2 hours ago, madcow said:

I am not sure if a new supercar similar to 8070 is on the way, but that would be my top choice. 8070 was my first Technic set and it opened the door for me as a builder due to it being a parts pack for the car I built years later. I really hope the line gives us another unlicensed supercar that makes for a great part donor and is under 200 USD. 

I loved 8070 but I would love that Lego stopped on cars for a bit ! It becomes way to repetitive !!! very little new functions and that is what lego is all about !!! Don't take me wrong, I think that the idea of the Bugatti & Porsche is absolutely brilliant as a "UCS-like" serie and one every 2 years seems like a great idea but as a general set... please no ! I don't see them making another car in 2019 as they still have the one from 2018 on sale and they would both concurrence each other, making for poor sales !

5 hours ago, Brick-Nick said:

I loved 8070 but I would love that Lego stopped on cars for a bit ! It becomes way to repetitive !!! very little new functions and that is what lego is all about !!! Don't take me wrong, I think that the idea of the Bugatti & Porsche is absolutely brilliant as a "UCS-like" serie and one every 2 years seems like a great idea but as a general set... please no ! I don't see them making another car in 2019 as they still have the one from 2018 on sale and they would both concurrence each other, making for poor sales !

I dont see 42077 being replaced next year, so no fears there.

But as for repetition, i think the porsche/chiron are exempt due to being a range of their own, but you have a point when it comes to 42000, 42039 and 42077. But as a massive fan of cars, id like to see the problem tackled the other way around. 42077 for instance should have had AWD and a 4 speed gearbox, that would have made it a distinctive set from the previous ones. As it stands it is much too simple in terms of driveline etc.. (mechanically, it is basically 42037, a much cheaper simpler set, in a rally suit)

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

@vectormatic Man 42077 was such a crap lazy set. It absolutely deserved AWD and a 4-speed gearbox. 

Agreed, i was extremely disappointed. Still ended up buying one for @Lox Lego's porsche Can-am C-model. Im currently in the process of building the A-model so i can mod the crap out of it though, AWD is first on the list, because it quite simply isnt a rally car without that.

My guess would be that a 4-speed would have put it too close to the porsche in terms of features for lego's comfort though, and a 2 speed wouldve been a bit weird. In the end the set is quite lacking though, just putting in AWD would have made it on par for the price to me.

This is kinda what I've been saying. It doesn't matter if it's another car or crane or whatever, so long as it brings something new to that price point. 42077 might have had a transverse engine with 4wd and McPherson strut suspension and 4 speed gearbox. If it had those features, far from people complaining that it's yet another car, we'd be tripping over ourselves to buy it!

1 minute ago, allanp said:

This is kinda what I've been saying. It doesn't matter if it's another car or crane or whatever, so long as it brings something new to that price point. 42077 might have had a transverse engine with 4wd and McPherson strut suspension and 4 speed gearbox. If it had those features, far from people complaining that it's yet another car, we'd be tripping over ourselves to buy it!

Same with 42082. It brings nothing new to the table, yet it's so muggin' big. You're paying for the size, rather than what the model has and does.

The problem is that TLG is primary aiming at kids. Nothing wrong with that, but I miss kind of long term improvement and vision that targets to-be afols. Let's say a boy grew up with 8421 as his best set. He got it when he was 13 back in 2005. He entered his dark age few years after that. Now, what 42082 can offer him to bring him back to lego? Sure, the improvement is there, but only in terms of total size. I mean, there is a heap of basic technic elements that TLG should implement - planetary gears, helical gears, various suspensions/steering parts, various engine parts, wheels/tires, and so on. I don't call for 10 new molds per year, but please give us new functional parts, that can push technic forward as a whole. New selector and gear from Bugatti is surely good start.

42077 is a confirmation of the recent form over function tendancy, whereas Technic should in my opinion always be function over form ... We know that  Lego is trying out concepts with children, so maybe this is what today’s youth is more interested in ...

I still didn't assemble my 42009, but I've dealt with one extensively in exhibits. My theory regarding the the 42082 is that the 42009's functions stretched too much what could be done with LEGO at the time; for example, the turntable seemed it'd break at any time under any load, and the motor constantly stalled when extending the boom or the outriggers.

What I think was TLG's goal with the 42082 was to improve on the way the 42009's functions work instead of adding/improving its functions. The loss of features like the 2nd boom stage, the multiple axles or the double-action outriggers may have been a compromise made to make the other functions work decently (best example being the banana-based bearing for the superstructure); from the reviews I saw, apart from the outriggers' slowness, I'd say that goal was achieved.

