On 6/17/2021 at 10:49 PM, Void_S said:

Well, actually (sorry for enabling the Mack-fan mode) LRs are "low-entry" modifications of MR Cabover trucks to be exclusively used for only refuse trucks. So, "Mack LR" = "refuse truck", it has just no alternate use. https://www.macktrucks.com/trucks/lr-series  I think that by using the model name instead of a generic "refuse/garbage truck" TLG just highlighted that the B model here is also a licensed model.

As for the B models, they mostly really are some so compromised sets due to a limited parts number and variation. But some sets have really great B models, which definitely equals if not better than the main A model.

42078 was one of those.

Two trucks, same scale, both, semi and low-ride are iconic representatives of their class. Ingenious design work, perfect merketing. Made me buy two sets almost instantly.

2 hours ago, Jundis said:

As the pneumatics with 1x11 cylinders returns this year and the CAT-license available, is there a possibility for a grader as an A-model? :wub: 

Until this happens, you can have this one: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-54686/Dadudi_Technic_Creations/42112-road-grader/#details

This is really close to the blue monster CAT 120M2.

Edited by XTN

12 hours ago, AVCampos said:

Indeed, graders is something LEGO never made as an A-model and would be a breath of fresh air amongst all the excavators and front-end loaders. Scrapers are also something missing from the A-model ranks.

A grader could make for a neat pneumatic model but I don't see it happening TBH as it's not that recognisable. It's movements are also kinda limited in range so might not make for a very exciting play experience. HOWEVER, a bulldozers blade also doesn't move very much, and they did say that more obscure vehicles could now be more possible now that the box art shows the vehicle in its native setting to give it some context so who knows. 

2 hours ago, allanp said:

A grader could make for a neat pneumatic model but I don't see it happening TBH as it's not that recognisable. It's movements are also kinda limited in range so might not make for a very exciting play experience. HOWEVER, a bulldozers blade also doesn't move very much, and they did say that more obscure vehicles could now be more possible now that the box art shows the vehicle in its native setting to give it some context so who knows. 

A grader is indeed at least as exciting as a bulldozer, and we've had several of the latter over the years but never a proper grader. It's very high on my wishlist also, and judging from the several magnificent grader MOCs I've seen over the years, it could either be a really cool flagship set or a secondary yet still very nice and functional set. Kinda like the CAT bulldozer/American tow truck.

14 hours ago, XTN said:

This is really close to the blue monster CAT 120M2.

I take this as a praise ;-) Also you linked to a really cool little grader and even cooler as it is a B-Model!

55 minutes ago, howitzer said:

A grader is indeed at least as exciting as a bulldozer, and we've had several of the latter over the years but never a proper grader. It's very high on my wishlist also, and judging from the several magnificent grader MOCs I've seen over the years, it could either be a really cool flagship set or a secondary yet still very nice and functional set. Kinda like the CAT bulldozer/American tow truck.

Jup, but I don't think it will be a flagship as it really doesn't really have many parts due to a rather open structure. My grader had abouth the same lenght and scale as the 42043 and had just a little over 1000 parts. Also a grader would be a perfect model for the dumb battery box with 1 motor and tons of pneumatics. Same setup could apply to a pneumatic backhoe :-)

And Lego, please hear me out: We need way more agricultural machinery! You have the right wheels now :D

39 minutes ago, Jundis said:

I take this as a praise ;-) Also you linked to a really cool little grader and even cooler as it is a B-Model!

Jup, but I don't think it will be a flagship as it really doesn't really have many parts due to a rather open structure. My grader had abouth the same lenght and scale as the 42043 and had just a little over 1000 parts. Also a grader would be a perfect model for the dumb battery box with 1 motor and tons of pneumatics. Same setup could apply to a pneumatic backhoe :-)

And Lego, please hear me out: We need way more agricultural machinery! You have the right wheels now :D

Well, you could always enlarge the model if high parts count is what you need. I recall seeing a grader MOC with well over 4000 parts and extremely high level of functionality, I think having all the functions that a real grader would have. And considering the hugeness of the Liebherr and the upcoming CAT, there's no reason why it couldn't be equally large (though I'm sure somewhat smaller would suffice, not every flagship has to be huge).

My Wishlist

Winter Wave

Mini Monster Truck for $10, around 130 pieces

Mini Crane for $10, around 130 pieces

Two Pullbacks for $20, Gokart and Hot Rod, around 220 pieces

Submarine for $40, around 570 pieces

Formula 1 for $50, around 650 pieces

Offroad Service Truck for $50, around 700 pieces

Yamaha Raptor for $70 with Speed Transmision Gearbox, around 720 pieces

Licensed Tractor (maybe John Deere) for $100, with Function Switch gearbox around 1200 pieces

Summer Wave (June)

DeLoeran Time Machine (Back to the Future license) for $100, around 1100 pieces

Compactor with Control+ for $130, around 400 pieces

Summer Wave (August)

Boeing 777 with Powered Up (not Control+, similar to Ospreay) for $150, around 1650 pieces

Class Lexion 8900 for $170, with Functions Switch Gearbox, around 2000 pieces

Volvo Grader with Control+, and RC Speed Transmission Gearbox, for $260, around 2200 pieces

Logging Truck for $210, with Pneumatics and Function Switch Gearbox, around 2300 pieces

Audi R8 V10 Plus for $380, with Speed Transmission Gearbox, around 3900 pieces

Edited by Dami

On 6/22/2021 at 3:52 AM, Jundis said:

It does seem somewhat odd that they would release these tires in non-agricultural sets*, if they weren't planning on putting them in some set in which they actually fit better!

*The little one did come in a city tractor.

10 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

It does seem somewhat odd that they would release these tires in non-agricultural sets*, if they weren't planning on putting them in some set in which they actually fit better!

*The little one did come in a city tractor.

I have really high hopes for 2022 models. There are so many possibilities now for different sizes and configurations. Also pneumatics made a comeback, so maybe, just maybe, we'll see some very cool agriculture sets. A combo-set with a tractor with hay forks and a trailer would be very nice.

@Dami Quite a nice list :-) We already had some of the models like the monster truck. The compactor is more unlikely as it has very limited functions for such a big model. The grader on the other hand with 2200 pieces would be very huge. I'd rather see it with 1x11 pneumatic cylinders.

Also, its rather unlikely from Volvo, as they discontinued graders in 2014. But we have a CAT-license now and they have a broad range ;-)

10 hours ago, Dami said:

Logging Truck for $210, with Pneumatics and Function Switch Gearbox, around 2300 pieces

Yes please!

My long-term MOC-project is a logging truck in such a configuration:

csm_LH_3_cb86de43b0.jpg

Edited by Jundis

3 hours ago, Jundis said:

My long-term MOC-project is a logging truck in such a configuration:

Oh god please yes.

My dream is for a manual pneumatic one like that in the Mack Anthem scale. It would be the perfect Technic truck set for me.

Since we're talking bout trucks, there's this thing that's been on my mind for quite a while. The good old thin 43.2mm wheels (Arocs's wheels) hasn't been used since 2019. Its last appearance in the Technic lineup was in the Forklift set in 2018. Since the release of the fat 49.5 tyre and the Mack truck, TLG seems to have decided to make a truck around that tyre size an annual thing. The only thing that sets the 43.2 wheel apart is that it can be used for proper rear duallies. But this year TLG has also introduced the thin 49.5 tyre, which presumably can be stacked to make duallies too, and I think they will appear in the Technic lineup in no time. Bigger trucks and cars are designed around the thick 43.2mm wheels (42111, 42029). That makes me question is this part going to be retired, and will it appear in the Technic lineup again. Maybe not retired, as it can be used in other themes, like as motorbike wheels. 

21 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

You mean the 8868?

Well no, because that doesn't have a folding trailer

Edited by Bartybum

13 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The good old thin 43.2mm wheels (Arocs's wheels)

Just a typo, you mean 62.4mm ;-)

*Edit: Nevermind, I mixed up tires and wheels...

For a 1:17 truck, the Arocs wheels are perfect. But they new thin 49.5 are maybe a good addition for the breed of 15 stud wide trucks. If TLC managing to get as much functions in these smaller scale, I am more than happy. A 42128 with the MOD for the newer, narrower 49.5x14mm would be a nice thing :-)

Edited by Jundis

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

Just a typo, you mean 62.4mm ;-)

*Edit: Nevermind, I mixed up tires and wheels...

