Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

On 9/28/2021 at 2:53 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

Yeah I agree.  The trains subtheme in itself shouldn’t be a thing.  Stations and passenger trains should be part of a public transport subtheme (we could easily have enough to make with a couple more sets) whilst cargo trains would be in a cargo subtheme.  Cranes and lorries would be part of this too.

I feel like beyond the standard trains others could be parts of other subthemes as well.  For a start, fire trains do exist, even if rare.  A maintenance of way (MOW) train could be in the construction subtheme.  A car transporter train could be for some great vehicles type thing.  Circus trains have existed in the past.  Hospital trains also have existed - particularly in wartime - a prime preserved example can be found at the National Railway Museum, York, UK (arguably the best railway museum globally, as trains were basically invented by the British).  RPOs (Railway Post Offices) were big in the USA for years.  Fuel train for Octan.  Even prisoner transport trains exist.  NASA had a train at one stage.

It’s never going to happen, but a train could easily be added to every subtheme, and the trains theme abolished.  

THANK YOU!!!!!! Someone finally agrees with me. I agree with everything said here. I mean think of it this way; we don't have a subtheme called "Trucks" or "Planes" or dare I say it, "Police Cars". So why should trains get special treatment. Subthemes should be limited to popular jobs or industries such as police, fire, medical, public transport, farm, etc. Not to vehicles or environments (but the latter is another story). With that being said, merge Great Vehicles into town (which would represent less popular lines of work) and put certain ones into their respective subthemes. Though for the fuel car and auto transport, recent cargo trains have pretty much covered those. 

BTW, I love the idea of a hospital train. Ever since I saw Jangbrick's video on his custom trains, I have been fighting for Lego to do one of those. A police and fire train too. 

EDIT: If they plan on bringing Coast Guard back, there used to be trains that were owned by the navy, coast guard and marines that were used to transport soldiers and supplies to the bases. Then there are breakdown trains that exists in real life too, especially in the United Kingdom, that are used to tow engines and rolling stock that are broken to the shop - which would be a good thing for a garage subtheme like the one in 2009. 

Edited by Poodabricks

If there will be a Cargo Train, a Grain Hopper car could be interesting, a lot of grain is grown in central asia far far away from the sea, grain would be more ecological compared to a coal hopper.

Edited by TeriXeri

How about 'normal' City stuff.

I'd love to see a:

grocery store/food market,

another port, cargo ships,

restaurants/food stands with different foods - sushi for example,

a city works yard/department

theatre - ie for plays or musicals

parking enforcement truck/moped

office building

non-friends vet clinic

car stealership

library

3 hours ago, Some Guy With LEGO said:

How about 'normal' City stuff.

I'd love to see a:

grocery store/food market,

another port, cargo ships,

restaurants/food stands with different foods - sushi for example,

a city works yard/department

theatre - ie for plays or musicals

parking enforcement truck/moped

office building

non-friends vet clinic

car stealership

library

And a post office, service center and a parking lot. 

I'd love to see a City Zoo - something like the one in  Central Park, Manhattan. I know Lego may not wish to promote captivity of animals so more 'Beyond The City' style sets would also be fine with me, as I love the safari sets and jungle adventures. I would like a sea lion mould (non-Friends), which would perhaps work best as part of a zoo or perhaps a wildlife film crew on a boat. Perhaps we will get a sea lion in the collectible minifigures as it would be a reasonable size to fit in the packet.

1 hour ago, lifeinplastic said:

I'd love to see a City Zoo - something like the one in  Central Park, Manhattan. I know Lego may not wish to promote captivity of animals so more 'Beyond The City' style sets would also be fine with me, as I love the safari sets and jungle adventures. I would like a sea lion mould (non-Friends), which would perhaps work best as part of a zoo or perhaps a wildlife film crew on a boat. Perhaps we will get a sea lion in the collectible minifigures as it would be a reasonable size to fit in the packet.

