Sign in to follow this  
TAFOL

WIP - Haunted House Makeover (Remake of set 10228)

Hello fellow Eurobrickers,

Have you ever wondered how set 10228 Haunted House would look like if it was to be renovated into a brand new home with a garden all around? Well, I did. Which is why I started to build this renovation about a year and a half ago. However, life got in the way of the building process and the renovation got shelved until an unspecified date.

However, it was only 2 weeks ago that I wanted to restart the renovation and got to building, with the following result (click to view larger image):

100_3964.jpg

However, that was when I realised there were a lot of bricks I didn't have in my collection that I needed for this renovation, so I got to Bricklinking. Ultimately, I ended up with 12 Bricklink orders with a total amount of 200 euros. And even then I wasn't done with ordering parts yet. There are still some parts that need to be ordered, but I'll only order them when the build calls for it. For example, I've already ordered quite a lot of blue slopes for the roof.

Yesterday, I continued the build and ended up with the following WIP (click to view larger image):

100_4032.jpg100_4033.jpg

I won't be able to build much due to life getting in the way, but I'll try my best to keep you guys updated once or twice a week. Anyway, enough for my rambling. Please enjoy and let me know what you think of this Haunted House Makeover.

See my Brickshelf for more photos.

Edited by TAFOL

Nice start to the renovation! I have thought about it too, to have an unhaunted version, it will look great! I would want to add a full height tower room to it, that would look quite nice also.

It looks like it could be a very happy place as opposed to haunted. No self respecting haunt would renovate with those cheerful colors ;)

I look forward to seeing more of your evicting the haunters from the house.

Andy D

Thanks for the positive feedback. Means a lot. :blush:

The whole idea is to have the house in the colors white, red and blue; white for the foundations and ornaments, red for the walls and blue for the roof. Kinda like this house. :classic:

Today I'm planning to continue with the renovation. Don't know if I'll come far and/or if I'm able to photograph the next fase. :sceptic:

Here's another update. Today I've finished building a part of the first floor. I've also ordered more parts from Bricklink, so the wait for the continuation of this renovation has begun.

In the mean time, please enjoy the pic below (click to view larger image):

100_4136.jpg

Brickshelf

Edited by TAFOL

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE, and where have you hidden the bodies of Drac and his associates?

Just kidding... this is a really fun idea. Love the primary colors. Can't wait to see it finished.

Maybe switch the shutters so they open out vs in towards the door though? Covering the windows makes it feel a little "shut-in".

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE, and where have you hidden the bodies of Drac and his associates?

I think I've buried them in the garden. I think... :devil:

Maybe switch the shutters so they open out vs in towards the door though? Covering the windows makes it feel a little "shut-in".

I guess I could change that. And maybe I could leave some windows open, since it's a clear summer's day. :sweet:

Last week, I managed to build the first floor and I'm in the process of building the 2nd floor and roof. I only need a few more Bricklink-orders, so I'll probably continue the renovation in the weekend or next week. In the mean time, please enjoy the pics below (click to view larger image):

100_4267.jpg

Brickshelf

I'm kinda wondering what to do with the ballustrade on the first floor. Should I use this part, just like the original? Or should I use another part to create the same effect, since part 48729 doesn't exist in red, white or blue yet?

I suggets you use another part as, like you said, the original part doesn't come in red white or blue... Black will be to big of a contrast I think. Unless there are lots of other black parts coming up ofcourse. A part that does come up in my mind is part 6047036, IF that exists in white ofcourse. Good luck. Surprise us :)

Nice progression btw...

THIS is the part I meant....

http://brickset.com/parts/6052824

Edited by B Rick

Interesting idea. The brighter colors work pretty well here.

So I am to understand you are basically bricklinking the entire set in different colors and no minifigs? That sounds like a high dollar amount for bricklink orders. Would it have been cheaper to just buy the official set and modify that?

Interesting idea. The brighter colors work pretty well here.

So I am to understand you are basically bricklinking the entire set in different colors and no minifigs? That sounds like a high dollar amount for bricklink orders. Would it have been cheaper to just buy the official set and modify that?

Thanks for the compliment. Means a lot.

As for your question/observation, I can tell you that I have the original set and its' colors do no match any of my WIP's colors, unfortunately. The original mostly consists of sand green, bley and black; not exactly the colors I use in my renovation. :sad:

How about using white minifig hands as a replacement?

Nice idea, but I think I'll use B Rick's idea of using part 11090. Minifig hands do exist in all sorts of colors, but the pins (with which the hands stick into a minifig's arm) would bend either to the left or to the right. And that's not exactly the look I was hoping for. :sceptic:

Edited by TAFOL

I've finally done it! The exterior of my Haunted House Makeover is finally complete! Yeah! :cry_happy:

After finishing the roof and chimney, I only needed to add the white ornaments, which consist of multiples of this part in white (as B Rick suggested a few posts above this one). After that was done, the renovation for the outside was finally done with. And you can view the result below (click for a larger version of the pic below):

100_4366.jpg

Brickshelf

Now I only need to build the garden and the wall around it. I plan to lay down a paved driveway for minifigs to park their cars on and a fountain in front of the front door. However, in the mean time you can enjoy the pregression of my Haunted House Makeover as it continues. :classic:

This is a great mod, tafol! A very simple but effective colour scheme.

Trippy seeing the Haunted House turned into something like a painted lady. A little bright but nice all the same.

After one and a half month of building, gathering Bricklink-orders and more building, the garden around my house is in the final stages of completion. Check out the result below (click to enlarge):

100_4959.jpg

Brickshelf

The first thing on my todo-list, was making the wall around the garden. I wanted it to resemble part of the original set (10228), so I ordered a few roof parts in blue, a couple of white 3L Bars and a dozen gate-pieces/ladders and got to building. When the wall was finished, I planted a few green and olive green trees around the house, sculpted a beautiful fountain at the end of the driveway (which consists of more than 150 LBG and DBG 1x1 tiles) and build a seesaw behind the house (in time, I'll post a few pics of that. Just be patient ;)). And then the garden was nearly finished. I only need to receive a few parts to finish the seesaw, and then the garden will finally be over and done with.

By the way, do you guys think it'll be wise to put pink and dark pink blossoms into the trees? Or should I just let them be? I ask, because a week ago, I received a Bricklink-order consisting of 100 pink and 100 dark pink blossoms. Just in case, I thought.

Anyway, now it's time to put some interior into the house (it's been an empty shell ever since I first started with the makeover). First, I'll demolish the house to the last brick and then I'll rebuild the building with a real kitchen, toilet/bathroom, bedroom/living room and whatever I can come up with. Just give me a few weeks till the next update. See you then.

Edited by TAFOL

What a nice explosion of colour! I understand your hesitation with the flowers; putting them in could be overdoing it.