Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

@Collector245 Thank You! I do have to admit however that I do worry it would never happen considering that the City division of LEGO has to save bricks for police and "beyond the city" sets. But I'd like to keep hope alive and say that there may be room for a grocery store, proper bus terminal, pizzeria, news station or a post office next year or the year after. Maybe even an office building. You never know. I think the Creator Division would have the latter under control. 

Personally I think that LEGO produces way to many police stations. I have always been more into buildings and other things you can find in a real city. I think that all of those ideas sound great, and I would like to see them made into sets in the near future.

3 minutes ago, Collector245 said:

Personally I think that LEGO produces way to many police stations. I have always been more into buildings and other things you can find in a real city. I think that all of those ideas sound great, and I would like to see them made into sets in the near future.

Nooooo. Don't say that here. You'll get roasted and become a political prisoner here.

But yeah I agree. Though I do regret not getting the mountain police headquarters as my Lego layout is more of a country side like setting more than a city. 

I would like to see one year without a police wave. Not in 2020 because my favorite police is coming. So maybe in 2021. Police may "sell" but I mean, it's not like it'll start a war if there is one year without a police theme. 

I agree that LEGO could go without a police station for a year, they could take the previous years set and leave it on the shelves. They could use that time to focus on another set, maybe a grocery store or some other city set like a post office.

8 minutes ago, Collector245 said:

What are your favorite police sets? If you don't mind me asking. 

The classic police sets. With that being said best years for police sets; 2005, 2008, 2011, 2014, 2017 and I'm sure 2020 will be good. In my opinion, if a police theme free year proves no detriment at all, then I think Lego should stick with regular police sets and leave it there. 

Edited by pooda

7 hours ago, lifeinplastic said:

Some good ideas here (although I dislike Lego using stickers as I feel it cheapens the products, which nobody wants when paying Lego's prices).

I always prefer printed parts.

I only suggested stickers as they have done an Xtra sticker pack already, and in the case of flags, they simply won't print dozens, if not hundreds of different flags/signs.

Edited by TeriXeri

I have every City police station they made except that one with the light-up cop minifig and the re-issue of that same set without the light-up cop minifig (and if I can ever track down the light-up cop set at a reasonable price I would want it to complete the collection). I love LEGO police stations, they can often be great parts packs for the things I build. We know nothing about next years police station (size, price, piece count, features, what it looks like) and I already know I want it for my collection.

I also absolutely do want to see an xtra road sign set with lots of signs, sign bases and stickers for those signs. Same with a flag set that could include a bunch of flags and flagpoles and a bunch of stickers of different national flags (they better not leave Australia off the list if they do it)

@jonwil I've only owned the classic  police stations. But I missed the 2005 and 2008. But i was able to acquire the 2011, 2014 and 2017 when they came out. The 2014 was my favorite one. 

Edited by pooda

Not a set idea - but I really hope that TLG will bring back the instruction booklets like they were til 2018!

I mean: When you buy a bigger set this year with more booklets inside, then (apart from the number of the bags) all booklets have the same picture on it - namely the whole set. This is cheaper for TLG, but imo a big regress: You always have to open the booklet in order to know which part of the set you build with it. Esp. when you have a bigger collection and a part of a set got damaged and you want to build it up again, you have to take out several instructions of your folder and have to open each in order to see which booklet is the one you need.

In contrast, the instruction booklets of bigger sets til 2018 always had on their titles the parts of the set that you build with this booklet - that was much better!

21 hours ago, pooda said:
21 hours ago, HereWeGoAgain said:

I'd definetely like to see a new wave of deep sea exploration. Last one dates back to 2015 if I'm not mistaken. Those sets were really cool in their design and color. 

I agree with both of those. Deep Sea would give me some Divers nostalgia there.

I've likely expressed this here before, but as for where they should take the next Deep Sea Exploration theme, I'd really like it to revolve around submarine archaeology of sunken off-coast ruins, kinda as a more grounded nod to the Atlantis theme. :classic:

@TeriXeri I also prefer printed bricks. I feel it makes buying used sets much easier. I also think printed bricks make building easier because you don't have to worry about centering the sticker just right on the brick, and deciding whether or not to put on the stickers if you are not going to keep the set forever.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I've likely expressed this here before, but as for where they should take the next Deep Sea Exploration theme, I'd really like it to revolve around submarine archaeology of sunken off-coast ruins, kinda as a more grounded nod to the Atlantis theme. :classic:

I don't think that's likely to happen! City mostly does their own thing - which is mainly finding valueables under water. But there were some sunken ship pieces in the 2015 wave of Deep Sea Explorers sets. 

