10 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Would be great to have one of these. But I don't think there has ever been a proper refuse truck in Technic (42024's container might count but even that's quite different) so I believe the marketing people at TLG don't think very highly of them. Even if it could easily be a really great set.

42078 B.

LEGO_42078_WEB_SEC02_1488.jpg

Edited by Maaboo35

21 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I believe the marketing people at TLG don't think very highly of them

You might never know. TLG has been bringing exotic trucks into the Technic lineup lately. Maybe one day they can do a front load or side load refuse truck.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

42078 B.

This model works partly because its official name is just Mack LR instead of Refuse Truck or Garbage Truck. To TLG, the name also contributes to the viability of a product. If TLG releases the next proper refuse truck as a main model on the box, I think it will also carry a license.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

42078 B.

LEGO_42078_WEB_SEC02_1488.jpg

I don't count B-models here. All kinds of strange contraptions have been explored with B-models in the past but due to the inherent limitation of limited and non-optimized parts selection, they just don't do it for me. And then there's the fact that B-models are being phased out, we've been seeing less and less of them in the last years. Don't get me wrong, I love B-models, but I don't think they have ever been a significant selling point, the main model is the real thing here.

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

You might never know. TLG has been bringing exotic trucks into the Technic lineup lately. Maybe one day they can do a front load or side load refuse truck.

I hope you're right. It's true that the Technic lineup would benefit of exploring wider variety of trucks, in addition to the ever repeating dumper/crane/tow-trucks.

1 hour ago, howitzer said:

I don't count B-models here

they just don't do it for me

Don't get me wrong, I love B-models

I think the age-old adage of "check your work before handing it in" applies quite strongly here.

4 hours ago, howitzer said:

Would be great to have one of these. But I don't think there has ever been a proper refuse truck in Technic (42024's container might count but even that's quite different) so I believe the marketing people at TLG don't think very highly of them. Even if it could easily be a really great set.

8479 in 1997 and before that, 8868 b-model in 1992

15 minutes ago, 1974 said:

8479 in 1997 and before that, 8868 b-model in 1992

I thought they were more material handlers than bin lorries, especially 8868.

I think the age-old adage of "check your work before handing it in" applies quite strongly here.

B-models are not A-models, I'm never going to buy a set (especially a large, expensive one) just because it has a nice B-model and I think many people agree with me. I love the extra that they bring on board though, as it gives something to do with the set once the A-model's shelf life is over, before parting it out. There's a large number of great B-models out there, but all of them would've been even better as a proper A-model, without the compromises that inevitably happen with B-models, so still not counting them when thinking of what kinds of things has or hasn't been properly represented in Technic.

And yeah, 8479 and 8868B are not what I think as a refuse truck either.

2 hours ago, howitzer said:

B-models are not A-models, I'm never going to buy a set (especially a large, expensive one) just because it has a nice B-model and I think many people agree with me. I love the extra that they bring on board though, as it gives something to do with the set once the A-model's shelf life is over, before parting it out. There's a large number of great B-models out there, but all of them would've been even better as a proper A-model, without the compromises that inevitably happen with B-models, so still not counting them when thinking of what kinds of things has or hasn't been properly represented in Technic.

That axiom isn't totally solid, considering that 42079's B is better than 9395's A. In fact, 42079's B might actually be better than 42079's A.

8 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

This model works partly because its official name is just Mack LR instead of Refuse Truck or Garbage Truck. To TLG, the name also contributes to the viability of a product. If TLG releases the next proper refuse truck as a main model on the box, I think it will also carry a license.

Well, actually (sorry for enabling the Mack-fan mode) LRs are "low-entry" modifications of MR Cabover trucks to be exclusively used for only refuse trucks. So, "Mack LR" = "refuse truck", it has just no alternate use. https://www.macktrucks.com/trucks/lr-series  I think that by using the model name instead of a generic "refuse/garbage truck" TLG just highlighted that the B model here is also a licensed model.

As for the B models, they mostly really are some so compromised sets due to a limited parts number and variation. But some sets have really great B models, which definitely equals if not better than the main A model.

Edited by Void_S

The colour discussion in the Raptor topic got me thinking: I see a lot of Kobelco excavators around the construction sites and they are usually dark turquoise, so it might be nice to get such an excavator, maybe even licensed, at some point. It's a nice colour, but currently with very limited parts palette, though it has been used in other themes like Mindstorms before so some important parts do exist.

