4 minutes ago, Jockos said:

Seeing other themes' decimal anniversaries (Star Wars, Ninjago, HP, etc) I'm curious about what 2027 holds, as it's the 50th anniversary for Technic, and, be honest, the 40th wasn't quite a big hit.

Say what you will about 2017, but the sets from then are way better than what we're getting presently.

6 minutes ago, Jockos said:

I realise that Technic isn't that popular among AFOLs (though it IS in the top 5 best selling themes for years), but I think it does need a bit of love to change that :)

Technic is TLG's greatest theme. There, I said it. And it isn't being done justice now - I'm not sure I want to look forward to 2027, given the quality of current and near-future offerings.

2 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Say what you will about 2017, but the sets from then are way better than what we're getting presently.

Technic is TLG's greatest theme. There, I said it. And it isn't being done justice now - I'm not sure I want to look forward to 2027, given the quality of current and near-future offerings.

Somehow all the sets in 2017 were totally forgettable, both 2016 and 2018 had more interesting sets, and 2015/2019 too. I'd consider 2017 the low point of 2010's and while 2020's hasn't been that great either, I think so far we're still ahead of 2017. Your mileage may vary of course.

I wouldn't even compare Technic to other themes, it's very much different from System-based building. In the early days they were closer (Technic was basically System builds with some functions to make parts move) but from the late 90's and especially since the full transition to studless construction it has been quite different. Apples to oranges comparison, rather than System-based themes where you can closely compare parts usage, building techniques etc.

That being said, I of course agree completely, Technic is hands down the best theme of Lego :laugh:

6 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I wouldn't even compare Technic to other themes, it's very much different from System-based building.

The proof TLG themselves have this mindset is at the top floor of the LEGO House, with the distinct System and Technic (and also Duplo) dinosaurs.

I agree with you guys that Technic is the best theme, but that's not the case I wanted your opinions, actually :laugh: What I want to ask, is whether Technic "deserves" to be treated like other System themes, in a way of having GWPs, official books/dictionaries...seeing the return of polybags, I have that kind of hope. Also it would be nice to have modern renditions of past iconic models every now and then.

14 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Somehow all the sets in 2017 were totally forgettable, both 2016 and 2018 had more interesting sets, and 2015/2019 too. I'd consider 2017 the low point of 2010's and while 2020's hasn't been that great either, I think so far we're still ahead of 2017. Your mileage may vary of course.

Honestly, I'd call 2014 the low point of the 2010s. Even Blakbird couldn't summon much enthusiasm for it: "Stickers continued to play an enormous role in the overall appearance of finished models". It wasn't a bad year by any means - we had the first ever Volvo set! - and it stands well above the 2020s so far, but it definitely suffers in comparison to the rest of the decade in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Jockos said:

I agree with you guys that Technic is the best theme, but that's not the case I wanted your opinions, actually :laugh: What I want to ask, is whether Technic "deserves" to be treated like other System themes, in a way of having GWPs, official books/dictionaries...seeing the return of polybags, I have that kind of hope. Also it would be nice to have modern renditions of past iconic models every now and then.

Dunno, depends a lot on what kinds of sets we're getting. GWPs, books and such are nice but I'd take proper, highly functional "normal" sets any day over them. Right now it seems that we're not getting much of either though...

4 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Honestly, I'd call 2014 the low point of the 2010s. Even Blakbird couldn't summon much enthusiasm for it: "Stickers continued to play an enormous role in the overall appearance of finished models". It wasn't a bad year by any means - we had the first ever Volvo set! - and it stands well above the 2020s so far, but it definitely suffers in comparison to the rest of the decade in my opinion.

Dunno, 2014 had a couple of nice sets like the Volvo and the Cargo plane. Even the construction crew was kinda fun set with lots of play value. The best thing about 2017 was probably the Ocean explorer, as watercraft are always nice to see in Technic but other than that it doesn't have much going on for it.

3 hours ago, AVCampos said:

2017 did also bring the first small RC set, which began the tradition of great electronics parts packs.

Also the tradition of ripsaw-type vehicles. Wonder if that'll continue?

3 hours ago, howitzer said:

The best thing about 2017 was probably the Ocean explorer, as watercraft are always nice to see in Technic but other than that it doesn't have much going on for it.

Really? The worst set of 2017, in my view. What about the Container Yard? I rebuilt it recently and it's one of the most innovative Technic sets in recent years, building on the multi-vehicle setup of the Construction Crew. Or how about 42061? That bucket needs to reappear at some point.

22 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Really? The worst set of 2017, in my view. What about the Container Yard? I rebuilt it recently and it's one of the most innovative Technic sets in recent years, building on the multi-vehicle setup of the Construction Crew. Or how about 42061? That bucket needs to reappear at some point.

Container yard seems cool but I haven't examined it in detail. 42061 is quite a small set and I'm generally not very interested in smaller sets so while it's fine in itself, it won't make or break the year's lineup. I mentioned Ocean explorer mainly because it's on the larger end while being in a category that doesn't receive nearly enough love from TLG. But yeah, it's not that great set, which makes 2017 seem even duller year.

Surely Extreme Adventures was the set of 2017? It was great value, unusual, and a fun build. I know it is the only set I got with the special 40th anniversary piece. 

Edited by DrJimbo
Typo

11 hours ago, DrJimbo said:

Surely Extreme Adventures was the set of 2017? It was great value, unusual, and a fun build. I know it is the only set I got with the special 40th anniversary piece. 

Also a great set from 2017! Cool B-model as well.

I just didn't like its colour scheme. Not because of the colours themselves, but because of yet another colour with a limited quantity to MOC with.

4 hours ago, AVCampos said:

I just didn't like its colour scheme. Not because of the colours themselves, but because of yet another colour with a limited quantity to MOC with.

Well, it's true that the purple is pretty useless, but it is one of those sets that actually has hardly any of a color, and yet becomes kind of defined by it, so at least not too many of the parts are useless.

It's also my only set from 2017, and I'd agree that it's the best one.

On 9/28/2022 at 12:04 AM, DrJimbo said:

Kinda true but those stupid tracks instead of proper wheels...

I've been thinking, the defender has been a very good seller for Lego from what I can tell. When it does retire it would be great to see it replaced with the classic, iconic defender, the one with the ladder frame chassis, drop link steering and live axle suspension. Whilst I get why they went with the new defender, I believe the old one was the defender more people wanted from Lego and doing the classic icon would give them a great opportunity to improve on the previous one. They could do the longer 110 version to give the designer (hopefully Grohl again) a bit more room and introduce the new gearbox parts I suggested, which I still believe is the absolute best way to solve all Lego gearbox issues once and for all. It would be a lot of new parts but I think it would be worth it for such a set that would likely sell very well, and it would make the parts available for future sets/supercars. Maybe they could also introduce new wheel hubs to accept the newer, larger CV joints. These new CV joints combined with the new gearbox parts would really unlock a lot of potential for much more realistic models, as well as being capable of being fully motorised, though the set itself wouldn't need to be motorised out of the box but it would unlock that potential. I really do think that would be a fantastic next step forward for Technic when the current defender retires. 

Edited by allanp

I support a Defender successor and all I ask for is a new, more realistic, better working steering system! I really can't stand the current steering with the wheel rolling around a steering point somewhere next to the tire. The Defender wheels are a step into the right direction and the Batmobile with virtual pivot ist nice but there is still room for improvement :)

8 hours ago, allanp said:

I've been thinking, the defender has been a very good seller for Lego from what I can tell. When it does retire it would be great to see it replaced with the classic, iconic defender, the one with the ladder frame chassis, drop link steering and live axle suspension. Whilst I get why they went with the new defender, I believe the old one was the defender more people wanted from Lego and doing the classic icon would give them a great opportunity to improve on the previous one. They could do the longer 110 version to give the designer (hopefully Grohl again) a bit more room and introduce the new gearbox parts I suggested, which I still believe is the absolute best way to solve all Lego gearbox issues once and for all. It would be a lot of new parts but I think it would be worth it for such a set that would likely sell very well, and it would make the parts available for future sets/supercars. Maybe they could also introduce new wheel hubs to accept the newer, larger CV joints. These new CV joints combined with the new gearbox parts would really unlock a lot of potential for much more realistic models, as well as being capable of being fully motorised, though the set itself wouldn't need to be motorised out of the box but it would unlock that potential. I really do think that would be a fantastic next step forward for Technic when the current defender retires. 

It was, yeah, but also, because of its controversial story with gearbox complexity, achieved the "best technic set of the year" and "worse customer satisfaction" awards simultaneously.
The best authentic model includes all the features in the 1:10 (not in 1:8!) scale but due to LEGO limitations experienced a huge axle twist, gear friction, and other unavoidable effects; all these features were the best designed but performed not as best as they could be expected. I do not want to say it was a failure, no, it wasn't obviously, but it wasn't such excellent as it was presented.

Due to these things, I think it was mostly a Proof of Concept model, and I don't believe we're going to get a Defender 2.0, as pure successor. The recent sets show complication in electric functions, while pure-mechanical things remains for more or less legacy (convenient) models, like Tow truck, Excauator, etc.

On 10/2/2022 at 10:17 AM, allanp said:

I've been thinking, the defender has been a very good seller for Lego from what I can tell. When it does retire it would be great to see it replaced with the classic, iconic defender, the one with the ladder frame chassis, drop link steering and live axle suspension.

I would very much love this to happen, though I think its quite unlikely. I guess there were a couple of reasons why they did the new Defender, although I'd guess most people would have loved a classic one more. One reason is that I guess Land Rover wanted to advertise the new Defender (that's the downside of a licensed model). Second, I think there were technical reasons as well, for example related to the suspension; Lego is being cheap (in the bad sense) and going for easy solutions; the new model has independent suspension, which is much easier to do than a proper live axle in such a scale, as it needs a lot of space with current parts (both the axles themselves, and the drivetrain going into them). I'd love to see classic offroaders that improve the parts palette with ones that enable building compact live axles, which is very much a weak spot of technic (just look at those huge Zetros axles). And that includes wheel hubs with the new joints as you say (along with new variants of the joint itself maybe, such as a female part with 2L axle), and also suspension links in various lengths, and parts for a linkage based steering system. Instead of the overcomplicated gearbox, I'd be happier with a simpler multi-functional one, for example, high-low gear with a central diff-lock, but in a more realistic arrangement, that leaves some space for the suspension and the drivetrain going into the live axles. Of course, a simpler gearbox mechanism like you designed would be welcome, but I don't have high hopes for such a system from Lego either..

As I expect neither the 42154 Ford GT nor the 42156 Peugeot 9X8 to be RC cars, maybe we'll see one with the H2 wave.

The last years RC fast models were:

42109 Top Gear Rally Car - Jan 20

42124 Off Road Buggy - Jan 21

42144 Transformation Vehicle - March 22

As both 2021 and 2022 cars were offroad, I think we can expect something roadgoing like this? All-wheel drive would be nice, too :-)

Audi-S1-Hoonitron-Ken-Block-fotoshowBig-

Given the new Flash trailer and the new Bat car + Bat motorcycle in it, I think in next year there's gonna be another Batman vehicle in the Technic line.

41e66cc5576e4c0f03d3c718874c6e38.jpg

Jokes aside: The Flash vehicles could be interesting. As the more iconic ones were already modelled with system bricks, the only interesting one from recent years would also be the Batman VS Superman batmobil:

1459529639-20160331-111741.jpg?resize=48

(Edit: I just looked at the trailer and it seems that it shows the older 1989 batmobil under a canvas. The new batcycle with dual front wheels looks also nice, but again a motorcycle is a little unlikely)

Edited by Jundis

First of: Does it count as double post if the these are 3 months apart? :innocent:

As we already know the models from this year, I'd like to speculate further into 2024. I actually expected two models which didn't come and hopefully be present in next years line-up:

- Truck with 49,5 tires (Logging truck for example)
- Agricultural machine with medium sized tractor tires for steering axles and big ones for drive (regular field tractor, combine harvester or even backhoe)

Also it's time for another boat, the last ones were:

2018: 42076
2019: 42089
2020: 42105
2021: 42120

Nothing in 2022 and 2023... maybe they didn't sell that well?

Yeah, I don't think boats sell that well as it's somewhat difficult to make a realistic yet playable boat, and the functions are often not very interesting. Works well for the small-to-mid size sets but not that well for larger sets. But they are being made to keep some variety with the otherwise very car and construction oriented Technic line. (Yeah, there's aircraft also, but nowhere near the number of cars and construction stuff).

I would like TLG to release some interesting and functional vehicles such as an ambulance, a fire truck (there are a lot of options for developing this direction from a small 42075 type jeep to a full-fledged fire truck in 1:10 scale), and there really is not enough new timber truck , perhaps a grader or a scraper, a combine. The tendency to rely on design rather than function is very upsetting ...