Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

Or more variety of fast food/food trucks. How about a taco/Mexican truck? Or a place doing chicken wings? Or a Chinese restaurant? Or a Barbecue joint? Or even a Fish & Chip shop or seafood restaurant?

Yeah! I've been fighting for Lego to do those more often. They should release a wave of food trucks sometime soon. Vehicles sell much better than stationary buildings so that's probably one of the safer ways to get restaurants without a hole being burned in Lego's wallet. Heck! I'll definitely be finished with the food truck avenue in my town then. Yup! A pretzel van, a hotdog van, a doughnut van. So much potential. 

A wave of race cars or buses would also be a big money maker for Lego too. 

Friends already got a hot dog van (which is dead simple to make work in a City context) and City got a Donut Shop last year, lets see something different, something we haven't seen before :)

Edited by jonwil

TLG: From now on, all our restaurants for City will be food trucks. They'll sell better that way  

:laugh:

Tbh. A van version of the Doughnut shop is kinda different. About the hotdog van...I was thinking more of a more normal look. Not really something that reminds me of the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

TLG: From now on, all our restaurants for City will be food trucks. They'll sell better that way  

:laugh:

I agree, the €20 series of food trucks so far were great (Pizza / Ice Cream) .

I'd still like to see food related buildings but they can better put those in 3-in-1, and then have 3 different shops 

The 3-in-1 Burger truck main build was decent, but the alternate builds were not worthy the 3-in-1 label, and it was a €50 set.

The upside of 3-in-1 buildings also is bigger value out of a set, no need to include vehicles for "action", and overall, I like 3-in-1 buildings a lot more compared to the simpler City builds in terms of parts, especially now that City went 5+/6+ buildings simplified a lot.

I also love the smaller Friends series of buildings that might not see the light in city as easily (juice bar, fashion shop, waffle shop etc.), €20-30 sets with decent value, even tho they are a bit more City like in design with panels and stickers, they still make fun sets, with a different approach.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 8/2/2020 at 8:27 PM, Modeltrainman said:

I'd love to see a trainshed, roundhouse, proper water tower, basically railroad infrastructure.

Me too. But I'd also like to see a subway or a taxi station. I'd also like to see Lego make some more F1 cars for City like the one they did in 2013. 

On 8/2/2020 at 8:25 PM, TeriXeri said:

I also love the smaller Friends series of buildings that might not see the light in city as easily (juice bar, fashion shop, waffle shop etc.), €20-30 sets with decent value, even tho they are a bit more City like in design with panels and stickers, they still make fun sets, with a different approach.

Yeah! Little things like that obviously sell better with girls than boys. That's prolly why we don't see those kinds of things too often in City. Though I'm quite surprised that my second favorite City subject, which is race cars, do much better under friends than in City. I remember when I was a little boy. I recall collecting every single race car related set under the Race subtheme for Town back in the days. I'm also sure that in Lego's biggest market (which is Europe), racing a huge thing. So I doubt they would do terrible under City. I mean, yes we do have Speed Champions. But what about customers who want generic race cars? That's something Lego should consider.

I do have to give the designers of City credit where its due though. 60025, 60053, 60082, 60113, 60151, 60178 all the way up to 60256 were race car sets. Yes you can put monster trucks, buggies and imports in there. But when I say race cars, I'm talking about the type of race cars you'd race on the track or in the WRC. Now City has done race car sets. But I think generic Lego motorsports needs a wave of their own under City. I have two boys and they love race cars just as much as they do with police cars, fire trucks and helicopters. Racing also provides plenty of ready made action for kids. Speed Champions is technically a licensed theme as they use real cars.  

As for the burger truck,  I feel that could've done much better as a City set. They should've sold it alongside the ice cream truck. That way, we can have two City food trucks this year. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

I would like to see a passenger train with more of a flat front (and different interior) similar to what you might see on the New York Subway or the London Underground.

On 8/2/2020 at 11:30 PM, jonwil said:

I would like to see a passenger train with more of a flat front (and different interior) similar to what you might see on the New York Subway or the London Underground.

You mean, like the Bombardier M7A?

MNCR_M7A_Univ_hts.JPG

I feel you there. I've been screaming for something like that and a streetcar. Though I was kinda hoping for the streetcar to be blue and standalone under a public transportation subtheme for City with the <-o-> sign on it and track included. Not really included in a town D2C set. But I guess it's better than nothing. 

Then there is my favorite City subject - buses. We need a wave of those. We haven't gotten a bus in two years. Let's count the times we've gotten buses, shall we? 2009, 2010, 2013, 2017 and 2018. That's only 5 times. I'm pretty sure buses would do well if given fair chances and there is plenty of ready made action there. I recommended a slick way to get buses out there in a previous comment. Check that out. 

City Subtheme Idea 7: Sanitation Workers

• Trash Duty - re-release of 60118. Includes Shirley Keeper from Lego City Adventures
  • Ocean Garbage Vessel - includes large ship (which is really two hauls connected), garbage elements and workers
  • Recycle Center - includes building with working conveyor belt, crane, garbage bulldozer, Shirley Keeper from LCA and some other workers
  • Street Sweeping Truck - includes street sweeping truck, dust elements and sanitation worker
  • Garbage Train - includes locomotive, garbage car, oval track layout, garbage incinerator area and workers

City Subtheme Idea 8: Medical 

• Accident Response Team - includes ambulance, ambulance helicopter, injured bikers and paramedics 
  • Medicine Transport Service - includes transport plane, transport van, doctors, sick patient and van driver
  • Mobile Medical Unit - includes mobile medical truck, doctors and patient
  • House Call - includes doctor's car, small home, doctor, sick child and parents 
  • Hospital - includes hospital building, doctors car, drone, paramedic and three doctors
  • Rail Ambulance - includes rail car with ambulance style interior, oval track layout, station with waiting ambulance, doctor and patient. 
Edited by Brandon Pea

10 minutes ago, Modeltrainman said:

How about a hospital train? Amtrak_hospital_train.jpg

That could actually work. Personally, I think that trains getting a subtheme to themselves is kinda weird. I'd prefer to have them under subthemes named after types of jobs like police, fire, airport, etc. 

Great Vehicle Ideas 1

• Blue Bendy Bus - My dude Benjamin from Facebook made one of these and it was pretty goddamn neat. Here is a picture of it along with a cutaway bus and a short line bus. I drive a bendy bus actually in my hometown's transit company and even though it requires great skill, I also consider it kinda fun.
  • School Bus - Wouldn't it be awesome for a future City Great Vehicles wave to have two buses? You've seen the school bus from Friends and Hidden Side, but here is the first one from City.  
  • City Food Market Straight Truck - You know what's amazing, I haven't seen Lego do a food transporter truck that takes food to grocery stores yet. Includes Mr. Producci from Lego City Adventures.
  • Octan 8x8 Heavy Wrecker - the last time we got an actual heavy duty wrecker was in 2014 and boy was it an amazing set. But my heart really desires one similar to the one from the old garage set which was an 8x8. Includes Harl Hubbs in an Octan suit.
  • City Mail Postal Van - Another vehicle that we haven't seen in over a decade since 2008. I'm thinking a much bigger version of that van - 6 stud wide to be exact. 
  • TV 6+ Mobile News Station - Yes! Yes! Yes! I know. There was something like that in the doughnut shop opening set. But would it be too much to ask for a fully decked out one similar to the police mobile units that Lego has made. Includes Gabby ToCamera from Lego City Adventures. 
  • Airport Fire Truck - Perhaps an upgraded version of the one from 2014 with Buster Lloyd and Fireman Bob from Lego City Adventures. 
Edited by Brandon Pea

I'd like to see some motorcross or superbike racing type sets.

Even if the racing bikes use stickers for branding, still could bring some nice new colors and racing figures.

Motorcross set could have some dirt ramps, and the superbike set could have a start/finish line or checkered flag + podium, or pit-stop.

I know motorcycles haven't been that rare in City and other themes lately, 2017 Jungle, 2018 Police offroad, 2019 Fire/Police, 2020 Police/garage and other themes, but getting more bikes in €10-€20 sized sets is always nice, especially if it's a new color.

Also hopefully the new 2020 motorcycle frame will appear more in small sets and colors in the future.

585290.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

We did get sets previously like https://brickset.com/sets/60084-1/Racing-Bike-Transporter and https://brickset.com/sets/4433-1/Dirt-Bike-Transporter but I do agree that more racing stuff (especially actual tracks and such rather than just the vehicles) would be nice to see.

Although it might be that such things would be too close to Speed Champions sets like https://brickset.com/sets/75889-1/Ferrari-Ultimate-Garage and https://brickset.com/sets/75883-1/Mercedes-AMG-Petronas-Formula-One-Team and https://brickset.com/sets/75912-1/Porsche-911-GT-Finish-Line (although to be fair those are for cars and not bikes)

On 8/3/2020 at 3:23 PM, supertruper1988 said:

This isnt a real hospital. "Hospital train" refers to a train that has broken equipment in the consist. 

@TeriXeri @jonwil I agree! If Lego were to release an entire wave of generic racing cars for City similar to the ones from 60256, I think a hole would be burned in my wallet because I'm buying them all. 

2 hours ago, jonwil said:

I would buy a bendy bus no question if they did the bendy part right.

Yeah! I think that would be the only hard part. But if they figured out how to use an easier to build water pumping system for fire trucks in 2019 and magnet system for the 2020 police wave, they can find a way to do this. 

I need to repost it, but I had a bus set on Lego Ideas that could become a bendy bus with the purchase of another set and alternate instructions like what older sets had

I really like your set ideas, @Brandon Pea. Which I really don't understand is why TLG hasn't already released a new tank truck and a new (container) harbor.

Yes, some new or new colored plants would be great, @TeriXeri. Although I think it's unlikely, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the cypres tree one day again (the hay fork and the forestmen hat came back, too).

I can't agree more about that there have to be more shops for City, @jonwil! Therefore imo it's a pity that the new D2C City set doesn't include one (but a burger bar although we got a burger stall last year and nearly the same looking burger bar in the Friends theme two years ago).

Since I can't imagine that there'll be any more City set this year (60269 is only listed at stonewars and nowhere else), here are my predictions for 2021:

Winter wave:

• Water Police or Prison (Island) Police or Jungle Police (three til six sets and a 4+ set)
  • regular Police (two 10€ sets)

Spring wave:

• Great Vehicles (five til six sets and a 4+ set)
  • Construction Site or Demolition Site (three sets and a 4+ set)

Summer wave:

• Jungle Explorers (three til six sets and a 4+ set)
  • civilian set (supermarket / line of shops / skate park / ...)

Fall wave:

• .?. Police (three 20€ sets)
  • D2C set: exclusive Jungle Explorers set
  • advent calendar

What do you think?

On 8/9/2020 at 5:37 PM, Klaus-Dieter said:

What do you think?

I hope it goes like this.

Winter Wave

• Snow Police - The one type of police wave I haven't seen yet is one that takes place in the snow. How about Snow Police anyone? You know like Duke chasing Daisy on skis or Rooky and Sam trying to apprehend Hacksaw Hank who's getting away in a shovel truck. 
  • Arctic Expedition - Because you know why. 

Spring Wave

• Cargo - A follow up to the 2013. Though I'm thinking of a ship dock as the base set instead of a land terminal. 
  • Public Transport - Tourist are coming to Lego City and after winter, the citizens are getting back to work. 
  • Forest Explorers - Its not just city dwellers who are enjoying the springtime weather. But its outdoor enthusiasts who are enjoying it too - in the form of Forest explorers. 

Summer Wave

• Coast Guard - The sea needs to be kept safe too, especially during the summer. 
  • Roadside Assistance - People love to go out on drives during the summer. But sometimes a faulty car is out on the road. This is where the City's towing service comes into play. 
  • Dessert Exploration -Speaking of "Hot Topics", wildlife in the hot desert is taking advantage of the hot weather too. 

Fall Wave

• Race - Fall is sports season. Especially for racing fans. 
  • Farm - Farmers also harvest their crops in the fall. 
Edited by Brandon Pea

I think it's way too early for a Arctic (2018) , or Jungle (2017) wave again.

I'd think Arctic could be possible in 2022 (4 year gap like 2014-2018), and Jungle maybe in 2023 (5 year gap between the 2 Ocean exploration waves).

Like sure, Arctic has plenty of explore, like more focus on Antarctica and Orca/Penguin/Seals, and Jungle as well can have many new types of birds land or water animals.

For 2021 , I'd much rather see something like Savannah (Elephant / Zebra / Giraffe), Desert (Fennek / Camel / Oryx), Mountains/Highlands (Camel / Ibex / Condor) , animals are just examples.

Or Cave Exploration / Tunnel construction if it has to be more industrial.

Edited by TeriXeri

I dont see why we need to get the same thing over and over again. Come on LEGO, do something different and new for once.

If LEGO makes sets with new animals such as giraffe, zebra, hippo, rhino, lion (male this time as opposed to the female from the Safari Truck) or Wildebeest I would buy them in a heartbeat.

Or if they did an "Outback Explorers" with animals like Kangaroos, Emus, Koalas, Platypus and Goannas, I would buy those no question as well.

I would even maybe take some more Jungle stuff if they did something like an African jungle or swamp setup with new animals we haven't seen before such as a Gorilla. Heck, some of the animals mentioned for the "Savannah" stuff could also fit African jungles/swamps as well e.g. hippos.

But I already own the big Arctic mobile base with the mammoth, the snow truck with the polar bear and the small figure pack and have zero interest in more Arctic sets even if they did come with new animals like the rumored whale.

As for things like Coast Guard, they could go in the same direction but different by doing something like "Mountain Rescue" (rescue helicopters, mountain rescue base, stuff like that)

51 minutes ago, jonwil said:

I dont see why we need to get the same thing over and over again. Come on LEGO, do something different and new for once.

Aren't you one of the majority of people on here who defended the police sets being made year after year? I remember you being one of the people saying that the repetition in City is what brings success. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

But I already own the big Arctic mobile base with the mammoth, the snow truck with the polar bear and the small figure pack and have zero interest in more Arctic sets even if they did come with new animals like the rumored whale.

It sounds like you need some Arctic Police to go with them.

I do think police stations are good parts packs (at least most of the ones they have done are) :)

I do think there are things we haven't seen in police (or haven't seen in a long time) like how about some mounted police riding horses? Or how about water police with some police boats and maybe some police divers or something?

Surely there is room for things that are different to what we got last time but still appealing to kids and adults alike...

Edited by jonwil