Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

2 hours ago, Fugazi said:

I changed your topic title, you made it sound like if you knew something. :laugh:

Yes, I was sure that these are the next research-based subthemes for LEGO City.

Isn't there a generic wish list topic?

I have a few ideas for some new city sub-themes, maybe mentioned on this thread before.

A small archaeological sub-theme centered around a medieval castle dig site outside of the theme's city limits would be great addition to City's exploration trend. This can incorporate the traditional castle theme into City as a homage to Castle.  

Next, a film crew sub-theme composed of an urban action movie shoot could be a great throwback to 2000's Lego Studios, with sets depicting camera rig cars filming car chase scenes for instance.

Also, what about a alpine search an rescue theme? Sort of as a non-coastal variant of the frequent coast guard theme.

Lastly, a moon base space theme could work, as a variant of the normal City space theme and to make up for the lack of a traditional one. Besides, Lego City's recent exploration themes have traveled waaaaay outside the city limits.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

I really like your ideas, kungfulegolover! :thumbup:

Nevertheless and although TLG has been releasing some great research sets in the past years, I must admit that I'm (after the new Jungle theme) now saturated with these kinds of sets (although I do not approximately own all themes and sets of this kind).

If TLG keeps its four-years-rhythm of the Trains subtheme, then there'll be a new Trains theme next year. Plus some sort of construction site theme in January is imo very likely, too. Consequently there will be place for maximum two, rather only one additional subtheme(s). And I do hope that it'll be something not research based, but a civilian theme such as a new Farm, TV / Studios, Harbor (which is regrettably extremely unlikely in the same year as Trains) or Forest theme!

On 1.5.2017 at 9:32 AM, Jim said:

Isn't there a generic wish list topic?

Yes, indeed:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9448&hl=ideas&st=0

Can you please merge them, Jim?

As a successor to 2017's jungle subtheme following City's exploration trend, a Serengeti Safari subtheme would be great, featuring many safari vehicle and appropriate new animal mold possibilities.

These new animal molds (for instance, lions, elephants, gazelle, etc.) could be also be used then in a large special edition city zoo set and/or Fun at the Zoo people pack, the latter even acting as an expansion set to the city zoo set.

Some sort of archeology/paleontology theme.  A dinosaur bone quarry set.  An ancient ruins excavation set.  A set featuring a vehicle that transports finds from digs.  A research building.  A museum that features a dinosaur skeleton and a model of a dinosaur (i.e. a dinosaur maxifig).  A theme like this may not be super exciting to kids in terms of vehicles, but if you can work in dinosaurs, it has a chance at success.

Basic City life sets: Eateries, libraries, schools, stores, homes, post office, banks, car wash, town halls/city offices, etc.

Delivery service line: cargo planes, trains, trucks, boats, sorting buildings, shipping outlets, call centers, etc.  So much stuff is sold and shipped via the internet, including Lego.  Model something after UPS/FedEx/DHL/USPS systems of package handling.  Make the packages Lego sets as seen in set 3221.

Having bought 6380 lately, I feel there is a place for a new Hospital. Last one has happened in 2012, so it's been 5 years without a new one. And please, this time no stupid helicopter :laugh: Better include 1 smaller and 1 bigger car (a Doctor's car and an Ambulance).

I would like to see Studios returning. Tje first time they reused former themes in the sets, like Adventurers. 

So, this time they can reuse Pharaoh's Quest, Atlantis, Alien Conquest (the alien head molds could easily work as costumes since they need a regular head inside) and of course Monster Figthers to pay homage to the original Studios theme

Some of the sets ideas I'd like to see:

-Zombie Apocalypse

-Lord Vampyre's Crypt

-Alien Abduction

-Pharaoh's chamber

-Underwater scene (Atlantis)

I'd like to see a waste management sub-theme with street sweepers, garbage trucks, skip trucks, liquid waste vacuum truck or hazardous waste trucks, a road roller trash compactor (pieces made for the Joker Steam Roller set) and a large recycling centre. So many sub-themes are  in remote locations, lets keep City in the City!

How about an international search and rescue subtheme, revolving around a response team conducting missions to rescue survivors of large scale catastrophes such as tsunamis, earthquakes, avalanches, volcanic eruptions, etc.? Lego did have something like this for Town in 1998 named Res-Q, though it was a rather small scaled theme.

Though I know the nature of such a subtheme sounds dire, Lego could perhaps find a way to lighten such elements, incorporating a more positive spin on it.

On 7/11/2017 at 4:51 AM, Robert8 said:

I would like to see Studios returning. Tje first time they reused former themes in the sets, like Adventurers. 

So, this time they can reuse Pharaoh's Quest, Atlantis, Alien Conquest (the alien head molds could easily work as costumes since they need a regular head inside) and of course Monster Figthers to pay homage to the original Studios theme

Some of the sets ideas I'd like to see:

-Zombie Apocalypse

-Lord Vampyre's Crypt

-Alien Abduction

-Pharaoh's chamber

-Underwater scene (Atlantis)

I have an idea for a Studios subtheme set I would like to add.

Movie Studio Starter Set (a.k.a. Monster Vs. Battle Mech)

Would be priced around the $10-$12 range, feature four minifigures and various brick built studio props and camera/audio rigs. Minifigures would include a camera operator, a sound technician, an actor in a Dark Azure/Dark Bluish Grey S9 Battle Mech suit with Bright Orange visor head print, and an actor wearing an Earth Green recolor of the S5 Lizard Man CMF. Brick built props and equipment would include several varying four to five brick high skyscrapers, a green screen, a camera on tracks, and a microphone on a pole.

With al the new animal molds and some old ones that haven't been seen in a while, I think it's time for a city Zoo. It hasn't been done before as far as I know.

And more buildings with less primary colours.

15 hours ago, Cobb said:

With al the new animal molds and some old ones that haven't been seen in a while, I think it's time for a city Zoo. It hasn't been done before as far as I know.

Only in Duplo, and I am afraid if anything it will pop up in friends next, but I cross my fingers for city zoo :wub:

Does anyone think an espionage/secret agent theme could work for City? Naturally, such a subtheme would lack the Sci-Fi element seen in standalone espionage action themes (Alpha Team, Agents, Ultra Agents), but it would also have to exclude firearms too.

Here is an idea which would imo go perfectly with the Mountain Police sets as well as mainly the Fun in the Mountains sets:

Mountain Sports Shop

corner house in a similar style to the bikeshop in the city place from 2013, but with a climbing wall on one side

first floor: entrance, cashpoint, clothing and equipment for hiking

second floor: clothing and equipment for downhill biking, wildwater sports and camping

6 studs wide grey-blue pickup with car doors and with loading area with tailboard for transporting stuff for hiking / downhilling / wildwater sports / camping

accessory: see above

minifigs: female shop owner, male customer and boy

What do you think?

On 15.3.2018 at 4:25 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Does anyone think an espionage/secret agent theme could work for City? Naturally, such a subtheme would lack the Sci-Fi element seen in standalone espionage action themes (Alpha Team, Agents, Ultra Agents), but it would also have to exclude firearms too.

Because of the two reasons (only real existing things in City and no violence (meaning arms) in City) you mentioned, I fear it's excluded that there'll ever be one.

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I think LEGO should make the next "fun in" set "fun in the snow". People on skis, ice skates and snowboards. Small snowmobile. Husky dog. Ice Hockey being played. A bunch of new winter clothes (jackets etc). Maybe a small stand doing hot drinks. Oh and have at least one of the people in the set wearing a ski mask to keep out the cold (I am surprised we haven't seen a balaclava in a City set before, either as head protection for the likes of race car drivers or as a disguise for the many criminals that inhabit LEGO City)

Edited by jonwil

5 hours ago, jonwil said:

I think LEGO should make the next "fun in" set "fun in the snow". People on skis, ice skates and snowboards. Small snowmobile. Husky dog. Ice Hockey being played. A bunch of new winter clothes (jackets etc). Maybe a small stand doing hot drinks. Oh and have at least one of the people in the set wearing a ski mask to keep out the cold (I am surprised we haven't seen a balaclava in a City set before, either as head protection for the likes of race car drivers or as a disguise for the many criminals that inhabit LEGO City)

If they do make such a people pack, they really should make a Ski Lodge playset to complement it! :classic:

A "Fun in the Pub" would be a great way to get more unique faces :wink: or maybe more residential buildings instead of armies of helicopters/airplanes. 

Does anyone think that the next Space subtheme could travel outside of Earth's orbit? If the latest Arctic Exploration subtheme can incorporate Mammoths, Tigers, and Cavemen into its narrative, why can't we have a Mars Exploration line for City? Of course, it doesn't (and shouldn't) have to have rayguns and aliens, just good old fashion, plausible extraterrestrial exploration! Take this recent Mega Construx set as a example of what sort of sets such a line could be comprised of:

Mega Construx - ProBuilder | Space Rover Expedition

052024da-9526-40d0-a05f-582ac97273aa_1.3

4 hours ago, Capparezza said:

Reminds me a lot of Mars Mission...So, we did have something like this already. Maybe time for a re-hash? Who knows.

Obviously, it would lack rayguns, aliens, and conflict being a City subtheme. Also, while something like this could be done as a standalone theme, Star Wars just doesn't seem like it's going to make room for another theme set in space. As a subtheme under another preexisting line though, it'd be seemingly less hostile to Star Wars.

Besides, there's been more of a renewed interest in both STEM and space exploration in general, so I think a out-of-orbit Space subtheme for City could sell well currently. Also, it doesn't have to go all the way out to Mars, why not simply next door to the Moon? :classic:

11 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

As a subtheme under another preexisting line though, it'd be seemingly less hostile to Star Wars.

Hopefully. I'm fed up with all those "Blasters, Shooters" and the likes...

Well, we had the small City space-base subtheme back in 2015 (really that long ago?), with 60080 and it's siblings, so why not go to the next stage and have them all landing on, say, the moon as @Digger of Bricks mentioned or something? It'd be nice to see more than just the earth-based elements of space. Not that children aren't imagining these scenarios already that is, if they own those sets.

It would definitely be nice to have a more realistic space exploration without the weaponry and conflict these themes always seem to be delivered with, as the consensus seems. Seeing as this is what the city exploration themes have done so far, why not extend it off earth a little?

Edited by ColletArrow

4 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

Well, we had the small City space-base subtheme back in 2015 (really that long ago?), with 60080 and it's siblings, so why not go to the next stage and have them all landing on, say, the moon as @Digger of Bricks mentioned or something? It'd be nice to see more than just the earth-based elements of space. Not that children aren't imagining these scenarios already that is, if they own those sets.

It would definitely be nice to have a more realistic space exploration without the weaponry and conflict these themes always seem to be delivered with, as the consensus seems. Seeing as this is what the city exploration themes have done so far, why not extend it off earth a little?

Exactly! :thumbup: :sweet:

Besides, such a line would be a total throwback to Classic Space sets of old, which look pretty tame in comparison to the many Space themes that came after it in terms of conflict. Nowadays, I think a spiritual revival of Classic Space would make itself at home quite nicely amongst City's other subthemes, and would be most welcomed by fans.

af2ce01c11a636075d50f1ceb162bac3.jpg

When you put it that way, it does sound like a futuristic space subtheme that stretches the City brand the way the futuristic Arctic subtheme stretches that brand would be an appropriate spiritual successor to Classic Space.  Although the last Space subtheme, Galaxy Squad, had several design nods to Classic Space (suits of different colors, modular builds, some white and blue spacecraft), it never felt like an appropriate successor to CS to me because it was too warlike.

25 minutes ago, icm said:

When you put it that way, it does sound like a futuristic space subtheme that stretches the City brand the way the futuristic Arctic subtheme stretches that brand would be an appropriate spiritual successor to Classic Space.  Although the last Space subtheme, Galaxy Squad, had several design nods to Classic Space (suits of different colors, modular builds, some white and blue spacecraft), it never felt like an appropriate successor to CS to me because it was too warlike.

Precisely, and when you look at the types of sets seen in most recent exploration based subthemes, many of the vehicles, playsets, and situations portrayed in the Classic Space line would seem to fit quite nicely into the City theme as we know it now. Payload Rockets, Moon Rovers, Mobile Laboratories, Transport Shuttles, Lunar Bases with Greenhouses, Communication Stations... :classic:

Also, considering that there have been four years between City's 2014 Arctic subtheme and the latest one coming this summer, Space just may be the next exploration subtheme in line for summer 2019, as it will also have been four years since City's last Space subtheme released back in 2015!