Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

List the Female Minifigure Leaders

So who are the female minifigure leaders?

I'm specifically referring to female minifigures who are the leader of a sub-theme or faction... ranking number 1 and not subordinate to anyone...

Galadriel fits that profile, but the minifig is not out until October.

Edited by IvanStorm

Spinlyn (Spider Tribe leader from Chima).

Queen Amidala (Naboo from Star Wars)

Gypsy Moth (Insectoids, at least according to an old Mania Magazine)

Arguably the Alien Villainess from the CMFs (If you interpret her, as I do, to be the queen of the Alien Conquest aliens)

Those are all the ones I could come up with. That's not to say there aren't others.

What - from all themes? I don't know if that's possible. How do we determine which women in LEGO City, for example, are actually company presidents, hospital administrators and so on, versus the rank-and-file workers?

Queen Amidala (Naboo from Star Wars)

My first Star Wars choice would be Mon Mothma, of the Rebel Alliance (and Leia Organa is one of the major leaders in the movement as well, of course).

What - from all themes? I don't know if that's possible. How do we determine which women in LEGO City, for example, are actually company presidents, hospital administrators and so on, versus the rank-and-file workers?

My first Star Wars choice would be Mon Mothma, of the Rebel Alliance (and Leia Organa is one of the major leaders in the movement as well, of course).

Didn't even think of her! Good catch. My brother just suggested Irina Spalko from Indiana Jones 4—as the leader of that band of Russian troops I think she technically qualifies. Licensed themes can be tricky—for instance, Elizabeth Swann from Pirates of the Caribbean technically took on a leadership role in the third movie, but since there's no minifig representing her at that point in the movie I don't think her fig would qualify. And what defines a faction can be vague—Does Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter count, during her time as Hogwarts Headmaster? It's definitely a leadership role, but it's hard to consider that a "faction".

I know these many of themes do not really have factions as such but these are all female leaders:

Cinderella, Snow White, quite a lot in Belville I believe - e.g. Madam Frost, Snow Queen, Queen Rose, The Queen Beast (Hero Factory), Cleopatra CMF, Marsha Queen of the mermaids, the blonde PoTC mermaid (?), Elizabeth Swann King of the Pirates, Princess Tamina (notionally), Red Harrington, arguably Sally from Cars and Hermione Granger, Poison Ivy (in Batman & Robin), Marge Simpson et c.

:classic:

I can't believe I almost forgot one of my favorites—"Princess" Unikitty from The Lego Movie! Although I suppose that one's debatable—she herself describes her "kingdom" of Cloud Cuckoo Land as having no government.

The witch from the Castle theme Fright Knights.

In all those other castle themes where there is a queen, you do not know really who is in charge..., as with the orc sorceress. And sure a woman is leading Paradisa...

And the Wildstyle one from Lego Movie (or maybe you thought it was Emmet...).

Just look through the CMF line ..

S5 fitness instructor leads her class

S5 zoo keeper is in charge of animals

S6 Surgeon is more important than any doctors

S6 Lady Liberty is Libertas, goddess of freedom

S7 punk girl leads her band (probably S2 singer is the same)

S10 Medusa didn't answer to anyone

S11 Scientist is a professor, so leader of a research team.

There are a number of others that could either be team players or leaders - roller derby girl, intergalactic girl, etc.

And obviously above all S10 bee girl is the "Queen Bee".

In themes not based on movies or containing named characters with assigned titles (City and some others) The minifig's personality traits and job is determined by the builder, thats why lego is fun, you can make the lady boss.

In themes not based on movies or containing named characters with assigned titles (City and some others) The minifig's personality traits and job is determined by the builder, thats why lego is fun, you can make the lady boss.

Indeed. Heck, you can even make the kids the bosses, or the dogs and cats and other pets, or even the houseplants.

Now I kind of want to build a pizzeria for my LEGO city that's owned and operated by an intelligent tree.

Now I kind of want to build a pizzeria for my LEGO city that's owned and operated by an intelligent tree.

It'll be the City's giving tree. I'm sure many will have their fondest childhood memories there.

I can't believe I almost forgot one of my favorites—"Princess" Unikitty from The Lego Movie! Although I suppose that one's debatable—she herself describes her "kingdom" of Cloud Cuckoo Land as having no government.

Yeah, but if nothing else she's definitely the boss of herself (not to mention all those Micromanagers she showed who's boss).

Come to think of it, Leia should indeed be there along with Mon Mothma - aside from being one of the leaders of the Rebellion if not the leader, she's also probably the highest-ranking person in the government and monarchy of Alderaan to have survived its destruction.

Good catch mentioning Irina Spalko, as well.

What about Tamina from Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time?

Edited by Blondie-Wan

In themes like City, Castle, Space and Pirates the LEGO Group has given certain minifigures a name and a small backstory, so I was specifically wondering if they've done so with a leading female minifigure. So I'm assuming this hasn't been the case with City.

In themes like City, Castle, Space and Pirates, the LEGO Group has given certain minifigures a name and a small backstory, so I was specifically wondering if they've done so with a leading female minifigure.

Oh, I know that, but I didn't know if you wanted just the named ones, or wanted all the ones who could be said to be leaders.

There are also ones who would count as being the ones in charge in the context of just what's seen in the actual set, but not in the context of the larger world in which the set takes place. For example, the engineer driving the Horizon Express is clearly in charge of the train, but obviously engineers are railroad employees, rather than independent agents driving their own personal trains wherever they want. However, the Horizon Express set just has the train, the two crewmembers and the four passengers. Similarly, the previously-cited Colonel Doctor Irina Spalko from LEGO Indiana Jones is the top Soviet agent portrayed in any of the LEGO Indy sets (and in the movie), but she obviously does answer to higher-ups in the regime; she's still in charge of the Russian force seeking the Crystal Skull of Akator, though.

So other than licensed products there is no Lego story creation where the main leader is a "named" female other than the witch from fright nights and spinlyn?

Was there any female Bionical leaders?

both "typically evil" characters :sceptic:

Surely there are more? Friends and Paradisa have no real hierarchy do they?

AB

Jessie from Toy Story, Aunt May, Lois Lane, Crooler(? I think ?), Rapunzel, duplo fairy godmother, Dora the explorer, doctors and zookeepers.

So other than licensed products there is no Lego story creation where the main leader is a "named" female other than the witch from fright nights and spinlyn :sceptic:

Belville was full of them, as was Scala. Fabuland also featured several eg Catherine Cat, Lucy Lamb, but these were more collaborative oriented themes where everyone was a leader in some regard.

What about Tamina from Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time?

I said notionally because for quite a lot of the story she is over ruled by Ben Kingsley, but she is nominal head of state and comes into her own at the end.

Wyldstyle is a leader but she reports to Vitruvius.

I think we shouldn't go too far or we're just naming all female characters.

Well, comparing leading a whole theme story or a faction, I guess the first one is more important in the Lego worold . Seriously. besides the girls-oriented theme (Belville, Friends and the Disney princesses), there are no actual female leading protagonists in any of the relevant Lego stories. Which is somewhat a miss to appeal a neutral market.

If counting non-phisycal, Gleeson from Under Cover storyline is a mayor. Is Madam Frost a leader? I didn't have a chance to read Belville stories.

Seriously. besides the girls-oriented theme (Belville, Friends and the Disney princesses), there are no actual female leading protagonists in any of the relevant Lego stories. Which is somewhat a miss to appeal a neutral market.

Most themes aren't aimed at a neutral market though. And in many themes it is not always easy to identify who the leader is. Who is the leader in Galaxy Squad for example?

Friends doesn't have a hierarchy as all the girls are equal in the sense that there is not one dominant girl. This is a good marketing decision, as different girls are likely to favour different mini-dolls based on their looks. My daughter has a couple of minidolls that she has amended to look like her, and names her as such.

Oh, I know that, but I didn't know if you wanted just the named ones, or wanted all the ones who could be said to be leaders.

Specifically female leaders the LEGO Group has named and stated as leaders.

Irina Spalko from LEGO Indiana Jones is the top Soviet agent portrayed in any of the LEGO Indy sets (and in the movie), but she obviously does answer to higher-ups in the regime; she's still in charge of the Russian force seeking the Crystal Skull of Akator, though.

Within that sub-theme she holds the highest rank of any of the minifigures, does she not? Never mind any alleged superiors which didn't even appear in the movie.

I think we shouldn't go too far or we're just naming all female characters.

I agree, Jessie from Toy Story, Aunt May, Lois Lane, Rapunzel, Duplo Fairy Godmother, Dora the explorer, etc. aren't really leaders, well not in the context I was referring. No disrespect to your contributions, Robuko. :pir-classic:

The white Ninja princess from Ninja led the red Ninjas, to my knowledge. Her dad was around too, but I think she was kind of the 'on the frontlines' leader.

We risk straying into the debate about girls play differently which is why they have a different power structure in the girl themes …regardless, Dora the Explorer is a named theme leader, why does she not qualify?

:classic:

Most themes aren't aimed at a neutral market though. And in many themes it is not always easy to identify who the leader is. Who is the leader in Galaxy Squad for example?

Friends doesn't have a hierarchy as all the girls are equal in the sense that there is not one dominant girl. This is a good marketing decision, as different girls are likely to favour different mini-dolls based on their looks. My daughter has a couple of minidolls that she has amended to look like her, and names her as such.

Most themes that doesn't have a media story advestising depends on whether TLG have made a clear hint in physical products. City is the most generic theme, while some other action/space themes are occasional. Their gender issue they have is the ratio of female minifigures in general.

Friends and Ninjago focus on a group of team, so it's still reasonable to count them all. Olivia and Kai are the newest addtion of their own team at first in the media story. Chima's storyline clearly focuses on Laval so Eris can only be called a deuteragonist, not a leading one. Belville's story booklets featured the princesses.

Dora the Explorer is a named theme leader, why does she not qualify? :classic:

Yes, she is a protagonist of a story, which is pretty rare in Lego licenses even though her license is underrated.

The white Ninja princess from Ninja led the red Ninjas, to my knowledge. Her dad was around too, but I think she was kind of the 'on the frontlines' leader.

Offtopic: among the Disney ones, Rapunzel is obviously the future ruler and Cinderella leads rats, but Merida isn't ensured due to her cultural backrground? Not sure what's Princess Storm's title in her own Castle era.

I'm not very familiar with Medieval elements, do most Castle themes hint that kings are the leaders and queens are their wife? Or some of the minifigures might be the empress and the prince consort?

Edited by Dorayaki