Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

15 minutes ago, jonwil said:

I hope whatever "explorers" sub-theme they do for 2021 brings something new to the table (either somewhere that they haven't explored yet or at the very least, a good selection of new animals and other new parts)

Spelunking maybe? They haven't done that yet

Image: Spelunking astronauts train for teamwork

Not a lot of scope for new animals in caves really.

I was thinking something like the African Savannah or jungle or the Australian Outback, so many animals and still possible to come up with a compelling way to make it appeal to the core kid audience for LEGO City.

I have an idea for a new City set (or maybe it would work better under Xtra?)

It's basically a redone version of set # 6427 Roads signs. essentially the same set but with updated prints and a few more signs.

Some of those new signs can have new molds like rectangle and diamond shaped sign pieces.

LEGO would not do such a set with printed parts (the cost would be too high). But even with stickers it would still be awesome and I would buy it (if they had a decent selection of road signs)

37 minutes ago, jonwil said:

LEGO would not do such a set with printed parts (the cost would be too high). But even with stickers it would still be awesome and I would buy it (if they had a decent selection of road signs)

Those 4+ sets seem to have high amounts of printed parts. If the cost is too high for printed parts in just one set, just split it up in to smaller Xtra type sets. Besides I hate stickered signs, I'm pretty sure there are others who have the same view.

Great Vehicle Ideas:

• Taxi Cab - basically a six stud wide version of the taxi from the doughnut shop opening set. Similar shape to the police car from the 2020 brick box. 
  • Jumbo Jet - first time a standalone passenger jet has been done since the 2006 and 2010 airport waves. This would also be the biggest vehicle in a great vehicle wave to date. 
  • City Mail Van 
  • City Bank Truck 
  • City Food Market Truck 
  • Octan Tow Truck
  • Vita Rush Truck
  • Bendy Bus 

Edited by The Brick Boss

A pizza delivery vehicle of some sort for the pizza shop in the Town Centre set would be a neat thing to see.

Another thing that would be cool would be a handyman/carpenter driving a pickup truck with gear in the back (about the size/price point of the blue sports car from this year)

And I would love to see an Xtra road signs set or something similar that could include a bunch of different road signs (possibly as stickers to allow a greater variety)

Maybe an Xtra set with the 2021 street lamp design as well (solar panel and glow-in-the-dark 1x2 included)

And something with more of the parts for the bike lane stuff (the 1x4 tile with bike print and other tiles in that color)

Edited by jonwil

41 minutes ago, jonwil said:

And I would love to see an Xtra road signs set or something similar that could include a bunch of different road signs (possibly as stickers to allow a greater variety)

Yes but prints only. I hate stickers, sure it may allow for greater variety but I prefer prints as they last longer and have no chance of peeling.

I would like to see some more versions of 8404 Public Transport, in the same way that the City Centre sets are updated regularly. Ideas could be:

-A tram and a bus, with road plates, including a road plate that bulges to 24 studs wide to accommodate an 8 stud wide studded section, upon which there is a small platform for the bus/tram station, and another small kiosk where tickets are purchased.

-A large ferry, on a new dark green floating base, similar in size to the recent police boat but with a less streamlined shape. Also included is a small 6 stud wide water taxi. Road plates connect to a wharf, which is covered with a kiosk and ticket buying station.

-Monorail, six studs wide, but on the new rollercoaster tracks to be more realistic, it includes two stations, one elevated and one at ground level, with some road plates included, and a taxi.

-Municipal vehicles, a street sweeper, garbage truck, tram/bus/monorail maintenance vehicle and a depot area, as well as a bus stop as a tie in with others sets, adjoining road plates.

What about a passenger ferry for great vehicles?  Similar size to the car one a few years back, of the type you see on city rivers, e.g. the Thames in London (to give my local example!)

59 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

I would like to see some more versions of 8404 Public Transport, in the same way that the City Centre sets are updated regularly.

Or how about a Port Authority set. It would include: 

• A bus terminal building with the transit system sign <-o-> sblve the door. My advice to Lego is to take a look at the shape of the red building from the upcoming crooks hideout set to see my idea of a bus terminal building. It also could include a sound piece with someone making station announcements. 
  • A bendy bus with a new bending mechanism piece thats basically a road going version of the 60197 passenger train. If that's not possible, a smaller bus will be just fine. 
  • A new bus driver character that will be seen on Lego City Adventures 
  • Some unnamed figures. 

Together, I'm looking at a $79.99 minimum. $99.99 being the maximum. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

3 hours ago, Stuartn said:

-A tram and a bus, with road plates, including a road plate that bulges to 24 studs wide to accommodate an 8 stud wide studded section, upon which there is a small platform for the bus/tram station, and another small kiosk where tickets are purchased.

would said roadplate have embedded tracks as well? If there's a set with a tram it should have a new road plate with tracks.

1 hour ago, Inspecter said:

would said roadplate have embedded tracks as well? If there's a set with a tram it should have a new road plate with tracks

That would be a good idea. An 8x16 plate would be good, and if it could taper up at one end via a conversion piece to connect with regular train tracks it could be very useful.

3 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

A bendy bus with a new bending mechanism piece thats basically a road going version of the 60197 passenger train. If that's not possible, a smaller bus will be just fine. 

I hope though if a bendy bus is ever produced TLG decide to go all out and create some sort of piece which is flexible, like the plastic material used in the Mars Mission and Racers air pumps. It would be a lot of effort but it would have so many uses in the future, on trams, trains and any sort of articulated vehicle.

5 hours ago, Stuartn said:

That would be a good idea. An 8x16 plate would be good, and if it could taper up at one end via a conversion piece to connect with regular train tracks it could be very useful.

I hope though if a bendy bus is ever produced TLG decide to go all out and create some sort of piece which is flexible, like the plastic material used in the Mars Mission and Racers air pumps. It would be a lot of effort but it would have so many uses in the future, on trams, trains and any sort of articulated vehicle.

Oh yes! I remember Mars Mission. I miss that theme so much. It was popular during my TFOL years - which is where a lot of my nostalgia comes from. The material used for flexible builds on that theme would be perfect for a bendy bus build. 

15 hours ago, Stuartn said:

-Monorail, six studs wide, but on the new rollercoaster tracks to be more realistic, it includes two stations, one elevated and one at ground level, with some road plates included, and a taxi.

That would make it more like Automated Guideway Transit, considering the Roller Coaster track technically has two rails, which puts it out of the definition of Monorail.  Although, a proper Automated Guideway transit system using the tracks, like on based off of the Miami Metromover, would be a very fun set to play with.

12 hours ago, Inspecter said:

would said roadplate have embedded tracks as well? If there's a set with a tram it should have a new road plate with tracks.

That’s something I’ve been hoping LEGO would make for years.  It would also need to have the ability to place overhead wires above the trams for realism

Another idea for a transit vehicle set could be the Translohr Guided Bus, also known as a Rubber Tyre Tram, which has a central steel guide rail to move it through corners and whatnot, but actually drives and is supported by regular bus tires, and it can run it street level like a tram or Light rail.  That would make a neat set for sure., with special road plates for it, or even separate guide rail pieces that you could use elsewhere, such as a monorail or other train

On 10/10/2020 at 3:46 PM, Brandon Pea said:

School bus. I mean c'mon, all Lego has to do is recycle this build and replace the pink with black. 

41134_alt3.jpg

Where sales outside of USA will be almost zero.....

On 1/22/2021 at 4:20 PM, Greenstar said:

Another idea for a transit vehicle set could be the Translohr Guided Bus, also known as a Rubber Tyre Tram, which has a central steel guide rail to move it through corners and whatnot, but actually drives and is supported by regular bus tires, and it can run it street level like a tram or Light rail.  That would make a neat set for sure., with special road plates for it, or even separate guide rail pieces that you could use elsewhere, such as a monorail or other train

I think some kind of plate which can either accept lego train tracks or even just rails, or maybe even moulded in rails is a likely thing at some point as I'm sure they would look to have a level crossing for trains, which merges into the new road plate system.  

52 minutes ago, paul_delahaye said:

Pardon me? Vehicles sale. Doesn't matter what it is. As long as its something that a little boy can roll around, it's going to sell. Remember, most of city customers are parents who buy these sets for children. They'll likely just pick out something random. They won't directly go to a set like FOLs would. I think it will do just fine. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

6 hours ago, paul_delahaye said:

I think some kind of plate which can either accept lego train tracks or even just rails, or maybe even moulded in rails is a likely thing at some point as I'm sure they would look to have a level crossing for trains, which merges into the new road plate system.  

That would be cool, but Rubber Tyre trams only have one central guide rail, it’s like a bus crossed with Light Rail, driving on normal tires like a bus, but guided by a central rail that it’s not really able to leave.  It would make for a very fun and neat set for mass transit fans especially 

2 hours ago, jonwil said:

If you want to talk about interesting or unusual public transport, there is always https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-Bahn_Busway

Oh my goodness! A rail bus is definitely something I have never heard of before. Then again, I guess that's what a rapid transit train basically is. So maybe I have heard of it. I dunno. :sceptic:

Its not actually a rail bus. Its a regular bus with regular wheels that drives on regular streets but that also can (via special guide wheels) drive on special concrete tracks.