Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

39 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Yeah, I definitely think more diverse restaurant and food truck options are possible in LEGO City than what we've seen in the past. I mean, Heartlake City Shopping Mall's food court consists of a boba (Taiwanese bubble tea) vendor and a Japanese restaurant serving ramen and sushi. And previously, Stephanie's Sports Arena included a taco bar. Clearly, LEGO isn't worried about young girls feeling confused or alienated by these sorts of diverse eateries (especially when they're just one part of a larger set), so I don't know why they'd expect that to be a bigger issue with young boys.

I agree! Sounds kinda hypocritical to withhold that from City, but do it for Friends - which is basically City for girls. I especially want that Lebanese Kabob. Good chance to put the new ciabatta mould from 60306 to good use and an even better opportunity for a new salad bowl piece. Salad bowls would give me some hope on the diet of the citizens of Lego City. 

Edited by Poodabricks

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Friends sets have had great options for some of those types of fruits as well! For instance, Heartlake Juice Bar back in 2014 introduced a Bright Yellow printed minifig head that could be coupled with some green plant pieces to represent a pineapple, which we've since seen across several different sets and themes.

The following year, Heartlake Supermarket used the ice cream piece in Bright Yellowish Green to represent a bunch of grapes. And more recently, Heartlake City Restaurant introduced the same piece in Medium Lilac to represent red grapes.

For oranges, the Creator Expert Roller Coaster's juice bar sign repurposed the Ø10.2mm ball joint in Flame Yellowish Orange with a green triple-leaf plate on top — which works pretty nicely when compared to the size of the existing apple mold. The same part also exists in Bright Orange, if you're concerned about Flame Yellowish Orange ones being confused for other types of citrus fruit like grapefruit.

For that matter, the same ball joint piece in Bright Red with a green 1x1 flower plate instead of a triple-leaf plate works wonderfully for tomatoes! Likewise, a "viking horn" in Bright Red or Flame Yellowish Orange works very nicely for chili peppers. Needless to say, there are lots of options out there for fruits and vegetables even without introducing new molds!

Hey, that’s really helpful!! I haven’t thought of that. I mean the way you described, it definitely reminds me of lettuce. You see, green head and green hair pieces. Put them together, it represents lettuce. That happened to be in Chinese New Year’s Lion Dance set. Now here is your comment, I will look for these certain pieces. THANK YOU!!! :) 

2 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Hey, that’s really helpful!! I haven’t thought of that. I mean the way you described, it definitely reminds me of lettuce. You see, green head and green hair pieces. Put them together, it represents lettuce. That happened to be in Chinese New Year’s Lion Dance set. Now here is your comment, I will look for these certain pieces. THANK YOU!!! :) 

Glad to help! In the future, this is also a good reason to follow along with new LEGO Friends set pictures (and/or looking through pictures and manuals from older LEGO Friends sets), even if you're not interested in collecting that theme. They can be a wonderful resource for clever ways of building all sorts of "everyday" things — such as food, furniture, home appliances, toys, sports equipment, signage, natural scenery, and more.

For example, check out the design of the waterlilies and the waves breaking along the coast in the Vet Clinic Rescue Helicopter set, or the soft drink machines, seats, and cupholders in the Heartlake City Movie Theater set, or the kite and cattails/bullrushes in the Heartlake City Park set. All of these techniques use parts that come in all sorts of different sets and themes, and all of them could just work just as easily in generic Town/City MOCs and layouts!

Naturally, the same can be said for AFOL-targeted sets like Modular Building, Winter Village, and Fairground sets, which are known to offer a wealth of clever and useful building techniques. But I feel like most of us are used to following along with news about those sets whether or not we collect them, especially since they usually tend to get detailed press releases and extensive review coverage on all the major AFOL fan sites (including Eurobricks).

By comparison, Friends sets are aimed at younger builders, and often get released with a lot less fanfare, so they can sometimes slip under the radar if you're not used to keeping up with news and updates about that theme specifically.

Edited by Aanchir

DOTS series 1 had some 1x1 tiles that could represent minifig fruit : 

98138pb133.jpg98138pb126.jpg

The old Pizza tiles from Xtra food series 1 could also act as a really large 2x2 grapefruit slice : (interestingly enough the 40309 Xtra description even names them as Grapefruit)

14769pb011.t1.png

Edited by TeriXeri

With the new Sheep, I do hope it will be at least continuation of a Farm set, and seeing how City brings us more locations now , with recolored road plates , a Farm seems closer then it looked like in 2020 to be honest.

Safari Jeep in 2020 eventually lead to the Safari wave in 2021, and 2021 has a Tractor so it's just wishful thinking for 2022.

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

With the new Sheep, I do hope it will be at least continuation of a Farm set, and seeing how City brings us more locations now , with recolored road plates , a Farm seems closer then it looked like in 2020 to be honest.

Safari Jeep in 2020 eventually lead to the Safari wave in 2021, and 2021 has a Tractor so it's just wishful thinking for 2022.

I'm still upset at Lego for making the fire station build in this set exclusive to the Design Your Own Set program that's only available in Denmark. I'd recommend a fire brick box with the station and fire SUV from this set as the main build options. 

LEGO-Build-Your-Own-City-2.jpg?resize=12

5 minutes ago, Poodabricks said:

I'm still upset at Lego for making the fire station build in this set exclusive to the Design Your Own Set program that's only available in Denmark. I'd recommend a fire brick box with the station and fire SUV from this set as the main build options. 

Maybe a different vehicle since this uses the exact same car as the 2019 station, only with a replaced Siren element.

Expanding on the 2019 station would be nice, since the dock from this set already could connect (Dockside set has retired at this point tho)

tn_60213_alt2_jpg.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

I have some ideas for road plates, since Lego is doing that for City from now on. These are just random ideas from random thoughts. Its likely that they may not actually happen. 

• Handicapped Parking Space
  • Turning plates - It would be kinda hard to use the ones we have now for that. 
  • Parking Lot 
  • Bus Lanes - They actually have those here in Virginia. 
  • Railroad Crossing - I haven't seen one since 2015. 
  • Bike Lanes - They have them in 60292 and 60306. So why not have some of those sold separately?
  • Towaway Zone - Perhaps it could include an area with a "NO PARKING" sign. 
Edited by The Brick Boss

Would love to see a dockside style set with road plates as access point / parking space, and then some extra studded area for cargo storage or a food shack depending if it's a Marina or Cargo/Security harbour.

Edited by TeriXeri

Honestly, something I'd love to see the new road plates used for is a new wave of Construction sets focusing on road construction/maintenance! Some possibilities that come to mind include:

• At the highest price point, a Bridge/Overpass Construction set featuring a a tower crane, a ground level mobile office for the site foreman, enough road plates and support columns to make a bridge/overpass about 96 modules long from end to end, and a flatbed truck which can carry either the mobile office or the overpass sections. Some of the trusses on the crane itself could even be built from recolored roller coaster tracks (25059) for a realistic square cross-section.

• A Road Grader and Paver set with the aforementioned vehicles, a few road plates, and an unfinished section of road (with plates in a color like Brick Yellow or Sand Yellow representing the unpaved surface, and maybe some tiles that can be placed over top to represent the paver's progress).

• A new Road Roller set with one 16x16 road plate, four end ramps, a walk-behind line striper, and a few road marking tiles. This would be a great opportunity to reuse part 68327 as the roller's drum, since it would be slightly smaller and much smoother than previous LEGO road roller drums.

• a small Road Maintenance set — featuring traffic barricades, a "broken" section of street using parts like cheese slopes to show the uneven surface, manhole cover (either on a hinge, as in the TMNT sets, or fully removable), and two or three maintenance workers with accessories like a wheelbarrow and jackhammer.

48 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Honestly, something I'd love to see the new road plates used for is a new wave of Construction sets focusing on road construction/maintenance! Some possibilities that come to mind include:

• At the highest price point, a Bridge/Overpass Construction set featuring a a tower crane, a ground level mobile office for the site foreman, enough road plates and support columns to make a bridge/overpass about 96 modules long from end to end, and a flatbed truck which can carry either the mobile office or the overpass sections. Some of the trusses on the crane itself could even be built from recolored roller coaster tracks (25059) for a realistic square cross-section.

• A Road Grader and Paver set with the aforementioned vehicles, a few road plates, and an unfinished section of road (with plates in a color like Brick Yellow or Sand Yellow representing the unpaved surface, and maybe some tiles that can be placed over top to represent the paver's progress).

• A new Road Roller set with one 16x16 road plate, four end ramps, a walk-behind line striper, and a few road marking tiles. This would be a great opportunity to reuse part 68327 as the roller's drum, since it would be slightly smaller and much smoother than previous LEGO road roller drums.

• a small Road Maintenance set — featuring traffic barricades, a "broken" section of street using parts like cheese slopes to show the uneven surface, manhole cover (either on a hinge, as in the TMNT sets, or fully removable), and two or three maintenance workers with accessories like a wheelbarrow and jackhammer.

Love those ideas. I had a set idea just like that back in 2020. I called it "The Pavement Crew". 

On 5/3/2021 at 11:12 AM, TeriXeri said:

I agree! I would love to see Farming sets with some new animals like goat, cow, rooster (not chicken). 

I don’t think it’s Jeep. It looks like more Land Rover to me. But you hhave quite a good observation! And we have Rescuve Diver from CMF S20 that leads to Ocean Exploration subtheme in same year. I could not remember seeing ocean-based set in 2019? 

Also, in 2019, Friends had ocean subtheme while City had some differnet subtheme. In 2020, Freinds had jungle rescue subtheme while City. Has ocean exploration. And now, in 2021, Friends has ____?____ subtheme while City has wildlife rescue subtheme. 

3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Would love to see a dockside style set with road plates 

Speaking of dockside... I would love to see boardwalk with dock. The road plate could be useful for oceanfront stores with dock. Just like one at Ocean City, Maryland. 

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

These ideas sound GREAT!

3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

They are great set ideas, and the city line is definitely overdue for a roller or any roadwork vehicle, and I'd especially like a grader

I'd like to have a set with multiple of these ideas in one, perhaps:

A roadwork set with a tip-truck, a road profiler/road mill, a road roller and a road paver, with an assortment of roadwork signs and barriers.

Construction site with a tower crane, a modularised building, low loader, concrete mixer, and a glass carrying ute. There is an assortment of barriers and a bucket which can carry concrete from the mixer to the top of the building.

Demolition site with a demolishable building, a bulldozer, an excavator and a tip/truck

Construction sets are certainly welcome, I personally don't like the 4+ versions however.

Would love a dump truck in a small set or as standalone "Great Vehicle",  the 2018 Mining theme only had 1 and that came with the big set. (I didn't start collecting City until late 2018 after I came back to LEGO in 2016, so don't have earlier sets).

I'd like to see LEGO try something with a brick-built design instead of 1 piece or technic panels.

This looks nice and isn't 4+ (2012) & (2015)

4434-1.jpg?20111016041960075-1.jpg?201411050841

Or something like this in modern pieces without technic panels 

6581-1.jpg?1999080609127631-1.jpg?200811151006

Edited by TeriXeri

On 5/13/2021 at 7:00 PM, TeriXeri said:

Construction sets are certainly welcome, I personally don't like the 4+ versions however.

Would love a dump truck in a small set or as standalone "Great Vehicle",  the 2018 Mining theme only had 1 and that came with the big set. (I didn't start collecting City until late 2018 after I came back to LEGO in 2016, so don't have earlier sets).

I'd like to see LEGO try something with a brick-built design instead of 1 piece or technic panels.

This looks nice and isn't 4+ (2012) & (2015)

4434-1.jpg?20111016041960075-1.jpg?201411050841

Or something like this in modern pieces without technic panels 

6581-1.jpg?1999080609127631-1.jpg?200811151006

Older construction vehicles are better though. More detail. 

My ideas for a Sanitation subtheme

• Garbage Barge - It seems like Lego hasn't done one of these yet. So how about a garbage barge since boats are a good seller in the theme. 
  • Trashcan Transport - Thought it was probably unintentional, 2012 and 2021 both had some type of recycling bin transporter included in a set. I think another standalone one would be good. 
  • Street Sweeping Truck - The street sweepers that Lego has made for City in the past were kinda lame. The exception would probably be the one from 8404 Public Transport. How about a bigger version of the one from last year. Like one of those MAN street sweepers that we see in Europe. 
  • Garbage Truck - For obvious reasons. 
  • Dumpster Transporter - Feel free to laugh because I'm trying not to laugh myself. But I actually thought of this idea because I often see these on the road. Perhaps we can have one for City. 
  • Recycling Center - The base set. Includes a building with a working conveyor belt and a foreman's truck. 
Edited by The Brick Boss

Well Pokémon won"t be a LEGO licence soon I fear (since their compitor owns the licence). But we can still dream, can't we?

4 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I don’t know what this means but if you want to delete, just report your own post and type “want my post to be deleted”. Ta-da! :)

Yeah! That's it! 

What do you think of my Sanitation subtheme idea?

On 5/24/2021 at 11:28 AM, Poodabricks said:

• Garbage Barge - It seems like Lego hasn't done one of these yet. So how about a garbage barge since boats are a good seller in the theme. 
  • Trashcan Transport - Thought it was probably unintentional, 2012 and 2020 both had some type of recycling bin transporter included in a set. I think another standalone one would be good. 
  • Street Sweeping Truck - The street sweepers that Lego has made for City in the past were kinda lame. The exception would probably be the one from 8404 Public Transport. How about a bigger version of the one from last year. Like one of those MAN street sweepers that we see in Europe. 
  • Dumpster Transporter - Feel free to laugh because I'm trying not to laugh myself. But I actually thought of this idea because I often see these on the road. Perhaps we can have one for City. 
  • Recycling Center - The base set. Includes a building with a working conveyor belt and a foreman's truck. 

I like those ideas, as municipal vehicles are something the city theme lacks. I think a focus on recycling would fit best with the current Lego city line up, which would mean rebranding a garbage truck as recycling or green-waste truck. A street sweeper could easily be an electric powered vehicle too. Perhaps a skip loader would be a good addition to the line.

What they could make (and IIRC haven't made) is a truck with a skip bin on the back .One of those open bins that people hire for construction sites or other places where lots of rubbish is to be generated.

On 5/23/2021 at 9:28 PM, Poodabricks said:

• Trashcan Transport - Thought it was probably unintentional, 2012 and 2020 both had some type of recycling bin transporter included in a set. I think another standalone one would be good. 

you see, I don’t want to trash-talk about people but if they don’t recycle things, they are a waste! It’s a pun!

I really like your idea!! I mean, these sets we have seen HARDlY. I have a street sweeper from last year and...well...it’s a lame. I would love to see a $20 street sweeper set. And I think we have a dumpster transporter vehcile a few years ago but I would love to see a recycling-oriented subtheme with new vehicles and buildings (I won’t expect to see crooks dumpster-diving...). 

5 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

you see, I don’t want to trash-talk about people but if they don’t recycle things, they are a waste! It’s a pun!

I really like your idea!! I mean, these sets we have seen HARDlY. I have a street sweeper from last year and...well...it’s a lame. I would love to see a $20 street sweeper set. And I think we have a dumpster transporter vehcile a few years ago but I would love to see a recycling-oriented subtheme with new vehicles and buildings (I won’t expect to see crooks dumpster-diving...). 

LOL! I see what you did there. 

Yes, we did get somewhat of a dumpster transport. But....those look more like recycling bins than dumpsters. When I say dumpster, I mean one of those big green thingys that is owned by the Waste Management company. Or WM for short. 

Edited by Poodabricks

11 minutes ago, Poodabricks said:

LOL! I see what you did there. 

Yes, we did get somewhat of a dumpster transport. But....those look more like recycling bins than dumpsters. When I say dumpster, I mean one of those big green thingys that is owned by the Waste Management company. Or WM for short. 

Oh you mean the big green dumpster taht “T I G E R” on it, right? I think I know what you mean. I actaully really like dumpster transporter more than the one with recycling bin!

Honestly , the city line has decline a lot in the passed years and fans are getting older , and not that interested on the city line as much as they used to .  I think is time to separate the line and make it additional more accurate sets like is going on on other lines . like the daily bugle or ninjago city sets !  maybe a UCS fire truck , UCS airport or UCS train station would do good health to the city line ! 

On 5/14/2021 at 5:09 AM, Aanchir said:

I would LOVE to see a Lego Road Roller! Especially if it looks like this:

Amazon.com: Super Figure Action [JoJo`s Bizarre Adventure] Part III Paper  Craft [Road Roller] (Hirohiko Araki Supervision) (Paper Craft) by MediCos:  Toys & Games