Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

33 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

But that doesn't mean that they can't have a City Barber at some point. maybe not 2020, but with the overlap between themes not impossible, especially now that City is making more shops again (2019 Donut/Toy Shop, Ski Resort Shop)

It could be in 2020. Don't forget, we still have no idea on this year's town planning set. May include shops that City has never done before. 

Set Ideas/Wishlist 1

• Driving School - Similar builds and piece count for set 60258. 
  • Recycle Center - This should only require a small package. 
  • Harbor - Good chance to utilize the new magnet piece and to introduce a new character: a sailor named Wanda Waves.
  • News Station - Doubt it'll sell. Only action would be the flying pull-cord helicopter and the drone. 
  • Construction Site - Perfect opportunity to see another use of the magnet piece. 
  • School - A little skeptical on this one. It might sell, but I wouldn't get my hopes up on this one. I don't think it'll get past being on a wishlist for City sets. 
Edited by Brandon Pea

@pooda You are always coming up with so many great ideas for city that I would never even think of! For example the driving school and the recycling center. I would love to see those be sets one day. 

31 minutes ago, Collector245 said:

For example the driving school and the recycling center. I would love to see those be sets one day. 

There is a Driving School set made in 2019 but sadly it's exclusive to LEGOLAND parks so not City :sad:

Of course the design is very stylized towards the kids attraction in the parks themselves , but seeing something like this in City could work for sure.

40347-1.jpg?201901051045

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, Collector245 said:

@pooda You are always coming up with so many great ideas for city that I would never even think of! For example the driving school and the recycling center. I would love to see those be sets one day. 

Like @TeriXeri said, it could actually happen. Especially with the recycle center. They should utilize both the conveyor belt and magnet pieces for that one. How about a garbage truck to compliment it? 

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

There is a Driving School set made in 2019 but sadly it's exclusive to LEGOLAND parks so not City :sad:

Of course the design is very stylized towards the kids attraction in the parks themselves , but seeing something like this in City could work for sure.

40347-1.jpg?201901051045

I agree! If its something similar to the tuning workshop, then its gotta work. Especially if it has the same piece count and a similar build. But they'll have to use normal cars - not hot rods and stuff like that. 

Edited by pooda

I would like to applaud whichever genius at LEGO invented the "Great Vehicles" line. I own a whole bunch of them and have also been collecting parts (using my collection and parts I buy second hand) to build a bunch more. Its a great way to get all sorts of neat vehicles (the ones I am collecting parts for include the logging truck, yellow & grey cement mixer and several garbage trucks)

And this year is even better with vehicles like the Safari Truck (which I will likely be buying tomorrow)

@jonwil For me, I would like to tip my hat towards the person who came up with the idea of making motorsports more prominent in City again. I'm a gearhead myself. 

Edited by pooda

Set Ideas/Wishlist 2

• Mayor's Home - The only way to obtain a Mayor Fleck minifigure. 
  • Post Office - Put a mail dispenser in there for some action 
  • Restaurant - Just a thought. Perhaps a deliveryman who is a nod to Pepper. Any ideas for action? 
  • Grocery Store - Needs action. Any ideas?
  • WiFi Tower - Don't beat me up! I just had the thought. 
  • Taxi Depot - HEY!!!!! It could happen. 
Edited by Brandon Pea

I'd like to see in future Lego City sets also:

• Office building (a building with a minimalist and essential style);
  • Stage for concerts / stage for political meetings (maybe aggregated to a public park);
  • Capitol (with politicians, police and demonstrators);
  • A proper metro station;
  • Plumber works in a house or street;
  • Chemical plant / factory;
  • A new modern and detailed train station (with a modern architectural style);
  • Art gallery.

