22 hours ago, Aanchir said:

While as a child I never fulfilled my insanely ambitious dream of making a fully articulated, life size humanoid Mindstorms robot (and probably couldn't manage to do so even today, seeing as neither mechanical engineering nor programming has ever been my strong suit), there's still a part of me that would love to see LEGO dabble in more of this type of lifeform-inspired build in their more function-heavy themes.

This reminds me of the two-legged mech model in idea book 8891.

On 4/27/2019 at 9:44 AM, jonwil said:

I would love to see a Lamborghini in the same size as the Porsche and Bugatti with the same functionality and level of detail. Make it in yellow please.

Or heck, do a Lamborghini in the same size as the Mustang. Or even a Speed Champions Lambo. I dont care what size it is, I just want a Lambo for my collection that doesn't require paying the obscene aftermarket prices for the old Gallardo.

A Lambo, a Le Mans Audi hybrid, A Koenigsegg, A Lycan... 

On 4/27/2019 at 4:44 PM, suffocation said:

A wood-fired pizza oven.

:laugh::laugh:

On 4/27/2019 at 3:24 PM, Mechbuilds said:

... Lego technic madmax?

Wonderful thought in my opinion... I immediately thought about something based on The Crawler.... :devil_laugh:

On 4/27/2019 at 10:26 AM, MxWinters said:

Maybe I'm being a little old fashioned here but I'd love to see LEGO make some kind of Scammell truck. Something like the Scammell Explorer below.
scamell2.jpg

Although Scammell no longer exist, I think the brand is now owned by DAF, who rather predictably bought Scammell just to eliminate competition. Scammell made some awesome trucks back in the day. They're off-road ability was way beyond anything any other company like Volvo, Atkinson, ERF or Scania where able to do. Scammell also where the first company to use portal axles, the first to introduce baffles in liquid tanker trailers along with many other firsts.

Scammell also made the Scammell Scarab which was a mini 3 wheeled artic lorry, another one I'd like to see LEGO make.
1280px-Scamell_1_db.jpg

Personally, I really loved the Scammell, just look at those axles! And with the planetary hubs?? Wow... Just wow...

On 4/27/2019 at 1:04 PM, allanp said:

I can't think for a moment, cos I've already though about it :grin: But without trying to think too much more!

Forklift: With 2 CONTROL+ hubs. New parts include a new 16 stud long pneumatic cylinder for the central piston to lift the forks via a chain and a pair of 32 stud long pneumatic cylinders to telescope the vertical side rails, giving a total lifting height of around 60 studs. Would also come with a new mini servo motor (about 5x3x2) with 10 steps of rotation totalling about 40 degrees either side of 0 (to give fine 4 degree steps), to mate perfectly with the new pneumatic valves. Other features include automatic compressor (by automatically turning on when any of the servos that control the valves are operated), tilting forks, sideways movement/adjustment of the forks, horn and steering. The fun of RC combined with real authentic mechanics. 

LR_160D9L_134.png

JCB 3CX. Non RC. Features new 81.6mm class type tyres for the front and 1 motor going to a 3 position gearbox (drive forward, drive reverse, multi pump compressor). Driving forward and reverse would be slow enough that you can still comfortably control the steering (like the barcode truck from 1997). Like the real thing it would also have 4 forward and 4 reverse gears, 4 wheel drive with planetary gear reduction and steering. Pneumatic functions include raising/lowering the front bucket, tilting the front bucket, opening/closing the front bucket, raising/lowering the rear stabilisers,  Back hoe side shift, back hoe swing left/right, back hoe first section raise/lower, back hoe second section raise/lower, back hoe second section telescope in/out, back hoe bucket. So with about 15 cylinders powering 10 functions, 8455 is sent shaking in the corner!

3CX-Backhoe-Loader-JCB.jpg

Classic Land Rover defender 110. Features new 94.3mm diameter authentic wheels and tires with deep offset wheels to allow the steering pivot inside the wheel. CONTROL+ with new powerful motor, similar to buggy motor performance. New metal suspension leafs, can be stacked to make harder or softer, authentic leaf spring suspension for trucks and all sorts of vehicles. No gear reduction at the wheels (because that's unrealistic) but instead has a new much stronger differential gear and CV joints. Ackermann steering geometry, live axles, realistic main gearbox with 5 forward and 1 reverse gear with more sizes of dog clutch gears (remote controlled via CONTROL+), realistic transfer gearbox with transmission break (remote controlled via CONTROL+) and fake engine and realistic drop link steering linkage. I know something similar is coming, and with 3 RC sets already this year there really isn't much room for yet another. I will take it as it comes but those considerations aside, this is how I would choose to take my Landrover!

41hVn7y6yQL.jpg  

Classic American fire truck. Features lots of chrome and exterior detail, chrome wheels and leaf spring suspension. Striking red, white and chrome colour scheme with black or white pneumatic cylinders to raise the ladder, and the really long pneumatic cylinders from the above forklift idea, but in black or white to telescope the ladder up above one meter in height. New axle connector pieces enable the building of strong but authentic looking triangular lattice frame works as seen on the ladders of these fire trucks as well as tower cranes and so on. Also comes with lights as well as a new flashing light beacon, siren/horn, new tile piece with moulded checker plate texture in chrome, pneumatic stabilisers, fake engine, steering and roller shutter storage compartments (possibly made from Lego city garage doors?) containing the pneumatic valve controls and other details like gauges and fire hose reals and so on.

Dsg_Gainesville_Fire_Truck_20050507.jpg

I have lots more ideas, but a meter long pneumatic flying Scotsman or a massive working pirate ship ride would probably be better suited to the creator line and a Bell helicopter with a new swash plate allowing for authentic cyclic and collective control and tail rotor pitch control wouldn't need the 16+ age rating.

Dear @allanp,

I most loved the American Fire Truck possibility. That would judt be AWESOME. :drooling:

On 4/27/2019 at 8:09 PM, I_Igor said:

Ladies and gentlemen, please do not get me wrong; @Idrissince you are relatively new member I want to point you also that there is already topic that could be used for this matter

I do not want to sound or even act to be (just example) @Jim, but IMHO we should first look more detailed on Eurobricks to see if our question fits in some topic instead of starting new one which happened to be a kind of subtopic...

Regards to you all

You are perfectly right @I_Igor, I looked but but couldn't find a topic like I created, maybe it's because of the search-engine, or because I am a newbie.

I'll be more thorough, next time, sorry everyone! And @Jim, thank you for merging the topics.

Best Regards,

Idris

By the way, how about the LARGE Rover, in the movie, The Martian? 

30 minutes ago, Idris said:

Personally, I really loved the Scammell, just look at those axles! And with the planetary hubs?? Wow... Just wow...

No, they didn't use planetary hubs just portal axles. See the LDD image below which shows how Scammell got such massive suspension travel, something like 4 feet of travel I think.

58626014_415336325948395_898767240067809

Edited by MxWinters

I have also almost always thought about a LEGO Technic type human or humanoid figure.

I mean a real large humanoid figure (like at least 70-85 cm tall).

What do you think? (Or did LEGO Technic produced such a product, that I don't know?)

Best Regards,

Idris

9 minutes ago, MxWinters said:

I believe the axles on the Scammell Explorer would be portal axles. See the LDD image below which shows how Scammell got such massive suspension travel, something like 4 feet of travel I think.

58626014_415336325948395_898767240067809

Perfect portal axles, however, what about the independency of the axles? Should there be some kind of spring suspension? And also maybe independent differentials? I thought something "based" on the 42070 6*6 with different front axles and suspension and I( think I am going off the roof now but), pneumatic supports when a wheel lifts off of the ground to push it down?

Edited by Idris

Since this a topic, also including "speculations", I do not wan't to create another topic and once again act like a newbie but another question comes to my mind, as well.

Don't you think LEGO Technic should switch to metal parts in at least some of its sets, especially including cogwheels and strings (cords), especially for sets 16+?

What for? Well especially for power purposes.

As you perfectly know the plastics of LEGO have different hardness levels and many plastics are very strong or at least "bend-but-not-break-easily".

Why not combine this with metal parts? (Aluminium alloys, with around F25 hardness, maybe in some special sets and very key areas, titanium?) Including chains?