For a 1:17 truck, the Arocs wheels are perfect. But they new thin 49.5 are maybe a good addition for the breed of 15 stud wide trucks. If TLC managing to get as much functions in these smaller scale, I am more than happy. A 42128 with the MOD for the newer, narrower 49.5x14mm would be a nice thing :-)

Perhaps also simpler bigger trucks will appear (68.7 batmobile tires are perfect for 1:15 scale and that kind of scale will be just 2 studs wider than Arocs, working or something similar and simple, but for weeks I try to "repair" XL motor which I plan to power 6 x 2 truck)...

Imagine your suggestion (log truck) with total 18 such tires :wub:

4 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Perhaps also simpler bigger trucks will appear

And then people will complain that such a big set has so few functions.

27 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Well people will always complain; somehow I'm affraid that people have lost any kind of respect...

32 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

This is the main reason I think the Arocs tyres are a poor idea for a logging truck with trailer; the Mack size is just far more convenient for the wallet

The decision to add the thick 49.5 tyre and scale the midscale truck around it is a brilliant decision. 

Before that, midscale trucks are scale thin 43.2mm wheels, and they appear once every three years (8258 in 2009, 9397 in 2012, and 42043 in 2015). I know there are other sets that use this kind of wheel, but I don't consider them a part of the midscale truck line (42009 doesn't count to me either).

Scaling them around the 43.2mm wheels requires trucks to be bigger, which probably also requires them to have PF or at least to be PF upgradable, which will put them in a higher point range (flagship or pen-flagship points). That, combined with the lower price points that TLG has for an annual line up back then (which caps at 200 ish EUR for a flagship), probably prohibits both the types of truck that can be done and the frequency with which they can be released. All 3 midscale trucks and the 42009 are all crane-ish trucks.

Meanwhile, I can't imagine the release of the first 3 midscale trucks (42078, 42098, 42112) as 49.5mm-tyre-scale. At that scale,

- 42078 will be too large and has only 3 Technic-ish functions (two stages of crane, outriggers)
- 42098 will also be too large and still has only 3 Technic-ish functions (truck upper deck lowering, trailer upper deck lowering, ramp lowering)
- 42112 has 1 Technic-ish function, which is rotating the drums.

(Technic-ish functions to me are the ones that are not the basic ones, like steer, drive, fake engines, tiltable hood/cabin)

Now that midscales trucks are smaller and are completely manual, I'm really curious about what type of model will actually require the thin 49.5 rim. Probably not a truck. Maybe a reach stacker with a proper front dually.

10 hours ago, Jundis said:

My long-term MOC-project is a logging truck

I'm afraid that Lego pneumatics has no enough power to unload a trailer from a truck in a such configuration. 

I wish TLG would make something like I made. With RC pneumatics. 

59 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The decision to add the thick 49.5 tyre and scale the midscale truck around it is a brilliant decision. 

Before that, midscale trucks are scale thin 43.2mm wheels, and they appear once every three years (8258 in 2009, 9397 in 2012, and 42043 in 2015). I know there are other sets that use this kind of wheel, but I don't consider them a part of the midscale truck line (42009 doesn't count to me either).

Scaling them around the 43.2mm wheels requires trucks to be bigger, which probably also requires them to have PF or at least to be PF upgradable, which will put them in a higher point range (flagship or pen-flagship points). That, combined with the lower price points that TLG has for an annual line up back then (which caps at 200 ish EUR for a flagship), probably prohibits both the types of truck that can be done and the frequency with which they can be released. All 3 midscale trucks and the 42009 are all crane-ish trucks.

...8285 (tow truck) in 2006, but 8436 was released in 2004...

43 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

...8285 (tow truck) in 2006, but 8436 was released in 2004...

That still reinforces my points that the trucks of that scale are essentially truck + crane (8436 is a tractor truck with a crane) and are released further away from one another than current midscale trucks. 

Give thin 93mm wheels! 1:17 scale to small for 12-speed gearbox, cab suspension and other perversions. And large steering wheel too large for 1:17 scale.

10 minutes ago, RazzPinazzo said:

Give thin 93mm wheels!

A few years ago I'd say that thing is totally an overkill, but given the current trend toward bloating for flagships it's certainly possible *oh2*

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

That still reinforces my points that the trucks of that scale are essentially truck + crane (8436 is a tractor truck with a crane) and are released further away from one another than current midscale trucks. 

My intention was to backup your post...