I don't think the Technic team would willingly limit themselves by ruling X periodicity to launch model type Y, but rather more "What should the next sets be? Y'know, it's been a while since we've done something like Y, maybe it'd be cool to do it".

10 hours ago, howitzer said:

TLG isn't under any obligation to follow such patterns anyway.

They aren't, but there's a thing called product cannibalization.

On 1/21/2024 at 3:49 AM, Bartybum said:

The SPIKE hub has a fair bit more going on in it than a PU smart hub though, no?

Yeah, with a medium linear actuator

I'd love to see the SPIKE Essentials 2-port hub used in Technic, provided that the firmware was updated to use the train remote handset.  This could control a car without needing a phone.

It would be the equivalent of the City hub but with the Technic attachment method and a LiPo battery.

The 3x3x5 motors would be useful too; those are the smallest but not in high-street sets yet.

On 1/22/2024 at 4:56 PM, Jockos said:

After that I'm curious if the rumoured 42177 will be something like the Liebherr (e.g. towercrane), or a "normal" set with smaller pieces.

If there is to be a tower crane, based on the jib modules of 42146, then let it be one that builds itself by rising and inserting modules into its main tower.  That would be a decent flagship.

A LEGO mobile crane has the difficulty that having more than 3 telescopic parts to the jib makes it too wide for the scale and too heavy to lift with LEGO actuators.

There is a real crane that extends the idea of 42146 with a very long diagonal telescopic jib and twin cables to support the extension that is made from frame modules.
Lichfield Station Crane December 2023

Mark

19 hours ago, Brickthus said:

A LEGO mobile crane has the difficulty that having more than 3 telescopic parts to the jib makes it too wide for the scale and too heavy to lift with LEGO actuators.

8421 had three-stage telescoping boom and its lifting was even pneumatic so scale poses no issues for such a set.

20 hours ago, Brickthus said:

It would be the equivalent of the City hub but with the Technic attachment method and a LiPo battery.

Despite AA/AAA's clunkiness, I prefer them any day over proprietary LiPo. Unlike mobile apps, which can have workarounds, once a proprietary battery dies and is no longer supported, it's almost impossible to have it working again without some electrical/soldering skills.

This upcoming Volvo duopack got me thinking: is it possible for TLG to release a similar multi-vehicle set with different brandings? E.g. a Mercedes truck with a CAT backhoe and a Volvo grader

Technically I don't see why not, but in practice it'd require juggling more license partners, and that might not be worth the trouble.

Edited by AVCampos
Changed "why" for "why not"

42175 Volvo FMX Truck & EC230 Electric Excavator - 2274 pcs - $199.99:

as EC230 excavator will it be rather pneumatic set or linear actuator set?

1 hour ago, sp1984 said:

42175 Volvo FMX Truck & EC230 Electric Excavator - 2274 pcs - $199.99:

as EC230 excavator will it be rather pneumatic set or linear actuator set?

Some rumours said it will be pneumatic. One pneumatic set every year is nice. I am wondering if 42183 will be a thing or just a blank space...

So, can't we have a McLaren F1 LM as the next 1:8 car? Wasn't the rumor the next one in the series is going to be orange? :)