6 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

They could be handling garbage .. In my hood, the garbage is actually handled by normal trucks as the bins are below surface level

On 6/17/2021 at 4:24 PM, Maaboo35 said:

That might be true.  Certainly some countries have up-and-over refuse collection vehicles.  8868b would be to be a good answer to fly-tipping!

We must also remember that 8868b is more educational than most sets before or since.  It opens the door to automating and programming pneumatic functions and their interaction.

The functions of 8868b allow redeployment to perform the function that UK bin lorries perform, that of crushing the refuse, using two functions in a Gray code loop (00, 01, 11, 10).

Beyond that, at least five years of investigation and discovery - pneumatic logic gates, flip-flops, loops, mid-stop, servos and stepper motors.  If that's not value for money then what is?

The functional interaction has never been repeated in a set, despite 42043, 42053, 42080 all having more than enough pneumatic parts to do it.  8868b is a must-build.

Reasons TLG might not make a bin lorry as an A-model include the name - it might be thought of as rubbish and people might refuse to buy it :laugh:  That is similar to trying to sell a Vauxhall "Nova" in Spain - a car that "doesn't go"!

Mark

TLG's decision to rename 42097 from Spider Crane to Mobile Crawler Crane is probably to not alienate the kids and the arachnophobes out there,

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

36 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

TLG's decision to rename 42097 from Spider Crane to Mobile Crawler Crane is probably to not alienate the kids and the arachnophobes out there,

It was still described as "Spinnen-Kran" and "Grua aranha" on the box, among other names. Guess arachnophobia isn't a thing in Germany.

On 6/17/2021 at 11:30 PM, howitzer said:

The colour discussion in the Raptor topic got me thinking: I see a lot of Kobelco excavators around the construction sites and they are usually dark turquoise, so it might be nice to get such an excavator, maybe even licensed, at some point. It's a nice colour, but currently with very limited parts palette, though it has been used in other themes like Mindstorms before so some important parts do exist.

I sure hope they won't make the cylinders/actuators used in such a model the same turquoise colour. :)

Based on previous set lineups, there should be a Volvo model every two year and a big front loader every four year. 2022 falls into both patterns, so I guess there will be a big Volvo loader-ish next year. But since TLG doesn't repeat themselves, I don't think we're gonna get a remastered 42030 with C+ slapped on it. That'd be boring.

I think TLG will do a log handler, either a L180 or L250.

volvo-l-f-hl-log-loader-handling-logs-ky

This thing can feature the black gear quadrants previously seen in 42100 and the alleged new linear actuator in black from the upcoming 42131.

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Based on previous set lineups, there should be a Volvo model every two year and a big front loader every four year. 2022 falls into both patterns, so I guess there will be a big Volvo loader-ish next year. But since TLG doesn't repeat themselves, I don't think we're gonna get a remastered 42030 with C+ slapped on it. That'd be boring.

I think TLG will do a log handler, either a L180 or L250.

volvo-l-f-hl-log-loader-handling-logs-ky

This thing can feature the black gear quadrants previously seen in 42100 and the alleged new linear actuator in black from the upcoming 42131.

Interesting speculation, I also expect a Volvo model next year, but my hopes are for a tracked excavator (maybe a  demolition excavator?) because all Volvo models made up to know are wheeled and I would like something different...

44 minutes ago, mpj said:

Interesting speculation, I also expect a Volvo model next year, but my hopes are for a tracked excavator (maybe a  demolition excavator?) because all Volvo models made up to know are wheeled and I would like something different...

+1

1 hour ago, mpj said:

Hm...we had front end loader (flagship in 2014), excavator (wheeled and not flagship in 2016), futuristic front end loader (non flagship in 2018) and hauler (flagship in 2020), so probably something wheeld and let's say non flagship model. There is also tracked skid steer that could be smaller set...

As the pneumatics with 1x11 cylinders returns this year and the CAT-license available, is there a possibility for a grader as an A-model? :wub: 

13 minutes ago, Jundis said:

As the pneumatics with 1x11 cylinders returns this year and the CAT-license available, is there a possibility for a grader as an A-model? :wub: 

That would be perfect with 68.7x27 tires :wub:

And Volvo is making them :wub:

I still wish for this monster as a great Flagship model... (any brand/maker)

Please Lego please 🙏🙏🙏 

72169854_images(8).jpeg.146eeabf1d97e2a4f54b585209654fba.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Indeed, graders is something LEGO never made as an A-model and would be a breath of fresh air amongst all the excavators and front-end loaders. Scrapers are also something missing from the A-model ranks.