JopieK

Kickstarter: ME Models Tracks for both metal and ABS only track pieces

I honestly had my doubts but I'm glad I was wrong. ME reached their funding goal with hours to spare. This is a very good thing. I consider it not just support for new rails but as support for the whole LEGO train community. More options can lead to a more active and growing hobby. Maybe this will open the doors to more projects like this being developed in the future. New 9v motors, track power pick ups, new switches automation, what will some one develop next?

Cale

Just backed for $35 for the straights. This is a great deal for just the straights!

Fantastic, glad I got in early can't wait now. How long after the first run will it be until track hits the shop to just top up when we want?

Congrats! But first for a question:

I just wanted to ask if it would be much difference to drill more holes on the bottom of the R56 curved rails, as some people may want to have a more realistic distance between the sleepers.

Like this, just with the curved rails:

14014259989_70f30cb7c9.jpg

The only problem I would see is to connect these curves, but I'm sure someone would find a solution.

Edited by ScotNick

I bumped my pledge to the $360 level. I had checked with 14 hours to go and the campaign was $10k short. Only 2 hours later, the campaign was $1k over! Awesome, can't wait to get my track.

So I am thinking of backing this but not sure if it will work with my trains... I have the yellow cargo train, red cargo train, horizon express, and the maersk train. Will these tracks work with my trains? What is the best backing option if they do work with my trains?

So I am thinking of backing this but not sure if it will work with my trains... I have the yellow cargo train, red cargo train, horizon express, and the maersk train. Will these tracks work with my trains? What is the best backing option if they do work with my trains?

Yes, they are compatible with LEGO track, so they will work with your train. I'm not sure what your best backing option would be. Just back at a level you feel comfortable.

The only problem I would see is to connect these curves, but I'm sure someone would find a solution.

We actually looked at this, and our manufacturer saw potential issues with it, namely getting the holes to line up should you put them "off". I realize the the "old blue" track had just a cavity on the one rail, however, with the metal, there was concern that it would make the walls too thin.

This isn't to say that we can't revisit the issue though.

These rails will be 100% compatible with the recent LEGO offerings. As for which option is best, it depends upon what type of track you use. If you are using power functions or RC (any form of battery operated) train, then the ABS options would be the most economical for you. If you're using 9V (plugged into the wall with a speed controller), then the metal options would be for you.

We actually looked at this, and our manufacturer saw potential issues with it, namely getting the holes to line up should you put them "off". I realize the the "old blue" track had just a cavity on the one rail, however, with the metal, there was concern that it would make the walls too thin.

This isn't to say that we can't revisit the issue though.

These rails will be 100% compatible with the recent LEGO offerings. As for which option is best, it depends upon what type of track you use. If you are using power functions or RC (any form of battery operated) train, then the ABS options would be the most economical for you. If you're using 9V (plugged into the wall with a speed controller), then the metal options would be for you.

So do the full loops have any straights or no?

So do the full loops have any straights or no?

The full loops do not contain straight track. If you're looking for both, the FAQ on our KickStarter program page (all the way at the bottom) explains how the addon process works. In short, add up the total of what you want, pledge that amount and select the reward of the highest amount. In a few days, you'll get a survey where you can specify what additional products you wanted with your pledge.

Thanks!

I plan on throwing in before this is over, have to count all my nickels and dimes after the kids go to bed and see where I stand.

The boy and I would make use of it for sure

Just backed for $260, meant to do it a while ago but never got around to it. I am glad I got in in time. I think this should make a very good start to a better track system than what LEGO currently offers, and may open the door to other after market improvements to the PF system as a whole.

Thank you E Models for all you hard work!!

Sal

WFB, WI

Just done my part and took it over the target. Backer 218. :classic:

Congratulations ME, and like everyone else who backed this drive, I am looking forward to a high quality product! I can't wait to get my hands on the wide radius curves, R104 here I come.

Just upped my pledge to get under $12k to go. You can never have too many straight pieces, right?

Good point, while at the moment I do actually have enough straight for my needs, I just upped my pledge to get a sample pack of ABS and of metal to play with and see how they perform.

Congrats! But first for a question:

I just wanted to ask if it would be much difference to drill more holes on the bottom of the R56 curved rails, as some people may want to have a more realistic distance between the sleepers.

Like this, just with the curved rails:

14014259989_70f30cb7c9.jpg

When I started my effort to make custom wide radius curves I had wanted to use 1x8 ties. Unfortunately there is no good way of doing the track connectors on curves with regular Lego plates. Even BanBao with mostly one wide ties uses a 2 wide joiner when the rail sections come together. Personally I think all 2 wide looks better than mostly 1 wide ties with occasional 2 wide.

The nice thing about the ME design, however, is that as long as you do not mind having two plate high ballast, you can create the look of 1 wide ties. Say you wanted black ties and light gray ballast, where ME uses a 2x8 plate, use a black 1x8 plate and a gray 1x8 plate. For the rail junctions use the underlying plates for the structure to hole the rails together (hum... maybe that will get me to finally ballast my track). You could even get fancy and use tiles for the ties, though now you would use a pair of 1x1 tiles for the outside, a 1x4 for the inside, and a pair of 1x1 plates to actually hold the rail (again using the underlying plate for the structure).

If this idea proves popular, perhaps in the future ME could add custom plates to facilitate this type of ballast on curves (though they would need one new wedge plate for each radius... or two new wedge plates to support "S" curves)

Gah! I meant to up my pledge to get some more straights, but my internet connection failed and I missed it with less than ten seconds! Annoying. Much less annoying is that the project was funded and that I will get my R56 loop and a few straights. Great day for every train fan! Congratulations to all of us!

I'm happy this is happening, and it also means a source of track in the future direct from ME. I'm really interested if they'll be releasing crossovers and switches down the line, as I own a single crossover and want more!

thats 260 backers that will be extremely happy to receive these later in the year :).

just to put it into perspective approx. $335 was the average per funder.

Looking forward to this, Thank you Eric and the ME team.

Edited by funkdis

No, thank you all for your support. :)

Regular updates regarding project process will be posted on the KickStarter page as well as our website.

Congrats! Glad to see this happen, glad to be part also.

Thanks to everyone that helped!

Congratulations ME Models. I look forward to getting my hands on some new radii. Does anyone know if larger radius parts exist for use in BlueBrick?

I don't think I've ever been this excited in my entire life.

Imagine the S-curves we will finally be able to make with the ME Models r104 track! I would imagine it will possible to make custom switching tracks due to the freedom of the independent rails. The plastic track could be cut/glued/acetoned together, with the switching elements sanded sharp and attached to Technic parts within the ballast, and then controlled via power functions. This opens up the possibility for us to make gradual switches, inclined curves, and anything else we can imagine. :wink:

Great news! Congrats to Eric J. Olsen and the rest of the ME Team, all the best for the future! hopefully you can take this and run with it!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here`s a question: Are the rails going to be marked in any way that makes it easy to tell what radius they belong to? How will I know an 88 inner rail from a 72 outer at just a quick glance?