8 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I think I just had an aneurysm reading that in one sentence lmao. But god damn yes that would be beautiful. I wonder whether that would require an XL to run the compressor fast? Also I imagine it would be hella expensíf, so I could go without a flashing light.

OH and before I forget, I wanna see Lego announce a partnership with Nooteboom or Scheuerle.

Hahaha, you are right, it was too much in one sentence...anyway, they can skip the flashing orange light if they elaborate all other backhoe functions properly. :classic: I just thought children (including me) would love such a new thing on a construction machine. They managed to implement that in some 80s Town sets, so why not? Imagine it at night supplemented by some normal PF lights. It would look awesome. Good question about the motor though, I would use L and two small pumps to get enough air pressure.

Edited by Interceptor

If going by past trends then next year indeed might not be so great. However we have had two great years back to back in 2015/2016 before and the new pneumatic valves allow many to be packed together in a smaller space, and I doubt they would have created those new valves just for the forest harvester. So I'm predicting a pneumatic flagship with lots of pneumatics. And because the new valves have already been developed and released my guess is that it's a highly complex and ambitious design taking longer than usual to get right. So yeah, could be just wishful thinking, but that leads me to think it's a backhoe. With all the things a backhoe can do they are nightmarish to get right, and to make one big enough to match the size and complexity of our current flagships and to TLGs standards I have to think would take longer than pretty much any other set to design. Alternatively, as almost every other year seems to be RC, 2019 flagship could be a huge RC pneumatic forklift, with its new parts being a small PU servo to control the valves and reeeeaaaaalllly long pneumatics to get a good lift height on the forks, at least 40cms of lift, which for me would be the first RC flagship done right!

Edited by allanp

I'd love to see a combine harvester, seeing as there's only ever been one in my lifetime. It doesn't even have to be licensed, but I have a feeling the small lime panels in 42080 could be a sign of something coming up, if you know what I mean. CLAAS-CLAAS, wink-wink. :purrr:

Here are some exotic vehicles that can appear as flagship:

- Backhoe
- Combine Harvester
- Volvo Sfinx
- Front Shovel Excavator
- Bucket Chain Excavator
- Dragline Excavator
- Power Shovel Excavator
- Telehandler
- Reach Stacker (I've been dying for this one)
- Bucket Wheel Trencher Digger
- Crawler Transporter + Rocket
- Feller Buncher

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

8295 was joint flagship with 8297 in 2008 and we had a telehandler last year, but I'd welcome another one. :thumbup:

Mobile launch pad and rocket. Woah. That'd be wild. B-model could be a space station with motorized solar panels. :wub:

I'd say the Sfinx is a possibility given the big four-set Volvo kick (yes, I count the Mack in that). As for the backhoe, it's about time for another. Bring it on, TLG!

@Ngoc Nguyen I dunno how well a crawler transporter would work to be honest. It’s sorta light on functions, don’t you think?

Also, add crawler crane to that list.

Just now, Bartybum said:

@Ngoc Nguyen I dunno how well a crawler transporter would work to be honest. It’s sorta light on functions, don’t you think?

After 42042, I doubt the crawler crane could be done better. :laugh:

Barty, you're forgetting the shuttle! Imagine a slightly scaled-down version of the previous one (yes, that previous one), with satellite bay doors and other functions. That'd be cool.

4 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Crawler crane is already done in 2015. The number is 42042. And I don't think it can go past the 2000 piece count, let alone be a flagship. Flagship piece count lately has been bloated.

1 minute ago, Maaboo35 said:

Barty, you're forgetting the shuttle! Imagine a slightly scaled-down version of the previous one (yes, that previous one), with satellite bay doors and other functions. That'd be cool.

Yeah I also think if Crawler Transporter + Rocket is done, the main functions will be in the space shuttle.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

A telescopic crawler crane could pack at least six motorised functions and in 42082 scale would easily exceed 2500 parts.

4 minutes ago, suffocation said:

A telescopic crawler crane could pack at least six motorised functions and in 42082 scale would easily exceed 2500 parts.

And then cram them all into the superstructure? Undercarriages of tracked models in general don't have places for gearboxes.

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

And then cram them all into the superstructure? Undercarriages of tracked models in general don't have places for gearboxes.

42042 certainly doesn't.

5 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Yes - I've done it myself, except for the drive because I wanted direct drive. But there was plenty of room to direct the drive from the superstructure.

25 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

After 42042, I doubt the crawler crane could be done better. :laugh:

Oh hell no matey, 42042 could be so much better, both by size, proportions and functions. I could see Lego doing a 4K part crawler crane. Imagine it having a gearbox that lets you control each track individually.

15 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Oh hell no matey, 42042 could be so much better, both by size, proportions and functions. I could see Lego doing a 4K part crawler crane. Imagine it having a gearbox that lets you control each track individually.

Yeah, but I can display 42042 without coughing up for an extension. :laugh:

I think a worthwhile remake of 8480 would have to be a little bigger than 8480 so the arm could have more degrees of movement, a satellite with more complex unfolding wings, control surfaces in the tail, steerable front wheels, fully retractable wheels that fit inside the fully panelled wings and so on. And even then, when 8480 was released it was a milestone in complexity and was the first to introduce the drive ring based function switching gearbox, which made it amazing. Now it's done to death, so I don't know that a even a new bigger better shuttle would be as thrilling to me personally as the original was UNLESS it brought something new that I haven't thought of or didn't know I wanted, because to be quite honest, I didn't want a Technic space shuttle until I saw 8480.

I would bet for a dumper, it is not my favorite and we have a recently B model but it would be the easier big RC machine to do, only 3 functions and you can play with the 42030. My dream would be between a reach stalker or a front shovel but I also know that I probably wouldn´t like the set... but this is my problem...

4 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

1. Add a crawler transporter
2. Profit

Another problem. If you add the crawler, you need the boosters and EFT, otherwise you just have a lone Shuttle and crawler, and that’s weird.

That’s an absolutely giant Technic set, even if the crawler transporter is below scale. Well beyond 4K pieces imo

What's the likelyhood of releasing a new shuttle, let alone a crawler to go with it now that both are redundant and only found in museums. Mmodelling a dead product doesn't seem to fit with the future ideas theme they've picked up on with the volvo and everything else they make has a basis in current equipment.

They'd be much better off imo revisitng the idea of the old universal sets and showing that you can create something with technic that is not a vehicle. The old plotter, the dinosaur, Danger Will Robinson robots etc

@bonox Oh man you just gave me an insane idea. What about a Theo Jansen Strandbeest? I’d like to see Technic start tackling walkers

Edited by Bartybum

there are some examples of MOCs following that idea on rebrickable, but yes - things like that I believe would be a great asset to selling the capability of the Technic theme that haven't been seen for many many years.

Now i'm thinking of a working windmill with archimedes screw that could be used to 'lift' 1x1 round plates or even balls as a GBC.

In my personal opinion I think a windmill would be better as a creator expert set. Imagine how detailed and ornate it could be, but the top rotates on a 42082 style bearing connected to the small rear propeller thingy via lots of gearing down.

1 hour ago, allanp said:

In my personal opinion I think a windmill would be better as a creator expert set. Imagine how detailed and ornate it could be, but the top rotates on a 42082 style bearing connected to the small rear propeller thingy via lots of gearing down.

Mobile Crawler Windmill?