Sign in to follow this  
SavaTheAggie

Virtual MOC - Santa Fe Union Terminal

Half of it built in 1915, the rest built in 1932, the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad's home office on Galveston Island now is home to the Galveston Railroad Museum and other offices. It stands as the capstone of the historic Strand Street, towering over its neighbors.

13839596875_34c5a6365f.jpg

Santa Fe Union Station by SavaTheAggie, on Flickr

Its a strange building. The part to the left of the tower was built in 1915. The right side and the tower in 1932. And while it looks symmetrical from the front, from any other direction it is anything but (and if you look carefully it isn't fully symmetrical on the front, either).

13828014935_9c6d1f49ec.jpg

Santa Fe Union Station WiP #9 by SavaTheAggie, on Flickr

I've been mulling over building a Mega-build - this one, or the Hotel Galvez also on Galveston Island. I have to admit I have a soft spot for this one.

13041580833_d1d26ddc65.jpg

SantaFeUnionTerminal_41 by SavaTheAggie, on Flickr

The building itself would sit on a 2x5 baseplate footprint, but together with the other out buildings, station platforms, track, and maaaybe the parking lot, the whole complex would take up an excess of 9x5 baseplates. I've selectively compressed the building so it would fit on a smaller footprint than it would have otherwise.

The virtual model you see is still unfinished. The crown is missing certain details still, the front entrance and side are missing lanterns, and nearly all of the back of the first floor is completely missing.

--Tony

Edited by SavaTheAggie

Wow the render looks great! It's nice seeing classic Texas architecture represented on the forums.

Thank you both. It's been quite fun doing something a little different than my norm.

As to if I'll built this building in real bricks, I don't want to make a final decision until I can visit and photograph in detail the Hotel Galvez, the other mega-build I'm considering. It's a Spanish styled beach front hotel built in 1911.

--Tony

Hotel Galvez would be really nice, but I can't wait for someone to attempt the Driskill Hotel in Austin, TX. Is there any reason you are focusing on Galveston?

Great work Tony ...I love the details on the roof!

I hope to see this masterpiece in real lego one day! ;-)

I'll definately building something on this scale. If I do build this one, finishing the building will only be half of the battle. The yard behind the building may not be as challenging a build, but sourcing the parts (and the funds to purchase them) will be a feat.

Hotel Galvez would be really nice, but I can't wait for someone to attempt the Driskill Hotel in Austin, TX. Is there any reason you are focusing on Galveston?

I live within a few miles of Houston city limits, but I am closer to downtown Galveston than downtown Houston. I visit Galveston often, and I consider it to be one of my favorite places. There is a lot of history there, and had things gone differently Houston would be taking a back seat to Galveston in terms of economic power (though I would argue what happened to Galveston was inevitable). Sure, Galveston isn't as pretty as other coastal cities, but it's MY costal city, so to speak.

Additionally, the folks at the Galveston Railroad Museum (who use part of the Santa Fe Union Station as the museum) have always treated me and my club very well, and have done nothing but bend over backwards for us. The idea of building their home in LEGO has a lot of draw for me.

--Tony

Wow very neat!

I also love how it's long!

Is it the place where you have taken the pictures of your kids near the Super Chief?

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

Thanks! Yup, its the same place. The Super Chiefs are a new addition, replacements for two similar engines destroyed in Hurricane Ike. They were going to repaint these to match the old ones, but decided to leave them as is (I'm glad they did).

Additionally, the museum has three steam engines, one of which I've built. There are a few other cars they have I'm tempted to build, including a special flat car and a very posh observation/sleeper coach.

--Tony