Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

8 minutes ago, Poodabricks said:

I do agree there though. I had an idea for a fruit van of some sort. Maybe it could be one of next year's great vehicles. What about a bakery van? 

Speaking of fruits... how about a blender van/stand? Definteily, a new mold piece for grape (similar to Pom Pom mold).

9 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

You're disagreeing with facts. Again, those are builds that you'd see in a theme like Ninjago. 

Pretty weak rebuttal m8. 

Those are things that you'd see in.. a real city. Heck even my small yokel hometown had an Indian and Chinese restaurants. 

The fact that they put a Kendo Dojo in a City set this year shows that they clearly aren't averse to including Asian stuff in City even with Monkie Kid and Ninjago and etc out there.

8 hours ago, jonwil said:

The fact that they put a Kendo Dojo in a City set this year shows that they clearly aren't averse to including Asian stuff in City even with Monkie Kid and Ninjago and etc out there.

There's even a Ninjago Lloyd hoodie figure + Ninjago Kai video game sticker ,and a katana in the Family House set as well, so yeah, City certainly has a "crossover" there.

cty1233.jpg

Also Xtra has a Chinatown themed polybag 

40464-1.jpg?202012100704

So yeah, City (or Creator 3-in-1) having asian influences in terms of a Shop/Food stand would not be that weird imo.

Edited by TeriXeri

24 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

There's even a Ninjago Lloyd hoodie figure + Ninjago Kai video game sticker ,and a katana in the Family House set as well, so yeah, City certainly has a "crossover" there.

cty1233.jpg

Also Xtra has a Chinatown themed polybag 

40464-1.jpg?202012100704

So yeah, City (or Creator 3-in-1) having asian influences in terms of a Shop/Food stand would not be that weird imo.

But to have a Chinese temple is outlandish. Especially given that TLG has hinted to an avoidance on religious and ethnic matter (though Ninjago kinda goes against that last rule). A Chinese restaurant is one thing, but to bring out the entire world of China in Lego City is going to cause controversy. 

Edited by Poodabricks

13 minutes ago, Poodabricks said:

But to have a Chinese temple is outlandish. Especially given that TLG has hinted to an avoidance on religious and ethnic matter (though Ninjago kinda goes against that last rule). A Chinese restaurant is one thing, but to bring out the entire world of China in Lego City is going to cause controversy. 

There is a temple’s facade only in Temple Street Fair from Chinese New Year sets last year, that’s it. 

But I agree with you - I think Chinese restaurant should be great for City theme. 

Personally, I kinda hope to see some Mexican restaurant or some Day of the Dead festival similar to Chinese New Year. I highly doubt it Becuase there are Chinatowns everywhere around the world. And Lego is tying to push market into China/Asia. So, Mexicans are not really everywhere tho. 

4 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

There is a temple’s facade only in Temple Street Fair from Chinese New Year sets last year, that’s it. 

But I agree with you - I think Chinese restaurant should be great for City theme. 

Personally, I kinda hope to see some Mexican restaurant or some Day of the Dead festival similar to Chinese New Year. I highly doubt it Becuase there are Chinatowns everywhere around the world. And Lego is tying to push market into China/Asia. So, Mexicans are not really everywhere tho. 

Guess I stand corrected then....

Personally, I have no issue with diverse restaurants. I see it as no different than the City Pizza restaurants, which are technically Italian restaurants along with the restaurants from 60214 and 60271 being stereotypes of American burger joints. I would definately pay for a Mexican restaurant. I've actually came up with an idea of a Lebanese food truck. It may be unlikely, but we can dream. 

Edited by Poodabricks

I think more food trucks in general would be great.

So far we have an ice-cream truck from The LEGO Movie, another ice-cream truck from City and a pizza truck from City with Friends having a few as well that might work if modified (I converted the Friends hot dog truck for a MOC a while back and it looked decent)

7 minutes ago, jonwil said:

I think more food trucks in general would be great.

If food trucks is a better way to bring the food industry to prominence in the City theme, I'm for it. They could do stationary restaurants, but those obviously sell better under the Creator 3in1 theme thus, why we barely get any for City. Though I will admit, I kinda like the ones that came out  for City such as the burger joints from 2019 and 2020, the doughnut shop and pizza places from 2013 and 2021. 

If you want to rebuttle that a China Town distric wouldn't fit into a Lego City; can I remind you that the Spring Lantern Festival fits in with modular buildings? to make a city 🤣.

Even still anything would be better than yet another police set surley?.

I love the Mexican Restaurant and Day of the Dead idea above, it probably would be too morbid for Lego but a cemetery set with Day of the Dead Candles and things would be interesting.

Edited by Undi3sss
Typo

11 hours ago, Undi3sss said:

Even still anything would be better than yet another police set surley?.

Well its CITY. Police and Fire sets are kinda their thing at the moment. Especially given that most of the characters are cops and firefighters. Oh yeah and also criminals. But I agree though. I could only imagine a year without police or fire sets. The last time we had something like that was waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy back during my TFOL years in 2009. 

