Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

Picked up some of the new xtra accessory polybags today (the street lights and the plants). I want to see more of the same from TLG please.

I recon they should do a road signs pack, they haven't done one of those for nearly 20 years and it would be so great to see more road signs for city creations.

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Well, there were rumors of a whale mold coming this year

Maybe the reason the set was cancelled is because a deep sea theme is coming in 2019, as Klaus says

Could we see the whale mould there?

Yes, I could well see it. I mean: Last year TLG released three completely new animal molds (tiger etc., lobster, new spider) and this year, too (mammoth, sabel tooth tiger, new rat). So I bet that there'll be three new animals in 2019, too.

5 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Nevertheless I hope that there will not be any space as well as deap sea exploration sets: Firstly we got them already four years ago. And secondly there are so many other sets and whole themes needed which haven't been done for many more years or even not at all.

Regarding another Space subtheme, I feel it wouldn't be a repeat if they took the next one somewhere else:wink: But, if they return to the Spaceport setting again for the third time in a row without any significant reinvention, yeah, that would be both redundant and disappointing. :sceptic:

By the way, is a potential Space subtheme for next year what you were speaking of over on @BrickJagger's Future Castle Sets discussion topic, as far as a 2019 Space theme?

15 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Realistically the themes list for 2019 imo will be:

- regular fire theme: fire station, fire ship, fire helicopter, ladder truck, fire truck, fire quad and fire starter set

- specialized police theme: either water police or special police forces (I can not think of any other subtheme which hasn't been done in the last years)

- Great Vehicles: 6-8 different sized sets / vehicles

- space theme

- deep sea exploration theme

- one big set: harbor or farm

- people pack: either fun at the station or at the harbor or in the inner city (I can't imagine any other)

- exclusive set: train station

Note on something - this year there is a new motto: "Heroes are needed" - so that this is limiting our possibilities for 2019. 

I think we will see a new specialized fire theme this time. 

Regards

10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Regarding another Space subtheme, I feel it wouldn't be a repeat if they took the next one somewhere else:wink:

In recent years it does seem that there is a trend towards making the annual city exploration sets, more fantastical. I can definitely imagine them doing a new city space theme covering topics like Mars exploration or something like that.

3 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

In recent years it does seem that there is a trend towards making the annual city exploration sets, more fantastical.

Exactly, so it only seems plausible that could very well be the subtheme's "next frontier". :wink:

3 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I can definitely imagine them doing a new city space theme covering topics like Mars exploration or something like that.

Personally, I think they should take their first small step to the moon before making that giant leap to Mars (sorry for all the puns by the way :grin:), as that was after all the presumed setting for Lego's first Classic Space sets.

In my list I forgot that it seems plausible that we'll get an exclusive train set (instead of a harbor, farm or station). Because all two previous train subthemes had an exclusive City train set the year after:

2010: passenger train + cargo train, 2011: red freight train, 2014: high speed train + cargo train, 2015: heavy-haul train, 2018: passenger train + cargo train, 2019: ???

On 7/7/2018 at 1:38 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Regarding another Space subtheme, I feel it wouldn't be a repeat if they took the next one somewhere else:wink: But, if they return to the Spaceport setting again for the third time in a row without any significant reinvention, yeah, that would be both redundant and disappointing. :sceptic:

By the way, is a potential Space subtheme for next year what you were speaking of over on @BrickJagger's Future Castle Sets discussion topic, as far as a 2019 Space theme?

Some months ago there was that competition on Ideas and then some voting, too, for a small GWP set for 2019 which is Space theme related. So there was speculation about Space (not as a City subtheme!) returning in 2019.

Independent from that, a Space theme as a subtheme of City might well be coming in 2019. If TLG decided to release their research themes in a four years circle - but because of the already so often posted reasons imo that would be quite bad!

Its probably been mentioned before but I would love to see an "Outback Explorers" theme set in the Australian Outback. In terms of existing animals, use the crocodile, spider, snake, camel, goat and cow (all of which can be found in the outback). In terms of new animals, you could introduce a sheep, a kangaroo, an emu and maybe a koala or wombat or platypus. Maybe find a dog mold you could use for a dingo or a wild dog.

Bonus points if there is a non-racist culturally sensitive way to get Aborigines into the sets (with the boomerang piece in brown please)

As for the minifigs, introduce a new mold for an Aussie bushman hat (different from the Fedora, the various cowboy hats and the Johnny Thunder type hat). Torsos could feature Aussie bushman type oilskin coats with lots of beards on the heads.

Sets would include off-road 4x4 vehicles including at least one proper Ute along with lots of sand and rock type pieces. Old ruined stone or wooden buildings with tin roofs and verandahs over the edge. Must include a water pump style windmill (a feature of stations and properties all across the outback). You could also include the small nimble helicopters used all across the outback for all sorts of jobs (we all know TLG likes to put helicopters in their sets :)

One set could be "Outback Medivac" or something and feature an airplane similar in nature to the ones the Royal Flying Doctor Service use (the closest they have come to what I am suggesting is a older medical airplane that was released only as an in-flight purchase and is therefore hard to get)

I hope that the new shopping cart (from the Friends 4+ Supermarket) will appear in a big City supermarket with delivery truck next year!

And here is an idea for a Farm People Pack I'd like to see:

small builds:

• pigeons' house on a pile
  • hen house with small ladder to its entrance
  • melting machine
  • vegetable patch

accessory: pushcart, shovel, brush, tools, hayfork, bucket, shepherd's stick, vegetable and two boxes

minifigs and animals:

• grandma
  • grandpa
  • father
  • mother
  • son (medium sized legs)
  • daughter (short legs)
  • baby with printed torso
  • mail shepherd
  • maidservant
  • 2x black-white cow
  • 2x sheep (new mould)
  • 3x pigeon
  • 2x hen
  • cock

ooooh, a farm people pack and a supermarket both sound like things i get. i've loved all the people-packs so far.

i'd love a city farm theme in general. there's gotta be a cute way to do rows of crops in lego form. any crop-field sets couldn't be too huge because of how repetitive it would be, of course. i guess if the theme happens it'll be lots of farm building and animals, which would still be wonderful. i've just wanted a nice expanse of crops growing for a while now.

wait. duh. they can give us a wave of farm police. lego set 8675309- corn field pursuit.  lego set 99999- arrest the cow-tipping teenagers.

I agree that the people packs should start including new moulds for animals as there are so many that still don't exist in non-Friends/minifigure/'system' scale. The first "Fun at the..." people pack got people excited due to the new wheelchair and baby mould. However, they are quite expensive and so any set like that needs something a bit different to encourage people to buy it. I love the farm set idea, although I would prefer zoo animals. This could also include the ostrich and camel moulds in the Prince of Persia, as well as the CMF penguin, but to see a new animal or two appear each year in these sets would be brilliant and would allow Lego to catch up with Playmobil in respect of variation of animals.

Regarding City's next eventual "submarine" subtheme, while I'd like for it to ideally have an archaeological premise next time around, perhaps another approach could center around exploration of Deep-Sea Hydrothermal Vents, thereby fusing 2015's Deep Sea Explorers subtheme with 2016's Volcano Explorers subtheme in a way. Plus, such an approach could also incorporate study and observation of bizzare deep-sea marine lifeforms like Anglerfish (thereby potentially introducing new molds for such)! :shrug_oh_well:

On 8/16/2018 at 2:24 AM, jonwil said:

Its probably been mentioned before but I would love to see an "Outback Explorers" theme set in the Australian Outback. In terms of existing animals, use the crocodile, spider, snake, camel, goat and cow (all of which can be found in the outback). In terms of new animals, you could introduce a sheep, a kangaroo, an emu and maybe a koala or wombat or platypus. Maybe find a dog mold you could use for a dingo or a wild dog.

Bonus points if there is a non-racist culturally sensitive way to get Aborigines into the sets (with the boomerang piece in brown please)

As for the minifigs, introduce a new mold for an Aussie bushman hat (different from the Fedora, the various cowboy hats and the Johnny Thunder type hat). Torsos could feature Aussie bushman type oilskin coats with lots of beards on the heads.

Sets would include off-road 4x4 vehicles including at least one proper Ute along with lots of sand and rock type pieces. Old ruined stone or wooden buildings with tin roofs and verandahs over the edge. Must include a water pump style windmill (a feature of stations and properties all across the outback). You could also include the small nimble helicopters used all across the outback for all sorts of jobs (we all know TLG likes to put helicopters in their sets :)

One set could be "Outback Medivac" or something and feature an airplane similar in nature to the ones the Royal Flying Doctor Service use (the closest they have come to what I am suggesting is a older medical airplane that was released only as an in-flight purchase and is therefore hard to get)

I myself would be totally game for this, not to mention that such a subtheme could be quite possible given that Lego has touched upon it before back in 1997! :thumbup: :smug:

Brickset - Town: Outback

First Aid At ATV Accident (8-10 Euros)

- paramedic motorcycle in white-red with blue light in the back and two clips to hold accessory

- black ATV

- brickbuilt tree with falling-down-a-branch function

- accessory: grey suitcase, walkie-talkie and plaster

- minifigs: paramedic with motorcycle helmet and ATV driver with motorcycle helmet

i always thought a prehistoric theme would be good idea but that is unlikely due to the Jurassic world/park sets and they keep selling well

i always thought they would try a zoo theme as it would be great way to get new animal moulds

I cant believe we havent gotten a school subtheme so far. You know, classroom, school bus, playground, etc...

I guess it has to be that it doesnt test well with kids because there is no way they havent thought of it

16 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I cant believe we havent gotten a school subtheme so far. You know, classroom, school bus, playground, etc...

I guess it has to be that it doesnt test well with kids because there is no way they havent thought of it

They have done a few LEGO schools in other themes not too long ago, just not in City / Minifig sets. 

I'll leave out the Duplo School/Bus sets, Fabuland/Homemaker Schoolrooms, Elves/Harry Potter Schools of Dragons/Magic.

The upcoming Hidden Side School + Bus sets are the closest to a School theme for minifigs so far.

41005-1.jpg?201302101123 41005-1: Heartlake High (Friends - 2013)

41134-1.jpg?201605210924 41134-1: Heartlake Performance School (Friends - 2016)

41232-1.jpg?20161018014641232-1: Super Hero High School (DC Super Hero Girls - 2017)

Edited by TeriXeri

18 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I think one of the main issues with a "school" set is that it's TOO relatable for kids—unless you introduce a twist, as with the Hidden Side sets, it lacks the aspirational quality of subjects like police departments, fire departments, construction crews, or other sorts of adult careers that kids don't get to experience firsthand.

That also probably explains why we DO see school buses and things in the Duplo theme. For that age range, taking the bus to school is still an aspirational aspect of being a "big kid" rather than an ordinary, familiar routine.

Friends has also featured school sets, but in that case I think it benefits from being more character driven, with school functioning as not just an educational space but also a sort of social setting for the characters. By contrast, City rarely features named characters and the ones it does include tend to be adults like firefighters or police officers, not established child characters who kids will recognize from other sets and media.

Since most LEGO-themes are based on multi-year-cycle, I hope we will see a new:

- harbour theme with coast-guard
- farm-theme
- train station
- deep-sea explore theme

I want something new, not something we have seen in the past like deep sea divers or harbor/coast guard (although a Farm theme would be nice, we haven't seen that in ages and they could introduce more farm animals such as a sheep or a new/re-issued goat)

An "Outback Explorers" theme would be a great fit for City (if they can go to the jungle, the arctic and outer space, why not the Australian Outback?). Kangaroos. Emus. Camels. A Ute.

On 6/2/2019 at 11:50 AM, *thomas* said:

Since most LEGO-themes are based on multi-year-cycle, I hope we will see a new:

- harbour theme with coast-guard
- farm-theme
- train station
- deep-sea explore theme

Out of those, Farm (2009/2010) and actual Cargo Harbour (2007) hasn't been seen recently.  

Coast guard has been seen in frequent intervals (2008 , 2013, 2017, so probably will show up around 2021)

2019 does have the Farm Harvester transport and Diving Yacht (and the City magazine so far had a Mini-Tractor/Lawnmower and Diver+Crab+Seaweed this year) hopefully that means something in regard to 2020, which would mean 10 years since Farm, and 5 years since Deep Sea.

Personally I'd love a Farm subtheme + people pack.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 5/30/2019 at 11:28 PM, Robert8 said:

A school would be a great addition to the City theme. A Supermarket is overdue, and a new post office.

I'd also love to see a zoo, or safari park theme.

On 7/6/2018 at 8:52 AM, Roebuck said:

That would off course be a dream theme for me :grin_wub: If they make it a modern zoo where every enclosure has a biotope that fits the animals inside they would be very different from each other also..

Just posted i'd love to see a zoo, then saw that it's already fully discussed! Doh!

Love your thinking on the enclosures - also makes it very easy to make as individual sets that combine to make a big zoo set as a whole.

This year City sees some new developments which might bear on future City subthemes and sets:

The flagship (and so even the biggest) set in the Fire theme isn't the fire station itself anymore, but a fire fighting scenario with a big burning building and a construction site.

===> I can imagine that in further years there will be subthemes where the station is smaller but the flagship set will be an action based scenario. Let's say the 2020 Police theme could consists of a smaller police station and the flagship set could be a big museum break-in or big prison break-out.

This year it's the first time after some years that the "classic" 10 Euros Starter Packs disappeared. Instead the summer wave sees two minifigures packs - one belonging to a City subtheme (Space) and one not belonging to a City subtheme (Fairground).

===> It could be that 2020 and later will see two minifigures packs (one belonging to a City subtheme and one not belonging OR two belonging to City subthemes) in summer. It might even be that we're getting a minifigures pack in the winter wave (e. g. a police minifigures pack with different kind of police minifigures, some crooks, smaller police vehicles and accessory).

The 80 Euros stand-alone summer set (2017: cargo terminal, 2018: hospital, 2019: ski ressort) isn't based outside any current subtheme anymore, but is a downsized subtheme on its own (everything absolutely necessary when thinking about winter rescue is included in the ski ressort set).

===> There may be a "whole-subtheme-but-only-one-single-set"-set in further years, too. I esp. can think of subthemes which were neglected in the last decade - such as farm or harbor. But I can think of combinations, too (e. g. CG and beach).

What do you think?

Now that minifig horses are being made again for Harry Potter, hoping for some City or Castle (or Xtra) set with horses next year.

I know horseriding is a recurring theme in Friends (with a different type of horse), even this year, but that doesn't take away that they still fit in the minifig world as well.

Even if it's in something like Mounted Police in a smaller set (2 horses, trailer, police SUV in similar style to the current 2019 Fire ones) I'd be happy.

Edited by TeriXeri

15 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Now that minifig horses are being made again for Harry Potter, hoping for some City or Castle (or Xtra) set with horses next year.

I know horseriding is a recurring theme in Friends (with a different type of horse), even this year, but that doesn't take away that they still fit in the minifig world as well.

Even if it's in something like Mounted Police in a smaller set (2 horses, trailer, police SUV in similar style to the current 2019 Fire ones) I'd be happy.

A mounted police officer could be a neat change of pace. I could definitely see one of those added for variety, especially if Lego ever did a "people pack" for police like the Space people pack this year, where having many different types of police officers would be important.