out without paying, which is part of the reason why things are moving so slowly. Then they ran out of stock and had to do another run, which just came in. So they should be shipping more KS pledges. He also said that if anyone had any questions, just send ME Models an email. Meanwhile, he brought samples of their forthcoming offering: silver rails. They look REALLY sharp on brown or dark brown ties... too bad I have a ton of dark gray lego straights or I would be all over those new color options.

He said that a large number of Kickstarter backers backed out without paying, which is part of the reason why things are moving so slowly.

Question: If those pledges were revoked (or never paid), do those 'backers' still get the rewards they backed?

Question: If those pledges were revoked (or never paid), do those 'backers' still get the rewards they backed?

Nope. ME Models is actually under zero obligation to ship anything. Many funded Kickstarter projects fail in this way. Essentially they hit their pledge amount, which is a bottom threshold for a successful business model, 40% of backers don't pay, and they are left with only 60% of the required capital to pull off their project. I've seen a number of projects get funded but fail (and no product is ever delivered). ME Models is doing a stellar job of fulfilling their commitment! This is why they are explaining the secondary sales to get enough capital for more production runs to meet their backer obligations (the ones that paid, that is).

Its been so long, but i cannot remember an option where i can pledge but not pay. I thought you had to pay to play?

I am one of those that pledged for plenty of metal tracks. still look forward to these.

Edited by funkdis

What happens is you don't pay immediately, you pledge the money; when they reach the end of the campaign, if enough money was pledged, then they charge your card (or paypal, or whatever). That gives people time to cancel, block payment, do whatever. I think it's really crappy of them to do it, but perhaps the timeline just got too long for people; perhaps cards expired during the time between pledging and the end of the campaign.

But sure, those people aren't going to get anything.

As a metal rail backer, I'm greatly looking forward to them, as well. If pre-ordering more track would help them out, I'd be willing to do it.

As a metal rail backer, I'm greatly looking forward to them, as well. If pre-ordering more track would help them out, I'd be willing to do it.

Doesn't that just push the issue down the road? I mean, you give them money now for something later, and they use the money to fulfill orders now - then they don't have the money later when they need to fulfill yours. I may be horribly mistaken because I've never taken a business course, but I don't see an easy way out of this issue (without throwing more of their own money at it).

Hi guys,

To end the speculation, of course, no payment = no product.

Back on track (no pun intended), we are working very hard every day to expand our retail partners getting our product into the hands of everyone. These sales are then being turned around and being used to make sure that all of you who pledged money during the Kickstarter Campaign as well as purchased extra product via BackerKit are taken care of as soon as practical.

Doesn't that just push the issue down the road? I mean, you give them money now for something later, and they use the money to fulfill orders now - then they don't have the money later when they need to fulfill yours. I may be horribly mistaken because I've never taken a business course, but I don't see an easy way out of this issue (without throwing more of their own money at it).

Yes and no - it's not a pyramid scheme; I have no doubt they are not taking the money and running. What profit they are making now goes towards finishing the products. At some point they'll make up the balance they lost from people abandoning the project and finally get caught up, and then they can start making profit for real (and deservedly) and hopefully roll that into other projects (or another kickstarter campaign that they'll have more experience with to deal with those issues).

I am one of those that pledged for plenty of metal tracks. still look forward to these.

At the brickworld presentation Tony said that just as they were finalizing the metal track their metal fabricator said they were no longer doing parts that small, but that ME was close to finding a new supplier.

Yay, I finally received the package. It looks really good, so I'm happy. Worth the patience.

My ABS R72 & double straights arrived last week and I was finnaly able to pick them up yesterday. Yeah!

Here is a short video of my HE running on it:

If/when I need more tracks, I'm getting more of this.

Now, if only they would make some cross-sections and some switch-tracks as well.. ;-)

Just looked at the website. Do the ME tracks have the same colours as the standard lego tracks? And if not, is it a big problem?

Just looked at the website. Do the ME tracks have the same colours as the standard lego tracks? And if not, is it a big problem?

Yes, the tracks is as close as possible, the same color.

I backed the kickstarter project for a full loop of R56 and a number of straights. It seems as if everything was sent to me, but got lost in the post. I filed a reclamation (formal complaint?) with the Swedish post, and contacted ME Models more than three weeks ago but haven't heard anything from anyone. Word seems to be that ME models answers all their mails, but that it can take a long time. They seem to be hard working guys, but I want my track! Advice, someone? Should I order the same amount from their homepage, it would cost me around 120$. And I'd rather spend those money on even more track than...

Hi Guys,

I am writing to let everyone know that we just received our parts order that we placed over 4 weeks ago. We will be doing our best to get as many orders out as we can. We have placed another

large parts order and it should arrive MUCH faster than the last one. We apologize for the lack of speed but we are back on the track ( NO PUN INTENDED). We have always been on the level with everybody and will always have our door open to everyone. If you have an order in the system, make no mistake, we will get it to you.

Mike

ME Models

Edited by mike44

Hi Guys,

I am writing to let everyone know that we just received our parts order that we placed over 4 weeks ago. We will be doing our best to get as many orders out as we can. We have placed another

large parts order and it should arrive MUCH faster than the last one. We apologize for the lack of speed but we are back on the track ( NO PUN INTENDED). We have always been on the level with everybody and will always have our door open to everyone. If you have an order in the system, make no mistake, we will get it to you.

Mike

ME Models

Does this include metal rails that I backed or just plastic rails? Thanks in advance for your response.

Edited by hankdelsi

Hankdelsi

Just the plastic for now, but we are getting closer on the metal!! See the pictures posted above

Mike

I just looked back through the ME Models store, and I'm really excited! I have a few questions that I've been curious about for a while. How long will it be before you plan to release locomotives and rolling stock? That's the #1 thing I'm excited for, besides the large radius curves and rails. I can't wait until I can individually buy cars and locomotives, without the expense of paying for a whole entire extra set like what Lego does. What sort of rolling stock and locomotives do you plan on releasing in the future? Sorry, it's just that I'm so excited for a aftermarket to open up for custom Lego trains, without the expense and exclusivity of purchasing a MOC on bricklink.

I just looked back through the ME Models store, and I'm really excited! I have a few questions that I've been curious about for a while. How long will it be before you plan to release locomotives and rolling stock? That's the #1 thing I'm excited for, besides the large radius curves and rails. I can't wait until I can individually buy cars and locomotives, without the expense of paying for a whole entire extra set like what Lego does. What sort of rolling stock and locomotives do you plan on releasing in the future? Sorry, it's just that I'm so excited for a aftermarket to open up for custom Lego trains, without the expense and exclusivity of purchasing a MOC on bricklink.

You could just design and build your own MOCs...