Just now, nicjasno said:

I volunteer to design it.

To design tire? :laugh:

We need more narrow tire...like 30mm or less ...and tumbler tire is wide enough...for 1:8 model car it represents 355mm wide tire...

Just now, nicjasno said:

To design a lego F1 car.

Aha...but new regulations from 2022 will feature 18" tires, so more narrow tires will be appropriate like on silver champion...

...actually with lower profile, not narrow...

...actually with lower profile, not narrow...

Land rover wheels in front, bugatti wheels in back, just rim design needs to be unified, so they have that big inset, where all the suspension components can be.

1 hour ago, nicjasno said:

Land rover wheels in front, bugatti wheels in back, just rim design needs to be unified, so they have that big inset, where all the suspension components can be.

That is the solution....

1 hour ago, AVCampos said:

You got it.

I mean a proper a reach stacker with proper paneling and flagship treatment and Unimog tyres and possibly license and possibly RC.

It doesn't need to be licensed to have an interesting design and functionality. In fact, licensing can restrict the designer's creativity, not to mention the whole Osprey controversy...

2 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Authenticity!

Licence = pseudo "authenticity" that's only skin deep

Mechanical accuracy/realism = real authenticity

:grin:

4 hours ago, allanp said:

Licence = pseudo "authenticity" that's only skin deep

Mechanical accuracy/realism = real authenticity

:grin:

True, but sometimes a licence can lend a set more authenticity and detail when done right. 42053 is a case in point.

31 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

True, but sometimes a licence can lend a set more authenticity and detail when done right. 42053 is a case in point.

Isn't excavators one of the things TLG has managed to get right most of the time though? Even before licensing and 42053 I mean.

11 minutes ago, zoo said:

Isn't excavators one of the things TLG has managed to get right most of the time though? Even before licensing and 42053 I mean.

Also true, but 42053 took that further, right down to the cab interior.

13 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

That is true, 42053, the Arocs and the Unimog are all great examples of this. But then there is also 42030, 42114, the Sian and the defender that go against this. So I'm not sure there is any correlation to show licenced sets having more real authenticity. But like you say, when they are done right then a license can bring more real authenticity. It's just not a sign that it will.

Edited by allanp

12 hours ago, zoo said:

Not in terms of mechanical realism. 42053 is possibly the only exception, like ever. You might be thinking of sets like 42100 and 8043? 42100 did bring us a lot of new parts, it moves smoothly and powerfully on its tracks and it's arm is strong. But I can't say that it was ever meant to show how the real thing works mechanically. It's still an impressively well engineered beast though. 8043 on the other hand just does nothing for me. No mechanical realism, weak, slow, jerky/wobbly movements and no new parts for the time. 

@allanp What do you think that the EH160, Arocs and Unimog licenses brought to the set, that the Sian, Defender and A60H licenses didn't?

1 hour ago, allanp said:

Not in terms of mechanical realism.

Well, since the real machines use hydraulics, (almost?) every function with a linear actuator is unrealistic and 'overcomplicated'. For remote controlled models, like the 42100, linear actuators are nonetheless the better choice I think, but for manual operation, I do not realy see the benefits (Yes, the movements are the easiest to control, but controlling the manual pump and valves is also fun).

I stumbled upon the ads for these custom models on AliExpress. They look really good. If I hadnt known in advance they are custom design I would have thought they were Lego MOCS. I do wish to see official small Technic models like this. Given that TLG has never released a Technic steamroller, I've always wondered how they are gonna provide the design solution for the rolling cylinder in the front. The custom steam roller may provide a potential approach.

Engineering-Vehicle-Model-Building-Block

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen