Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

13 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

While I agree the "simplicity" of some buildings been there for a long time (not just City), vehicles were the weakest part of that town.jr era imo, and 4+ sets come closest to that.

Right now ,I just don't like those 1-brick thick chassis parts and the way they do printed headlights (I don't like headlight stickers on Speed Champions either)

Just from personal experience: I had this Fire set in 2000 (still have it built with my old LEGO), one of my last sets before my 16 year no-new-lego period from 2001-2016

20 years later I see this as a 4+ style set that I wouldn't buy now. But I did get the 2019 Downtown Fire as an AFOL.

You bring up a lot of good points there, especially when it comes to points two and four. The printed headlights was most definately the worse part of the vehicles of that era. That fire truck that you just showed would of course be used as a 4+ set. They should've actually released that one, but only with actual headlight pieces instead of printed headlights. The last point you brought up was comparing that fire truck to the downtown fire brigade. So...then there are the present day updated versions of 90s town sets. 60183 and 6357 are prime examples. They may have been named differently, but they were basically the same exact set. The only difference is that it's a present day version. 

img_1067.jpg

This was one of my favorite town sets; the TV Chopper. I kept that thing together until 2005 when the parts got lost. I was excited in 2015, when it came back as a part of the 60097 City Square set.

6425-1.png

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Brandon Pea

I thought the Octan petrol station I made a few years ago (complete with custom printed sign board featuring actual petrol prices from a real petrol station I found in my area) was good but those are AMAZING.

Definitely some of the best LEGO petrol stations I have ever seen.

3 hours ago, jonwil said:

I thought the Octan petrol station I made a few years ago (complete with custom printed sign board featuring actual petrol prices from a real petrol station I found in my area) was good but those are AMAZING.

Definitely some of the best LEGO petrol stations I have ever seen.

Yes Sir, they are amazing! Riaan is a master. Those are his. 

If City were planning to make a line of 16+ sets, they'd need his help. It could happen. Don't underestimate Lego. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

So, who here hasn't yet heard of the unreleased "Mafia Gangsters" theme from the '90s? Had it been released, I wonder if it would've been classified as subtheme of Town, or just designated as a "Historical" theme. If it were the former, how would that have affected the City theme afterwards? :shrug_confused:

NWID3cW.jpg

35 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

So, who here hasn't yet heard of the unreleased "Mafia Gangsters" theme from the '90s? Had it been released, I wonder if it would've been classified as subtheme of Town, or just designated as a "Historical" theme. If it were the former, how would that have affected the City theme afterwards? :shrug_confused:

NWID3cW.jpg

It probably would've been town related as it wouldn't do well on it's own and there isn't anywhere else to put it. 

I don't think it would've affected them in anyway though. 

It seems like you and @jonwil know about canceled City sets. You should make a thread called Cancelled City Sets Discussion.

2 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

It seems like you and @jonwil know about canceled City sets. You should make a thread called Cancelled City Sets Discussion.

Well, there's already this one...

A general idea is that LEGO should make more fun interiors for their City buildings, just like they do for Friends. 

9 minutes ago, mikaelsol said:

A general idea is that LEGO should make more fun interiors for their City buildings, just like they do for Friends. 

I'm not a sexist. I say this from experience in working with children.

Friends is basically City from a girl's point of view. That's why. 

Both of them are focused on city life from a different gender's point of view. 

For boys, city life mostly has to do with vehicles, especially ones involved with first responders, heavy machinery or adventure vehicles.

For girls its things like going to the mall or shopping. Thus why both themes do things different. 

Overall, little boys don't really pay attention to details like little girls do, thus why City isn't known for being very detailed with their buildings as they are with their vehicles. 

Though I did recommend that Lego start a City 16+ line that will put a wedge between modulars and the regular City sets. I'd like to keep hope alive, but others doubt it would happen. But we can always MOC for a reason. 

For right now, as my good buddy @Vindicare has said before, it's best to keep our wishlist within reason.  

31 minutes ago, mikaelsol said:

I'm always surprised when my girls friends sets are being built as to the detailed interiors, its on par with the modulars. 41318 heartlake hospital is so impressive we rebuilt it recently and it still wows me

1 hour ago, mikaelsol said:

Creator 3-in-1 has some nice interiors but the amount of buildings seems to vary a lot per year, so far 2020 hoping for at least a regular Family House set again.

Thing with City is that most of it's buildings are often overshadowed by so many included vehicles while Creator and Friends often have just the building as a set, or a tiny car/bike included at most.

Personally I still see 3-in-1 as an extension to City, City has stopped making houses 10 years ago, and most buildings are in those mega vehicle sets like Capital City/Ski Resort/Donut Shop etc.

I would be more likely to buy those City buildings if they were sold seperately (best example would be something like the Hotel in Capital City, or the Ski Shop in Ski Resort)

Even Jangbricks has said something similar for those larger sets to be seperated in his reviews of sets like Capital City / Ski Resort.

Edited by TeriXeri

12 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Personally I still see 3-in-1 as an extension to City, City has stopped making houses 10 years ago, and most buildings are in those mega vehicle sets like Capital City/Ski Resort/Donut Shop etc.

I agree! Creator needs to start making houses again. I understand trying to understand why Lego does what they do. But taking houses from a Lego theme that made its money on houses during its launch is going too far. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

Creator 3-in-1 has some nice interiors but the amount of buildings seems to vary a lot per year, so far 2020 hoping for at least a regular Family House set again.

Thing with City is that most of it's buildings are often overshadowed by so many included vehicles while Creator and Friends often have just the building as a set, or a tiny car/bike included at most.

I would be more likely to buy those City buildings if they were sold seperately (best example would be something like the Hotel in Capital City, or the Ski Shop in Ski Resort)

Even Jangbricks has said something similar for those larger sets to be seperated in his reviews of sets like Capital City / Ski Resort.

Absolutely to everything you said. Even smaller sets like Museum Break In had too many vehicles. Capital City was gummed up with too much in my opinion. The crane, halfpipe & Police bike could’ve easily been omitted. If I didn’t find it for 40% off, I wouldn’t have bought it(still haven’t even built the crane). It’s the same with the donut shop, get rid of the toy store & crane(again....) & make a bigger donut shop. That business is such a departure for LEGO it’s a shame we got something that small. 

At this point I'm more likely to get like multiples of 3-in-1 sets like Toy Store on sale, and then make a street with that template, depending on summer 2020 sets.

Even LEGO seems to encourage that with their technic-pin holes between each build.

Even the alternate builds have those double pin-holes in the same slot, and both 2019/2020 3-in-1 sets are 12-deep even with all the alternate builds.

At least it's an alternative to the Expert Modulars in the way the connect and form a street (if you don't mind open-backs), and with some modification also could connect to sets like Corner Deli.

Edited by TeriXeri

50 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

Absolutely to everything you said. Even smaller sets like Museum Break In had too many vehicles. Capital City was gummed up with too much in my opinion. The crane, halfpipe & Police bike could’ve easily been omitted. If I didn’t find it for 40% off, I wouldn’t have bought it(still haven’t even built the crane). It’s the same with the donut shop, get rid of the toy store & crane(again....) & make a bigger donut shop. That business is such a departure for LEGO it’s a shame we got something that small. 

I agree with you there. That's why nowadays, I only get sets as long as they are  reasonable. Sometimes when I go on eBay, I find certain parts of sets and most of them on are actually useful. I was able to find the harvester from the harvester transport. I ordered it. 

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

Btw, isn't this topic supposed to be about City set ideas. 

True.

So thinking of the 1990 Safari Off-Roader release in 2020 been looking at some early 90s sets :

The big stand-out would be a restaurant, but Friends released this one very recently in Summer 2019 :

6376-1.jpg41379-1.jpg?201905140825

That said the 1990 airplane does look timeless next to the mailplane.

6673-1.jpg60250-1.jpg?201912050921

1990 also was the year of those Racers

1665-1.jpg60256-1.jpg?201912050921

Now trying to find sets that we Don't have now , going beyond just 1990 certainly would be sets like this : 

Harbors (both 1991) , also 9 years since the last one in 2011 , as said before, potential good use for the magnet piece.

6542-1.jpg6541-1.jpg

Marina  (we have a Diving yacht and a 2020 race boat but no marina to go with it) , also 9 years since the last one in 2011 , 2011 also had a Race Boat on a truck.

6543-1.jpg4644-1.jpg?201102221212 

Surf Shack (1993) , many surfboards in sets recently, but only 1 surfer with sail in the 2017 People Pack, the logo is still used on 2017 figure in that color, and 2019 figure in a more "Miami Vice" pink variant.

6595-1.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

@TeriXeri That was back when City's buildings were still well detailed. But they were playable at the same time. 

I'm thinking of a transport subtheme that's a combination of Transport, Traffic and Cargo

2853301-1.png

latest?cb=20090930041205

048.jpg

Edited by Brandon Pea

Sets Idea: This is actually my version of a Transport subtheme revival. 

• Harbor - A cross between the harbors from both 2007 and 2011. Includes the new magnet piece. 
  • Bus Driver Meet - Includes a blue city bus, yellow school bus, green motor coach and a red two story bus. Stops also would be included. AFOLs can put it in their towns and it could also act as a bus terminal.  Or for KFOLs, they can play bus driver. Buses have easy to remove roofs too. 
  • Garage - Less cartoonish than the tuning workshop. More generic looking like the one from 2009. This would be focused more on service and repair than high performance upgrades and customization. 
  • Cargo Terminal - Comes with everything a cargo terminal needs including straight truck and freight plane. 
  • Speedy Delivery - Basically a post office. I call this Speedy delivery so it could appeal to kids more. Includes a six stud wide postal van. 
  • Recycle Truck - Basically a recycle center. Its similar to the recycle truck from 2012. 
  • Taxi - a taxi van and a little waiting area. 
Edited by Brandon Pea

15779292491_5f67367c50_b.jpg

Now this is something I'd definitely buy from City if they were to make something similar. Only I think a rapid transit train would look better in blue than red. They should make it push along so that there is more playability. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

8 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Now this is something I'd definitely buy from City if they were to make something similar. Only I think a rapid transit train would look better in blue than silver and red. They should make it push along so that there is more playability. 

Many newer Metro vehicles in NL are Silver and Red. (Alstom M5 in this case).

?appId=21791a8992982cd8da851550a453bd7f&

Edited by TeriXeri

38 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Many newer Metro vehicles in NL are Silver and Red. (Alstom M5 in this case).

?appId=21791a8992982cd8da851550a453bd7f&

Yeah! That is true. The ones here in DC are silver and black. I'd recommend a similar shape to the one in my area, but I think molding the shape would be a bit hard and expensive. 

WMATA7000.jpg

Maybe something similar to New York City would be better. Silver seems to be a great choice for a rapid transit train. 

Manhattan_bound_R143_L_train_at_New_Lots