1 hour ago, WvG_853 said:

42077 is a confirmation of the recent form over function tendancy, whereas Technic should in my opinion always be function over form ... We know that  Lego is trying out concepts with children, so maybe this is what today’s youth is more interested in ... 

The sad thing is that the kids probably dont know what they are missing. 8880 was amazing back in its day, introduced me to AWD as a concept, and i always disliked the B-model a bit (despite it looking much cooler) for only being 2 speed and RWD in comparison.

42077 should have been a showcase for AWD as a mechanism, as 42000 was for pushrod suspension and 42063 for shaft drive bikes for instance.

6 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Same with 42082. It brings nothing new to the table, yet it's so muggin' big. You're paying for the size, rather than what the model has and does.

What I find more frustrating is that 42082 contains an uneven amount of right and left panels. I might need to buy two copies of it just because of that fact. :)

Now, in an unrelated note. Since the 42078 Mack truck contains quite a few parts in green without there having been any models with regular green as the major part colour in quite a while. Could this point to the fact that we will be getting a green coloured set in the near future? In my opinion there have been too many different shades of blue and not enough of the classic but rare LEGO colours in this new era of "new colour experimentation". I'd love to see technic beams and panels in brown for example.

Edited by zoo

13 minutes ago, zoo said:

Could this point to the fact that we will be getting a green coloured set in the near future? 

I dont think any of these "signals" hold any real value, we have seen colours feature only in a single set with for instance 42039 with bright green

Lego appear to just do as they please with regards to colour. Now im all for livening up the lineup, but the huge variation we've seen recently makes life hard for modding/moccing

1 hour ago, zoo said:

What I find more frustrating is that 42082 contains an uneven amount of right and left panels. I might need to buy two copies of it just because of that fact. :)

If you do that, you'll only get even more panels of the same side. :wink: The only remedy would be to buy a "mirror-universe" version of the RTC.

1 minute ago, AVCampos said:

If you do that, you'll only get even more panels of the same side. :wink: The only remedy would be to buy a "mirror-universe" version of the RTC.

Hehe oops. Not sure what happened there. Lack of sleep? Thanks anyway. :)

1 hour ago, zoo said:

Hehe oops. Not sure what happened there. Lack of sleep? Thanks anyway. :)

You're not the first ?

59 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

For the next motorbike I've always wanted to see one with a sidecar.

Yeah, that would be great! I would love to see some old looking chopper or cruiser like Harley or Triumph.

My wishlist is pretty short- make more medium sized high function count models.  Like the cargo plane, or service truck, or heavy lift helicopter.  Every set that has any decent functionality  doesn’t have to be a 4000 piece monster that does no more than the models of the past have. For 4000 pieces a set should be able to build itself and take out the trash and wash the dishes.

10 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

For the next motorbike I've always wanted to see one with a sidecar.

9 hours ago, Jaromir said:

I would love to see some old looking chopper or cruiser like Harley or Triumph.

I'm totally up for booth. The combination of two would be excellent. 

8 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

That would be cool. Maybe a revival of the classic '80s version.

Hm 857 set when I was 6...I remember that it had 3 tires 24 X 43 and with addition of 851 tractor you could build cars up to date from that era...we know that BMW makes sidecars and  we know LEGO and BMW have license agreement...that could be possible as successor of BMW GS 1200 from last year

Edited by I_Igor
Autocorrect...

5 hours ago, Bublehead said:

My wishlist is pretty short- make more medium sized high function count models.  Like the cargo plane, or service truck, or heavy lift helicopter.

Personally I consider those "large-sized". Sets like the BWE and the RTC (and maybe the Porsche and the Bugatti) are to me more "titan-sized". I'd call "medium" sets like this year's hovercraft and forklift.

Still, I see your point, and love the density of the 42008.

I think sets in the 600 - 800 part range (BMW motorbike, first responder, forklift, mine loader) are often very good sets. Any smaller and they become too simplified, too large and they seem to get more complex without adding many more functions (the functions just become more complex). 600 - 800 parts seems to be a sweet-spot for nice, playable, manual Technic models understandable for children without becoming oversimplified.

2 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I think sets in the 600 - 800 part range (BMW motorbike, first responder, forklift, mine loader) are often very good sets. Any smaller and they become too simplified, too large and they seem to get more complex without adding many more functions (the functions just become more complex). 600 - 800 parts seems to be a sweet-spot for nice, playable, manual Technic models understandable for children without becoming oversimplified.

Good point. It would be nice if we could have a licensed set in that part range, that would be first time ever sub 1000 pieces(?) and here's a perfect machine that could fit!: