DrJB

Styling with flex axles and ribbed hoses .... on the way out?

It seems that recent designs/offerings use less and less of the flex axles and ribbed hoses ... is such practice about to be phased-out by TLG?

Such styling elements (along with earlier panels) had an 'organic' look to them, and it took me some time to get to like them. Though, recently, such design elements appear to be rare ... well ... except for the EV3 Expansion Set.

Any thoughts?

They have been on the way out for over a decade. I never really liked the ribbed hoses much (though the Williams F1 car is beautiful with it), but the flex axles can really be used to great effect as part of the countouring. Sheepo's Mustang MOC is a great example of good use of flex axles.

Indeed, the ribbed hoses aren't very good for external styling, but they make for great ribbed hoses! :wink: Like, exhaust ducting and the likes :classic:

Not sure one can put a specific date for when the 'way-out' started .... as I said, the EV3 expansion set, which was released in 2013, still had them. Though, I cannot think of any other recent set that has them ... maybe in a different theme.

If I remember correctly, there wasn't one Technic set in 2013 that had Flexible Axles, I thought that maybe Lego was doing away with them.. This year they have made a return in a few Technic sets as well as one of the architecture sets... I am not too big on the Ribbed Flex Tubing.. I haven't used that stuff in years... At least not for body styling...

The 2014 pullback racers have them and they still fall under the technic line.

The Cargo Plane has them as well..

Edited by Paul Boratko

well it all depends on where you put them...if you make a complete body with those it may suck, but somewhere they're nice to have

just checked lego, parts are still manufactured and can be ordered so I assume the will carry them for a while

I've never been a fan of either. Many of the official sets that use them really overuse them. They seem to be put to good use when used minimally; in planes like the 42025 and 9394.

My first major set with them was 8466 ... I thought that set used too many of them. It was also my first set with green/silver and pearl light gray.

On the 8448 though, the flex and ribbed hoses are used in a much 'elegant' way.

Edited by DrJB

Is that its official name? ... does it have WV plates as well?

Edited by DrJB

Of course not .... just thought I would follow along ... ;)

You know what WV stands for?

Edited by DrJB