Edited by Poodabricks

11 hours ago, Undi3sss said:

I love the Mexican Restaurant and Day of the Dead idea above, it probably would be too morbid for Lego but a cemetery set with Day of the Dead Candles and things would be interesting.

I am glad you like these ideas. 

I agree - the cement ray set for Day of the Dead festival may be little morbid for a cheerful Lego City theme. But I don’t think it’s too much morbid. We have the Rise of Voldemort with a gloomy statue of angel/Grim Reaper. That was a dark moment for children to see. 

On other hand, candles wold be interested to add to cemetery. And decorations too. 

Also, I just recall - I did visit San Antonio, Texas. I visited the shopping district where there were colorful cloths hanging overhead the street. Maybe it would be cool to see Lego coming up with Mexican-inspired shopping street?

After having some 2021 City road plate sets, I'd like an Xtra pack with 1x4 and 2x4 darkgrey tiles (and some printed mid-road stripes), and maybe some other pack with more glow in the dark street lights + traffic sign options. 

Edited by TeriXeri

Ideas for Great Vehicles

• So it seems like all the citizens of Lego City eat are foods that aren't good to eat all the time. They need more vegetables in their lives. So....why not a vegetable van?
  • Since we've got kids characters such as Madison and Billy, I'm thinking about a school bus for the great vehicles lineup.
  • The blue sports car from this year seems to have gotten some good reviews. How about a green SUV
  • Children also seem to be into rescue vehicles with big wheels. I think an ambulance with big wheels sounds good. Perhaps Dr. Contagioustein from LCA can make an appearance in that one. 
  • I'm pretty sure there is some room for a mail van given that the mail plane was done. 
  • A single police patrol car with Duke DeTain, similar to the one from 2019, but updated to today's standard of City sets. 
  • I wish City would do more passenger planes. I'm thinking a private jet with Mary Sinclair and R.E. Fendrich from LCA. 
Edited by Poodabricks

I would love to see Japanese restaurant and/or garden, Australian-based wildlife rescue (similar to bushfire in Australia in winter of 2020), reforesting campaign (similar to Amazon rainforest), farm barn (did we have that one in City theme at all?).

Also, Lego should make some great animal molds, such as bison, buffalo, fox, rattlesnake, raccoon, cow, sheep, goat (what a shame that Medidvial BlackSmith doesn’t have one), procopine/hedgehog, hippo, giraffe, wild dog, hyena, ostrich (I am not counting the Prince of Persia one because it looks like Duplo to me...), vulture, flamingo, moose, goose, kangaroo, cheetah, koala, whale, orca, clownfish, duck, sloth, gorilla, armadillo, squirrel, panda, red panda, and more. Of course, lego has some tight budget... But yeah, i have a long list of animals I wish for City theme. 

@DBlegonerd7 Now those are animal molds that I would definately look for on a third party site. I'd also love to see a Japanese restaurant of some sort. I mean, they've got a fencing school above the pizzeria in 60292 so why not a Hunan in a future town planning set. Though tbh, I hope that next year, they don't include road baseplates in the sets. I think I like those sold separately like in 60304. 

5 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I would love to see Japanese restaurant and/or garden, Australian-based wildlife rescue (similar to bushfire in Australia in winter of 2020), reforesting campaign (similar to Amazon rainforest), farm barn (did we have that one in City theme at all?).

Also, Lego should make some great animal molds, such as bison, buffalo, fox, rattlesnake, raccoon, cow, sheep, goat (what a shame that Medidvial BlackSmith doesn’t have one), procopine/hedgehog, hippo, giraffe, wild dog, hyena, ostrich (I am not counting the Prince of Persia one because it looks like Duplo to me...), vulture, flamingo, moose, goose, kangaroo, cheetah, koala, whale, orca, clownfish, duck, sloth, gorilla, armadillo, squirrel, panda, red panda, and more. Of course, lego has some tight budget... But yeah, i have a long list of animals I wish for City theme. 

I would really like some of the most notable ones like the kangaroo, duck and panda. I think the creator orca was satisfactory and where possible I prefer brick built large animals to reflect the not quite human proportions of mini figures. But I’d also like a zebra too. I wish there would be a sheep mould and I’d like to see cattle moulds in greater numbers: a cattle truck would be a great set, with a stockyard integrated into a road plate

10 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

@DBlegonerd7 Now those are animal molds that I would definately look for on a third party site. I'd also love to see a Japanese restaurant of some sort. I mean, they've got a fencing school above the pizzeria in 60292 so why not a Hunan in a future town planning set. Though tbh, I hope that next year, they don't include road baseplates in the sets. I think I like those sold separately like in 60304. 

Yeah! I mean, we need to populate City streets and lands with different animals! I am a huge fan of Japanese culture so I eat sushi, ramen, and gyoza almost often. I would love to see Japanese restaurant and/or store that has manga, JRPG video games and anime’s (similar to Little Tokyo in Los Angeles, Japantown in San Jose and San Francisco, CA). Are you talking about kendo school, right? and I agree with you!

6 hours ago, Stuartn said:

I would really like some of the most notable ones like the kangaroo, duck and panda. I think the creator orca was satisfactory and where possible I prefer brick built large animals to reflect the not quite human proportions of mini figures. But I’d also like a zebra too. I wish there would be a sheep mould and I’d like to see cattle moulds in greater numbers: a cattle truck would be a great set, with a stockyard integrated into a road plate

Eh, personally, I prefer animal molds over BaBR kick-buildable ones. I mean, if I remember correctly, orca mold was supposed to be included in City’s Artic subtheme a few years ago but it ended up being replaced with woolly mammoth and saber-toothed tiger. I would gladly wait for a new mold for orca/whale/giraffe/rhino. I’m not sure if you may be aware but there will be a new mold for elephants in the new subtheme, Wildlife Rescue, this year.  It’s cool to see Lego making another step toward mold for large animas tho. However, I’m not sure if that new elephant mold is more movable like mammoth molds. So we will wait and see. 

On 4/21/2021 at 8:00 AM, DBlegonerd7 said:

Yeah! I mean, we need to populate City streets and lands with different animals! I am a huge fan of Japanese culture so I eat sushi, ramen, and gyoza almost often. I would love to see Japanese restaurant and/or store that has manga, JRPG video games and anime’s (similar to Little Tokyo in Los Angeles, Japantown in San Jose and San Francisco, CA). Are you talking about kendo school, right? and I agree with you!

My mom and I are into the Korean culture. We eat Korean dishes such as kimchi and rice w/folded egg. Its delicious as a juicy orange! Speaking of oranges, Lego needs to do a fruit truck for City. 

Btw, we call that fencing here in the US. 

Edited by Poodabricks

36 minutes ago, Poodabricks said:

My mom and I are into the Korean culture. We eat Korean dishes such as kimchi and rice w/folded egg. Its delicious as a juicy orange! Speaking of oranges, Lego needs to do a fruit truck for City. 

That’s really neat! I think Lego should do some Asian restaurant for City! Lego, take a note!

Did we have orange or grape or pineapple molds before? If so, I would think they are great for fruit truck one day. I mean, we have seen apple and banana. That’s it. 

1 hour ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Did we have orange or grape or pineapple molds before? If so, I would think they are great for fruit truck one day. I mean, we have seen apple and banana. That’s it. 

Yeah! Those would be very useful. 

1 hour ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

That’s really neat! I think Lego should do some Asian restaurant for City! Lego, take a note!

I think it's because they don't want to ethnically stereotype in City. I think that's just hypocritical because let's be honest, the various pizza shops are technically doing just that. Same with the fencing school. Look at the hair pieces too. Just saying. 

I'm sure it's not a crime to spare a few bricks for a hunan. 

On 3/24/2021 at 12:07 PM, Poodabricks said:

Personally, I have no issue with diverse restaurants. I see it as no different than the City Pizza restaurants, which are technically Italian restaurants along with the restaurants from 60214 and 60271 being stereotypes of American burger joints. I would definately pay for a Mexican restaurant. I've actually came up with an idea of a Lebanese food truck. It may be unlikely, but we can dream. 

Yeah, I definitely think more diverse restaurant and food truck options are possible in LEGO City than what we've seen in the past. I mean, Heartlake City Shopping Mall's food court consists of a boba (Taiwanese bubble tea) vendor and a Japanese restaurant serving ramen and sushi. And previously, Stephanie's Sports Arena included a taco bar. Clearly, LEGO isn't worried about young girls feeling confused or alienated by these sorts of diverse eateries (especially when they're just one part of a larger set), so I don't know why they'd expect that to be a bigger issue with young boys.

2 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Friends sets have had great options for some of those types of fruits as well! For instance, Heartlake Juice Bar back in 2014 introduced a Bright Yellow printed minifig head that could be coupled with some green plant pieces to represent a pineapple, which we've since seen across several different sets and themes.

The following year, Heartlake Supermarket used the ice cream piece in Bright Yellowish Green to represent a bunch of grapes. And more recently, Heartlake City Restaurant introduced the same piece in Medium Lilac to represent red grapes.

For oranges, the Creator Expert Roller Coaster's juice bar sign repurposed the Ø10.2mm ball joint in Flame Yellowish Orange with a green triple-leaf plate on top — which works pretty nicely when compared to the size of the existing apple mold. The same part also exists in Bright Orange, if you're concerned about Flame Yellowish Orange ones being confused for other types of citrus fruit like grapefruit.

For that matter, the same ball joint piece in Bright Red with a green 1x1 flower plate instead of a triple-leaf plate works wonderfully for tomatoes! Likewise, a "viking horn" in Bright Red or Flame Yellowish Orange works very nicely for chili peppers. Needless to say, there are lots of options out there for fruits and vegetables even without introducing new molds!

Edited by Aanchir