Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

17 hours ago, jonwil said:

Although its not technically City, its City-adjacent so this is probably the place for it.

I want to see a new version of the Xtra bicycles polybag. It could include one normal bike (preferably in a color that's new or rare such as yellow but any color other than red and medium azure would probably be OK) and one mountain bike (again in a new color would be good), some of the bike/sport helmets (something more interesting than the common-as-muck light bley in the current bicycles polybag) and some other appropriate accessories to go with the bikes (maybe there are things new since the original polybag was released that would make sense to add)

The plant and food polybags got an update, maybe its time to update the bicycle polybag as well...

Maybe some other bike stuff would be like a bikeshare station, where people can ride bikes from a small mobility hub out into where they need to go if there are no bus or autonomous shuttle links to fill in the First Mile/Last Mile gaps in mass transit.  Also needed are roads with Bike lanes and dedicated bike paths.  That could be even more possible now with the New road system as well

On 2/4/2021 at 4:49 AM, jonwil said:

Although its not technically City, its City-adjacent so this is probably the place for it.

I want to see a new version of the Xtra bicycles polybag. It could include one normal bike (preferably in a color that's new or rare such as yellow but any color other than red and medium azure would probably be OK) and one mountain bike (again in a new color would be good), some of the bike/sport helmets (something more interesting than the common-as-muck light bley in the current bicycles polybag) and some other appropriate accessories to go with the bikes (maybe there are things new since the original polybag was released that would make sense to add)

The plant and food polybags got an update, maybe its time to update the bicycle polybag as well...

I think that would be a go for City. 

Something which I don't believe has been explored in Lego - not recently, in any case - but would absolutely be in keeping with the usual town sets is a milk float. It wouldn't be an expensive set, but it wouldn't need to be - just a small van with a milkman minifigure and a couple of glass bottles (maybe with a white printing to represent milk). If there was a need for an even bigger set, it could easily be expanded to include/released alongside a dairy farm, with a couple of farmers and some cows.

8 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

If there was a need for an even bigger set, it could easily be expanded to include/released alongside a dairy farm, with a couple of farmers and some cows.

Yeah, I feel like a farm theme or the return of the farm subtheme is badly needed. The 2021 tractor set is great, but it would be so much better if there were farm sets available that it could be used with. I don't know how well farm stuff sells for Lego, but it's been more than ten years since the last farm subtheme. :cry_sad:

A milk truck would be fun for play, but perhaps not in common enough use anymore for a city set? I've heard of a few companies in my area bringing back milk delivery recently, but most places in the US, milk delivery hasn't been common for decades. Maybe a milk truck will be seen someday in a winter village set or modular, as those tend to be a bit old-timey themed.

46 minutes ago, Man with beard said:

Yeah, I feel like a farm theme or the return of the farm subtheme is badly needed. The 2021 tractor set is great, but it would be so much better if there were farm sets available that it could be used with. I don't know how well farm stuff sells for Lego, but it's been more than ten years since the last farm subtheme. :cry_sad:

A milk truck would be fun for play, but perhaps not in common enough use anymore for a city set? I've heard of a few companies in my area bringing back milk delivery recently, but most places in the US, milk delivery hasn't been common for decades. Maybe a milk truck will be seen someday in a winter village set or modular, as those tend to be a bit old-timey themed.

Yes! Here is my take on a farm subtheme revival. 

• A mini tractor race set with two tractors (a blue and green one). That would be a Tractor version of the race car duel set from 2020. 
  • A harvest time set with a green harvester and some haybells. 
  • A small set with a beekeeper and some bees 
  • A farm with an old fashioned pickup and a scene where the family is square dancing. 
  • A race horse transport with stable and finish line. Sort of a City version of that Friends set. 

7 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

Something which I don't believe has been explored in Lego - not recently, in any case - but would absolutely be in keeping with the usual town sets is a milk float. It wouldn't be an expensive set, but it wouldn't need to be - just a small van with a milkman minifigure and a couple of glass bottles (maybe with a white printing to represent milk). If there was a need for an even bigger set, it could easily be expanded to include/released alongside a dairy farm, with a couple of farmers and some cows.

I think as an individual city set it might not go well as it is aimed at KFOLs primarily: but in a modular set, where it would both fit well and get the attention to detail and design it deserves.

But as you said in a larger set where it accompanies something else it could work really well. I would probably purchase if it were an individual set though.

5 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

A harvest time set with a green harvester and some haybells.

It would be great to see a harvester with the tractor and trailer to go alongside it, and maybe a small silo too.

A dairy set with a large number of cows (by which I mean maybe four and maybe a calf) would be great, if it also included a milk truck (as in a tanker semi-trailer), milk silo and milking equipment, and perhaps a small milk van too.

A cattle/sheep truck would also be great.

Edited by Stuartn

On 2/16/2021 at 3:56 PM, Brandon Pea said:

Yes! Here is my take on a farm subtheme revival. 

• A mini tractor race set with two tractors (a blue and green one). That would be a Tractor version of the race car duel set from 2020. 
  • A harvest time set with a green harvester and some haybells. 
  • A small set with a beekeeper and some bees 
  • A farm with an old fashioned pickup and a scene where the family is square dancing. 
  • A race horse transport with stable and finish line. Sort of a City version of that Friends set. 

A family square dance scene would be awesome and hilarious :laugh:. Though perhaps too specific to North America for TLG...

A new combine, on the other hand, would have so much universal appeal and I think would do really well!

The harvester from the 2019 truck-with-harvester set was a pretty decent model IMO.

I suspect we wont be seeing a farm theme anytime soon and sets like that and this year's tractor are the best hope we have for farm stuff in City.

Edited by jonwil

1 hour ago, Man with beard said:

A family square dance scene would be awesome and hilarious :laugh:. Though perhaps too specific to North America for TLG...

That's kinda true tho. So I guess we should ex the square dancing piece out. What about the tractor race set though? The tractors are basically recoloured versions of the red tractor from this year. 

7 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

That's kinda true tho. So I guess we should ex the square dancing piece out. What about the tractor race set though? The tractors are basically recoloured versions of the red tractor from this year. 

It is very North American, but if the farm is the majority of the set, showing, say, two figures dancing and dedicating one bag to it wouldn't be all that bad and if it adds another storyline or feature to the set it would be an enhancement. Since or the three city taxis, all have been bright yellow, all steering wheels are on the left/wrong side of six wide vehicles, criminal figures always have the grey-white stripe or orange uniform and bus doors always go to the right side, often unalterably, I think that would actually go down well with non-North American buyers.

Edited by Stuartn

A farm theme would be a nice change, people who are big fans of the castle theme could use the animals for markets etc

It would be nice if they had just some different vehicles and by that I mean just normal cars, SUV's, sports etc. Rather than just one and the normal bin wagon (garbage truck) random monster truck, camper, etc that we get every year

6 hours ago, LegoMFP_David said:

It would be nice if they had just some different vehicles and by that I mean just normal cars, SUV's, sports etc. Rather than just one and the normal bin wagon (garbage truck) random monster truck, camper, etc that we get every year

I would definitely buy the SUV if that one was made as a great vehicle. 

A set at the same price point as the beach rescue ATV, sports car etc but of a Ute (or as you yanks would say, a pickup truck) would be great.

2022 City set idea: To celebrate the 25th anniversary of Lego Island, I'd recommend a set with the cast of Lego Island video games with Billy and Madison meeting them. Maybe a City Adventures movie or a handful of episodes could come from this. Plot ideas if that comes to fore wishing: 

• The Flying Legandoes from the first game worship Billy, believing he is divine.
  • Rooky and Feldman clash over mutual feelings for Pepper. 
  • Nubby Stevens and Tread Octane happen to be cousins. 
Edited by Brandon Pea

Ideas for a possible postal service subtheme:

• A polybag of a mail man on a scooter with a small mailbox included. 
  • Just in case a child is into mail trucks instead of police cars, fire trucks or race cars - perhaps a standalone mail truck with a crate of letters. Could include a little mail box. 
  • The 2020 mail plane was kind of lame. How about a jumbo jet liner instead? Can include several City Mail workers, some mail crates, parcel crates and forklifts. All of this supported with a control tower. Similar to the cargo jet from 2013. 
  • A big rig, somewhat like this to deliver mail long distances. 
  • I heard about this mail service in Wisconsin that involves teens jumping from mail boats to collect and drop off mail. Perhaps something like that can be done for this subtheme. 
  • A motorized mail train with track. 
  • Of course for the base set (I love that term btw), we'll need the headquarters where all the action takes place; the post office! 

Ideas for a cargo subtheme revival

• A mini cargo truck for short distance deliveries
  • A big cargo rig for long distance deliveries. 
  • A jumbo cargo jet, similar to the ones made in the last two cargo subthemes. Though I think the cargo heliplane was better.
  • An updated cargo train - only this time, its owned by the CARGO company.
  • For the base set, how about a ship dock instead of a land cargo terminal? That would be a good excuse to do a cargo ship. 

I think if they did a postie again they should be on a pushbike (a modern version of https://brickset.com/sets/6420-1/Mail-Carrier or so, maybe even bring back the yellow bicycle) rather than a scooter.

I have watched a lot of train videos on YouTube and one thing I see in these videos are what is basically a flatcar with the trailer part of a big-rig tractor trailer unit on the back. One of those (with a matching big-rig truck) would be an intersting thing to include in a future cargo train set. Or maybe a refrigerated boxcar (they could do one branded with Vita Rush branding similar to the real-world boxcars with Tropicana Juice branding).

I would love to see more Asian architecture/ China town? 

The Lunar New Year sets, and Monkie Kid show us the amazing potential 

1 minute ago, Undi3sss said:

I would love to see more Asian architecture/ China town? 

The Lunar New Year sets, and Monkie Kid show us the amazing potential 

This is for City sets though. Ideas like what you've mentioned would be good for a forum on Ninjago or Chinese New Year sets.  

5 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

This is for City sets though. Ideas like what you've mentioned would be good for a forum on Ninjago or Chinese New Year sets.  

I disagree, there's no reason we couldn't have a Chinese restaurant, or some Ramen stands. Maybe a small temple or uh.. whatever those gateways you see over Chinatown districts, in a City playset scale. 

Lego city people have got to be sick of pizza by now.

11 hours ago, jonwil said:

I think if they did a postie again they should be on a pushbike (a modern version of https://brickset.com/sets/6420-1/Mail-Carrier or so, maybe even bring back the yellow bicycle) rather than a scooter.

I have watched a lot of train videos on YouTube and one thing I see in these videos are what is basically a flatcar with the trailer part of a big-rig tractor trailer unit on the back. One of those (with a matching big-rig truck) would be an intersting thing to include in a future cargo train set. Or maybe a refrigerated boxcar (they could do one branded with Vita Rush branding similar to the real-world boxcars with Tropicana Juice branding).

How about some RoadRailers?

I think that would add several new play features for Lego trains and trucks due to the unique nature of the roadrailer 

More variety in food in LEGO City would be great.

It seems to be all hot dogs, chicken wings and pizza, no wonder the minifigs are so fat for their height :)

5 hours ago, Merlict said:

I disagree, there's no reason we couldn't have a Chinese restaurant, or some Ramen stands. Maybe a small temple or uh.. whatever those gateways you see over Chinatown districts, in a City playset scale. 

Lego city people have got to be sick of pizza by now.

You're disagreeing with facts. Again, those are builds that you'd see in a theme like Ninjago. 

I think City theme should include some cool/new botanical pieces in order to create some scenery. I know we had Forest Police subtheme a few years ago but I think it’s best to have some more trees rather than vehicles or buildings. 

Like Wildlife Rescue sets, they may focus on enviorment and wildlife. For example (If i remember correctly), there would be a few trees in some of these sets. And one set would have waterfall (?). 

I need more trees for City! Heard of reforestation? :) 

5 hours ago, jonwil said:

It seems to be all hot dogs, chicken wings and pizza, no wonder the minifigs are so fat for their height :)

LOL, even tho they still stay skinny, i guess it’s time for mold! It’s weird to see sumo wrestler from CMF. 

I agree with you on wide range of food! Japanese, Italian (I’m not referring it to pizza! I was talking about pasta), Chinese, etc, etc. 

5 hours ago, jonwil said:

I do agree there though. I had an idea for a fruit van of some sort. Maybe it could be one of next year's great vehicles. What about a bakery van? 

Edited by Poodabricks