On 8/23/2019 at 11:39 AM, suffocation said:

A four-axle crane with this kind of motorised dual steering, even scaled to Unimog tyres, is definitely feasible

My 5-axle crane has a crab steer system. But the axles are not driven, and it has a rather un-orthodox way of achieving it that doesn't scale well. You can check the instructions to see how it's done, but it's basically: the first and last axles are controlled separately, and a beam running below the whole model is used to interpolate the angles for the other axles. It only works for relatively small/light models.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-8316/ErikLeppen/five-axle-crane

On a meeting I once saw a proof-of-concept by someone who used linkages to do a 4-axle steering system using 62.4 tyres, where the 1st and last axle were controlled and the others interpolated. I can't remember who the builder was though...

I want the next model in the truck + trailer series (42078, 42098) to be the Technic version of 10244 Fairground Mixer.

8 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I want the next model in the truck + trailer series (42078, 42098) to be the Technic version of 10244 Fairground Mixer.

Next years entertainer perhaps?

7 minutes ago, allanp said:

Next years entertainer perhaps?

Entertainer is the first set in 2H, so it most likely has less than 1000 pieces.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Seeing the emerging trend of licensed motorbikes, and the slow but steady electrification of the automotive industry, how about this as next motorbike set? Recognizable, cool looking yet very innovative and futuristic: Ideal for Technic, right?

I love that hubless rear wheel...:wub:

32 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

I’d like to see C+ sets using pneumatic auto valves

+1

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen it yet... 

31 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

I’d like to see C+ sets using pneumatic auto valves

I think autovalves (combined valve and compressor from one motor) are good for small models, but for larger models more pumps are needed, so better to have a dedicated motor for a larger multi-pump compressor. But at this point I'd be happy for any pneumatic set!

2 hours ago, allanp said:

I think autovalves (combined valve and compressor from one motor) are good for small models, but for larger models more pumps are needed, so better to have a dedicated motor for a larger multi-pump compressor. But at this point I'd be happy for any pneumatic set!

But each valve would still need its own motor, so if anything having a separate compressor would be even more expensive

2 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

But each valve would still need its own motor, so if anything having a separate compressor would be even more expensive

That's true, but personally I'd prefer to pay a little extra to get better performance and realism.

I wish more pneumatic models had used an air tank. Why didn't they? They cost implications are surely fairly slight, and on more recent larger models there has certainly been space (and it could be made to look like a fuel tank on a truck).

12 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Seeing the emerging trend of licensed motorbikes, and the slow but steady electrification of the automotive industry, how about this as next motorbike set? Recognizable, cool looking yet very innovative and futuristic: Ideal for Technic, right?

I love that hubless rear wheel...:wub:

It would be interesting if TLG released an electric/hybrid model with a fake electric motor; that is, something simillar to the classic fake piston engine, but with a brick-built rotor connected to the drivetrain that spins when you move the model.

In fact, the 42115 could get something simillar if it's the Sian (since it's hybrid).

Technically it would not add that much, just a big cylinder (=rotor) rotating inside a tube (=stator). Not as fancy as crankshaft with moving pistons. But it would free up space inside models for other technical stuff when there is no engine block in the way. And it would set a precedence for LEGO buyers/builders: the future is here, not just as an expensive car for business lease drivers, but also in your own little toys! 

On 2/6/2020 at 11:11 PM, Rudivdk said:

Technically it would not add that much, just a big cylinder (=rotor) rotating inside a tube (=stator). Not as fancy as crankshaft with moving pistons. But it would free up space inside models for other technical stuff when there is no engine block in the way. And it would set a precedence for LEGO buyers/builders: the future is here, not just as an expensive car for business lease drivers, but also in your own little toys!  

This would obviously be more expensive, but if they could build a very low resistance (low current) dynamo into such a unit with some blue leds or perhaps some spark points, then rotating the fake electric motor would yield some blue light effects, which should get the "hey, this thing uses electricity" point acros. That said, im affraid such a part would be quite expensive.

Still, im interested to see how they will incorporate the hybrid concept into the Sian set. Ive contemplated building LMP style hybrid systems with a pullback motor and some complex clutch setup to switch from brake/"charge, to blocking and decoupling the motor, to re-engaging it with flipped rotation to put the power back into the wheels, but i dont see Lego doing something like that.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:11 PM, Rudivdk said:

... And it would set a precedence for LEGO buyers/builders: the future is here, not just as an expensive car for business lease drivers, but also in your own little toys! 

I'd love to set another precedent for Technic, also aligning with the modern theme of saving the planet, a set where the primary model is an animal.  We have had the occasional dinosaur (8485 3rd model) but not much else.  The chance of having realistic movements and also fitting the functions/cost and parts/cost that we expect of the best vehicle sets.  Might attract more people to Technic too.

My first is Nemo, a scaled-up clown fish with motorised fins, fin-fold, tail, mouth & gills and manual tilt, turn and anemone.

48cm long, aiming for the same price point as Porsche 42056 or Off Road Buggy 42099.  Compatible with PF and PU.

0_nemo_eyes_2mp.jpg_thumb.jpg

Mark

20 minutes ago, Brickthus said:

I'd love to set another precedent for Technic, also aligning with the modern theme of saving the planet, a set where the primary model is an animal.  We have had the occasional dinosaur (8485 3rd model) but not much else.  The chance of having realistic movements and also fitting the functions/cost and parts/cost that we expect of the best vehicle sets.  Might attract more people to Technic too.

My first is Nemo, a scaled-up clown fish with motorised fins, fin-fold, tail, mouth & gills and manual tilt, turn and anemone.

TLG did that already. It's called Forma, and it flopped.

9 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

TLG did that already. It's called Forma, and it flopped.

Not helped by the fact that you could only buy it in 1-2 countries ...

4 hours ago, vectormatic said:

This would obviously be more expensive, but if they could build a very low resistance (low current) dynamo into such a unit with some blue leds or perhaps some spark points, then rotating the fake electric motor would yield some blue light effects, which should get the "hey, this thing uses electricity" point acros. That said, im affraid such a part would be quite expensive.

The return of Fiber Optics... Don't see it happening, although something like this would definitely enhance the play value.

Maybe they can do a blue version of the light brick (this or this) and hook the trigger up to the rotation of the wheels so it blinks at an interval relative to the wheels rotation speed? Barcode Multi-Set had a similar feature in the garbage truck where it would play an engine sound at three increasing speed rates relative to the vehicle speed...

14 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

The return of Fiber Optics... Don't see it happening, although something like this would definitely enhance the play value.

Maybe they can do a blue version of the light brick (this or this) and hook the trigger up to the rotation of the wheels so it blinks at an interval relative to the wheels rotation speed? Barcode Multi-Set had a similar feature in the garbage truck where it would play an engine sound at three increasing speed rates relative to the vehicle speed...

Not really fiber optics, just an integrated dynamo/led unit, spin the input, get a blue glow/spark effect through the transparent plastic to signify a connection between movement and electricity.

I dont see it happening either, as im not sure if it is possible to do this low-resistance enough, or durable enough for lego sets, but it is the first and most obvious way i can think off to simulate an electric motor in a technic set, in the same way that the cylinder/piston parts simulate a combustion engine. I dont think lego motors are up the task of actually moving a 1:8 sized car very well, and chucking disposable batteries at a set like that seems a bit meh anyway.

4 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

but it is the first and most obvious way i can think off to simulate an electric motor in a technic set, in the same way that the cylinder/piston parts simulate a combustion engine

Well, since the cylinder engine parts in LEGO did not include any reference to/resemblance of the spark/combustion part of a combustion engine, I fear that an electric motor will be nothing more than some brick built unit (similar to 42056 exhaust mufflers)without any moving or lighting parts at all...

Hmmm... thinking of this: electric motor = no gearbox needed... so than only suspension is left as car 'function' for future electric cars in Technic... and what part of the UCS cars is the biggest source for complaints...: yes, suspension.... Let's hope TLG sticks to combustion engine models for a good while...

52 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Well, since the cylinder engine parts in LEGO did not include any reference to/resemblance of the spark/combustion part of a combustion engine, I fear that an electric motor will be nothing more than some brick built unit (similar to 42056 exhaust mufflers)without any moving or lighting parts at all...

Hmmm... thinking of this: electric motor = no gearbox needed... so than only suspension is left as car 'function' for future electric cars in Technic... and what part of the UCS cars is the biggest source for complaints...: yes, suspension.... Let's hope TLG sticks to combustion engine models for a good while...

Hmm, just a car with some grey box connected to the wheels (wouldnt even need a diff if you have a per-wheel motor setup) would be terribly boring. Thankfully, i think combustion engines arent dead yet, and even once they stop being made, there are plenty of iconic cars to replicate.