I hope they bring the Outback/Desert subtheme from the 90s back. That was during the dark ages. But those sets were pretty neat. The Outback subtheme has plenty of animal mould opportunities such as kingaroos, camels, ostriches and woodpeckers. There can also be a komodo dragon starter set with an explorer running - those are pretty deadly animals. 

Edited by Poodabricks

Yeah "Outback Explorers" in City would be great. So many potential new animal molds like Kangaroos, Emus, Platypus, Koalas, Frill-Neck Lizards, bearded dragons and more to pick from. Existing molds they could use include the snake, spider, crocodile, frog and maybe (like they did in the Wildlife Rescue theme this year) repaint the eagle in another pattern to represent an Australian bird of prey of some sort.

Give the minifigs fedoras (which are a good match to the Akubra style hat that's associated with the Aussie outback) and have a ute (the Aussie version of a pickup truck) in there.

5 hours ago, lifeinplastic said:

I guess that most people who want a zoo, pick up these jungle and safari sets, and then make their own.  Zoos divide opinion, and most zoos now are getting more like safari parks, at least in the uk.

I don't think the classic concept of Zoo is coming (back) to LEGO.

However, there are still Duplo sets with wild animals in 2019, they just aren't fenced in.

10907-1.jpg?201905140825

Compared to 2012 Zoo :

6157-1.jpg?201112020303

I'd like to see City do more Park, and Forest / Desert / Caves exploration/conservation.

Edited by TeriXeri

I'd like to see a 6 wide version of this

4525032.jpg

However, this 6 wide window does exist,  would like to see more uses in something like a helicopter/airplane/train.

6332850.jpg

I would love to see LEGO roadside motor hotel (motel). It could include a few furnished motel rooms with exterior entrances leading to the parking lot, an office, a restaurant, and an outdoor pool, plus parking for various cars. The set could include two hotel employees, a family, a businessman and two cars and a truck. My basic inspiration for this idea is those pictures of the small roadside Best Western motels I saw in a Flickr photo gallery that were found in cities and towns all over the United States and Canada from the 1950 to the 1990s.

I would like to see the LEGO Group model their next City hotel after roadside motor hotels, which are commonly found throughout North America, like this Best Western motel, which was once located in Winslow, Arizona, USA:

3518161001_96a0e2f6d5.jpg

I know Lego probably won't do this one and to be honest, I was also obstinate about Lego doing an Army subtheme for City. I'm speaking of focusing only on the non-violent aspect of the army such as refugee rescuing, survival kit transporting and the physical aspect of basic training. Medivacs that transport injured people can be somewhat represented here too. So without further to do, let me explain. Remember the officer exchange program episode of Lego City Adventures where Gracie Goodhart comes in from the sister city to Lego City. But we never see the sister city so let's build this subtheme around that. So this subtheme takes place during a major economic collapse in the sister city. Famine and pestilence happen in the sister city too. Mayor Fleck enlists the help of some soldiers to go and rescue the people from the sister city - which turns out not to be a lot - and brings them to Lego City where they will be much happier. 

• Refugee Transport - Following the loss of their livelihoods, several people decide to head to Lego City to pursue better lives. So, the members of the Lego City Army go to rescue them. Maybe this could come with a transport bus and a transport truck. 
  • Medivac - Hunger isn't the only thing that is going on in the sister city, illness is too. The medivac comes and transports the sick refugees to the hospital. Could come with a helicopter with a winch and stretcher along with two soldiers and a sick civilian. 
  • Army Ocean Vessel - NO GUNS INCLUDED!!!!! Eventually, the other refugees give up and the remainder hop on board the ocean vessel where they will be taken to the base. Includes a big ship with several soldiers and refugees. 
  • Military Base The base set for this subtheme. The refugees are all rescued and can now live nice lives. Until they get on their feet, they are allowed to live on the base freely while being protected from crime by the soldiers. Includes two houses, a toll both, a jeep all supported by some road plates. 
  • Basic Training Polybag - Just for comic relief. Could include a stressed out soldier in training lifting some weights while an angry drill sergeant is in his face. 

So that would be my take on an Army subtheme. It can be done without any mention of killing or war. Think of it as something like medical, coast guard and wildlife rescue put together - only as for the latter, it involves people. Not animals. 

Edited by Poodabricks

I want to see more retail shops and businesses in City.

How about a doctors surgery? (not the hospital like we got this year but a typical GP office)

Or an optometrist? (all those minifigs wearing the neat-looking eye wear need to get it from somewhere)

How about a butcher shop?

Or a shop selling entertainment stuff (record shop, video game shop, cell-phone shop, computer shop, stuff like that)?

Or a hardware store?

Or a gym?

Or a bowling alley?

Or a video arcade?

More variety in food would be nice as well (instead of everyone in LEGO City eating pizza, hot dogs and ice-cream all the time...). Those Friends food trucks (on my wish list, just need to wait for the right sale) are a good start but more like that in City please.

Edited by jonwil

17 hours ago, jonwil said:

How about a doctors surgery? (not the hospital like we got this year but a typical GP office)

Or an optometrist? (all those minifigs wearing the neat-looking eye wear need to get it from somewhere)

Or a shop selling entertainment stuff (record shop, video game shop, cell-phone shop, computer shop, stuff like that)?

Or a hardware store?

Or a gym?

Or a bowling alley?

Or a video arcade?

More variety in food would be nice as well (instead of everyone in LEGO City eating pizza, hot dogs and ice-cream all the time...). Those Friends food trucks (on my wish list, just need to wait for the right sale) are a good start but more like that in City please.

I think a doctor’s surgery would work well as a modular building. I would also love a printed Snellen chart (the eye test) tile.

I’d also like a modular fishmonger.

On 2/20/2022 at 1:43 AM, jonwil said:

Or a hardware store?

Or a gym?

Or a bowling alley?

Or a video arcade?

Sounds great!

What about clothing shop? Take a look at Diagon Alley set. It has Qudditch Quailty Supplies. 

You could see a mannequin, Quitditch uniforms folded neatly into shelves. I think it’s real neat to see clothes folded and stored into shelves neatly. 

Ok so guys! I saw this episode of City Adventures and it gave me an idea. 

Helicopterphobia Home

There was this episode where Madison's mom gets on Harl for moving the home for people who are afraid of helicopters near there helicopter testing facility. Which leads me to another idea for a set. 

Helicopter Testing Facility

Cmon! Helicopters are popular enough in City, if not being the most popular type of vehicle in the theme. Why not have a base set dedicated to helicopters? This set could also have the first ever H pad road plates. 

The family home for 2021 was a huge step in the right direction for City as we now know that there are places to live in Lego City. Here is my idea for more types of houses.

• Small house
  • Condominium 
  • High Rise
  • Cabin
  • Town House 
  • Cape Cod 
  • Dacha 
  • Loft House 
  • Beach House

I know they'll never do it, but a Comic-Con set would be cool, there could be celebrity booths, stalls, a stage, minifigure cosplayers, crossovers with licensed themes maybe like Sonic the Hedgehog, Star Wars, Marvel/DC etc..  It would be a cool way to get more minifigs in interesting costumes that could fit in with Castle/Space/Adventurers/Agents etc.. without having to wait for the limited occasional characters in various CMF series

@Poodabricks, No t sure whe an by “Cape Cod”? I mean that’s Cape Cod in Massachusites. Are you talking about colonial-style houses up there?  And I agree with you - we DO need resedintial zones other than Modern Family House set!

And I wanna to see a farm house one day. :) 

8 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Are you talking about colonial-style houses up there?

Yes! That's the one I'm talking about. We have lots of those in VA. 

Edited by Poodabricks