Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

How about a cargo terminal? With train car, track, helicopter, jet, delivery truck? And a library, with books, CDs, video games, movies, desktops for internet browsing, a librarian, and a cat who inexplicably decides to make noise, much to the librarian's chagrin.

Edited by Modeltrainman

4 hours ago, Collector245 said:

They should make some buildings with no interior so you can design it on your own. I agree they should make a shopping mall set. 

I always wanted them to do that. Like make a random office building with no interior. Then people can design the interior anyway they want. 

Well, one thing I've long wanted to see is a new system of road pieces that would have more of the sort of versatility we see with lego train tracks. Previous road baseplates and playmats are simply ill-equipped for building stuff like hills, bridges, overpasses, underpasses, partial curves, etc. They also lack antistud connections and have The closest we came to a more versatile system like that was in 6600 Highway Construction, and that was far from ideal, since it allowed only for 90 degree curves and a rather sharp incline.

I suppose this isn't strictly a City-related request since LEGO might release it as part of a more neutral theme like Xtra if they were to take this step… but it is primarily relevant to themes like City and Friends that tend towards modern-day urban settings.

3 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Well, one thing I've long wanted to see is a new system of road pieces that would have more of the sort of versatility we see with lego train tracks. Previous road baseplates and playmats are simply ill-equipped for building stuff like hills, bridges, overpasses, underpasses, partial curves, etc. They also lack antistud connections and have The closest we came to a more versatile system like that was in 6600 Highway Construction, and that was far from ideal, since it allowed only for 90 degree curves and a rather sharp incline.

I would like to see more of those tbh. It always annoyed me how when I would play on my baseplates, they'd come apart while I'm rolling the cars around. I had to start connecting them with flat pieces. I think they should also do parking lot plates. 

7 hours ago, Collector245 said:

They should make some buildings with no interior so you can design it on your own. I agree they should make a shopping mall set. 

Literally every pre-2011 creator house!

I asked a city designer why we had not seen a farm theme in 10 years, since the last wave was great and a lot of AFOLs would like to see a new wave..
He could not say anything of what is coming off course, but basically other sub-themes did better when they did testing with kids :def_shrug:
So that was not so promising, but hopefully some farm loving kids are taking part in the test next time farm is in it :wink:

I’ve always wanted a zoo, and more cargo related stuff.  Any shops would be welcome too - a butcher is probably by top pick there.

42 minutes ago, Vilhelm22 said:

I’ve always wanted a zoo, and more cargo related stuff.  Any shops would be welcome too - a butcher is probably by top pick there.

I hope to see a revival of the cargo subtheme too. I hope to also see a butcher's shop. But that's more likely to be seen in a mega set. 

I don't think a zoo is likely though. 

3 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I asked a city designer why we had not seen a farm theme in 10 years, since the last wave was great and a lot of AFOLs would like to see a new wave..
He could not say anything of what is coming off course, but basically other sub-themes did better when they did testing with kids :def_shrug:
So that was not so promising, but hopefully some farm loving kids are taking part in the test next time farm is in it :wink:

So they do bring children there and test them out? 

Test them out with some buses and see if a transit theme is likely. I also would like to see a City Dump. 

Edited by pooda

1 hour ago, Vilhelm22 said:

I’ve always wanted a zoo,

Me too :wink: but I think friends will get one before city unfortunately :def_shrug: Some boys love animals like myself when I was young, but more like cars, police etc. I think more girls love animals, but since they have friends now it will probably end up there...

51 minutes ago, pooda said:

So they do bring children there and test them out? 

Not sure how it works, but when they have made new sets they will test them with kids and make adjustments before they are released on the marked..

7 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Me too :wink: but I think friends will get one before city unfortunately :def_shrug: Some boys love animals like myself when I was young, but more like cars, police etc. I think more girls love animals, but since they have friends now it will probably end up there...

That's a shame. I would like a zoo, but I'd be ashamed to be seen walking out of the store with something made for girls. 

7 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Not sure how it works, but when they have made new sets they will test them with kids and make adjustments before they are released on the marked..

I hope the make the right decisions for the new police station. 

17 minutes ago, pooda said:

but I'd be ashamed to be seen walking out of the store with something made for girls. 

Is a kids toy any better :tongue: I am sure a lot of male AFOLs buy friends sets, because they are well made and have a lot of parts in rare colours. I would have bought a lot of friends sets myself if it was not for the fact that most of the animals are to unrealistic for my taste (i usually only buy city sets for the animals now)  :def_shrug:

12 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Is a kids toy any better :tongue: I am sure a lot of male AFOLs buy friends sets, because they are well made and have a lot of parts in rare colours. I would have bought a lot of friends sets myself if it was not for the fact that most of the animals are to unrealistic for my taste (i usually only buy city sets for the animals now)  :def_shrug:

Tbh. I'm not ashamed of other Lego sets. Tbh, the extra police vehicles have grown on me. I'm actually trying to get that truck from 60209. But I don't want the plane that goes with it. But I don't think we need a headquarters every year. 

Edited by pooda

My proposed sets for summer 2020. 

• Shopping District Mega Set
  • Barber Shop. (Ok I know it may not sell well among kids. But I would like to see how older fans would marvel)
  • Family Home (perhaps an evolved one of the ones from classic town)
  • Outback Enthusiasts subtheme, which would be a reboot of the Outback theme from 1997 

My proposed sets for 2021

• A metro transit subtheme 
  • A roadside repair subtheme
  • A power subtheme 
  • A medical subtheme
  • A subtheme centered around pizza delivery 
  • The respective great vehicles 
  • The respective town sets 

4 hours ago, pooda said:

Barber Shop. (Ok I know it may not sell well among kids. But I would like to see how older fans would marvel)

In Detectives office.

4 hours ago, pooda said:

Family Home (perhaps an evolved one of the ones from classic town)

Home.

Home.

Home.

Home.

4 hours ago, pooda said:

A metro transit subtheme

Metro transit.

Metro transit.

Metro transit.

5 hours ago, pooda said:

A roadside repair subtheme

Roadside repair.

Roadside repair.

Roadside repair.

5 hours ago, pooda said:

A medical subtheme

Medical.

Medical.

5 hours ago, pooda said:

A subtheme centered around pizza delivery

Pizza delivery.

Amazing ideas here. Really new stuff that that hasn't been done year after year. All of these could totally support an entire "subtheme" of multiple sets, like a pizza delivery subtheme where one vehicle covers everything.

On 5/16/2007 at 9:02 AM, Klaus-Dieter said:

It would be very nice if TLC would go on with those nice products, so I thought we here on Eurobricks could collect some ideas for new City sets.

1 hour ago, pooda said:

I wish people would stop mentioning what's been covered already.

But the original post asks for new ideas?:shrug_confused:

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

But the original post asks for new ideas?:shrug_confused:

The title asks for  ideas for new sets, not "new ideas" , there are no strict defined rules.

This is just a place to discuss potential wishlists for City sets.

I've seen people complain about wishlisting" in 2019/2020 threads so this is certainly the place to wishlist any new City sets (that aren't based on rumours/names/pictures already)

It's not strange to desire a new version of a set even if it has been made 3-4 years ago already, but has since "retired" (I don't consider secondary market as "On shelves")

Edited by TeriXeri

2 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

The title asks for  ideas for new sets, not "new ideas" , there are no strict defined rules.

This is just a place to discuss potential wishlists outside of those 2019/2020 threads which are more focused on rumours/set names and pictures or reviews.

It's not strange to desire a new version of a set even if it has been made 3-4 years ago already, but has since "retired" (I don't consider secondary market as "On shelves")

Exactly. But I didn't feel the need to explain that. I also love how he brought up sets that have been long off of the shelves. 

Anyway. What do you think of my ideas? 

30 minutes ago, pooda said:

Anyway. What do you think of my ideas? 

Some updated construction/maintenance line of sets could be nice indeed.

While we had Arctic, Volcano and Mining recurring almost every 2 years, the last year where we got multiple regular yellow city maintenance was 2015 (tagged under Demolition but could be considered construction as well)

2019 had that Construction Loader, which is great, We also had a yellow crane in Downtown fire but that set is simply too big to be considered "construction"

2020 likely has an Excavator set (could be bulldozer as well based on translation), and a Street Sweeper as standalone vehicles.

Edited by TeriXeri

@TeriXeri I personally would also like to see City's industrial side make a major return for 2021. 

Themes I'd like to see return. 

I would love to see the Harbor subtheme make a comeback. This time along with the harbor and a beach, I'd also add a pier police set like the one in the 90s and another ferry. This time, one that can accommodate big rigs. Also to save money, I'd probably merge the coast guard headquarters under that subtheme. 

I have been screaming for the Mail and Cargo subtheme from 2008 to return. This time, give us an actual cargo terminal and a post office building. 

The Medical subtheme deserves to be brought back and given three year rotation status. Doctors and paramedics are like in the top 5 when it comes to people that children look up to. 

But the one I really would like to see make a comeback is the Garage theme from 2009. I will hammer that one till the cows come home. I used to work on cars. I'm offended that it was just a come and go theme. It was here in 2009 and gone in 2010. Never even got a chance to really sell before being discontinued. I guess the tuning shop in 2020 will compensate. 

Speaking of the cows coming home. Lego I beg of you! Please bring the Farm subtheme back! I never even got a chance to get the farm. 

New Subtheme Ideas. 

I will continue to push for this one until it's done. Make a Buses subtheme. I work for the Transit system. That's why I push for this so much. Though I'd make the buses blue. Not yellow. 

How about a Pizza subtheme to complement the City aye? Since it seems so huge. 

I would also love to see a Power subtheme centered around the electricians of Lego City and a News subtheme centered around the TV6+ news crew.

If they absolutely had to do a police theme, I'd recommend a rather unusual one. 

Suburban Police

Yes. I mean the cops chasing them into the suburbs. So much potential there; a grocery store heist with a actual grocery store, a school bus chase set (influced from the school bus chase back in 2018), the mobile unit that we're missing from 2020, a police bus and a home invasion set. It's also unusual because there is no police station. There wouldn't be any point. All they need is to be taken to the police station in the city. 

Edited by pooda

Here in Queensland they have what they call "neighborhood police beats" which are smaller buildings (that don't have the full facilities of a regular station like lockup cells) and are designed to provide a place for officers to be stationed that's closer to where they need to be. These can be as small as a 1-room transportable building that has parking space for police vehicles and a little bit of room for a front counter and a desk or two. (they also have "police beats" as shops in major shopping centres to provide another way for the public to interact with the police)

Something along these lines with maybe a single story police building, a small police car and maybe 3 cops around the US$30 price point would be cool to see.

I also want to see more food trucks like the pizza truck from a while back and more food stands like the burger bar from this year (so many styles of food they could go for like tacos or wings or barbecue or Asian)

15 hours ago, pooda said:

@TeriXeri

The Medical subtheme deserves to be brought back and given three year rotation status. Doctors and paramedics are like in the top 5 when it comes to people that children look up to. 

This is the only thing I'm confused about since the 2018 hospital is still being sold (by LEGO themselves) right now, and that set has 4 doctors, 2 paramedics, an ambulance and helicopter + hospital.

Even if that set were to retire in early 2020, I still don't expect another hospital until 2021.

Edited by TeriXeri

11 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

This is the only thing I'm confused about since the 2018 hospital is still being sold (by LEGO themselves) right now, and that set has 4 doctors, 2 paramedics, an ambulance and helicopter + hospital.

Even if that set were to retire in early 2020, I still don't expect another hospital until 2021.

Or until 2024 if they were to keep up the same 6 year hiatus system for hospitals. 

I also surprised that Airport and Harbor doesn't get three year rotation status as sailors and pilots are also in the top 5.