Sign in to follow this  
eurotrash

MOC: Local Art Shop facade

Art Shop

I drive past this building on a daily basis and the color scheme they've used really stands out. The detailing on the facade is very common in the rural towns here in the mid-west and I just had to build it.

It's currently an Art Shop with a sign in the window that says "Open Hours: When the lights are on", but inside it's dusty and looks deserted.

13779944613_615d1bccc6_c.jpg

I used an upside down SNOT techniques to build the detailing at the top just under the parapet and I also built the windows upside down to hide the white studs from being visible in the 1x2 trans pieces directly under the wheel arches. Additionally the main piece of the facade is inset 1/2 stud using jumper plates to enable the two sides to stand a bit proud from the rest.

Here's a shot of the MOC and the original building

13779945093_1329c26e9e_c.jpg

(Standing on the bed of my truck with the MOC on a loud-speaker stand carefully slanted to ensure it was level and waiting for a gap in the traffic)

Oh, and here's a Google maps link if you want to explore the other crumbling and neglected wonders of midwestern architecture...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/104+E+Cherry+St/@37.838175,-94.35645,3a,90y,110h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1spBeYYxjD5-E49pJuRT9IkA!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x87c6545f65dcf487:0x9e422f982e6f1d58!6m1!1e1

Thanks for reading and comments and criticisms welcome!

Seems pretty spot-on!

The only change I'd say is switch the upper windows around so the smaller is on the bottom like the original, but you can keep the snot work.

I may have to look for ideas in the surrounding buildings.

What a great MOC! Did you consider using the windows with the rounded tops? Seems like it would get you slightly closer to the original...

I like the MOC, the offset is just right. I also appreciate the real photo comparison, not being simply cropped or shopped.

Excellent job in Lego-ising the original structure 'eurotrash'......going to fill the interior ?

Brick On 'eurotrash' ! :grin:

The only change I'd say is switch the upper windows around so the smaller is on the bottom like the original, but you can keep the snot work.

Oh Poop! I had them correct when I originally built it then inverted them to ensure the white studs weren't visible, but got them in the wrong order :)

What a great MOC! Did you consider using the windows with the rounded tops? Seems like it would get you slightly closer to the original...

Good idea! I'll try that, but I'm not sure they make that 1 x 4 arch brick in Sand Green.

......going to fill the interior ?

Probably not, I'm thinking I might work on the next building along - it's an Appliance Shop with some cool angles in the facade.

Thanks for all the comments!

Really nice job here! You've got it spot on to the original! Although it's a bit too nice to fit into your town at the moment isn't it...? :tongue: It's not falling apart!!

Great job and happy building :laugh:

Looks great and very true to the original. I like how you've turned the windows upside to hide the studs.

This is a great recreation. Very close to the original, with some license used to make it work as a model. Love the google map link, have just played for too looking around the area! Thank you for sharing!