42 minutes ago, pooda said:

I don't think that's likely to happen! City mostly does their own thing - which is mainly finding valueables under water. But there were some sunken ship pieces in the 2015 wave of Deep Sea Explorers sets. 

I don't see exactly why it couldn't happen, as sunken ruins of ancient civilizations aren't just merely limited to myths and legends such as Atlantis. :wink:

2 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I don't see exactly why it couldn't happen, as sunken ruins of ancient civilizations aren't just merely limited to myths and legends such as Atlantis. :wink:

Yeah! But City is supposed to be based on realism. 

Marina

Similar to the larger 'City Square' and 'Town Square' in terms of size but coastal based and with a more tropical 'Fun At The Beach'/Paradisa vibe.

• Small parade of buildings including Gelateria and a Surf or Scuba Shop (ice cream vendor and 2 divers)
  • Mini 'luxury yacht' - (suave playboy type yacht owner with 2 guests)
  • Speedboat with water skier - (driver and skier)
  • Two or three convertible cars - (Hawaiian shirt driver)
  • Jetty (fisherman, cyclist with bikes)

How about some adventure/research style sets that aren't yellow/orange or lime green?

Look at all these great designs that I didn't buy because the colors are off putting: 

60125-1.jpg?201605200842

60195-1.jpg?201805220828

60162-1.jpg?201705100956

I don't want my adventure vehicles to be the color of school buses and garbage trucks. How about something in red, or blue, or gray, or white, or darker green?

@danth I personally don't mind the colors of those. The arctic sets especially gave me some nostalgia as the old Arctic sets from the Classic Town theme were orange as well. 

53 minutes ago, lifeinplastic said:

Marina

Similar to the larger 'City Square' and 'Town Square' in terms of size but coastal based and with a more tropical 'Fun At The Beach'/Paradisa vibe.

• Small parade of buildings including Gelateria and a Surf or Scuba Shop (ice cream vendor and 2 divers)
  • Mini 'luxury yacht' - (suave playboy type yacht owner with 2 guests)
  • Speedboat with water skier - (driver and skier)
  • Two or three convertible cars - (Hawaiian shirt driver)
  • Jetty (fisherman, cyclist with bikes)

That reminds me of a combination between Paradisa and the Nautica theme from Classic Town. 

4 hours ago, pooda said:

@danth I personally don't mind the colors of those. The arctic sets especially gave me some nostalgia as the old Arctic sets from the Classic Town theme were orange as well. 

I like the old arctic set colors better. There was more blue, gray, and especially transparent dark blue. 

6575-1.jpg?199911090439

@danth I like those too. That was back when baseplates ruled. Unfortunately because of certain marketing strategies, the town (which technically the arctic sets were under) sets did poorly. They're actually doing much better now. Though I do hope that the next arctic sets have a blue base set. That way, it'll be the arctic wave that'll turn us back into 9 years again. 

Here are two other classic police sets I'd like to see next year. 

Police Grocery Store Burgulary - this actually would include a small grocery store that's about the same size as the doughnut shop. This set will take place at night do there are no staff minifigures. 

Police School Bus Heist - while the children are out of school, the crooks steal a school bus disguised as school officials and use it to load some valuable jewelry. A police van is chasing them in this set. 

Subtheme Idea: Paradisa 

So the synopsis is basically showing Lego City from a little girl's point of view. Now this subtheme is not likely to happen as Friends is practically Lego City for girls. But then there are those girls who want yellow people. Well let's give it to them! 

• 60310 Paradisa Motorboat
  • 60311 Paradisa Emporium 
  • 60312 Paradisa Country Club
  • 60313 Paradisa Supermarket 
  • 60314 Paradisa Restaurant 
  • 60315 Paradisa Horse Stable
  • 60316 Paradisa Police Headquarters (for obvious reasons) 
Edited by pooda

On 8/30/2019 at 11:55 AM, danth said:

How about some adventure/research style sets that aren't yellow/orange or lime green?

Look at all these great designs that I didn't buy because the colors are off putting: 

I don't want my adventure vehicles to be the color of school buses and garbage trucks. How about something in red, or blue, or gray, or white, or darker green?

I can definitely sympathize, as Olive Green or Earth Green expeditionary vehicles for instance can look a lot more adventurously rustic. If you think about it though, outside of City, Lego seems to reserve more "rustic" colors for vehicles to period-set adventure playthemes such as Pharaoh's Quest and Monster Fighters while brighter color schemes are designated to modern-set lines like Dino and Atlantis. :def_shrug: