Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for new City sets

Another neat idea would be a way on the Lego.com website that you could create and print your own stickers and decals !

I would really love a supermarket, kind of like the old idea books. :wub:

I also really want a new more detailed train station.

I also think maybe a lego food chain restaurant would be great. That would be a great seller. :classic:

The supermarket would be a great idea as it would no doubt include a lot more food items (fish counter with fish, crabs, a bakery with bread and the clown's cakes as well as fruit and veg and other boxed, bottled and tinned items). It would be good to get some new tiles with pictures of different foods like some of the old ones I have seen as well as a wide variety of civilian figures.

What I think would sell well for every city collector are City 'filler' sets containing items to make a better layout and to provide more accessories. Previous examples of this have been very poor with very few minifigures (not to mention repeats of figures which come in every other set). A couple of sets with trees, flowers (include new orange and light blue colours), benches, a statue, new colour bicycles, lamp posts, traffic lights, fences, new hedges, roundabouts, bus stops and signs.

If this was combined with a new selection of a lot (say about 30) new figures not included in any other sets at a decent price I am sure every City fan would buy a copy. They could even theme each pack...

Summer In The City, minifigs in T-Shirts and shorts, girls in summer dresses, a small ice cream stand, plenty of flowers.

Winter City, minifigures in warm clothing - hats, gloves and scarves, snow covered trees, kids with sledges, a snowman

City Business District - figures in office attire, mobile phones, laptops, briefcases. Other figures dressed as civilian employees like waiters and fast food workers.

Other options could include a school set, a farm expansion pack with sheeps, goats, pigs, cows, chickens - basically anything except for police, fire and construction!

These sets are music to my ears! I would buy just about all of them if they were on offer.

Apologies if this idea has already been mentioned, but I would love to see a City Zoo subtheme.

It would include several different-sized sets that you could kind of put together in a modular way.. Not modular as in they would snap together, but you could pick and choose what sets you'd want and build your zoo as big or small as you'd like. The biggest set would be an entrance/visitors center along with maybe 2-3 smaller animal enclosures and a handful of minifigures such as park employees and visitors (adults and children). Then you could buy other animal sets of varying sizes that would also come with (human) minifigures and perhaps some other detailing (like a park bench by a tree, or an ice cream cart vendor).

I do realize that most of these sets wouldn't make too much sense on their own (you'd kind of want to own all of them, or most of them including the biggest set), which is probably why this isn't too likely to ever become a reality, but on the other hand LEGO has released quite a few Duplo zoo sets (a handful of them just this year) so I don't see why that couldn't be translated into a LEGO City subtheme. Even conflict-crazy boys could have a lot of fun pretending the animals at the zoo are running loose and having the massive army of police officers chase down lions and giraffes.

It's high time for a City Corner 2. Maybe one with a taxi stand, a taxi, one other civilian car, a jeweler (for the baddies to steal from), and an art-deco office building. There could also be a dark blue car, or even a gray one, and if LEGO is really generous, a second civilian car. Just like 7641, there would be five figures. One jewelry shop worker, one security guard (new torso, not the light blue Police one), a taxi driver, and two businessman to work at the office.

It's high time for a City Corner 2. Maybe one with a taxi stand, a taxi, one other civilian car, a jeweler (for the baddies to steal from), and an art-deco office building. There could also be a dark blue car, or even a gray one, and if LEGO is really generous, a second civilian car. Just like 7641, there would be five figures. One jewelry shop worker, one security guard (new torso, not the light blue Police one), a taxi driver, and two businessman to work at the office.

I really like this idea. I think its about time for Lego to spice it up a bit.

I would love some newly colored cars rather than the usual. A jewelry store seems perfect too. :classic:

I also like this idea and would love to see it become a set.

Apologies if someone's mentioned these ideas before in the thread:

Restauants

Amusement park theme - with working rides!

Circus

Factory

Ferry with terminal

According to me! Stores are necessary(butcher, baker, florist, jeweler, sushi bar, computer saler, library, ...). Give us more cars and trucks (food salers, delivery company,..)

But I guess that "CITY" theme is not the priority because it is not the most profitable.

I think a Barber Shop/Hairdresser would be cool. Could include 2 hairdressers, 2 customers (one male and one female) and a whole pile of different hair pieces.

I would buy one for the hair pieces alone.

I'd like to see some cars in normal colors: dark blue, silver, dark green, lime green.

I have enough bright red and bright yellow cars already, besides, a yellow car is relatively rare.

I'd like to see some cars in normal colors: dark blue, silver, dark green, lime green.

I have enough bright red and bright yellow cars already, besides, a yellow car is relatively rare.

YES, YES, YES! The issue is that grey cars just aren't exciting for the 5-12 crowd. At least some of the newer robbers' cars are black, and 4433 is mostly gray. Maybe a new Agents theme could provide black, dark blue, and silver (gray) cars in City scale.

Now I see people requesting supermarkets, shops, etc., perhaps Cuusoo might be the only way telling Lego want we would like to see.

So it doesn't seem I'm tooting my own horn, I'll toss in Mini Shop Series by Pekko and now my own City Corner Style Buildings, Hardware & Electrical Store and Supermarket.

If you have ideas perhaps using Cuusoo yourself will also help get the message across to Lego. :classic:

Pekko's work is like mine branded, but in 8x16 form....has a bit of support...including from one tiger. :wink:

Lets keep the ideas flowing.....Brick On Imagine On ! :classic:

According to me! Stores are necessary(butcher, baker, florist, jeweler, sushi bar, computer saler, library, ...). Give us more cars and trucks (food salers, delivery company,..)

But I guess that "CITY" theme is not the priority because it is not the most profitable.

I thought the city theme was their most profitable long term product line? It makes almost as much as Star Wars without the licensing costs, the sets tend to have the longest lifespan, and the theme has the broadest age range out of all their products with a solid fan base from 6 through AFOL's?

As far as a new series? As much as we AFOL types love the building, it generally has to have some sort of movement or vehicle component for the younger fans. So here are my ideas.

Spawn off the harbor and marina themes and do a full ocean beach theme. Life guards, advanced water rescue vehicles in those Baywatch type yellow colors. Boardwalk with restaurants etc. ice Cream truck. Just a very summery sort of theme.

Go the other way ala the forest fire and police sets and do a ski setting with winter gear. Snowmobiles, skiers, snowcats, search and rescue helicopter with lift basket, and a nice ski lodge with a ski lift.

Spawn off the harbor and marina themes and do a full ocean beach theme. Life guards, advanced water rescue vehicles in those Baywatch type yellow colors. Boardwalk with restaurants etc. ice Cream truck. Just a very summery sort of theme.

Go the other way ala the forest fire and police sets and do a ski setting with winter gear. Snowmobiles, skiers, snowcats, search and rescue helicopter with lift basket, and a nice ski lodge with a ski lift.

These 2 ideas would get my vote. These probably wouldnt be to hard to do as they could take ideas from and update the Resq theme from 1998 and Paradisa 1992-97 and the Artic theme from 2000. I would imagine the hardest and most expensive part would be the ski lift.

Here's what I'd like to see:

- A factory/assembly plant. With tons of machines and gizmos inside. Possibly with a technic motor to have some part of the plant motorized. Includes the expected usual city stuff: forklift, and delivery truck.

Minifigs: several factory workers, the forklift operator, truck driver, and the boss in his office.

EDIT: to make it even more ambitious - make it modular to combine with a train set, with an exterior crane to load containers!

- A ski station, complete with a small mountains made of white BURPs and motorized chairlift.

minifigs: skiers, chairlift operator.

- A big summer water park, including a brand new part that I've wanted Lego to make for decades: a water pump! The pump, which would me powered by a motor, could provide water to many different contraptions by using the existing technic pneumatic tubes and t-pieces.

Minifigs: A lifeguard, tons of parents & kids in swimsuit.

- A riot/protest (we had so many of those in Quebec province for the first half of 2012 that it inspired the local Lego club to include two protests in their layout). Include shops with broken windows (along with several dark red 1 x 2 plates next to them), police car ( to arrest protesters), police van.

Minifigs: 5 protesters (some with masks!), 4 anti-riot policemen with special shields, and 1 tv reporter.

- a skydiving set, with a plane and working Lego parachutes

minifigs: pilot, 2 skydivers

- a shopping complex with motorized escalators!

minifigs: shoppers, mall cop

- A massive passenger cruise liner.

minifigs: captain, 4 x sailors, 6 x passengers.

- A flower shop. Would work great as a "female minifig" pack.

Minifigs: Female shopkeeper, old lady, little girl, 2x adult female customers

- a power plant. Includes a part of the set that had an accident (toxic spill!), with lots of trans lime green parts and a skeleton. Also includes a little river next to the plant that is dark green instead of blue, and dark gray plants/foliage. :devil:

Minifigs: 4 x engineers/technicians/electricians, 1 x skeleton

- Funeral procession.

minifigs: hearse driver, widow (with this head 3626bpb271.jpg), two crying kids, priest, skeleton.

Edited by SheepEater

- A flower shop. Would work great as a "female minifig" pack.

Minifigs: Female shopkeeper, old lady, little girl, 2x adult female customers

I like this idea and think it could provide a good Modular building if Lego do not want to produce this in the style of Friends but using regular minifigs.

- A protest (we had so many of those in Quebec province for the first half of 2012 that it inspired the local Lego club to include two protests in their layout). Include shops with broken windows (along with several dark red 1 x 2 plates next to them), police car ( to arrest protesters), police van.

Minifigs: 5 protesters (some with masks!), 4 anti-riot policemen with special shields, and 1 tv reporter.

- Funeral procession.

minifigs: hearse driver, widow (with crying face), two crying kids, priest, skeleton.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you're not a parent, are you??!

I agree with you.....ditto on the comment.

Seriously a funeral procession, I don't think so - sad ideas don't sell, funny ones like Monster Fighters does.

Really we should see more buildings like the ones featured in those 5 minute Lego City cartoons....with those fool-hardy crooks ! :laugh:

:laugh: Nope!

And I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I was right in not including my even more "controversial" set ideas... a riot/protest and a funeral procession are actually benign compared to some of the other stuff I could come up with... Have you ever seen the Brick Testament, aka the Brick Bible by Brendan Powell Smith?

I'm not trying to troll. Ever since becoming a Brick Testament fan, I just always found it extremely hilarious to see very serious subject matters rendered with little adorable blocky plastic figures. Even LEGO does it sometimes. That box always cracks me up. :laugh:

4431_alt1.jpg

Edited by SheepEater

The one thing that must be bared in mind with ideas is the word 'children'. A product must be suitable for children....hence some of 'SheepEaters' ideas would never even leave the launch pad. :wink:

Now instead of this topic drifting off in a tangent of what's right or not right for a set design, I'll make a fresh or reboot suggestion......truck stop. We nearly got one in 2010, and the last one was 1987 (forget anything TownJr......please ! :blush::laugh: ) so the time has come for a new one. It would fit both the trucks released in the past two years plus the Great Vehicles series....of course add into that the mining series. :wink:

I agree, a truck stop would be great. I never got the one from 1987. I'd love to see it done in today's style.

You said we almost got one in 2010, are you referring to the time when Lego asked us what we wanted for a new 2010 set and the Public Transport idea won out? 8404 was a killer set.

Hey guys! I'm a filmmaker who's just getting into LEGO reviews on Youtube and I'm a big fan of the Modular buildings (as well as an AFOL).

I just put up a detailed review of the Grand Emporium 10211!

I believe I truly offer a perspective that"s often neglected by the current popular lego reviewers. I also take pride in precise and effective cinematography of each set I review.

It would mean the world if the people here on eurobricks would check my stuff out because I love talking LEGO, especially when people will listen! I'll be doing giveaways and special videos as well! any AFOL would enjoy!