30 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Mobile Crawler Windmill?

:laugh: well it's not unheard of for windmills to have small cranes on them :classic:

6 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Mobile Crawler Windmill?

Replace the tracks with legs and we literally have a strandbeest!

3 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Replace the tracks with legs and we literally have a strandbeest!

Sounds steampunky.

You could probably do some interesting things with steampunk technic.

Here is my opinion on this topic. For the next flagship model I think that TLG will produce something for which they already have a license. Because they have done it more or less so far.

Looking at it this way. Bugatti speed champions - Bugatti technic, Porsche speed champions - Porsche technic, Mercedes speed champions - Mercedes technic, Ferrari speed champions and racers - Ferrari technic, Ford speed champions - Ford technic (?), Audi speed champions - Audi technic (?), McLaren speed champions - McLaren technic (?), Chevrolet speed champions - Chevrolet technic (?), Lamborghini racers - Lamborghini technic (?).

So in my mind this are the next possibilities (in the supercar/sports car area): Ford GT, Audi R8, McLaren Senna. Why this? Well, keeping in mind that TLG spend 2 years developing Bugatti, and there is a 2 year gap between the Porsche and the Bugatti, the next supercar flagship model will come in 2020.

Chevrolet doesn't have that much interesting cars, only Corvette which has nothing going for it (I'm talking about the looks, desirability and wow factor of it) except that is cheep sports car which can compete with other supercars, which is good in RL. But it doesn't stand a chance for TLG. Lamborghini Aventador and Huracan are good looking, desirable cars, but not rear as much. Veneno and Centenario fit all of the criteria, but I think that those will be passed because they are "old" right now and not that known. Audi R8 is a production car (I mean there is a 1st and 2nd generation and there will be more) so it's not rear enough. Therefore this 3 cars are out too. Ford GT is also a production car. It looks very good, it has some interesting lines and shapes going for it, so it's desirable. With planed production of 1 car per day for 4 years (there goes the rarity out of the window), I don't see it happening. Still, beats the Audi though. McLaren Senna, the fact that it's named after F1 legend, looks way better and more interesting than other McLaren cars (the looks and the wow factor) and only 500 units will be produced, with all of them already sold out (there's the rear factor and desirability). That's why in my opinion this car has the most chance in making it out of this competitors as a technic flagship model.

But there is a chance that TLG will go in a different direction, because they need to out do them selves. The car needs to be hot right now and in the next 5 years (at lest), limited edition, technically advanced, maybe a concept car, and so on... So maybe in play will come one of the Koenigsegg models (they fit all the above mentioned criteria) if TLG springs for the license, but I don't think they will. Who knows.

@pagicence I can relate to your logic but, you seem to ignore the Porsche GT3 with respect your argument regarding rarity.  

In general, I would prefer the Technic theme to explore something other than so called supercars.  I am in the camp that would prefer supercars to be the remit of Creator, not Technic.  I find them fairly boring mechanically, regardless of how pretty the real things may be.  Technic should take on the challenge of replicating interesting and novel (to Lego) mechanisms, rather than trying to replicate aesthetic lines and styling designed to perfect aerodynamics.  Lego will never be a good medium for producing aerodynamic forms.  If it was, we'd have it flying by now :grin:

7 hours ago, Boulderer said:

Technic should take on the challenge of replicating interesting and novel (to Lego) mechanisms,

I agree with you. They should diversify. The Porsche was the best for starting a new trend. It's the ultimate driving car. I can't imagine being otherwise. But I'm a car guy, petrol head, so... I will always hope for a new car.

On 7/30/2018 at 1:28 AM, allanp said:

In my personal opinion I think a windmill would be better as a creator expert set. Imagine how detailed and ornate it could be, but the top rotates on a 42082 style bearing connected to the small rear propeller thingy via lots of gearing down.

A Don Quixote Creator set would be very appealing.

First of all, I'm not a supercar guy.

I think here we are dealing with 2 different audiences for Technic: the core Technic fans (and kids/teens) and the "casual adult/nerd" with some disposable income (e.g. all the hype from the UCS Falcon).

By releasing every other year a "brand name" supercar, you open up an untapped demographic for the purchase of lego sets. The technic "fans" still get their flagship set even with the release of the supercar. They are not mutually excleusives.

Personally, for my future set wish it would be an UCS low loader (e.g. Ingmar's trucks). I know with the release of the Mack it's pretty unlikely but i still keep my hoped up.

For a supercar, I'd like to see a Aston Martin Vulcan or whatever is the follow-up model of it. The Vulcan is a beast with some really cool design features. Then again, I don't know how well it caters to the overall LEGO public since it is a track car only.

Speaking of supercars, what else can be added to the Chiron's features? Off the top of my head, I can only think of four-wheel steering (which would finally bring us back to the level of the 8880), adjustable suspension (like the 8297 and some Lamborghinis have) and a central differential. I really don't believe TLG will ever implement functional brakes, as that implies parts intentionally wearing down against each other.

1 hour ago, AVCampos said:

Speaking of supercars, what else can be added to the Chiron's features? Off the top of my head, I can only think of four-wheel steering (which would finally bring us back to the level of the 8880), adjustable suspension (like the 8297 and some Lamborghinis have) and a central differential. I really don't believe TLG will ever implement functional brakes, as that implies parts intentionally wearing down against each other.

Diff locks, 4 wheel steering could have several modes (counter steering in low speed mode to enhance agility, crab steering in high speed mode for stability, as in real cars with 4WS). We've still got a good way to go in terms of gearboxes (as in, the stock gearboxes are far from perfect, just look at what MOCers can build with the same parts). In terms of suspension it would be nice to have something different from the ubiqutous double wishbone setup with no adjustability in terms of camber, a macpherson strut setup would make it possible to have a front mounted engine AND suspension without huuuuge builds.

