Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

@TeriXeri I have another idea. 

Funky 46s Fire Engine from episode 3 of Season 2: Ann They're Off. So far, this is my favorite episode because it involves my favorite wave of City sets. 

If they absolutely felt desperate need to do a police wave for 2021, allow me to recommend some. 

• Police School Bus Chase - includes police car, school bus, Tippy the Evil Doorman and Duke DeTain
  • Police Grocery Store Heist - includes grocery store building (aptly named City Food Market) with easy to remove roof, food transport truck, criminal car, police car, Tom Bennett, Frankie Lupelli and Mr. Producci.
  • Police Mobile Unit - includes mobile unit, getaway ATV, Duke DeTain and Daisy Kaboom. Sort of a proper follow up to 60139. 
  • Police Boat - includes Chief Wheeler and Vito

This wave is based more in the suburbs than in the big city like this year's police sets were. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

The supermarket heist would be great, makes me think of that one scene in Police Academy 2 :)

On 3/29/2020 at 9:39 PM, jonwil said:

The supermarket heist would be great, makes me think of that one scene in Police Academy 2 :)

I haven't seen that show before. I've heard about it from some work colleagues of mine, but have never actually taken time to look at it. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

I have another series of buildings to show. Perhaps Great Buildings for 2021? 

• Grocery Store - includes Kwik E Mart sized grocery store building (aptly named City Food Market) with easy to remove roof, Mr. Producci, food truck, unnamed clerks and some customers.
  • Radio Station - includes radio station building with easy to remove roof, Poppy Star, unnamed dj and radio show host and some type of vehicle with a battery powered boombox that can play music at a touch of a button, similar to how sirens from the 2019 police and fire waves do. 
  • News Station - includes news station building with easy to remove roof, Gabby DeCamera, unnamed camera man, news van and chopper and several unnamed reporters. 
  • Schoolhouse - includes school house with easy to remove roof, Professor, Billy McCloud, unnamed school bus driver, several unnmaed students and small school bus. 
  • Town Hall - includes town hall building with easy to remove roof, limo, Mayor Solomon Fleck, Vice Mayor Carol Yea, Mary Sinclair and Judge Strictpunish 
  • Recycle Center - a re-release of 4206 from 2012, only this one includes Shirley Keeper 
Edited by Brandon Pea

We truly need better aircraft , we have being using the same cockpit mold for over 2 decades . We more realistic mold , more like a 787 or A330 cockpit mold . We also truly need doors on the small planes , makes more realistic and fun when doors are ready to be open and set up the plain stairs on them . 

Edited by danimarroquin

Just now, danimarroquin said:

We truly need better aircraft , we have being using the same cockpit mold for over 2 decades . We more realistic mold , more like a 787 or A330 cockpit mold . We also truly need doors on the small planes , makes more realistic and fun when doors are ready to be open and set up the plain stairs on then . 

You mean like what they did in 2006? Yeah! That feature was pretty cool. 

14 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

You mean like what they did in 2006? Yeah! That feature was pretty cool. 

On the small aircraft we truly need small doors ,and definitely larger engines !!! 

Great Vehicle Ideas 2

• Green Harvester - includes green harvester and scarecrow. Basically a separate re-release of the harvester from 60223. Introduces a new character named Farmer Wheaton Tares. 
  • Taxi - includes taxi van that's big enough to fit three people, taxi driver, civilian in wheelchair and businessman minifigure
  • Lego Van - includes Lego delivery van, Lego worker and some Lego packages. 
  • Pickup Truck - includes a tan 6 stud wide pickup with a cowboy minifigure 
  • Burgular Van - includes black six stud wide van with Big Betty and Frankie Lupelli

These are some great set ideas, @Brandon Pea!

But for the moment I'd like to get back to the discussion about the popularity about a TV / studio / news theme:

There are indeed so many vehicles and action stuff possible:

- pickup with camera on loading platform

- car with assembled camera on the side (for car action scenes)

- dolly on wheels / on tracks

- camera crane on wheels / on tracks

- rickshaw with camera

- camera drone

- mobile (music) stage

- big TV broadcast truck (as big as previous police mobile HQs)

- big TV helicopter

- blowing up scenery

- car and stunt action

- study cam

- news studio camera

- green screen / changing screen

- small news studio

- big TV studio

Plus with kids these days are much more into the digital world than they were about twenty years ago, I bet that a new TV / studio / news theme would be selling very well - esp. if combined with a smartphone app so that kids can play with the sets and make their own movies with them at the same time!

@Klaus-Dieter I think a news subtheme is a wonderful idea.

The question is....will the designer of City actually do it? Aside from classic police, fire, coast guard, airport and trains...City seems to be very hesitant to give subthemes centered around action within the city in favor of action outside of the city. Of course you have the town subtheme and some of the great vehicles... and even a lot of those have been based outside of the city recently. Personally, I'd prefer that action outside of the city be put into their own theme. Maybe a spin off theme of City called Outdoors? But let's not beat around the bush here. That's not happening. Outdoorsy action will remain part of City under such circumstances. 

But I'd love to see a subtheme centered around broadcasting. Maybe with Gabby DeCamera from LCA. City may actually surprise us. They did it with this years automotive subtheme. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

In my opinion, City should focus on what it was made to do. According to Lego Shop, City was made to provide children with action that is based on life in the city. Not life outside the city. Even though it may not happen, if it were up to me, generic action outside of the city would have it's own theme. I'm sure they sell well enough to have their own theme now. It make a spin off theme for those called Lego Outdoors with something at the bottom of the box saying From the Deisgner of City on the bottom as a good selling tactic. Here's how it would go. 

• City - Airport, Fire, Great Vehicles, Police, Town and Trains
  • Outdoor - Arctic, Divers, Miners, Sheriffs (the police outside the city) and Space

Heck! That system may do even better than it is now. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

21 minutes ago, Greenstar said:

How about some road baseplates with embedded tracks for streetcar/light rail systems

Oh man! I never thought of something like that. They did something similar with the old level crossings for trains. I'm saddened I haven't seen one with the 2018 train wave. 

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

Oh man! I never thought of something like that. They did something similar with the old level crossings for trains. I'm saddened I haven't seen one with the 2018 train wave. 

Yeah, it is sad.  Unlike the crossings, the track will be fully embedded in the road plates and there will be curves, crossings, and junctions 

Just now, Brandon Pea said:

Meh! 

is that a good meh or a bad meh?

thats a set i posted to try to get better rapid transit sets made.

when it gains enough support, i will do a tram set, then a subway set, then regional rail(maybe), then a monorail of some type.

like the research of vehicles in the game, Traffic Giant

A TV studio theme would be awesome, you could have (optional) phone integration similar to what was done with last year's rocket launch centre set.

Just now, jonwil said:

A TV studio theme would be awesome, you could have (optional) phone integration similar to what was done with last year's rocket launch centre set.

Yeah! I've seen lots of TV 6+ vehicles across the City theme. But I have never seen their base. A TV Studio/News Station by TV6+ would be awesome. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Derailing a bit, but I mentioned over in the rumors thread my observation that the upcoming airliner seems to take its new cockpit piece's inspiration from the Airbus A380, a welcome addition in my mind. I like that high swept forehead look that makes the Airbus look so sleek. I also posited the idea of a supersonic transport, a la the Concorde, which is nearing its twentieth retirement anniversary, as a City Airport set. It'd be a welcome change from the typical airliner models, as well as introducing the younger generation to the supersonic commercial liner, planting the seed of inspiration. For us old-timers, it'd give us a bit of our glorious aviation past in a fun playable form. Concorde was such an impressive aircraft, and it's sad to see it lingering in museums rather than sailing blue skies. Even if I could never afford a ticket on Concorde, much like the various space programs and other aviation achievements, I can marvel in them vicariously, and to have a City set that commemorates it would be wonderful.

37 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Derailing a bit, but I mentioned over in the rumors thread my observation that the upcoming airliner seems to take its new cockpit piece's inspiration from the Airbus A380, a welcome addition in my mind. I like that high swept forehead look that makes the Airbus look so sleek. I also posited the idea of a supersonic transport, a la the Concorde, which is nearing its twentieth retirement anniversary, as a City Airport set. It'd be a welcome change from the typical airliner models, as well as introducing the younger generation to the supersonic commercial liner, planting the seed of inspiration. For us old-timers, it'd give us a bit of our glorious aviation past in a fun playable form. Concorde was such an impressive aircraft, and it's sad to see it lingering in museums rather than sailing blue skies. Even if I could never afford a ticket on Concorde, much like the various space programs and other aviation achievements, I can marvel in them vicariously, and to have a City set that commemorates it would be wonderful.

I know the Concorde makes an appearance in one of the James Bond movies when they were still in use 

More Ideas:

Office - includes three floor office building with easy to remove floors (complete with lobby, Mayor Fleck's office, and some other cubicles), limo, private chopper, Mary Sinclair and Mayor Solomon Fleck. New Character Introduced: Dell McDesktop, a disgruntled typist who works at the office. 

Auto Repair Shop - includes repair shop that is about the same size as the tuning worshop - only its white and owned by the Octan Corporation (complete with repair shed, gantry lift and waiting area), 8x8 Octan wrecker nod to the wrecker in this set and two cars to repair. New Character Introduced: Freon Octane, Tread Octane's sister who works for the Octan Coorporation and a staunch EV supporter - something that makes her not get along with her brother.

Transit Center - includes bus terminal building (complete with lobby/waiting area, office/information area, bathroom, second floor lounge and clock), blue city bus with four wheels based on 40 foot low floor buses of today. New Characters Introduced: Sir Alexander Dennis - the head of the entire transit system. 

Car Dealership - includes a two story car dealership (complete with lobby area and a second floor showroom), a sports car on display (which can be fit with a minifigure and driven around town if the child wants to do that), a minivan, pickup truck and an unnamed salesman. New Characters Introduced: Lexus and Mercedes Ford, a married lesbian couple who own the car dealership. @Aanchir I remember you saying that you wanted more LGBT representation in City sets. Will this suffice? 

News Station - includes a two story new station owned by TV 6+ (complete with lobby area and second floor broadcasting room), news van, a drone and Gabby DeCamera

Edited by Brandon Pea

I think that some of those character names skirt close to a potential trademark lawsuit (the car dealers and the typist).