I think the next 42078-scaled truck in 2022 will not have a crane because it will be too similar to 42128. My guess is that it will be a licensed cabover semi truck with a dump bed trailer.

Or a Volvo semi truck with a flat bed trailer that hauls a Volvo medium-sized front loader.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

42 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Or a Volvo semi truck with a flat bed trailer that hauls a Volvo medium-sized front loader.

I'd love a comeback of such combo vehicles. Lego already did such a thing with the car transporter. I'd love to see this.

Garbage truck maybe?

MOC-77062 Garbage Truck upgradable with Power Functions
something like this one (Moc by Timtimgo on rebricable)

4 minutes ago, Jundis said:

I'd love a comeback of such combo vehicles. Lego already did such a thing with the car transporter. I'd love to see this.

Combo sets were amazing, 42023 was good. I would like to see a Combo set with logging truck (without crane) and forest machine

Edited by Dami

Garbage truck would be great, but there has never been a proper large-scale A-model garbage truck except maybe 8479, so I'm guessing TLG considers them too unglamorous vehicles to be put prominently on the shelf.

10 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Garbage truck would be great, but there has never been a proper large-scale A-model garbage truck except maybe 8479, so I'm guessing TLG considers them too unglamorous vehicles to be put prominently on the shelf.

An 18+ truck?

😮

Curiously, all Technic garbage trucks (8868-B, 8479-B, 42078-B) are of the "front-loading" (I don't know the technical designation) type. There's room for a "side-loading" or a "rear-loading" truck. Also, the garbage trucks in my area have an articulated crane to pick the bins and unloading them through the top of their container, and steering on the third axle.

Many possibilities for mechanically interesting sets, then.

I see a Garbage Truck more likely in 42112, 42078 or 42128 scale

Edited by Dami

A cross between 42028-B and 42055-A? Yes, that could be interesting. But, please, with the hoops in a more common colour!

5 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

A cross between 42028-B and 42055-A? Yes, that could be interesting. But, please, with the hoops in a more common colour!

Yeah. Cool yellow would look weird.

57 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

I'd love a Wolfe 7000 trencher

I really wish Lego would do such things, but they highly likely stick to more common equipment. There are not many kids around who ever saw a trencher.

The flagships of the Technic lineup for the past 10 years revolve around:

- Excavator (2010. 2016, 2019)
- Bulldozer (2007, 2021)
- Truck (2009, 2011, 2015, 2017, 2020)
- Crane (2013, 2018, maybe 2017)
- Off-roaders (2008, 2012)
- Front loader (2014)

I don't think there will be off-roader flagships because they have been moved to lower price point (42099, 42129). Unless TLG does a 8x8 with large tractor tires. Front loader as a flagship is also unlikely because I can't think of any way that a new front loader flagship can differentiate itself from the 42030 in 2014. As far as I've observed TLG tends to not repeat themselves.

So we're back to excavators, truck, and cranes. The variations that I can think of are:

- Bucket trench excavator
- Simple hydraulic boom excavator
- Dragline excavator
- 6x6 mobile crane
- Tracked lattice boom crane (this one can uses the CAT track pieces)
- Tower crane

Huge machines of other types:

- Combine harvester
- Reach stacker.

Those should be enough to allow TLG to run unique flagships for another decade.

49 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

So we're back to excavators, truck, and cranes. The variations that I can think of are:

- Dragline excavator
- 6x6 mobile crane
- Tower crane

We can add some long awaited friends here:

- European style logging truck (Mercedes/MAN)
- Backhoe (JCB)
- Dumper (Liebherr)

The last one is unlikely to come yet, as there are the Volvo from 2020

16 minutes ago, Jundis said:

We can add some long awaited friends here:

- European style logging truck (Mercedes/MAN)
- Backhoe (JCB)
- Dumper (Liebherr)

The last one is unlikely to come yet, as there are the Volvo from 2020

Right I totally forgot about the Backhoe and the Mining truck. I don't think the logging truck will be done at a flagship scale because in real life it's not big and complex enough.

The updated list:

- Dragline excavator
- 6x6 mobile crane
- Tower crane
- Backhoe (a kind of excavator and loader)
- Mining dump truck

Huge machines of other types:

- Combine harvester
- Reach stacker.

If TLG turns out to release all of these as flagships, it will take them 10 years to do so. By the end of that period Technic will be in a very interesting position. TLG will have already exhausted all the biggest baddest machines out there as flagships, so will they repeat themselves? I'd love to see.

28 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I don't think the logging truck will be done at a flagship scale because in real life it's not big and complex enough.

With a  crane and a dolly they sure are, as I am currently working on a MOC and it drives me nuts :D

HPC-Holztransport-12.jpg

37 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Or maybe the AT-AT quarter gear wheels?

Anything smaller than the BWE gear rings will require new buckets.

13 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I don't think the logging truck will be done at a flagship scale because in real life it's not big and complex enough.

I'm not sure I'd agree on the complexity aspect. Even if you ignore the trailer, the crane alone provides the same number of functions as the Arocs. It's far more complex than the Volvo loader anyhow. I could totally see them charging Zetros prices for a model with RC drive, suspension and manual PU crane + outriggers. Without a trailer it'd totally be possible imo. I think you should add it to the list, especially if the bucket wheel trencher is also there despite having limited appeal. That being said, I think (and hope) we'd sooner see a logging truck with a trailer at a Mack Anthem (49.5mm) scale.

12 hours ago, Jundis said:

HPC-Holztransport-12.jpg

Oh man what I would give for a fully manual, pneumatic, 49.5mm scale set of this :wub_drool:

Edited by Bartybum

A telehandler is something that could be built with four motors also.  One motor for drive, one motor for steering, one motor for gearbox, and one motor to control four other functions (stabilizers, boom, boom extension, and fork/bucket curl).  I'd buy that, especially if it were more authentic with a pendular axle, fake motor, AWD, 4WS, and at least a three section boom.

4 hours ago, Bartybum said:

@Ngoc Nguyen Thoughts on adding a road grader and forklift, or would they not have enough appeal for a flagship?

I think there is enough appeal for both, but to give them a flagship character, they'll need at least 2000 pieces (42114 had 2193).

For the grader to reach this piece count, you'll need the 94.3 tires. Even with the 68.7 tires from the batmobile, my grader only had about 1000 pieces.

@nico71 Did a brilliant C-Model for 42082, so a forklift with real functions would be really nice.

5 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Oh man what I would give for a fully manual, pneumatic, 49.5mm scale set of this

Sadly I don't find the thread, but I am sure someone presented a logging truck in this scale not long ago...