What do you think?

Would that be contrary to the concept of LEGO, or LEGO Technic, or would that improve the sets?

Finally, the batteries... Wouldn't a rechargable high performance and capacity Li-Ion large battery be better than using 6-12 even more (especially for MOCs) 1,5V batteries?

(Yes, I speak a lot :classic: )

Best Regards,

Idris

Pneumatic cylinders and big linear actuators have metal structure inside, so it is combination of metal and plastic, beside that human kind produces so much plastic that it is better that plastic stays in LEGO than to have plastic food :cry_sad:

5 hours ago, Idris said:

Perfect portal axles, however, what about the independency of the axles? Should there be some kind of spring suspension? And also maybe independent differentials? I thought something "based" on the 42070 6*6 with different front axles and suspension and I( think I am going off the roof now but), pneumatic supports when a wheel lifts off of the ground to push it down?

Yes there is a leafspring on the differential so it can move around and the gearbox on the portal axle can move up and down like a seesaw. I found this GIF of the Pioneer that shows how the portal axle moves.
walkingbeam2.gif

Each of the two near-side wheels are coupled together and the two off-side wheel are coupled together. All four rear wheels are connected to one differential. The Scammell Pioneer was rear wheel drive but the Explorer had a driven front axle, both lorries used the same portal axle on the rear. Nope, no pneumatics or hydraulics involved.

The image below was a stunt that Scammell did to show off what the Pioneer could do.
Scammellupwall.jpg

Edited by MxWinters

I wish that Lego could make SUV supercar. Would love to see Lamborghini Urus, especially in those yellow colours.Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania lamborghini urus

And of course I would love to see some licensed F1 car, especially that Ferrari concept racer. 

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania ferrari f1 concept

On 4/28/2019 at 10:41 PM, I_Igor said:

Pneumatic cylinders and big linear actuators have metal structure inside, so it is combination of metal and plastic, beside that human kind produces so much plastic that it is better that plastic stays in LEGO than to have plastic food :cry_sad:

I definitely agree. And I also support the use of plastics as LEGO plastics. I only thought of using metal in certain parts (as you have stated) in specific parts of LEGO  Technic sets..

On 4/28/2019 at 10:53 PM, MxWinters said:

Yes there is a leafspring on the differential so it can move around and the gearbox on the portal axle can move up and down like a seesaw. I found this GIF of the Pioneer that shows how the portal axle moves.
walkingbeam2.gif

Each of the two near-side wheels are coupled together and the two off-side wheel are coupled together. All four rear wheels are connected to one differential. The Scammell Pioneer was rear wheel drive but the Explorer had a driven front axle, both lorries used the same portal axle on the rear. Nope, no pneumatics or hydraulics involved.

The image below was a stunt that Scammell did to show off what the Pioneer could do.
Scammellupwall.jpg

@MxWinters, many many thanks for this very informative reply and comment, I thought I was reading Wikipedia for a moment. I really appreciate that.

In my view Scammell produced very innovative systems for extreme off-road trucks. But today, with pneumatics and sensors and partial metal cogwheels and differentials, even LEGO Technic can produce even more “jaw-dropping” sets, than of Scammell’s trucks, and maybe DAF can give a “green light” for it..

Personally, I am a LEGO Technic fan, who would love to see it go “really” off-road, RC and even waterproof with powerful cogwheels, suspension and differentials.

Larger wheels, cleverer axle and suspensions and even more powerful motors with rechargable batteries.

Yes, I always support the idea that some LEGO Technic sets, stay as movable figures and stay as an almost masterpiece work of art; however, being able to play with them in almost real-life terrains (let them go into mud, water, snow, pebbles, etc. and then being able to WASH/CLEAN  them afterwards) would be an incredible “leap forwards”, in my opinion. 

Even a few “rare”, or say, “legendary” sets, would be enough (limited edition, ultimate collectors’ edition etc.)

The Liebherr R9800 gives me “hope”...

Anyways, many many thanks again for your most appreciated contribution to this topic/thread and of course, I would like to have your opinions regarding the above..

Best Regards,

Idris

22 hours ago, Jaromir said:

I have said this before but I really hope that they release a scaled F1 or Indycar, really any open wheel, because new parts are needed so that we don't break parts. For example my Mclaren Indycar had about the best front suspension I could get without new pieces and it was still pretty soft. Point is, they could use it to release new A-arms parts, pushrods, shock rockers, new wheels rims/tires, and even panels. Racing fans would buy the set for the model while Lego fans would buy it for the parts. In my opinion a win-win.

2 minutes ago, JackBloomer5 said:

I have said this before but I really hope that they release a scaled F1 or Indycar, really any open wheel, because new parts are needed so that we don't break parts. For example my Mclaren Indycar had about the best front suspension I could get without new pieces and it was still pretty soft. Point is, they could use it to release new A-arms parts, pushrods, shock rockers, new wheels rims/tires, and even panels. Racing fans would buy the set for the model while Lego fans would buy it for the parts. In my opinion a win-win.

I agree, but do you think it should be RC with motors (please do not think about the classic 6*1,5V AA battery “holder”, even not the signal receiver, think about a very small receiver and a flat but rechargable 10.000 mAH battery, giving more than 9V) or be a non-powered model marvel?

I don't think it should be RC but should be designed to be easily RCd because of price. If they treated it like a 42056 or 42083, they could pack it full of functions; transmission, DRS, suspension, and realistic bodywork. If they made it RC I think that would drive away the racing fans who simply want to display it.  

23 hours ago, Jaromir said:

I wish that Lego could make SUV supercar. Would love to see Lamborghini Urus, especially in those yellow colours.Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania lamborghini urus

And of course I would love to see some licensed F1 car, especially that Ferrari concept racer. 

I think that the Lambo Urus may be a perfect selection for LEGO, since the vehicle resembles a vehicle which came out of LEGO sketchbooks...

Many many thanks for your contribution and,

Best Regards,

Idris

Just now, JackBloomer5 said:

I don't think it should be RC but should be designed to be easily RCd because of price. If they treated it like a 42056 or 42083, they could pack it full of functions; transmission, DRS, suspension, and realistic bodywork. If they made it RC I think that would drive away the racing fans who simply want to display it.  

Do you really think that? Why would LEGO Technic and racing fans would stay away from a RC model, if the RC system (including the motors, the battery pack and the IR receiver) did not “spoil” the model? (I am thinking of a brand new Power Functions system, especially in those super-detailed models, not the existing ones.) 

3 minutes ago, Idris said:

Do you really think that? Why would LEGO Technic and racing fans would stay away from a RC model, if the RC system (including the motors, the battery pack and the IR receiver) did not “spoil” the model? (I am thinking of a brand new Power Functions system, especially in those super-detailed models, not the existing ones.) 

Totally get your point and the new system could be cheaper, albeit doubtful. Do I think RC out of the box would be cool, absoluty. However consider this, the 42093 is 579 peices and is priced at $49.99 while the 42095 has 324 pieces but it twice the price. 

51 minutes ago, Idris said:

@MxWinters, many many thanks for this very informative reply and comment, I thought I was reading Wikipedia for a moment. I really appreciate that.

In my view Scammell produced very innovative systems for extreme off-road trucks. But today, with pneumatics and sensors and partial metal cogwheels and differentials, even LEGO Technic can produce even more “jaw-dropping” sets, than of Scammell’s trucks, and maybe DAF can give a “green light” for it..

Personally, I am a LEGO Technic fan, who would love to see it go “really” off-road, RC and even waterproof with powerful cogwheels, suspension and differentials.

Larger wheels, cleverer axle and suspensions and even more powerful motors with rechargable batteries.

Yes, I always support the idea that some LEGO Technic sets, stay as movable figures and stay as an almost masterpiece work of art; however, being able to play with them in almost real-life terrains (let them go into mud, water, snow, pebbles, etc. and then being able to WASH/CLEAN  them afterwards) would be an incredible “leap forwards”, in my opinion. 

Even a few “rare”, or say, “legendary” sets, would be enough (limited edition, ultimate collectors’ edition etc.)

The Liebherr R9800 gives me “hope”...

