Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

Here a few hypothetical subthemes which I (and others) have pitched on this topic previously that I hope to see explored by the City theme in the next few years:

• Lunar Outpost (i.e. Classic Space 2.0)
  • Studios 
  • Urban Archaeology (i.e. excavation/unearthing of medieval ruins through urban construction)
  • Australian Outback
  • Submarine Archaeology (i.e. the Atlantis theme revisited within a more realistic context)
  • Serengeti Safari
  • Natural Disaster Search & Rescue (i.e. 1998's Res-Q revisited
  • Alpine Search & Rescue
  • Deep-Sea Volcanic Exploration (i.e. 2015's Deep Sea Explorers meets 2016's Volcano Explorers)
  • City Zoo

I absolutely agree with you on this list, @Digger of Bricks!

These are all mostly completely new themes - but I would even like very much to see Farm and Harbor returning, too. Plus some neighboorhood with different houses, supermarket and school would be nice, too. And don't forget a big train station.

On 6/15/2019 at 1:53 AM, TeriXeri said:

Now that minifig horses are being made again for Harry Potter, hoping for some City or Castle (or Xtra) set with horses next year.

I know horseriding is a recurring theme in Friends (with a different type of horse), even this year, but that doesn't take away that they still fit in the minifig world as well.

Even if it's in something like Mounted Police in a smaller set (2 horses, trailer, police SUV in similar style to the current 2019 Fire ones) I'd be happy.

That's an excellent idea, TeriXeri!

It could look like the SUV with the horse trailer from the Farm theme in 2009 - 7635 - which was imo a quite nice set:7635-1.jpg?200811160109

On 6/15/2019 at 5:34 PM, Lyichir said:

A mounted police officer could be a neat change of pace. I could definitely see one of those added for variety, especially if Lego ever did a "people pack" for police like the Space people pack this year, where having many different types of police officers would be important.

Like I already mentioned in my analysis of this year's City theme, I could well imagine that the 2020 Police theme will see a People Pack instead of the "classic" Starter Pack. In this I could well see a police officer on horseback, too.

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

25 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

I absolutely agree with you on this list, @Digger of Bricks!

I've just now had another idea for a future subtheme! :classic:

While I've previously entertained such an approach for the Friends theme in particular, another new direction I was particularly thinking of for the next Space subtheme is towards is Commercial Space Tourism, much in the vein of the more recent real-life aspirations for such from Space X and Virgin Galactic. 

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I've just now had another idea for a future subtheme! :classic:

While I've previously entertained such an approach for the Friends theme in particular, another new direction I was particularly thinking of for the next Space subtheme is towards is Commercial Space Tourism, much in the vein of the more recent real-life aspirations for such from Space X and Virgin Galactic. 

I think for City that sounds a little TOO pie in the sky. Not just because it's a ways out before such a thing is proven practical, but also because it's a far cry from the typical vocation-based subject matter of the City theme (focused more on everyday people at work than on leisure and luxury for the ultra-rich).

It's time to put the city back to work again. Here are some set ideas I have, which are just buildings and locations. 

Grocery Store (includes 16x16 stud wide grocery store and food delivery truck) est. $59.99 ?

Octan Service Station (includes six stud wide tow truck, car, motorbike, car wash and auto rapid bay) est $69.99

Bus Terminal (includes terminal building with indoor waitingwaita, fare machines and mini city bus) est. $79.99 ?

Airport (includes big passenger jet, terminal building and luggage trolley) est. $99.99 ✈

City Pizza (includes pizzeria building with dining area and guest entertainment along with pizza delivery vehicle) ? est. $49.99

Post Office (includes post office building with mail van) ✉ est. $49.99

Edited by pooda

On 6/15/2019 at 1:43 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Studios 

We're over due for a Studios like line, or even just a news truck. With all the crime and fires in LEGO City, where's all the people to document it? Heck, even do a newspaper and journalists. I would absolutely love a full blown Studios theme, complete with trailers, cameras and sets.

13 minutes ago, KotZ said:

We're over due for a Studios like line, or even just a news truck. With all the crime and fires in LEGO City, where's all the people to document it? Heck, even do a newspaper and journalists. I would absolutely love a full blown Studios theme, complete with trailers, cameras and sets.

Yo! A news station is one of my building ideas. But I didn't list that one because I didn't think people would want it. 

Also don't forget about the air shows and great vehicle shows. 

I'm definitely putting that one as a building idea. 

19 minutes ago, pooda said:

Yo! A news station is one of my building ideas. But I didn't list that one because I didn't think people would want it. 

Also don't forget about the air shows and great vehicle shows. 

I'm definitely putting that one as a building idea. 

Whenever I move into a large enough space hopefully in the next 10 or so years, I'm definitely doing a large city with studios and other film industry related buildings.

I think people would want news related things. Playmobil has all kinds of different sets and themes, from zoos to TSA. I'm sure LEGO could do the same.

4 hours ago, KotZ said:

While it's not Studios, there's at least a (TV6) news truck in the 2019 Donut shop opening City set, and some more journalists in the Space people pack.

https://brickset.com/sets/60233-1/Donut-shop-opening

I think it could have easily made it's own small set however instead of being part of this €85 "mega pack" type set. 

2014 was the last News Van set but that was a Friends set, and 1997 Town goes back even further.

2015 had a TV6 Helicopter (again in a huge City Square set however), and 2016 had a TV6 transmitter dish in a Fire set. 

But that tends to be a thing with those large City sets in general, they have many smaller builds, that are just never going to 100% appeal to everyone, but I can also understand LEGO not releasing 20 more smaller CITY sets per year by splitting up those large sets. (shelf space, money, packaging, production factors etc)

A TV/Movie Studio set would be cool to see however.

Seeing how TV6 seems to be City's TV/News brand, a TV6 building would be nice.

Edited by TeriXeri

4 hours ago, KotZ said:
On 6/15/2019 at 3:43 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Studios 

The kind of sets I'd wish to see from a Studios subtheme of City's would include camera-rigged vehicles (cars, helicopters, etc) and cranes for filming large outdoor set pieces for big-budget tentpole movies within the city limits, much in the spirit of the original Studios theme. :classic:

18 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

The kind of sets I'd wish to see from a Studios subtheme of City's would include camera-rigged vehicles (cars, helicopters, etc) and cranes for filming large outdoor set pieces for big-budget tentpole movies within the city limits, much in the spirit of the original Studios theme. :classic:

I liked the concept of the Lego Movie 2 Movie Maker set, I have the set from a gift and the stage/backdrop is a nice build.

I'm not 100% on the whole phone/app interaction or microscale builds, but using the paper/cardboard method to get 2 backgrounds is nice.

The last thing I'd like to see is LEGO using huge stickered backgrounds.

70820-1.jpg?201811200650

Imagine having the Lightning/Mountains backdrop on the Movie Maker set.

I know I could probably make/print my own paper backdrop and use it on the Movie Maker set with something like the Hidden Side sets,  actually might be a fun idea.

1382-1.jpg?200112121200

Edited by TeriXeri

46 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Exactly, a massive throwback to the original Studios line would be fantastic. There's a lot they could do, steadicams for minifigures, "drones", etc.

12 hours ago, KotZ said:

Whenever I move into a large enough space hopefully in the next 10 or so years, I'm definitely doing a large city with studios and other film industry related buildings.

I think people would want news related things. Playmobil has all kinds of different sets and themes, from zoos to TSA. I'm sure LEGO could do the same.

With that being said.....I have a few more building ideas. 

TV 6+ News Station (includes two story news building, news van and news chopper) ? est. $59.99

Office (includes a tall five story building, limousine and private helicopter) ? est. $69.99

Driving School (includes driving school building and several Smart cars in differediffelors) ? est. $39.99

School (includes school building with school bus) ? est. $49.99

Family Home (includes a small house with a family of four and a van) ? est. 39.99

Edited by pooda

On 7/4/2019 at 11:23 AM, ShadowWolfHount said:

I'm pretty sure the creator theme have the Family Home cover.

City has done a family home before. Matter of fact, it was made at the same time Creator was doing houses. 

On 7/3/2019 at 4:10 AM, pooda said:

With that being said.....I have a few more building ideas. 

TV 6+ News Station (includes two story news building, news van and news chopper) ? est. $59.99

Office (includes a tall five story building, limousine and private helicopter) ? est. $69.99

Driving School (includes driving school building and several Smart cars in differediffelors) ? est. $39.99

School (includes school building with school bus) ? est. $49.99

Family Home (includes a small house with a family of four and a van) ? est. 39.99

News feels like a theme that could have its own mini line. Four or so sets of different local reporting scenes and the big station. 

Just now, corasaur said:

News feels like a theme that could have its own mini line. Four or so sets of different local reporting scenes and the big station. 

Yeah! It does too! However, I do building ideas just in case a subtheme isn't possible. 

City Subtheme Idea 1: News ?

60320 TV 6+ News Station (includes news building, news van and news drone)

60321 TV 6+ Aerial Unit (includes news chopper, pilot and reporter minifigure) 

60322 TV 6+ Mobile Weather Unit (includes weather truck and some reporters

60323 Radio Station

Edited by pooda

On 7/6/2019 at 11:29 AM, pooda said:

City has done a family home before. Matter of fact, it was made at the same time Creator was doing houses. 

True, but considering it was done as a limited release/store exclusive set and LEGO hasn't released any other such houses since, I wonder if perhaps it didn't appeal to as many customers under City branding as similar-sized house sets have under Creator or Friends branding.

I definitely think there's room for LEGO City to have house or apartment sets again, but I think that maybe it might need some kind of special hook that helps to justify releasing it as part of the City theme (presumably, as part of the Town subtheme like like 8403 was) rather than in another theme that appeals more to fans of house sets.

For example, it could have some connection to a character or storyline from the LEGO City Adventures TV series, or some elements to tie it together with other types of more job-focused forms of City play (like, say, a firefighter rescuing a cat from a tree, or an electrical utility company worker repairing power lines out by the sidewalk, or a bus stop and bus, or a pizza delivery guy and their car delivering dinner for the family).

On a side note, it's kind of surprising in hindsight that with the LEGO City theme's big focus on vehicles, the one family house set in the theme didn't have an attached carport or garage like so many Creator houses have had.

21 hours ago, Aanchir said:

True, but considering it was done as a limited release/store exclusive set and LEGO hasn't released any other such houses since, I wonder if perhaps it didn't appeal to as many customers under City branding as similar-sized house sets have under Creator or Friends branding.

I definitely think there's room for LEGO City to have house or apartment sets again, but I think that maybe it might need some kind of special hook that helps to justify releasing it as part of the City theme (presumably, as part of the Town subtheme like like 8403 was) rather than in another theme that appeals more to fans of house sets.

For example, it could have some connection to a character or storyline from the LEGO City Adventures TV series, or some elements to tie it together with other types of more job-focused forms of City play (like, say, a firefighter rescuing a cat from a tree, or an electrical utility company worker repairing power lines out by the sidewalk, or a bus stop and bus, or a pizza delivery guy and their car delivering dinner for the family).

On a side note, it's kind of surprising in hindsight that with the LEGO City theme's big focus on vehicles, the one family house set in the theme didn't have an attached carport or garage like so many Creator houses have had.

Do us a favor. Don't ever become a motivational speaker for people who propose new roads for City sets. LOL 

City has pretty much sworn its allegiance to making police and explorers sets now. They do have the occasional fire sets that come out every three years and some civilian sets. But the two things that I have always known about City was.....THERE IS NO WHERE TO LIVE!!!!! THE JOB MARKET IS LOW!!!!!!

I have a theory for why City is doing this on purpose. 

City is now crime ridden. Most of the citizens who were at one point, honest workers have turned to lives of crime robbing what's left of the banks (police sets) to have a little pocket change.

But then there are those more irate people who take matters to the next level by setting the places where they used to work and live on fire (fire sets). 

You have others who have given up hope on life and the suicidal sailors sail out into the middle of the dangerous seas to their deaths, but then the coast guard has to get involved (coast guard sets). 

Very many overreact and using inspiration from apocalypse based movies, built vehicles that were capable enough to take them to the four corners of the earth to find valuables that can either help boost the economy or make them enough money to get them out of the city before they become victims (the explorers sets). 

Then there are the people who have sense and start their own businesses (the mega sets) to try to get themselves back on their feet. 

You have people who are also homeless but don't commit crimes; instead living their lives as though nothing is wrong (the people packs). 

However, you've got those who don't cope so well. So you have those people who convert their cars into vehicles that have to do with what they used to be before the economy tanked (great vehicles). For example, the guy in set 60150 used to work at a pizza parlor so he converted his van into a mobile pizzeria and the girl from 60183 used to fix rigs and her husband used to be a helicopter pilot. Thus why we have the heavy cargo transport. 

The only three industries that are surviving are the emergency field and the railway industry (trains). But how does the city pay for these services if there are hardly any jobs and there is no where to live? 

If you really look at it, City could actually be a metaphor for how things could go down if the economy were to tank. 

This was actually a theory based off of this guy on YouTube named City Beautiful where he reviewed city sets. I just added to it. 

Edited by pooda

60322 TV 6+ Mobile Weather Unit (includes weather truck, weather reporter and a tornado. 

60323 Radio Station

City Subtheme Idea 2: Metro Transit ?

60324 Park N Ride (a re-release of the 60154 Bus Station) 

60325 Bombardier M7A (includes yellow and green commuter train, driver and passengers, station with taxi and an oval track layout) 

60326 Cable Car (non-motorized; includes driver and two civilians) 

Edited by pooda

Weather unit? makes me wanna try to make a brickbuilt tornado. they'd need something to report on. maybe my old millenium falcon's grey plates should be re-inarnated as a tornado MOC...

Edited by corasaur

2 minutes ago, corasaur said:

Weather unit? makes me wanna try to make a brickbuilt tornado. they'd need something to report on. maybe my old millenium falcon's grey plates should be re-inarnated as a tornado MOC...

The mobile weather unit should be the biggest set under that theme with the news station being smaller. That's how they did this year's fire sets. 

Here is my wishlist for the 2020 Great Vehicles theme:

- car with bicycle on top (10 Euros)

- doctor's car (10 Euros)

- tractor with agricultural trailer (20 Euros)

- helicrane (20 Euros)

- post van (20 Euros)

- (safari) offroad camping truck (30 Euros)

- barge with logs (30 Euros)

8 hours ago, pooda said:

60322 TV 6+ Mobile Weather Unit (includes weather truck, weather reporter and a tornado. 

60323 Radio Station

City Subtheme Idea 2: Metro Transit ?

60324 Park N Ride (a re-release of the 60154 Bus Station) 

60325 Bombardier M7A (includes yellow and green commuter train, driver and passengers, station with taxi and an oval track layout) 

60326 Cable Car (non-motorized; includes driver and two civilians) 

I really like these ideas, pooda!

Only two things have to be noted:

1. I'd prefer the news station to be the biggest set of a possible News theme.

2. That there'll be a whole theme only focused on (metro) transport, is absolutely unlikely. Having observed the City sets over the last ten years, there's a bus or tram in nearly every huge civilian set plus there had been the one stand-alone bus station. TLG for sure will go on this trend. Maybe we could see a new Public Transport System set (like the one from 2010) as an official set, but for sure not as a regular sold set. Plus I could well imagine a new overland bus as a stand-alone set as well as a bus station. Which concerns a commuter train, I fear we have to wait til 2022 when there'll be the next Trains wave - TLG reported that Trains are getting again more popular but at the same time they didn't release a train station last year and gave us no exclusive Trains set this year.

Thank You @Klaus-Dieter! I actually like your great vehicle ideas too. Though instead of the post van, I think they should do a full blown post office. 

1. Actually, the reason behind it was that I wanted the building itself to be the focus of the news station set. But I want it simplified like this year's fire station. Maybe I shouldn't have said it the way i did though. 

2. Lego has shown that they are very great at making buses. But the reason for a Transit subtheme is because 1. I kinda feel insulted that they haven't made one yet being a transit enthusiasts and a  future worker for the transit system and because 2. There was so much potential in that 60152 bus station that they could've made that a subtheme and it would've sold. 

Edited by pooda