post-120275-0-92106600-1397604550.jpg Guys & Gals, Here's a Theo Jansen inspired strandbeest (walker) with 24 legs. It's crankshaft has six points (not 4) like most builders use. It walks pretty well. I'm working on the building instructions which is taking quite a while. I have some learning to do on LDD and LDraw and etc. But here is a still photo and a youtube video.

Very nice indeed ...

Looks like you used ZNAP parts ... correct? If so, I can put the many I have to good use ... at last.

Edited by DrJB

I actually used more znap than what is in the current version. I had cut some znap parts apart in order to create a 5L x5L elbow. But purists would say that's kind of cheating. So, I replaced them with mutiplied parts for the elbows.

Ok, well, if you're 'learning' a CAD package, you need to decide which one. LDD is fairly easy to use, but it does NOT have all the parts (it has NO Znap parts). LDraw has a more complete parts library, but the interface and use are a bit difficult.

Awesome MOC! Will keep an eye on it. First "walking" MOC to catch my eye since the "Fleet Footed Insect" I think it was. And in regards to Purists, bah! It's your Lego.. :grin:

Beautiful, very fluid in its motion! I'd love to see a photo of the crankshaft setup.

I used 16 rotor 3 blade (thin) and 8 1x3 liftarms (thin) for the crankshaft. On one side of the strandbeest the 6 positions are clockwise and the other side is counterclockwise.

post-120275-0-70151300-1397674596_thumb.jpg

Thanks for including the crankshaft photos! I have maybe 8 of those triangular thin liftarms so perhaps I'll make a smaller version of your walker at some point.

I built this thing last year, and it's very cool. Although very difficult to steer with precision.

Also, it scared the sh*t out of our cats! :grin:

Hey folks, I got busy with the next project and forgot to post it here. This is the link to rebrickable for the building instructions and parts list. http://www.rebrickable.com/mocs/Kay/24-leg-walker

I made three more strandbeests; 1. a 16 leg walker; 2. a 16 leg studless walker; and 3. a 24 leg studless version, all with building instructions and parts lists. let me know if you are interested.

Here's video on the latest project: 

It will be on Rebrickable soon.

Edited by 1963maniac
update