Sign in to follow this  
Athos

Ancient Greece

Ancient Greece  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy these sets?

• Yes, all of them... maybe multiple copies...
    • Yes, most of them...
    • Yes, if they struck my fancy...
    • No, not into Greece... I prefer my sets low-fat
    • You forgot an option...

I'd probably buy these only if they struck my fancy. I'm getting tired of man vs. monster stuff. It seems to be in almost every theme now. :-(

I posted this in the "New Historical Themes" topic a bit ago. Based on this topic, of course. ;-)

556837995_97936b0ac8_b.jpg

556578316_e071d977e3.jpg

And some Roman:

556743151_544f839634.jpg

Ides of March:

558586336_e99522958c.jpg558586328_d7cf70198b.jpg

I'm liking those column designs. Much better than my inverted slope solution. Great looking sets!

Steve

Thanks, guys. *y* But next time, you don't have to quote my entire post, Athos. ;-)

I'm changing the first picture, it's ugly.

This reminded me of a MOC I saw on MOCpages. Only this one is Roman. I was looking for a cool Lego Minotaur when I stumbled across this.

Huh, I only just noticed now that this is also Saber Scorpion's page. :-P See his mocpages page here.

gladiator_vs_minotaur_02.jpg

Edited by iamded

Thanks, guys. *y* But next time, you don't have to quote my entire post, Athos. ;-)

I'm changing the first picture, it's ugly.

Ehhhhh... I didn't feel like editing it down. And besides I'm commenting on each of the sets, so it didn't seem to matter... and finally: ttttpppppttttthhhhhhhhh :-P

Steve

This reminded me of a MOC I saw on MOCpages. Only this one is Roman. I was looking for a cool Lego Minotaur when I stumbled across this.

Huh, I only just noticed now that this is also Saber Scorpion's page. :-P See his mocpages page here.

Well, the last three of my images depict Rome. I've seen Mr. Stebbin's stuff before, but this one isn't one of my very favorites. The 'throne' is rather absurd as far as historical accuracy goes, and the gladiator is baby blue. :-P

I much prefer Mr. Berger's minotaur.

big-minotaur3.jpg

So being an archeologist in the making (still :-/ ) I'd have a hell of a time with Lego doing the classics.

But first one has to decide upon whether you stick to what we REALLY know about the ancient times OR if we give greco-roman mythology our vote. Mixing up sounds fine to me, yet I fear it'd blur the outcome to vehemently to "feel" true. I mean especially the design of architecture and minifigs.

While it appears to be an easy task to emulate antique buildings in brick-media, there'd still be the question of whether the function of Lego's design tendencies (catapults, shooting apparati and other means of hurling potential damaging substances through the air...) would overrule accuracy in form. I begin to imagine a temple of 5 by 7 columns aso., i.e. "Teh /-/0RR0rZ" :-X :-X :-X

As far as mythology is concerned I'd agree to a theme of a general "Minifig versus Monster" outlining.

The classic combinations were mentioned above, yet I think it'd be wiser to stick with a storyline for a while and produce sets for that ere other stories are tackled.

Explanatio:

Imagine year one to begin with the prominent "Iliad & Odysseia" epics. Natural given choices for sets: Troys gate with Hektor and Achilleus battling (bigger set, perhaps with wall-based witnesses, as for instance Andromache), Odysseus at Kirke's home (his companions as swine, similar to HP's shark-head), Aias and Paris battling.

Year two could focus entirely on Herakles' adventures, whereas at least here the lines' major discomfort would strike: Too many reiterations of the same fig, namely the heroes themselves so you'd be smack in another "Multiple Main Character Alias Syndrome©"

Focusing however on ancient every day life would just not work under Lego's modern design guidelines. There just aren't that many catapults in greek agoras or roman fora...too bad.

I see potential in a possible series of sets, yet no feasible way of pulling it off satisfactory. It's a shame.

Year One:

1. Icarus and Daedlus: ($10) two figures with some sort of winged contraptions (like the ninja gliders). One column. (I'm not real sure about this one... anyone got a better idea?)

2. Jason vs. the Dragon ($20): inlcudes Jason, old castle style Dragon, Medea, burpy rock scenery, golden fleece (flag). Skeleton.

3. Hercules vs. Cerebus ($20): includes Hercules and fluffy. Small collonade/temple. White statute figure.

4. Theseus vs. Minotaur ($30): includes Theseus, Ariadne and minotaur figure. Several collonades, maybe on hinges to represent the laberynth. Red string to find way out.

5. Odysseus vs. Sirens ($50): includes small greek ship, with Odysseus and some crewmen. Sirens.

6. Trojan War ($100): includes Achilles, Hector and Priam. Also a couple of Trojan and Greek warriors. Medium Wall of Troy and Trojan Horse. Some Greek tents.

Year Two: I haven't fleshed these out as much, but they would be very similar to the style of the first year ideas.

1. Perseus v. Medusa ($10)

2. Hercules v. Hydra and Centaurs ($30)

3. Bellepheron (on Pegasus) v. Chimera ($20)

4. Odysseus v. Cyclops ($20)

5. Jason (and the Argo) v. Harpies ($50)

Any thoughts for year 3?

Steve

Athos,

I like your ideas for sets a lot. Personally, I agree with most people on this board that I would much rather see armies. One imaginary city-state fighting another imaginary city-state. Much like Classic Castle.

The first year could be 2 Imaginary Greek City States and the second year could introduce a Persian themed faction, or a more Troy style city state. Although the movie was terribly inaccurate, the green/teal armor of the Trojans in the 2004 Movie would make an appealing army. Each faction could come with a few buildings that fit their style.

I think that if Lego did make any Greek theme, it would continue along the same style as the Vikings, as you have pointed out. THere would probably be a bunch of monsters to be built and to fight the Greek heroes, as some have pointed out, Lego doesn't seem to like human on human violence.

I think Star Wars and Batman are exceptions because they are not lego's creation. No parent is going to say "Batman Lego is too violent!" or "Star Wars LEGO is too violent". They criticize the series in general. Lego is safe as long as parents continue to buy Star Wars or Batman toys for their children.

If Lego makes human on human violence, in the new age of oversheltered children, this could steer many parents away. Many of us cannot fathom how parents would do this, but some must.

Despite this, getting a set with 2 Greek Style minifigs and the architecture pieces, plus a (possibly) lame monster is better than getting no greek minifigs at all! That was my view on the Vikings. I have almost every Viking Set, despite hating the monsters.

if we get some accurate greek hoplites, very fine for me.

If we get some accurate roman legionnaires, heaven to me.

But don't mix them! They were not the same cultures!

(I see a terrible vision... Lego uses silver dragon helmets for Romans...)

*runs away in pure madness*

TT

PS I really support the idea of death Romans or Greeks in the adventurers line!

Nice idea,I would buy some, but I don't know if it sells outside the western civilization, because it is to uncommon .(well, I think most dutch also know nothing about greek myth and by the names of Heracles and Ajax only think of Soccer/Football. |-/ )

I agree with the sentiment such a line would not be especially appealing to Lego's target audience; too bad most consumers don't find history or mythology interesting. I would certainly buy them though, I like ancient mythology :-) . Even if the sets weren't that great I'd buy the small ones for useful Greco-Roman parts/minifigs.

Hmmm I hate myth creatures...........

I would rather see a more historic lines like battle packs and trojan wars

Or a rome themed era with shopping markets and tax offices

And of course battle sets :-)

Those are my thoughts

Piranha

Yes, if they struck my fancy.

I think it would be great if LEGO made a Ancient Greece line. I would buy them *IF* they struck my fancy, though. They most likely would be swell though, so the chances are 99 to 1 that I would buy them.

I've always liked Ancient Greece subjects in school and such, that I think they would be great - wait... I already said this... *wacko*

That's my two sents...

Anyway... Yes, if they struck my fancy.

In general LEGO avoid to talk about history and historic war.I think is because they dont want make controversy.But if LEGO made ancient sets i surely buy some of them :-D .

I voted yes, on a pick and choose level.

I like the concept, I just can't imagine it working out in this format due to interest. I think we'll see an expansion of castle into even more mythological/fantasy territory before anything involving other classic eras. If that does happen, some of the concepts behind your ideas could easily be used to create sets that could then be adapted into an unofficial Greek line by AFOLs while still giving the kids their fantasy monsters.

I would have suggested using a lot of these ideas in the Adventurers line, sort of a "Johnny Thunder vs the Cyclops" thing, but Indiana Jones will clearly kill any advance in that area for a few years at least.

Actually Athos,I think you have just predicted the New Greece line :-D

I don't know if it is true but I remember someone telling me that lego was going to do a New Greece line in summer 2008??

Thats why no castle on the 2008 lego list

This is a rumor(?)

Piranha

army patrol:includes2 archers 2horses 1 sword dude(all greek) and a few plants or rocks $5

the collisuem: huge circular building noroof several gates 3 spear/net guys 4 full armor guys 2 guards 3 citizens $100

roman patrol:2 horses 2 archers 1spear and shieldguy $5

archer unit: 9 archers on foot 1 archer on horse(9 greek archers in square formation)$15/20

roman archers9 foot archers i horse archer $15/20

sword unit: 9 greek sword/shild dudes on foot i on horse $15/20

roman soldiers: 9 sword/shield men and 1 horse with rider $15/20

spear unit: 9 greek spear/short sword guys and 1 horse with rider $15/20

roman spearmen: 9 spearmen with short sword and 1 mounted spearman $15/20

chariot attack: 3 chariots 3 horses 3 greek guys $10

roman charioteers: 3 chariots 3 horses 3 romans $10

greek castle: huge castle with 6 greeks 1emperor lots of features 2 greek archers 3roman archers 2 roman spearguys and catapult $100

roman castle: basically the above $100

roman catapult: 2romans 1 catapult $10

greek catapult: the above $10

laders: 2 ladders(siege ladders for castle) 4 roman 4 greek(to carry ladders) $10/15

romangeneral:general on horse and 2 guards $5

greek general:the above $5

later in the year

everthing above, ecxept spartan

all sets include rocks

jifel

Edited by jifel

That'd be over a few years, right? Cause it seems to me like a lot of sets for one.

I like Athos's set ideas, but I'd rather see a Trojan Horse or an island of Circe [Cutty, who's Kirke?].

@hewkii9

Kirke would be the sorceress who turns Odysseus' companions into swine when they, refusing to follow their leader any longer, enter her palace.

Odysseus manages to counteract the same spell (induced by manipulated beverages...) by eating a herb brought to him by Hermes (at least that's what I remember).

The latinized way of scribing her name is "Circe".

And she's not to be mixed up with the nymph Calypso who forces Odysseus to live on her island before Hermes brings order from Mt. Olympos to set him free (after what? 40 years? Good thing he's a heros and therefore, to some extent, age-resistant ;) )

@topic

Perhaps TLC should start with some collector's edition "antiquity-architecture" line and venture into a new theme from there...

spartan

dock invasion: the army is trying to capture the docks! use the catapult to repel the invaders! includes 2 persian archers 2 persian swordmen a persian large boat and a smaller boat also includes dock, spartan

wall, catapult and three spartan spearmen $50/60

spartan outpost: includes 2 towers with a bridge 3 spartan archers 2 spartan spearmen 4 persian spearmen a small boat $20/30

boat battle: includes 2 large boats grapple hooks 2 archers 4 spearmen 3 swordman(persian and spartan 18 figures in all!) includes planks for boarding $60

jifel

I must say Spartan lego figs would look pretty cool. Model them kind of similar to the ones in 300.

A new yellow leg piece with a red armor pattern similar to this 970c00pb13.jpg

A red Torso with printed armor pattern(Breastplates could work, but it would make the Spartan's body look too bulky) The "King" or "Spartan Commander" could have a special design.

A red cape

Any generic angry face would work fine.

And of course, the wicked helmets. There could even be a special Plume piece to stick on the helmet so we could have different colors.

Some round pearl gold shields and regular spears/swords would finish off the figures.

My only concern is facing Persians would probably look bad on Lego's part. I am not politcally correct enough to care - I would simply see it as a story - but many people may see it bad.

Again, as many have said, I think the best bet would be Lego making Spartans vs. Mythical Creatures, or Greek Heroes vs Mythical Creatures.

There is no harm though in imagining what would be cool though!