Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

Train heists is kinda obvious though and a bit....well....not interesting anymore. I said a bus heist since that'll be very interesting and something brand new for City. Stuffing bags of money and gold inside of a bus. Sorta like this YouTube episode of The Engines of Sodor. Though instead of the train being there, it's just a simple police chase. 

As for the police armored train, that's something I'd fight for. I'd also fight for a police bus as well. I kinda was hoping for a police bus for this year's wave. But there wasn't one. 

A police bus would be cool

or something similar to the RV from Jurassic Park 2 but for the police instead

It will be very interesting to see the what TLG is going to do for the next police line...

17 hours ago, Robert8 said:

It will be very interesting to see the what TLG is going to do for the next police line...

Go on Instagram and you'll see leaks. I'm not buying though. 

I agree with @Brandon Pea that a police bus would be a cool idea, maybe with some kind of riot police officers included:

mercedes-benz-tourismo-buses-for-german-

So let's say an updated and much bigger version of 3314.

3314-1.jpg

Plus since TLG claims that it is difficult to sell regular City Trains sets, I really do not understand why Lego doesn't release a Fire Train. It would affiliate to the Fire theme and offer much value and much more action than a regular train.

anlaesslich-feuerwehr-schlussuebung-des-

220px-Tunnelrettungszug_NBS.jpg

It could e. g. look like this model train:

Piko-H0-57153-H0-Start-Set-Feuerwehrzug-

Maybe for kids a decent sized Prison Bus would offer more playbility than a regular police bus:

0014719953001.jpg

An Armored Bank Securtiy Bus would of course offer a lot of action for a heist, too:

hqdefault.jpg

dbb232689.jpg

And of course a Police Train would be nice, too (til this morning I didn't even know that police trains do exist):

1116_250_SGAG_95389_Foederlach_27_05_201

TLG could and should see that there are much more possibilities for interesting sets for FOLs of all ages apart from most of the time only releasing the same stuff. Imo the 2017 Police wave (armored bank security van, armored special forces car and police auto transport) and the 2019 Fire wave (fire robot, fire drone, turbo fire truck and fire SUV) were already a step into right direction. So it's really a pity that this year's Police wave and the two Special Forces sets are that a huge step backwards - not only concerning the quality of the majority of the sets, but even their diversity (only the police drone is something special and new).

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

there should be a city set that includes a mall, with maybe 4 stores, a civilian car, and to satisfy city they could include a robber and mall security

4 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

there should be a city set that includes a mall, with maybe 4 stores, a civilian car, and to satisfy city they could include a robber and mall security

I'd definately buy!

I have some ideas for Octan merch! 

• 8x8 Heavy Wrecker - basically a re-colored version of the heavy wrecker from the 7642 Garage set. Only its in white, red and green and is owned by Octan. Includes Octan version of Harl Hubbs. 
  • Mega Service Station - updated version of the 6472 Gas N Wash Express set. Includes small tow truck that's basically a re-colored version of the 7638 Tow Truck into Octan livery. Includes Octan versions of Harl Hubbs and Tread Octane
  • Classic Octan F1 Car Pack - includes updated versions of the 1990s f1 cars. That includes black car number 1, yellow car number 2, red car number 3, white car number 4, blue car number 5 and green car number 6 
  • Tanker Truck - special edition re-release of 60016
  • Long Tanker Truck - re-release of 3180 

You know what would be cool

A "where in the world is carmen sandiego?" type of police wave

Instead of being just regular crooks, the bad guys can be an evil organization stealing famous objets from around the world: the Mona Lisa, The Gargoyles From Notre Dame Cathedral, The Statue Of Liberty’s Torch, etc...

Well, the Farm theme is sort of here again via a seasonal Halloween set : 

https://brickset.com/sets/40423-1/Halloween-Hayride

It isn't City but the tractor and yellow grille-brick haybales could be used in a farm scene.

Based on the box art and piece count, I assume this will be sold at LEGO.com for £11.99 / $12.99 / 12.99€ (same price as the 2020 Birthday and Trophy sets)

40423-1.jpg?202007010445

Of course I'd still love the see an actual farm theme for City, with multiple cow/pig/goat/sheep/horses included.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 6/12/2020 at 2:23 PM, Klaus-Dieter said:

maybe with some kind of riot police officers included:

Yikes dude. Talk about tone deaf

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

Well, the Farm theme is sort of here again via a seasonal Halloween set : 

Neat. Not excited without animals but I'll pick it up.

Here’s an idea.  

Abolish the trains subtheme.  Instead, have trains as one set in a range, like a police train or a fire train (both exist).  If farm was brought back for example, you could have a cattle wagon (60052 type), a hay wagon, etc.  The classic cargo and passenger trains, plus stations, would appear in cargo and public transport subthemes with sets like 8404 Public Transport and Airport and Harbour subthemes.

As you can probably tell, I quite like trains...

Anyway, yea or nay?

Edited by Vilhelm22

8 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Here’s an idea.  

Abolish the trains subtheme.  Instead, have trains as one set in a range, like a police train or a fire train (both exist).  If farm was brought back for example, you could have a cattle wagon (60052 type), a hay wagon, etc.  The classic cargo and passenger trains, plus stations, would appear in cargo and public transport subthemes with sets like 8404 Public Transport and Airport and Harbour subthemes.

Anyway, yea or nay?

I say yea! If Lego were to go along with that plan, they'd have to make a public transportation subtheme just to put that passenger train somewhere. Of course the cargo train would go under cargo and I would assume that they would make a police train and fire train for police and fire. For airport, I'd recommend sort of a people mover type of train. It can connect two airports together as if it were two different terminals for two different airlines. I think this is a great idea. In fact, I actually had this idea. Abolishing the trains subtheme and separating them into more popular subthemes such as police, fire, airport, cargo, etc would be a much better marketing strategy. Unfortunately, trains apparently don't sell and I kinda blame the fact that they have a dedicated subtheme for trains. Put them under more popular subthemes though and people will buy them. I guarantee that. 

Btw, I have some ideas for a public transportation subtheme. I'd recommend that the vehicles in this subtheme would be Mountain Police Blue as blue is a great color for transit vehicles. 

• Local Passenger Service - This scene would basically just be an articulated bus and a single bus based on today's 40 foot buses. It would of course include bus bays and civilians along with drivers. 
  • The Short Line - This set is basically a shuttle service playset with a mini bus based on today's 30/35 ft buses and a shuttle bus. Could include bus bays and of course civilians
  • Express Service - Its basically a motor coach bus. 
  • Commuter Train - A commuter train set based off of the Bombardier M7A multiple unit. Can either be pushed along or powered by Power Functions. Includes oval track layout with station.
  • Streetcar - A push along streetcar with some track 
Edited by Brandon Pea

Here are some ideas for a potential cargo wave revival, Lego! Perhaps instead of people in blue overalls, you can introduce a new green torso with the "CARGO" logo on the front and back. 

• Truck & Forklift - updated version of the truck and forklift from 2013. 
  • Moutain Heliplane Delivery - follow up to the cargo heliplane from 2013. 
  • Ship Dock - either the harbor from 2007 or the harbor from 2011, except its painted in the green and white colors of Cargo vehicles. 
  • Freight Train - includes green locomotive with two green and white box cars
Edited by Brandon Pea

On 7/3/2020 at 1:44 AM, Vilhelm22 said:

Here’s an idea.  

Anyway, yea or nay?

Is trains a specific sub-theme anyway? Is splitting generic City sets into such sub-themes really necessary, when they contain the City branding? I always thought that one of the good things about sets like 60052 was that you do not need to have farm theme to get elements of farming into a set like the cargo train. The downside of a specific sub-theme is that there is no reason to include a farming wagon, for example, if there is no farm theme.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Is trains a specific sub-theme anyway?

Unfortunately yes! It's kinda pointless for it to be one though. That's why @Vilhelm22 said that it would be better to sell them under more dedicated subthemes like police or fire. 

On another note, I'm surprised that City hasn't went the police train route yet. A fire train would be cool. MOCs are nice and all, but some people like myself, would like to see how Lego tries their hands at it. 

City Subtheme Idea 1: Metro Transit 

• Driver Training - includes short line bus, bus stop, disgruntled instructor, frantic driver, cones and bus stop. 
  • Local Passenger Service - includes regular sized bus, driver, civilians and bus stop
  • The Uptown Line - includes bendy bus, driver, bus stop and civilians
  • Bus Terminal - includes bus terminal building, shuttle bus, driver, civilians, terminal manager and bus stop
  • Coach Tour - includes motor coach, driver, civilians and bus stop
  • Rapid Transit Train - includes three car rapid transit train, oval track layout, station with taxi, driver, passengers, taxi driver and station master 

City Subtheme Idea 2: Cargo

• Truck and Forklift - re-release of 60020 only with uniformed men instead of men with overalls
  • Mountain Heliplane Delivery - includes heliplane, trees, ATV being delivered, heliplane pilot and wood cutters
  • Ship Dock - includes green container ship, dock with loading crane, crates, small cargo truck, manager's office and cargo staff.
  • Box Car Train - includes locomotive, two box cars, oval track layout, loading platform, forklift, four cargo crates, workers and train driver 

City Subtheme Idea 3: News 

• News Station - includes TV 6+ news station building, news van, drone, unnamed anchors, camera crew and Gabby ToCamera and Craig Woodman from LCA
  • Aerial Traffic Unit - includes TV 6+ news chopper, police car, crook's car, unnamed traffic reporter, Duke DeTain and Frankie Lupelli from LCA
  • Mobile Listening Station - includes, TV 6+ mobile station, red ribbon cutting set, Gabby DeCamera, Mary Sinclair and Solomon Freck from LCA

City Subtheme Idea 4: Racing 

• Mega Service Center - includes Octan service center building equipped with snack shop, car wash, repair bay, gas pumps, heavy wrecker, civilians, Harl Hubbs, Cluster and two civilian automobiles
  • Formula 1 Championship - includes announcement tower, audience bleachers, red race car number 3, black race car number 1, race car drivers, Tread Octane in racing uniform and spectators
  • Race Car Transporter - includes Octan hauler, green car number 6, blue car number 5, yellow car number 2, race car drivers and hauler driver
  • Pit Stop - includes pit stop, fuel truck, Harl Hubbs from LCA in Octan uniform, Ann from LCA in Octan racing gear and white car number 4

City Subtheme Idea 5: Postal Workers

• Express Delivery - includes City Mail van with opening side, pallet with mail and packages, postal worker and mail box
  • Highway Postal Haul - includes City Mail tractor trailer with forklift, pallet with letters, pallet with packages, and two postal workers
  • Jumbo Mail Jet - includes City Mail plane, two package pallets, one letter pallet, postal worker and control tower
  • Post Office - includes City Mail post office building, post master's car, civilians, drone and postal workers
  • Mail Train - includes locomotive, mail car, oval track layout, platform with waiting mail van, mail sack line and workers. 

City Subtheme Idea 6: Construction Revival 

• Front Loader and Dump Truck - includes front loader, dump truck, dirt elements and construction workers
  • Crane Team - includes crawler crane, tower crane, mobile crane, unfinished building, port-a-loo and construction workers
  • Pavement Crew - includes steam roller, pavement pieces, cement mixer and construction workers
  • Demolition Sequence - includes wrecking ball, exploding houses, bulldozer and construction workers
  • Excavator Transport - includes excavator transport truck, excavator and construction workers
  • Foreman's Truck - re-release of 60073
Edited by Brandon Pea

As I already mentioned in City 2020 , if there's a regular forest subtheme of City this would be nice to see as new parts :

• Deer / Moose  / Reindeer in a Forest(men) theme.
  • A Seal or Sealion with the Coastguard theme.
  • Maybe a new tall pine tree variant to be used in a Pine Forest setting , similar size to the old Cypress.
  • Would love to see more tree colors as well, bright green, dark green, light orange, sand blue or white.
  • MdGHt9u.png

New colors or parts for cars in transparent to allow different designs (would also benefit Speed Champions)

29119.t1.png11477.t1.png6091.t1.png

Edited by TeriXeri

I want to see LEGO do a police crime lab or crime scene set. They can find a way to do it without needing to touch subjects that are a problem such as violence or murder or drugs. You could have a black SUV (if TV has taught me anything, its that crime scene guys drive around in big black SUVs) and maybe a guy with dark sunglasses on.

@jonwil Every three years, City would release a mobile command center which would kinda act as a lab. Unfortunately we didn't see one this year. Though I'm assuming that the van from the monster truck heist set kinda filled in that void. Overall, I think Lego already knows what they are doing with police sets. Got any ideas for something else other than police? 

Edited by Brandon Pea

I want to see some more retail stores in LEGO City.

How about a hardware store? (perhaps with a handyman who builds and fixes things)

Or more variety of fast food/food trucks. How about a taco/Mexican truck? Or a place doing chicken wings? Or a Chinese restaurant? Or a Barbecue joint? Or even a Fish & Chip shop or seafood restaurant?

How about a butcher or bakery?

Or maybe more medical facilities? I dont think we have seen a LEGO optometrist before, that would be neat to see (all those glasses-wearing minifigs have to get their glasses from somewhere)

Or what about a music shop? (they have enough instruments these days to pull it off plus they could make something new for it like a violin)

Or a nursery full of plants (imagine how many copies they would sell to people looking for plans to bulk up their layouts with :)