Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

On 16 May 2007 at 5:29 PM, UniqueBuilder said:

To follow up your harbor theme:

A fish market. With minifig-scaled crabs, fish, shrimp. and shells.. *wub*

Minifigs: 2 fish salesmen (a captain style one and one with the green overall from 7994) and a woman.

This would be awesome! I'd like to see some new harbour themed animal moulds such as a pufferfish, jellyfish and a huge sea bass mould. All this (alongside loads of basic fish moulds) should be layed out on a counter of a market stand with a stylish, pointy roof to make an epic set that would fit into any lego harbour. 

NICE IDEA!

On 24 October 2016 at 5:20 PM, sebitsena said:

More sets like City Square and Service Station, but less expensive and with less stickers ;)

And it's been a while we don't get a bus (Town Square and City Corner in 2013). So Lego, please come on with a bendy-bus !

And a new "Fun at the anything-you-want" ^^

I agree that we need more sets like city square and service station.

Thanks for commenting on the bendy bus- I just think it would be so cool! ?

I would like a fun at the beach or a fun in the forest.

The lego fan.

On 21 May 2007 at 11:41 AM, Klaus-Dieter said:

Hey, mates, where are you?!

Yes, I would like camping, too. What about a caming ground?

Camping Ground

a camping ground with big house including toilets, showers, gate, little restaurant with camping shop and terrace

including some tents, a mobile home, suitcases, glases, cups and camping stuff

minifigs: camping ground owner, shop owner, waiter, camping people

This would be awesome!

I'd love to see lego tents and lots of little never seen before experiments make up a £60 ish camp site. This could become a new lego sub theme!

On 7 July 2015 at 4:39 AM, BrickJagger said:

Zoo. Only decent idea that they've surprisingly never experimented with. :shrug_confused:

Yes please- we realy need a zoo!

The lego fan

We really do need some bridges - there could and should be

• rope bridge
  • pedestrian bridge
  • Venetian style bridge
  • modern car bridge
  • train bridge
  • ancient stone bridge with old lanterns and a statue in the middle
  • luxury car bridge like some of the old bridges in the big eastern cities of the US (like in NY)

The particular bridge could even be a set on its own (which is rather unlikely) or it could be a part of a bigger set. In any case there could and should be minifigs, bicycles, cars, boats and accessory included.

What do you think?

First, I hope sets like Fun in the Park become more of a thing. It doesn't have to the same size, but, that sey had a lot of useful and practical stuff in it. They could try other stuff that's similar, like perhaps a city street area? Or a beach?

After that, since Police sets are a guarantee, I feel like there should be a police SUV that can hold two minifigures like you usually see with the standard Lego SUVs in City these days. Oh yeah, a police tow truck. They need something to haul 6 wide vehicles away :P

Other ideas:

American-style ambulance: I really want to see one of these, to be honest. 

Brush truck: Could be a regular pick-up build that has more to it for firefighter duty.

A classic car: Thinking something like 1950s era American sedan or something European from the era. 

A mini-mart/small grocery store: I know Lego city buildings usually won't have the same level of build as other buildings from something like Creator, but, at least it could be expanded upon by the fans into something more. I'd much rather see more buildings from Creator but I don't mind getting one via City either.

Animal control truck: Might as well have something like this since we got the Animal Control Officer in CMF Series 15. Plus, would be really cool.

Paramedic motorcycle: We really need a new Hospital theme. 

Lawncare Truck/Trailer: Another idea that would be neat to see.

Handyman's Truck: Again, going with the truck theme. I know Lego does a lot of trucks and larger vehicles+trailer, but, there's still a lot they could do with that alone.

City Bus: We've gotten these before, but, I think one being its own set would suffice.

Ice Cream Truck: We got one via The Lego Movie theme in 2014. Why not one for City?

Luxury Yacht: Rich minifigures need to have fun too :P

19 hours ago, TheLegoPerson9 said:

Paramedic motorcycle: We really need a new Hospital theme.

I absolutely second that, The LegoPerson9! A paramedic motorcycle as well as a new whole Hospital theme in general would be really cool! :thumbup:

But with CG (which is a medical theme) this year, I regrettably don't see any Hospital theme before 2018 or even 2019.

On 1/5/2017 at 3:47 PM, Klaus-Dieter said:

I absolutely second that, The LegoPerson9! A paramedic motorcycle as well as a new whole Hospital theme in general would be really cool! :thumbup:

But with CG (which is a medical theme) this year, I regrettably don't see any Hospital theme before 2018 or even 2019.

I don't mind Coast Guard either. Maybe we'll get a Coast Guard Ambulance of some kind? Would be neat.

More ideas....

Public library

Fossil/dinosaur museum

Skyscraper

Triple storey car park

Hospital (I know we've had some in the past, but not enough)

Tram stop

City monorail

Zoo

Heavy goods lorry

Concert hall

Farm

Stretch limousine 

Ice cream van

Garden centre

Market

Chinese restraunt

Climbing wall/adventure park

The lego fan

Edited by The lego fan

Since Lego loves to do truck+trailer sets, I thought this would be neat:

A 6-wide SUV that looks like a luxury SUV with an enclosed car hauler and a 4-stud wide classic car. By classic car, I mean 1920s-1930s era car that the trailer would be hauling. Think of something like Dusenberg, Packard, or Hispano-Suiza. That kind of car. 

Edited by TheLegoPerson9

Lego city themes are usually very American in appearance, which is increasingly out of place in the global market. I suggest that Lego should have a general global city range with maybe 6-8 different cultures represented. The modular sets already took a step in this direction with the Parisian Restaurant.

Each culture would get a a typical street scene vignette with 2/3 mini-figures and a small/medium modular building set. Essentially you'd end up with one decent sized minifig-scale building of that culture and a small vignette of their street scene.

• Middle East - eg. a Moroccan setting with camels, spices, souks and courtyards
  • East Asia - eg. Chinese or Japanese temples, shrines, lanterns and the kind of parades and night markets during the lunar new year 
  • India - eg. Hindu style temples and women in saris
  • Africa - eg. Big game, mud huts, women in colorful dress carrying things on their heads
  • Latin America - eg. Fiesta or maybe a Mardi Gras parade with the kind of colorful Latin-American colonial buildings
  • Pacific Islands - eg. Impressive wooden houses with boat-shaped roofs, people in grass skirts and on outrigger canoes in tropical splendor

Then you have European countries worthy of their own style of building and scene - Italy, Russia, Spain, Denmark itself... maybe that can be the next iteration of these sets.

I'm a little annoyed that the only recent representations of Asian ambiance, for example, are with the Ninjago set. So too the Middle East and Egypt or licensed sets. If Lego can accommodate seasonal sets then I can't see why this isn't possible.

@monkles Seems like a good idea. However, I would ditch the "City" declaration. All over the world the big cities more and more look like one another. I guess it's got something to do with the size of a city. Or maybe it's just that modern house design that looks similar everywhere? :laugh: Another thing is that it would interfere with Legos already standing "City" lineup. What about "Global Village"?

Edited by Capparezza

2 hours ago, Capparezza said:

@monkles Seems like a good idea. However, I would ditch the "City" declaration. All over the world the big cities more and more look like one another. I guess it's got something to do with the size of a city. Or maybe it's just that modern house design that looks similar everywhere? :laugh: Another thing is that it would interfere with Legos already standing "City" lineup. What about "Global Village"?

Global village sounds good. Cities do look the same to an extent (police cars, helicopters, firetrucks and utilities look the same everywhere) but buildings and street scenes can look very different. I feel there is room for generic cultural buildings and scenes without the addition of licensed minifigs. The love for the modular range is in a large part because they look like distinct styles of building (PR = Parisian, PS = East Coast row houses, DO = Midwestern main street, GG = Victorian era). I feel there is room for a kind of global modular that can also augment other sets; Middle Eastern building fits in Egyptian theme, East Asian with Ninjago, Pacific Island with pirates etc.

The other benefit is it opens a broader market because a child in China may want a distinctly Chinese style of build, a child in Brazil may want a Latin American style etc.; Lego also accommodated this specificity with the research lab for girls who wanted a scientific set targeted at them.

18 hours ago, monkles said:

Lego city themes are usually very American in appearance, which is increasingly out of place in the global market. I suggest that Lego should have a general global city range with maybe 6-8 different cultures represented. The modular sets already took a step in this direction with the Parisian Restaurant.

Each culture would get a a typical street scene vignette with 2/3 mini-figures and a small/medium modular building set. Essentially you'd end up with one decent sized minifig-scale building of that culture and a small vignette of their street scene.

• Middle East - eg. a Moroccan setting with camels, spices, souks and courtyards
  • East Asia - eg. Chinese or Japanese temples, shrines, lanterns and the kind of parades and night markets during the lunar new year 
  • India - eg. Hindu style temples and women in saris
  • Africa - eg. Big game, mud huts, women in colorful dress carrying things on their heads
  • Latin America - eg. Fiesta or maybe a Mardi Gras parade with the kind of colorful Latin-American colonial buildings
  • Pacific Islands - eg. Impressive wooden houses with boat-shaped roofs, people in grass skirts and on outrigger canoes in tropical splendor

Then you have European countries worthy of their own style of building and scene - Italy, Russia, Spain, Denmark itself... maybe that can be the next iteration of these sets.

I'm a little annoyed that the only recent representations of Asian ambiance, for example, are with the Ninjago set. So too the Middle East and Egypt or licensed sets. If Lego can accommodate seasonal sets then I can't see why this isn't possible.

This could work as a separate theme in itself. It's an excellent idea, and, would help with variety and even learning about other cultures. 

Don't like to double post, but, with all the racing vehicle stuff we get, I am genuinely surprised Lego has not released one of these:

super-truck-racing-1.jpg

Kids would love it. Adults would probably love it too.

Edited by TheLegoPerson9

2 hours ago, TheLegoPerson9 said:

Don't like to double post, but, with all the racing vehicle stuff we get, I am genuinely surprised Lego has not released one of these:

super-truck-racing-1.jpg

Kids would love it. Adults would probably love it too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is at least one (maybe two) Technic or Model Team racing truck from the 90s.

Every single permutation of racing vehicle has seemingly been done in minifigure scale over the years.

7 hours ago, monkles said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is at least one (maybe two) Technic or Model Team racing truck from the 90s.

Every single permutation of racing vehicle has seemingly been done in minifigure scale over the years.

I should have specificd. I meant a City release. I do not recall one being in City.

OK, we get the Fun at the beach set and the Bus station with newspaper stand this year. So here is my wishlist for City sets:

• new roads sets, sold single or including two identical plates in a set ;
  • a beautiful sailboat (like this year fishing boat, but with a tall mast, 2 sails and a room to fit a minifig inside) ;
  • TV truck with speaker and cameraman + all their stuff ;
  • ambulance truck (i prefer a Creator Expert modular hospital more than a City one) ;
  • a new city people pack "fun at the fairground"

I think these ideas can be cool sets for children to build and play with and look great in an AFOL town layout.

You know, since we are definitely getting police sets in 2018, most likely the next Forest/Swamp, let's see the setting be some sort of tropical island this time :P

In the past years, TLG has given us many specialized vehicles and themes - which I really, really like. Since it's so boring to get always the same fire ladder cars, small police cars etc., but only a bit different in style. But I'm convinced that there could easily be much more specialized vehicles and themes (with taking regular vehicles and themed and modify them into special ones) which keep the attractiveness for JFOLs and at the same time offer more variety for AFOLs. Here is one example with turning a boring regular truck with forklift into something exciting:

Police Truck And Forklift (30 Euros)

• white-blue police truck with car doors in the cab and one side to open at the closed loarding area
  • white-blue forklift
  • accessory: three palettes, four road barriers and two big boxes with megaphone, walkie-talkie, baton, buckler and helmet with visor
  • minifigs: two police officers with suits (without no cravat)

Fire Truck And Forklit (30 Euros)

• red-yellow-white fire truck with car doors in the cab and one side to open at the closed loarding area
  • red-yellow-white forklift
  • accessory: three pallettes, emergency backup generator, small water pump, two barrels and two boxes
  • minifigs: two firemen

Emergency Truck And Forklift (30 Euros)

• white-red emergeny truck with car doors in the cab and one side to open at the closed loarding area
  • red-white forklift
  • accessory: three palettes, water filter machine, four water canisters and four parcels with medical stuff
  • minifigs: two emergency workers
On 17.1.2017 at 11:58 PM, monkles said:

These are great ideas, monkles! :thumbup: But regrettably I don't see them happening.

Which I would prefer much more - and which imo would persumably be more realistic to get - would be to get more buildings from other cultures integrated in City sets. E. g. an Asian tea house in a park set, an African hut in a beachside set etc.

On 29.1.2017 at 11:51 PM, sebitsena said:
  • a beautiful sailboat (like this year fishing boat, but with a tall mast, 2 sails and a room to fit a minifig inside) ;
  • TV truck with speaker and cameraman + all their stuff ;
  • ambulance truck (i prefer a Creator Expert modular hospital more than a City one) ;
  • a new city people pack "fun at the fairground"

I completely agree with you, sebitsena! :thumbup:

A video of Legoworld DK shows a very small sailboat and the new CG heli - so there might be this sailboat as the CG Exclusive this summer.

But yes, a TV truck, a new ambulance and a fairground people pack are since long overdue!

On 4.2.2017 at 5:39 AM, TheLegoPerson9 said:

You know, since we are definitely getting police sets in 2018, most likely the next Forest/Swamp, let's see the setting be some sort of tropical island this time :P

I more would count on a water police theme next year. I mean: There hasn't been any water police (station) since decades. In contrast, forest police and swamp police took place already some years ago. The other option could be a much smaller police theme than the regular ones - namely a special forces theme with only three or four sets (like the oustanding 2013 one).

Tropical island police doesn't sound bad either - but what do you think of arctic police or jungle police or moutain police? :laugh:

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

We didn't have a desert or mountain subtheme, so I'm thinking one of these will be in the summer wave of LEGO City sets. For the desert subtheme, we could have scientists searching for treasure and fossils while encountering cobras, scorpions, and coyotes. For the mountain subtheme, they would also search for treasure and they will meet wolves. What are your ideas?

Also set lists for each subtheme:

Desert:

• Desert Buggy

• One minifig, an ATV, and a scorpion

• Desert Starter Set

• Three minifigs (two desert explorers and a mummy), part of a temple, a cobra, and a coyote

• Desert Exploration Truck

• Two minifigs (a driver and a desert explorer), a pick-up truck with oversized wheels, and a cobra

• Desert Helicrane

• Four minifigs (two desert explorers, one pilot, and a mummy), a hel icrane, a scorpion, and a cobra

• Desert Exploration HQ

• Six minifigs (a scientist, 4 desert explorers, and a paleontologist), a truck with HQ trailer, part of a temple, a small excavator, two cobras, and a coyote

• Desert Pyramid Research

• Eight minifigs (a boss, a skeleton, five desert explorers, and a scientist), a grabber crane, a bike, a big pyramid build with a tomb, and two scorpions

Mountain:

• Mountain Starter Set

• Four minifigs (two mountain climbers and two mountain explorers), a mountain cave build, one ice sphere, a bike, and a wolf

• Mountain Tracked Snowplow

• Two minifigs (a snowplow driver and a mountain climber), a tracked snowplow, two pine trees covered in snow, one ice sphere, and a wolf

• Mountain Helicopter

• Three minifigs (a pilot and two mountain explorers), a helicopter, a buggy, and two ice spheres

• Mountain Research Camp

• Seven minifigs (a scientist, a cameraman, 4 mountain explorers, and a mountain climber), a camp base build, a snowmobile, two wolves, four pine trees covered in snow, and three ice spheres

• Mountain Forest Patrol

• Three minifigs (a forest patrol officer, a crook, and a mountain explorer), a forest patrol van, an ATV, a pine tree covered in snow, two ice spheres, and a wolf

Edited by kungfulegolover

I changed your topic title, you made it sound like if you knew something. :laugh: