Sign in to follow this  
robuko

[SG] House in Sultan's Gate

13758881284_4ca0a2d542_z.jpg

The courier must deliver his message!

:classic:

This was kind of a revolutionary build for me because I started at the bottom and built upwards!...well, mostly :classic:

Edited by robuko

Sweet house man... I like the "boxes" getting out of the back wall. :wink:

Looks great robuko. I considered those stickers ugly and useless, but they were incorporated immaculately in this build :classic: . I wish I knew how to make those windows :thumbup:

Very nice house, it looks very much how I imagine how buildings in Sultan's Gate can look like :classic:

Keep it up!

Yummy! The colors, the details and the overall design of the house is such a beauty! How did you do the small airholes(?) in the middle?

Sweet design, those houses look definetely very Kaliphlin!

Sweet house man... I like the "boxes" getting out of the back wall. :wink:

Thanks Gunman. Lots of boxes within boxes in this one :classic:

Great architecture! Love the genie too!

Thanks Infernum. There is a whole backstory that the genie is Bartimaeus who was seen earlier in my Nocturnus embassy build, and the courier has some urgent message from him...but I just left it out this time to focus on the build.

Awesome, love the architecture!

Thanks LV, I'm glad you like it!

Beautiful shapes all around!

Thanks very much qiadris, this really is an extension of my King's College build, it's all about the shapes.

Looks great robuko. I considered those stickers ugly and useless, but they were incorporated immaculately in this build :classic: . I wish I knew how to make those windows :thumbup:

Thanks Scaevola. There are 3 window techniques here, and really the point of the build is to show them off - the arrow slits are pretty simple Travis bricks and 2x1 tiles, the little grilles are broken down below. The square windows are rather complex, the basic idea is 2x1 tiles held in by jumper studs, with a row of arched windows behind to hold the window grilles. It becomes rather complicated to get all the tiles to hold each other. I know I have used STAMPs here but I think the sticker colours deserve it. I really like the Pharaoh's Quest stickers, I wish I could use them more.

This is great! I love those tiny windows.

Thanks Carson, I'm happy that you like it.

Awesome job! It is very original, and looks good in our community build!

Thanks Ska, this was all about fitting into the build - hence the unusually restricted palette and the crumbly edges.

Very nice house, it looks very much how I imagine how buildings in Sultan's Gate can look like :classic:

Keep it up!

Thanks Gideon. I was trying to copy your style here with the limited colours and brickwork, I'm glad you like it.

Very original! I like it! :thumbup:

Thanks Mike!

Very interesting! I really like the mish-mash feel of it. Great build!

Thanks HammerBro, the mish-mash is supposed to convey at least 3 levels of rebuilding from an ancient temple, to a dwelling, that is then renovated rather recently - this is what I has trying to do to fit the Sultan's Gate community style.

Yummy! The colors, the details and the overall design of the house is such a beauty! How did you do the small airholes(?) in the middle?

Thanks De Gothia, I'm glad you appreciate it. The grilles are basically decorative, but you are right to think they might be airholes, this is quite a big feature in Iranian architecture to get natural cooling. The build is below - nb the row of bricks above the grille has to be sideways as the tile and plate combination is 4 1/4 plates high.

13843720395_6bc8eef122_n.jpg13843733713_3713a76ea9_m.jpg

Sweet design, those houses look definetely very Kaliphlin!

Thanks kabel. It's just the one house, from 4 different angles. It's been a while since I built in tan and tan, but it's quite a nice colour scheme!

The angles make this house shine. While it appears quite secure, it is not designed like a blocky castle. The arches, curves, windows and vaulted roof (typical of old Capri) add intrigue. And it looks like a composite of three millennia of building.

It is exciting to think where all the pieces of this build came from in real life. Using the a Roman ruins in the Dentilles of France as an example, most of the original structures were dismantled with blocks being used to make anything you can imagine. Likewise this is what happened to most of the a Great Wall of China. The blocks and bricks are found in nearby houses built much later.

We tend to forget that ancient architecture developed stunningly gorgeous buildings using very basic materials. And very little of this is seen in structures after the 1709's. The Alhambra is a good place to get the feel for Moorish designs making the best of the physical environment.

Congrats on a fine build. Tan on tan is perfect, and the olive green vine represents the life it supports.

Lovely architecture, especially those windows :wub: The floorplan of the house and I like the balcony the genie is on :thumbup:

Great shape there, very unique! Neat touch with the vine too! :thumbup:

The courier must deliver his message!

This was kind of a revolutionary build for me because I started at the bottom and built upwards!...well, mostly :classic:

Do you have an interior for this one? It just envokes the feeling of a dense middle eastern city block! You should do a whole city section of these, but at least two times taller and with bridges between the roofs. :wub:

Edited by kabel
please refrain from quoting pics!