@ParmBrick

• I would also like to think that an office would be possible. Maybe not standalone, but as part of one of the town planning sets that come out during the summer.
  • Musical festival people pack anyone?
  • I'm going to have to say no, considering Lego's rules about keep politics out of their sets. 
  • Maybe as part of a subtheme centered around the public transportation system. To date, we have never had a proper metro station. A rapid transit train would be possible though.
  • How about a plumber's van with a port-a-loo?
  • I saw something like that on Lego Ideas. I hope it gets pass.
  • Yeah....I've been waiting to see one of those in stores again. I guess we'll either have to order one of the older ones or make our own until then.
  • Another one that you could find in a town planning set. 

City Wishlist 3

• Doctor's Car - A 4+ set that includes a small car with an injured civilian and a doctor. Somewhat like the Dog Unit 
  • Ambulance Helicopter Transport - Basically 60244 repainted to fit the medical side of the city's first responders. Only the helicopter is big enough to fit one patient. 
  • Medicine Transport System - Includes a heliplane and a van 
  • Mobile Medical Unit - I was initially going to call this one, the bloodmobile. But that one would be too scary for children. So I called it this instead.
  • Hospital - 60204 re-release 

On 1/8/2020 at 11:32 PM, Collector245 said:

A recycling centre already was a set. Mind you, 8 years ago now.

4206-2.png

On 1/12/2020 at 4:25 AM, Brandon Pea said:

• How about a plumber's van with a port-a-loo?
  • I saw something like that on Lego Ideas. I hope it gets pass.

60073-1.png

Not a plumber, but easy enough to sticker a plumber or blue overalls guy in it.

@MAB You don't need to state the bloody obvious and ruin good conversations. The first one wasn't even a center. It was a recycling truck sold under the Great Vehicles line for 2012. The second truck that you showed wasn't really standalone. It was part of a demolition experts theme that has been off of the shelves since 2017. 

EDIT: On top of that, this seems to be something that almost everybody on this community does. Whenever we wish for something, people tend to bring up sets that have long been off of the shelves. Those two sets have been off of the shelves since the mid 2010s. Can you please stop using dead sets as examples for these types of topics? Its kinda annoying. 

Especially when using it as a reason to justify why City can't do more. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

I wouldn't take showing that something has been done before personally. It is discontinued but its also pointing out that one can get almost exactly what was asked for only $4 more than the original retail price on Bricklink, plus shipping and handling. Not bad for a set that hasn't been on shelves for almost 5 years. A half-decade-since-discontinued modular building would be like $486 used and covered in mucous and hair.

It also illustrates how thorough Lego has been in making so much of what fans want and is also inspiration to either find the parts in one's collection, download the instructions for free and build it from parts on hand or MOC one's own.

17 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

I wouldn't take showing that something has been done before personally. It is discontinued but its also pointing out that one can get almost exactly what was asked for only $4 more than the original retail price on Bricklink, plus shipping and handling. Not bad for a set that hasn't been on shelves for almost 5 years. A half-decade-since-discontinued modular building would be like $486 used and covered in mucous and hair.

It also illustrates how thorough Lego has been in making so much of what fans want and is also inspiration to either find the parts in one's collection, download the instructions for free and build it from parts on hand or MOC one's own.

But what's the point in doing that though? That only ruins the fun of making wishlists. That's what I came to this forum to have. FUN!!! Its no fun knowing what's already be made and "facts". When I graduated high school, I thought that crap was what I was escaping from. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Just because a set has been done before doesn't mean it's one and done.

Wishing for new sets is always valid imo.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, TeriXeri said:

Just because a set has been done before doesn't mean it's one and done.

That's what a lot of people make it seem. That's why doing that gets on my nerves. If that theory was true (that sounded contradictory there) then we wouldn't have a hospital on the shelves. Well....let me not use that one because first responder sets are kinda big money makers so the hospital isn't a good example.

SERVICE STATION!!!!!

We wouldn't have gotten four in the years 2007, 2012, 2016 and 2020 if the "one and done" theory was correct. 

39 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

@MAB You don't need to state the bloody obvious and ruin good conversations. The first one wasn't even a center.

Someone else said they would like to see a recycling centre as a set, so I showed how LEGO has done one in the past. And although the set is called recycling truck, it is actually a centre. The bins are in place and there is a forklift truck at the centre too. I never said anything about them not making another one or have tried to kill your dreams, just showing another user what a recycling centre is likely to look like.

Same with a portaloo on a plumbers truck. Any new one is likely to look like the existing portaloo on a construction truck. I don't understand what you mean by it wasn't a standalone truck. It was - set 60073.

60073-1.png

@MAB Well sorry for the misunderstanding! I didn't comprehend that. Where I come from, when someone says "That's already happened!" that means "That's all you're gonna get! Now take your butt outta here!". Then again, I do live in DC where people aren't very welcoming to old ideas. So that's the issue. 

Overall....that's sorta what I had in mind - only with a little office to accommodate it. I was also thinking of an actual plumber's van that's about the size of the police van from set number 60245. As for the port-a-loo, one similar to that one in the service truck was in my head too. Though I was responding to another member's comment. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

I'm solidly for the posting examples of 'wishlist' items that have been done before; its cool to see the history of sets and how far Lego has come.

3 hours ago, koalayummies said:

I'm solidly for the posting examples of 'wishlist' items that have been done before; its cool to see the history of sets and how far Lego has come.

Well thank goodness for that. I'm for making wishlist for things that have never been done by City before as long as they are reasonable. I only give ideas that are reasonable. If it's not reasonable to you, that means either one of two things. My ideas are not targeting your age range or you're just too narrow minded. I'm not talking about you as a person, I mean "you" as in people in general. 

Hey! This is from a car guy to another car guy. Why practically got four car past related subthemes in one. I'm all for them coming to for wishing too. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

City Set Wishlist 4

• Telephone Repair - I'm thinking of a present day version of Town Jr set number 6422. 
  • Light Repair Truck - a cross between 3179 and 60004. It would have to be six stud wide though to be within today's City standards. 
  • Windmill - If power functions has anything to do with this, get ready to save up your allowances kids or ask mom and dad to buy it for your birthday. This will not be cheap. Sorta reminds me of that wind turbine set from 2009. Only the windmill would be standalone with some type of 4x4. 
  • Barbed Wire Transport - Maybe with some of that string, Lego could make it work. 

These were actually part of a Power subtheme idea. I actually scrapped it. But I thought I'd share it with you guys anyway.

Edited by Brandon Pea

I'd still like any small City set that comes with a full set of tools , Telephone Repair did back in the day : 

I mean those tools :

11402.png

With the garage theme, it still surprises me they didn't include this in any set, but did put it in a 4+ set last year with Benny's Fix shop.

I think of something like this set , 60115-1: 4 x 4 Off Roader

60115-1.jpg?201511180804

I realise they did a rally car with scorpion like that in 2019 , but in general I'm just speaking of a ~€15-€20 set with tools, a vehicle, and Octan branded figures are a bonus.

Or how about a smaller set with 1-2 of the new 2020 classic motorcycles and tools, like Motorcycle repair/tuning: 

Or something like this , and then using classic bikes instead of race bikes, with a more garage oriented direction instead of racing, with a set of tools, possibly add welder mask+tool instead of podium.

60084-1.jpg?201411050841

Edited by TeriXeri

10 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I realise they did a rally car with scorpion like that in 2019 , but in general I'm just speaking of a ~€15-€20 set with tools, a vehicle, and Octan branded figures are a bonus.

Or how about a smaller set with 1-2 of the new 2020 classic motorcycles and tools, like Motorcycle repair/tuning: 

Hmmmm...... It would be nice to see a nod to the old motorcycle shop again. We did get the tuning workshop, but that set gives me more of a vibe to the this set more than the motorcycle shop. Though you consider the tuning workshop a cross between the two.