Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

Space theme return with highlights being a classic UFO, rerelease the s6 alien, and more cows! :wub: I would love to see a set like this:

Related image

34 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

Space theme return with highlights being a classic UFO, rerelease the s6 alien, and more cows! :wub: I would love to see a set like this:

As a Space theme, sure, but I think it's too much of a stretch to ever expect something like that for the City theme. If you'd like to discuss your dreams for Space themes that lean more towards heavier science fiction, there's this topic:

Ok this might not sound as exiting as some of the space ideas being discussed, but I would really like to see some new farming sets in the future. There haven't been any for a while and there are lots of possibilities for sets with things like tractors, combine harvesters, animal transporters etc.

2 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Ok this might not sound as exiting as some of the space ideas being discussed, but I would really like to see some new farming sets in the future. There haven't been any for a while and there are lots of possibilities for sets with things like tractors, combine harvesters, animal transporters etc.

I'm surprised we haven't seen any since that subtheme's first appearance, as it will have been ten years since then come 2019. Well, perhaps then we may see its return? :shrug_confused:

My guess is that the marketing and focus group testing and retailer feedback and etc suggests that certain themes (farm, circus, zoo, safari for example) work better as Duplo sets than as regular LEGO sets.

What I observed suggests the last farm sets weren't the most popular things out there.

The new logging vehicle 60181 almost looks like a farm tractor in disguise. I reckon lego could do some really good tractors and farm vehicles so maybe the theme will return at some point.

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I'm surprised we haven't seen any since that subtheme's first appearance, as it will have been ten years since then come 2019. Well, perhaps then we may see its return? :shrug_confused:

I didn't realise it was that long since the last farm sub theme. :look:

Does anyone think that a post-disaster search and rescue subtheme would be too dire of a subject for the City theme? I was playing around with an idea for a line of sets focused upon the recovery of survivors of a large scale earthquake, but after thinking about it for awhile... :look:

I don't know, perhaps there's some way to make such a premise work? After all, the Coast Guard subtheme will have civilians being rescued from dire straits all the time.

6 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I didn't realise it was that long since the last farm sub theme. 

Perhaps @jonwil may have a point regarding subthemes like that, hence its absence from City's lineup all this time. 

Edited by Digger of Bricks

On 3/24/2018 at 3:35 AM, Bricked1980 said:

The new logging vehicle 60181 almost looks like a farm tractor in disguise. I reckon lego could do some really good tractors and farm vehicles so maybe the theme will return at some point.

I didn't realise it was that long since the last farm sub theme. :look:

That was my first thought when that set came out too. I hope it does come back especially after a decade. Arctic just came out again for the second time in a 5 year period. I'm new to Lego so theres a lot I don't know but are the decisions to re release themes entirely based on popularity and sales? Harry Potter coming back is a good example of that but its its own theme is it because it falls under a sub theme?

I would probably be most excited about the potential new animal molds. I'd love to get some of the old ones off brick link but they are just too darn expensive.

On 6.6.2018 at 11:07 PM, cdnlegofan said:

That was my first thought when that set came out too. I hope it does come back especially after a decade. Arctic just came out again for the second time in a 5 year period. I'm new to Lego so theres a lot I don't know but are the decisions to re release themes entirely based on popularity and sales? Harry Potter coming back is a good example of that but its its own theme is it because it falls under a sub theme?

I would probably be most excited about the potential new animal molds. I'd love to get some of the old ones off brick link but they are just too darn expensive.

Well I assume the last wave of Arctic sold well since it is back so soon. HP is the most asked for theme that are not in production in Lego shops around the world, so that helped a lot I guess, and there is also the fantastic beast movies being made.. The farm sub-theme was great and I hope for a comeback next year as well, the more animals moulds the merrier :grin:

Anyone have any idea on how the 2015 City Space sets sold? I am torn on paying secondary prices for either 60080 or 6339 (1995) but would probably wait if I had a decent feeling that some new sets were going to be released in the next couple of years. 

It has been quite a while since the last Air-Port (we have one in this year Junior-City line). Another line that we have not seen for some years are the ships. 

Can someone please remind me an average life circle in the City line? Is it 3 years? 

Next year ( 2019 ) we should have a new Fire and Police Station + current : Arctic, Hospital, Town Set. What about the Coast Guard new sets? Jungle is to go? 

Regards

Just now, AOW said:

It has been quite a while since the last Air-Port (we have one in this year Junior-City line). Another line that we have not seen for some years are the ships. 

Can someone please remind me an average life circle in the City line? Is it 3 years? 

Next year ( 2019 ) we should have a new Fire and Police Station + current : Arctic, Hospital, Town Set. What about the Coast Guard new sets? Jungle is to go? 

Regards

Sorry to say but doubt we'll get a new city airport next year. The last one only came out in 2016.

Also the lifecycle for new fire and police stations tends to be every 4 years so that probably rules out new versions of these for next year too. We'll probably get some sort of spin off police theme similar to this year's mountain police or the 2016 sea police sets but I doubt there will be a big main inner city police station as the last one is only 18 months old.

14 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Sorry to say but doubt we'll get a new city airport next year. The last one only came out in 2016.

Also the lifecycle for new fire and police stations tends to be every 4 years so that probably rules out new versions of these for next year too. We'll probably get some sort of spin off police theme similar to this year's mountain police or the 2016 sea police sets but I doubt there will be a big main inner city police station as the last one is only 18 months old.

Thank you for reply and the informations you gave. I forgot about the 60104 as I was more focused at this hour on the Cargo one 60022 (that one is form 2013) 

Harbor theme in recent years has only: 4 sets (60085, 60114, 60119, 60147)

Construction? 

Any other? 

Regards

26 minutes ago, AOW said:

Thank you for reply and the informations you gave. I forgot about the 60104 as I was more focused at this hour on the Cargo one 60022 (that one is form 2013) 

Harbor theme in recent years has only: 4 sets (60085, 60114, 60119, 60147)

Construction? 

Any other? 

Regards

I would love to see a harbor theme. We have the current coast guard sets but a true harbor sub theme with cargo ships etc would be great.

I suspect we are about due for a new space sub theme and maybe another run of deep sea exploration sets.

Another topic I would love to see brought back is a farming, agriculture theme with tractors, farms and farm animals. It's many years since they've done anything like that.

And yes, I'd love to see some more construction vehicles too. 

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I suspect we are about due for a new space sub theme and maybe another run of deep sea exploration sets.

Besides my already stated wishes for the next Space subtheme to head to the moon (or Mars), I'd think it would be cool for the next submarine subtheme to explore archaeological ruins instead of simply shipwrecks. I'm not talking about anything too far out there such as Atlantis, only that it could draw inspiration after the exploration of sunken ruins like that of Egypt's Alexandria. :shrug_oh_well:

7 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Another topic I would love to see brought back is a farming, agriculture theme with tractors, farms and farm animals. It's many years since they've done anything like that. 

+1

That was a great theme I hope to see again hopefully next year! Maybe it is because of "friends"  that the farm have not returned to the city, they have a lot of horse sets and some close to farm as well :sceptic:

• 2014 had arctic
  • 2015 had deep sea
  • 2016 had volcano
  • 2017 had jungle

I was surprised that we got a arctic theme already again this year :wacko: The 2018 wave of arctic definitely brings some interesting new moulds to the table, but I prefer the 2014 wave. If we get a deep sea theme in 2019 we are probably caught up in a loop on the city explorer subtheme.. If that is the case I at least hope for some new animal moulds.. Volcano was useless to me so I hope they change that with safari, dessert, forest etc.. The other 3 subthemes have given us some great new moulds and a few nice sets so I am fine with having them in the loop, but I would prefer more than 4 in the rotation..

How about a zoo sub theme? They certainly have a lot of animal molds already!  I hope LEGO would make a LEGO giraffe ?!  :sweet:

41 minutes ago, SFmuscle73 said:

How about a zoo sub theme? They certainly have a lot of animal molds already!  I hope LEGO would make a LEGO giraffe ?!  :sweet:

That would be awesome, but I wouldn't count on LEGO doing a Zoo anytime soon. We did have Zoos in DUPLO already, but it seems LEGO thinks that bigger kids don't like animals anymore ...

1 hour ago, SFmuscle73 said:

That would off course be a dream theme for me :grin_wub: If they make it a modern zoo where every enclosure has a biotope that fits the animals inside they would be very different from each other also..

4 hours ago, SFmuscle73 said:

How about a zoo sub theme? They certainly have a lot of animal molds already!

If anything, I could see Lego releasing a single US $100+ City Zoo playset in lieu of a subtheme, something like the various flagship sets for the City theme we've seen released for this year, 2015, and 2013. Additionally, something like a City Zoo utility truck could be released the same year as a companion Great Vehicle set.

Just now, Robert8 said:

Maybe something like an Animal Shelter theme

Well, given the nature of the two themes, I think we'd end up seeing something like that come to Friends before City.

Realistically the themes list for 2019 imo will be:

- regular fire theme: fire station, fire ship, fire helicopter, ladder truck, fire truck, fire quad and fire starter set

- specialized police theme: either water police or special police forces (I can not think of any other subtheme which hasn't been done in the last years)

- Great Vehicles: 6-8 different sized sets / vehicles

- space theme

- deep sea exploration theme

- one big set: harbor or farm

- people pack: either fun at the station or at the harbor or in the inner city (I can't imagine any other)

- exclusive set: train station

Nevertheless I hope that there will not be any space as well as deap sea exploration sets: Firstly we got them already four years ago. And secondly there are so many other sets and whole themes needed which haven't been done for many more years or even not at all.

Well, there were rumors of a whale mold coming this year

Maybe the reason the set was cancelled is because a deep sea theme is coming in 2019, as Klaus says

Could we see the whale mould there?

41 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Could we see the whale mould there?

Not impossible at all :classic:

The manta ray is also one of the few animals that have not gotten a updated mould yet so it may show up as well..

Biology focus sets would be excellent, but it is probably treasure hunting as usual :hmpf: