Sign in to follow this  
MassEditor

MOC: Crater of Doom

Very nice build, and excellent rockwork there :sweet:

Great job with the bridge as well, looking forward to your joining GoH :wink:

Do not worry about the lights. I am no expert either in photography or lighting, but I take shots with a smartphone, a battery torch, and sometimes candles yet the results are occasionally very satisfactory. Yes, candles! Your creation looks very suitable for using candle lights. Just try to put a few candles behind the high hills, so that they do not show up in the shot, but their lights do. (assuming you already set up the dark background) I am already excited about the possible results! :))

Man, I never thought of using candles. That's definitely worth trying, thanks for the tip! I'll post some pics if I can get the effect down and see what you think!

Magnificent MOC, love those stairs its perfect would happily buy this!

Thank you, just name a price! :grin:

This is really nice, would love to have this sat on my desk

Thanks! Only thing is, this would sit on your desk and it would never move. This thing is too darn heavy! This is going to a show this weekend and since it was traveling a distance away I was worried it would fall apart. So, the mountains are about 100 percent solid. It's as solid as a brick (no pun intended) but man is it heavy!

Great work on this one, you'd better start joining Nocturnus fast. About making photo's of black, I think you succeeded well enough as it's pretty tricky indeed. And about the rockwork, it's actually really good and it's not uncommon to see a certain pattern in it in nature.

Thanks Big E, I'm honored by the Frontpage bump and humbled by your own incredible building talent. I think you hit the nail on the head when it comes to good rockwork. It is too easy to see nothing but randomness in nature when in fact there is incredible pattern and repetition, even (or especially, if you're a devout geologist) in rock formations. The key is to mix the styles when representing mountains in Legos, and I'm hoping to get a little better each time.

This is awesome!) So much lava.. And I like dragons and orcs!)

Thanks Zond!

Very suitable to the theme..! Lovely stuff.

I appreciate it!

Wow, what a breathtaking MOC! Congrats on getting frontpaged! :thumbup:

Thanks you! I have to admit, it was pretty cool coming into work this morning and seeing that when I checked the site! :blush:

Very nice build, and excellent rockwork there :sweet:

Great job with the bridge as well, looking forward to your joining GoH :wink:

Thanks, me too! I may be a bit biased by my love for historical-themed Legos, but GoH seems like the center of inspiration in the Lego universe.

Impressive, specially the efect with the black slopes, congratulations!

Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

That's awesome! It looks like you took apart your Tower of Orthanc to make this! I never would have the courage to do so! :laugh:

*goes to LEGO store, fills up two buckets of trans-orange studs* :grin:

Edited by legozebra

I shudder to think him many bricks are needed to make this solid. If you get the chance and it's easy to do I would love to know what it's weight is, enjoy the show

Awesome MOC. Your rock work is fantastic. I love the way the colors complement each other, the lava is great.

That is an amazing build! It's full of detail and I really like the lava and think that the LoTR minifigures fit in very well! I look forward to seeing another build!

And it does indeed belong in Nocturnus. I love the feel of this. Very appropriate!

Hi, I wonder if you could help me? How do you build the mountains like that? I need to do this for a medieval display I am expanding for a coming expo. Many thanks for any help.

Amazing MOC! :D

Thanks!

That's awesome! It looks like you took apart your Tower of Orthanc to make this! I never would have the courage to do so! :laugh:

*goes to LEGO store, fills up two buckets of trans-orange studs* :grin:

Haha! To be honest, I took the Tower apart the same day I finished it. I love a lot of the sets but I just don't ever keep them together - I need the pieces too bad for my own stuff! I think one of the keys to MOCing is not getting too attached to the stuff you build. That's what I told my fellow builders on Saturday during our show, at the end of which I completely demolished the Crater of Doom (with some glee, I might ad)! :grin: Now I finally get to work on something else!

Extremely impressive moc! It would be great to have you in GoH

Thanks! I'm glad I finally quit lurking and joined up!

I shudder to think him many bricks are needed to make this solid. If you get the chance and it's easy to do I would love to know what it's weight is, enjoy the show

You know, this was my first build ever where I attempted to estimate the pieces I used. I gave up at the ~25,000 mark (including the 10K in orange dots). As far as weigh goes, I'd say it was in excess of 60 pounds (we have 50-pound sacks of feed for the cattle, which feel MUCH lighter than the Crater) :grin:

Awesome MOC. Your rock work is fantastic. I love the way the colors complement each other, the lava is great.

Thank you sir!

That is an amazing build! It's full of detail and I really like the lava and think that the LoTR minifigures fit in very well! I look forward to seeing another build!

Thanks a ton for your interest!!

Well deserved frontpaging. Big and beautiful layout...!!!

Thank you Gunman, means a lot coming from an accomplished builder like you. :sweet:

Very nice MOC ...all that fire is totally cool! :wub: :wub: :wub:

The wooden suspended walkway let me speechless! :oh:

Thanks a ton!

And it does indeed belong in Nocturnus. I love the feel of this. Very appropriate!

Awesome! I'm glad you like it! Your Nocturnus builds are through the roof though.

Hi, I wonder if you could help me? How do you build the mountains like that? I need to do this for a medieval display I am expanding for a coming expo. Many thanks for any help.

Hey futuresportz, honestly I didn't have any kind of master plan and mostly built through trial and error. I think the keys things to consider is having a wide variety of dark bley (or light, if that's your thing) slopes, plates and bricks in your possession. BURPS can be a great base to build a mountain from. Use your unused, multi-color bricks and plates to build up the support on the inside of the mountain. Since no one can see in there, who cares what color you use? :laugh:

Also, try looking at real rock formations to get an idea of what you want to do. Rocks and mountains may look incredibly random but there is still a lot of pattern. Try to replicate that but don't forget about the wilder geological features too (which I admittedly did not do enough of in this MOC) like jutting rocks and loose boulders at the base.

I hope that helps a little. I would love to see what you get together! :classic:

It looks really awesome! Love all the details! :)

Thanks!

That's incredible!!

How long did you work on this beauty?

Thanks Konig78! I'd say about three months of build this scene, though it went through several major reincarnations before I settled on the current design.

Really impressive!

I appreciate it Funky Rooster! :grin:

Amazing MOC! :D

Thanks!

That's awesome! It looks like you took apart your Tower of Orthanc to make this! I never would have the courage to do so! :laugh: *goes to LEGO store, fills up two buckets of trans-orange studs* :grin:

Haha! To be honest, I took the Tower apart the same day I finished it. I love a lot of the sets but I just don't ever keep them together - I need the pieces too bad for my own stuff! I think one of the keys to MOCing is not getting too attached to the stuff you build. That's what I told my fellow builders on Saturday during our show, at the end of which I completely demolished the Crater of Doom (with some glee, I might ad)! :grin: Now I finally get to work on something else!

Extremely impressive moc! It would be great to have you in GoH

Thanks! I'm glad I finally quit lurking and joined up!

You know, this was my first build ever where I attempted to estimate the pieces I used. I gave up at the ~25,000 mark (including the 10K in orange dots). As far as weigh goes, I'd say it was in excess of 60 pounds (we have 50-pound sacks of feed for the cattle, which feel MUCH lighter than the Crater) :grin:

Thank you sir!

Thanks a ton for your interest!!

Well deserved frontpaging. Big and beautiful layout...!!!

Thank you Gunman, means a lot coming from an accomplished builder like you. :sweet:

Very nice MOC ...all that fire is totally cool! :wub: :wub: :wub: The wooden suspended walkway let me speechless! :oh:

Thanks a ton!

Awesome! I'm glad you like it! Your Nocturnus builds are through the roof though. :classic:

Hey futuresportz, honestly I didn't have any kind of master plan and mostly built through trial and error. I think the keys things to consider is having a wide variety of dark bley (or light, if that's your thing) slopes, plates and bricks in your possession. BURPS can be a great base to build a mountain from. Use your unused, multi-color bricks and plates to build up the support on the inside of the mountain. Since no one can see in there, who cares what color you use? :laugh:

Also, try looking at real rock formations to get an idea of what you want to do. Rocks and mountains may look incredibly random but there is still a lot of pattern. Try to replicate that but don't forget about the wilder geological features too (which I admittedly did not do enough of in this MOC) like jutting rocks and loose boulders at the base.

I hope that helps a little. I would love to see what you get together! :classic:

It looks really awesome! Love all the details! :)

Thanks!

That's incredible!! How long did you work on this beauty?

Thanks Konig78! I'd say about three months of build this scene, though it went through several major reincarnations before I settled on the current design.

Really impressive!

I appreciate it Funky Rooster! :grin:

Edited by MassEditor

Awesome!!!

A very big grat MOC.

The stone work is superb as well as the "gate" and details in it.

markus

I should have a look into the history forum more often and not only into the GoH subforum.

This MOC is fantastic, the dark Mordor-architecture and the little interior details like the alchemy table are well done!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback!

Edited by MassEditor

Amazing build! My favorite parts are the wooden section to the left and the nice details such as that ball inside the claws :classic:

The dragon also looks lovely (if such a word can be used here :wink:)