The superstructure on a 6x6 crane with Unimog tyres would be something like this in terms of scale, I think. No issues whatsoever.

1280x648.jpg

Edited by suffocation

Besides, since it's RC, the new XL motors can hook up directly to various functions anyway, so no worries about whether there are sufficient power to drive such a behemoth.

On another note, I also imagine that the XL LA can appear in a road grader with tractor tires like this.

3DGrader8.jpg1181B131-9AD0-4624-9A06-716

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I think the next "Technic with the highest piece count ever" is gonna be a RC 6-wheeler or 8-wheeler mobile crane, with Unimog tyres and a maximum boom height of 1.2 meters.

And a lifting capacity of 100 grammes?

2 hours ago, AVCampos said:

Would a mobile crane with the size and weight to be in scale with Unimog tyres work well with the limitations of plastic LEGO elements? We know, for example, that the 42055 and the 42082 are at the limit of what can be done.

...and it would have 10 000 parts?

Perhaps 6 wheeled would be maximum using crane boom like 42082 set?

3 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I think the next "Technic with the highest piece count ever" is gonna be a RC 6-wheeler or 8-wheeler mobile crane, with Unimog tyres and a maximum boom height of 1.2 meters. RC-izing things is a surefire way to boost part count, and making sets in the Unimog scale is gonna do that further. I can imagine 8 functions like:

- Drive
- Steer
- Outrigger stage 1
- Outrigger stage 2
- Superstructure rotation
- Boom lifting
- Boom extending
- Winch

Pretty much similar to Jurgen's ultimate 42009.

Why do you think that? And why should I be exited for it? I don't see anything here that hasn't been done before and that I couldn't already build myself with the parts I already have. You even mentioned Jurgens ultimate 42009 as proof that we've already seen this before. I'm not trying to say your idea is bad, I'm sure it could be made into a great Technic set. But to my mind it isn't about piece count as much as it's about how well it's high price is justified. And it isn't about what a model can do as much as it's about how it does it in terms of mechanical realism and performance. So how would you make it justify it's new record piece count (and price)? How would you make it more mechanically authentic and perform better? Just saying what it could be is kinda meaningless. It could be anything. I want to know why it should or will be and why I should be exited for it.

4 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

On another note, I also imagine that the XL LA can appear in a road grader with tractor tires like this.

IMHO it would be better to base grader on 62.4 truck tires, so midsize set based on truck tires that could fit last year's 42079 set could be very interesting. It does not have to be 4000+ parts set to be cool set

@allanp I don't know, why do I have to justify it for you and make you excited for it? Maybe TLG can make that happen, maybe not, and I don't know. It's not like I'm trying to persuade people into liking my ideas. I'm just thinking out loud what the next big thing might be, since TLG lately keeps pushing for sets with higher and higher piece count, to make a set appealing or marketable or sth. And as I noted, two certain ways to beef up a model and turn it into the next "set with the highest piece count" are scale it to the biggest tyre size possible and turn it into RC.

Like:

- Scale a wheel loader to the biggest tyre size possible and add RC -> Done (42030)
- Scale a tow truck to the biggest tyre size possible and add RC -> Done (42070)
- Scale a tracked excavator to the biggest size possible and add RC -> Done, twice (42055 and 42100). Maybe once more in the future with a bucket chain excavator.
- Scale a mobile crane to the biggest tyre size possible and add RC -> Only partially done with the scale (42082)

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

How about a crane that implements this type of dual steering mechanism (standard/crab)? I still can't quite figure out how it works, by the way, so any explanations are welcome.

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

@allanp I don't know, why do I have to justify it for you and make you excited for it? Maybe TLG can make that happen, maybe not, and I don't know. It's not like I'm trying to persuade people into liking my ideas. I'm just thinking out loud what the next big thing might be, since TLG lately keeps pushing for sets with higher and higher piece count, to make a set appealing or marketable or sth. And as I noted, two certain ways to beef up a model and turn it into the next "set with the highest piece count" are scale it to the biggest tyre size possible and turn it into RC.

Like:

- Scale a wheel loader to the biggest tyre size possible and add RC -> Done (42030)
- Scale a tow truck to the biggest tyre size possible and add RC -> Done (42070)
- Scale a tracked excavator to the biggest size possible and add RC -> Done, twice (42055 and 42100). Maybe once more in the future with a bucket chain excavator.
- Scale a mobile crane to the biggest tyre size possible and add RC -> Only done with the scale part (42082)

Well because this is the wishes and speculation thread. If it's a wish it would be nice to know more details about what's good about it. If it's just pure speculation then sorry I didn't realise you were just thinking out loud. My bad :blush: 

Edited by allanp

1 hour ago, suffocation said:

How about a crane that implements this type of dual steering mechanism (standard/crab)? I still can't quite figure out how it works, by the way, so any explanations are welcome

Apart from the steering (which is very complicated indeed), you can see exactly the limitations of lego in this very model: It needs the old full rubber tires to withstand the pressure according to the whole weight of this behemoth. Even as a fan of big sets like the upcoming 42100, models like this crane you showed (part counts 10.000++) will never be released as a regular 'play' set.

Back to topic: I hope for some sort of "Technic Classics" sets. I don't mean a new interpretation of old sets but more like a steam roller or a old 3-wheeled tractors. These types of machinery are more bare-boned and mechanics are way more visible compared to modern vehicles. TLG can repeat that Lego is just for kids, but they know for sure the financial power of AFOLs.

In terms of the number of RC functions:

- Flagship sets with 4 RC functions: Done. (8275, 42030)

- Flagship sets with 6 RC functions: Done. (8043, 42070)

- Flagship sets with 7 RC functions: Done. (42100, and 8043 as well if you count the mode switch)

So to top that TLG will need type of models that have 7 or 8 possible RC functions. RC mobile crane is one of those. I've also just thought of RC Wheeled Excavator and RC Backhoe.

Imagine the 42053 with Unimog / Claas tyres and full RC. 8 functions: Steer, Drive, Front Blade, Rear Outriggers, Rotate, and 3 movements of the arm.

A full-RC tow truck would have at least a dozen motorised functions. Make it off-road with locking diffs and you're up to at least 14.

8 hours ago, suffocation said:

I wasn't suggesting a set that size, I was suggesting a set with that kind of dual steering :wall:

I know, thats why I said: "Apart from steering..." ;-) 

But this kind of crab steering (although with just 4 wheels) has been done with the 42054. It's way more complicated with more axles because the turning angle of each one is a little different though...  

Yep, it's more complex (not complicated) than what was done with 42054, and it can be done as proven in the video. A four-axle crane with this kind of motorised dual steering, even scaled to Unimog tyres, is definitely feasible within TLG standards: the carrier would be, size-wise, pretty much the same as 42082 (four axles versus two but completely different spacing) whereas the superstructure would be a dozen or so studs longer. Depending on the model's level of motorisation you'd land anywhere between 4 and 5 kg, which with the proper design can be steered by an M motor geared down 1:9, as I discovered with test runs on this setup (up to around half a kg of ballast was added during tests):

1280x639.jpg

Edited by suffocation

@suffocation if you continue to build this mobile crane, you'll end up like me in 1:15 scale...but I think TLC has some predefined scales like 1:20 where Xerion, Mack and 42009 set fits so it is highly unlikely that TLC makes crane in such scale. RTC has in reality 1855mm big tires, so you can calculate scale.. 

BTW your chassis looks very interesting to me.

Regards

Instant buys for me would include:

•  a GBC starter pack where different module ideas were proposed and discussed with a lot of different bricks. but also just about any other GBC TLG might want to actually produce themselves.
  • machinery akin to the weaving loom or the braiding machine produced by other users on these fora.

In general, I would prefer to see some kits that are not construction equipment or vehicles.

21 minutes ago, Runeman said:

In general, I would prefer to see some kits that are not construction equipment or vehicles.

Agreed.

Another such possibility would be animals. Grohl's single-set MOCs show that Technic animals are feasible.

You want them to adventure past cars and machinery when they are still trying to get proper steering and suspension :devil_laugh:

22 hours ago, Runeman said:

Instant buys for me would include:

•  a GBC starter pack where different module ideas were proposed and discussed with a lot of different bricks. but also just about any other GBC TLG might want to actually produce themselves.
  • machinery akin to the weaving loom or the braiding machine produced by other users on these fora.

GBC starter pack with ideabook for additional modules would be really nice, but I don't think it'll happen. A proper GBC would need a mains connected power source, nobody wants to run it on batteries and since it's stationary (unlike cars etc.), batteries wouldn't even make sense. At the very least it would need an easily rechargeable battery pack.

But yeah, anything that's not a vehicle or construction equipment is on my wishlist too.

Edited by howitzer
Accidental posting before finished typing

On 8/23/2019 at 2:05 PM, AVCampos said:

Agreed.

Another such possibility would be animals. Grohl's single-set MOCs show that Technic animals are feasible.

That would be really sweet, specially considering that 12 years ago TLG released a WALKING RC dino (yeah, 4-legged but still, it walked and looked amazing). Never understood why 4958 didn't have a Technic equivalent.

4958-1.png

I have the 4958 Dinosaur. Great selection of bricks, but disappointing functions. I was so hyped when I got this thing for chrismas when i was like 9 years old, and it was fun to build, but I was sooo disappointed when I realized there was no way to walk curves, so it got killed pretty quickly for parts. Yeah, I was pretty naive back then, but I just assumed you could change directions because being able to walk would be pretty useless without it :hmpf_bad:.