Anyways, many many thanks again for your most appreciated contribution to this topic/thread and of course, I would like to have your opinions regarding the above..

Best Regards,

Idris

No worries, if I have information that someone might be interested in, ill happily share it.
Indeed, Scammell and Britian as a whole were very innovative back in the day...when Britian actually made stuff, but the baby boomers thought that selling insurance, selling coffee and constantly going on strike for no good reason was far better and let our industries be swallowed up by other companies who did nothing other than closing our factories down so they could make more money for themselves. Scammell was swallowed up by DAF, English Electric was swallowed up by General Eletcric and Napier, who made the crazy but awesome Deltic engine (which I have a LEGO display model of (although its not my design)) which was fitted to the British Rail Class 55 Deltic, is now technically owned by Siemans. Now look as us, an overpopulated laughing stock of the world. Anyways, rant over.

If LEGO managed to get the likes of Mercedes and VW to agree to making licenced products. There is no reason why DAF wouldn't, its just up to LEGO to approch DAF with a contract. But the chances of LEGO making a deal with DAF to produce a Scammell is 0%. LEGO would take one look at a Scammell and think "no that's a lorry that was around in the 1920's, that way too old, we need to make modern vehicles to apparel to the younger generation". You just have to look at all the licenced products LEGO have make over the years, all of them were real life products around at the time LEGO made the licenced version. There's no chance LEGO would produce a model of a 1920's lorry despite how much I want them to.

Yeah, more life like wheels/tires or better suspension components would be nice. Waterproof motors/electical hardware don't matter to me but it would be nice. The thing I really want LEGO to sort out is better cogwheels, those with angles teeth to eliminate backlash when one has a large number of cogs in a gearbox or drive train. My lorry will moves like 3 inch due to the backlash...its annoying.

I only clean my LEGO when I tear a model apart or its there is so much dirt, I start shattering gears. I like my models getting dirty, it happens in real life. It shows that my models work hard. Clean LEGO = display models, dirty LEGO = LEGO that earns it's keep.

On 2/13/2019 at 7:18 PM, Void_S said:

Hi Attika, taking into account the usual ratios of planetary gears (in reduction mode, when the outer rim is stopped), the value is 1 + OuterTeeth / SolarInnerTeeth that is in about 2.5 - 5 range. I still believe that it's 1/4 or x4, as the most rigid assembly is possible when the idle and solar gears (and their axles) are the same. So, the outer radius = solar radius + idle diameter and it equals to solar radius*3 in this case. As the result, the ratio is 1 + 3solar / 1solar = 1 + 3 = 4. :wink:

1 to 5. Non of us seen this coming...:grin: Yet you were closer... 

( @Jim I'm like a caveman. If the video is inappropriate to post, please make the necessary steps. :ugh: )

This is absolutely INSANE!! OH MY GOD!!! This is the dream for Technic. After a nearly 3 year slump, the amazing of technic is back in a much more interesting and refined package.

@Attika thanks for posting!

But let’s try to keep the discussion in the appropriate topic.

I think the next "Technic with the highest piece count ever" is gonna be a RC 6-wheeler or 8-wheeler mobile crane, with Unimog tyres and a maximum boom height of 1.2 meters. RC-izing things is a surefire way to boost part count, and making sets in the Unimog scale is gonna do that further. I can imagine 8 functions like:

- Drive
- Steer
- Outrigger stage 1
- Outrigger stage 2
- Superstructure rotation
- Boom lifting
- Boom extending
- Winch

Pretty much similar to Jurgen's ultimate 42009.

Would a mobile crane with the size and weight to be in scale with Unimog tyres work well with the limitations of plastic LEGO elements? We know, for example, that the 42055 and the 42082 are at the limit of what can be done.

Just now, AVCampos said:

Would a mobile crane with the size and weight to be in scale with Unimog tyres work well with the limitations of plastic LEGO elements? We know, for example, that the 42055 and the 42082 are at the limit of what can be done.

Think of it as 42082 with one more axle, one more cab, slightly longer boom, XL LAs.

And the XL LA is gonna find its use somewhere anyway. The two appearances that come to my mind are the aforementioned mobile crane and an RC reach stacker.