Personally i also think there is ground to be gained on the engine parts/design front, the current engine parts are ~30 years old, and while they are fine for some setups (42048 for instance, excellent look and functionality), i find it disappointing that true boxer engines are impossible (though with a slightly modified conrod and a 1 pin long crank piece, and a 0.5 stud offset in cilinders it would be perfectly doable), and just design wise i think lego can do better. 42037 for instance has an up-down-up-down crank in an inline 4, up-down-down-up is what inline-4s usually have though, and is perfectly doable with stock parts.

9 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

The thing is, functional brakes that use the rubber really don't wear out the rubber that much, since they're sparingly applied. I think there's undeserved hesitation towards functional brakes. Personally I don't really care for it, since they tend to take up valuable space that could be used to improve steering geometry and suspension.

7 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Personally I don't really care for it, since they tend to take up valuable space that could be used to improve steering geometry and suspension. 

Which could be solved by moving the brakes inboard, easily done on any driven axle. (The Alfa 75 for instance has its rear brakes directly next to the gearbox)

Interesting to see that there are basically two camps, (although there is a lot of crossover), when it comes to Technic the supercars or big machines (trucks, BWE's, Plant etc), personally I prefer the big yellow machines, having spent a lifetime working with them, having said that my all time favorite set is 8880 - a car :blush:

Cabriolet with an automatically folding roof would be a very interesting supercar. And the motor could be also used for lifting suspension, for example.

Edited by Yevhen

So the next wave of new sets comes in January, doesn't it?

When can we expect to get first secret photos of the new sets (according to the past years)?

Edited by Yevhen

More than a "when", personally I'd like more to know an "if": will we get PU-powered Technic sets on 1H2019? But it's way too early to know for us puny mortals.

6 hours ago, AVCampos said:

More than a "when", personally I'd like more to know an "if": will we get PU-powered Technic sets on 1H2019? But it's way too early to know for us puny mortals.

God I really hope not.

Why? Bluetooth is definitely better than infrared. Of course, my desire for PU in Technic assumes they'll launch a hub better suited for Technic, with AA batteries, odd dimensions and pin holes instead of AAA, even and studs, and preferably with more outputs.

1 hour ago, AVCampos said:

Why? Bluetooth is definitely better than infrared. Of course, my desire for PU in Technic assumes they'll launch a hub better suited for Technic, with AA batteries, odd dimensions and pin holes instead of AAA, even and studs, and preferably with more outputs.

Going by your assumptions, then sure, why not?

PU needs either a battery box with more than two ports, or extension cables with 2-4 ports coming off each one, like what can be done with USBs.

Channel selection should work between multiple battery boxes for the same device, and custom controller setups should also be possible like with Sbrick.

A controller with proportional control sticks and channel selection is also needed, since the current train one is lacking from what I’ve seen.

Less garish colours would be welcome too, since white motors don’t blend too well with Technic’s mechanical greys.

If TLC can do this over the course of a couple years without an insane price spike then by all means, please. At its current state though, PU isn’t yet modular enough to be well integrated into the Technic line.

Edited by Bartybum

Personally I don't like the idea of having to use my phone with an app to control a model. Mostly because I like physical controls over digital ones on a screen, but I greatly prefer an actual controller of some sorts like PF has rather than "virtual" operating on a touch screen.

19 hours ago, Yevhen said:

Cabriolet with an automatically folding roof would be a very interesting supercar. And the motor could be also used for lifting suspension, for example.

Yes, this please. If you do a Technic car, I would like to see more mechanisms than the standard engine, gearbox and suspension. Folding roofs. adjustable seats, adjustable ride height, etc are all features which have been done a long time ago, which I would like to see again, possibly in one car. Maybe the next UCS car will have some of these, we'll see in 2 years.

Secondly, I believe that sets which combine multiple models are still a good idea since they offer a lot of play value. Basically, you could take any Lego City vehicle set, scale it up and Technic-fy it. Some suggestions for mid-scale combination Technic sets I would buy:

• Tractor with trailer or complex implement
  • Truck with a hitchhiker forklift and cargo (with printed cloth side panels please),
  • Truck with low loader trailer with a load (8872 anyone?)

As for other machines on my wish list: 

• A small or medium size tower crane, but it would required bringing back the weighted bricks for the required stability.
  • Flagship pneumatic backhoe
  • Helicopter with new swashplate parts so cyclic pitch control is possible
  • Motorbike with gearbox, using the Bugatti selectors

If/when TLG decides to update PF, I dream of these functionalities:

• More control of LEDs: for example with blinking modes, possibly linked to other channels (blinking when steering) but I guess the programmable capabilities needed for this would require a Mindstorms-like control unit.
  • Micro motor for small functions
  • Compact PF switch which can start or stop a PF-motor when the switch is mechanically actuated, for example as an endstop for a linear movement or to create a two stage movement.

But for now I will stop dreaming and enjoy the 2018 sets.

Just now, Cumulonimbus said:

(8872 anyone?)

Speaking of which, a car carrier has cool mechanisms, has never been made as an A-model (I consider the 8109 as a tow truck), and could be an interesting choice for TLG due to the "collect-them-all" factor: it could come with a single car and have room for one or two more, and that one or two more could be a separately purchased set.

Heck, they could design the car carrier so that, when its ramps are lowered, it could be used for pullback car stunts!

In page 240 of the 42081 B, there are also images of various prototypes in sketch and in Lego model. One of which has various 42055 buckets mounted on tracks. So a flagship Bucket Chain Excavator can totally happen!

Another one in that page looks like a concrete mixer trailer with the concrete bed mounted on 8 yellow gear quadrants. I think we can expect to see a similar setup in the near future.

And wheel arch in yellow *oh2*

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen