2 minutes ago, allanp said:

car (resembling an anventador)

:sick: that would kill the set right there.

But upgrading functions is a total must go. And don't they dare to forget a new micro motor!

2 hours ago, allanp said:

But redesigned from the ground up so it's sleeker, lower (if we're honest, the ground clearance for the original 8880 was redicolously high for a supercar)

2 hours ago, Omikron said:

:sick: that would kill the set right there.

I have to agree with Omikron here. Aventador (yet another generic super car) would kill the charm of 8880, which has a properly functioning suspension, unlike other having 0-1 stud travel.

Let's be honest - forget about studless remakes (especially 8880). If TLG would ever decide to make these there would be so many people complaining about different aspects missing in these models, which people assumed to be essential to keep, it is not even worth this. It is fine when someone build his own remake as long it is not an official set. Otherwise everybody begin setting their own bar. I know, old stud-full sets are nostalgic, and you want to relive same experience again. You won't get this with studless sets, because... well.. these won't be built from Technic bricks anymore. And don't forget about different aspects might get missing during remake, I mentioned above. It will be totally different. 

We don't need to go full copy. For example they can make "Buran" instead of space shuttle this time. And don't mind me wrong but TLG has recycled sets multiple times.

- Remember this yellow crane truck?

- Which one? We have 4!

- The one near the tow truck

- Tow? Big, small or blue?

- Well the one closest to the helicopter!!!

- Is this a joke?

- Well near the helicopter which is near the super car set

- The red one?

- NO! The better one!

- JUST POINT AT IT!

- This one!

8258-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

- This is not even yellow!

- The crane part is!!! Just as I said - YELLOW CRANE truck.

I mean they must have some kind of a 2 year checklist which consists of tow truck, crane, super car, excavator, utility vehicle and a tractor.

Edited by Omikron

5 hours ago, allanp said:

However I think the most interesting remake could be control center 2. It would be great to remake the helicopter with full cyclic and collective rotor controls,  still mounted to a control arm like the original and counter balanced perfectly with battery box and a complex set of control levers so you could turn on the rotors and with only the collective controls it would actually "take off", and using the cyclic it can move forward and backward. It would also come with a winch, the aim would be to be able to "fly" the helicopter and lower the winch to collect a load of some kind. This would certainly be the most difficult. Anyone care to try?!

I have been thinking about something similar. That would be truly awesome!

7 hours ago, AVCampos said:

Does the 8049 count?

Nah not small enough. I want sets that use the small pneumatics. Plus 8049 was like a million years ago

My wish list is parts... parts, parts , parts, parts. Give us more pins and stops and connectors. More hubs, CV joints, bushes. More panels in more colors, more PF options, pneumatic parts, tires, flex axles in all lengths and colors. How many times have you said “If they only made a part that does THIS”?

@Bublehead As cool as that idea is... Where is the challenge if you have a piece for everything?

I do happen to agree that we need more colors of the same parts, that is something necessary, but for new parts, I think Lego does fine! But a PF Small/Micro/Mini motor... YES PLEASE!!!

For some reason I always thought 8880 looked more like a Lamborghini than any other car. Guess I'm the only one :laugh:

Have to agree with @Bublehead where parts are concerned. And also with the sentiment that studless remakes don't capture the essence or nostalgia of the original, which is why I think updated homages built to modern standards are better than straight remakes.

5 hours ago, kolbjha said:

I have been thinking about something similar. That would be truly awesome!

Yeah, this idea is one I've been thinking about but working 60 hours a week and being lead singer/only guitarist in a band leaves me with so little time to design anything.

Or maybe the next supercar is in medium blue (42066). But still, the release of curved panels and wheel arches in purple is very suspicious *squint eyes*

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

On ‎25‎-‎5‎-‎2018 at 10:56 PM, zux said:

8880, which has a properly functioning suspension, unlike other having 0-1 stud travel.

8880 suspension is really bad, because it's way too stiff. It doesn't do its job - it should be partly compressed when standing, because only then can it absorb shocks both ways (bumps in the road, and holes in the road). Just compare to its follow-up, 8448, which as a smooth-as-silk suspension; pushing it very lightly already has visible effect. Not for 8880, which you have to push too hard to see movement.

Also, I actually think 1 cm is about realistic on a 1:8 scale car. How much travel do real (super)car suspensions have? Doing a random search until I found a number, gave me https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18550 which speaks about 50 to 100 mm on real cars. If you take the middle, 75mm, then this converts to almost exactly 1 stud in a Technic supercar.

Edited by Erik Leppen

On 5/25/2018 at 10:09 PM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

a piece for everything

Not exactly what I was meaning, @Leonardo da Bricki. Although it is a thin line of difference, it’s not a specialized piece that does THIS or THAT, but a part that does a specific type of connection, or coupling between it and other parts, like the custom part efferman is posting soon that is a combination of a 2L pin and this part https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=15100&idColor=11 

Like saying “I wish I had 4L pins”, or “a 2L version of https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=32054&idColor=11” not I wish I had a piece that performs a very specific function like this new orange rotary catch for gearboxes in the Chiron.

I mean, who else would have asked for that specific of a part but the designers with an idea of how they wanted to use it to begin with?  It has limited use in any other application but moving the drive ring (until we get our hands on it and repurpose it for greeblies, texturizer, or some technical function OTHER than a drive ring catch :laugh:)

I love a challenge, but sometimes I feel like TLG can do anything they want by just molding a new part. We have to use those parts and unless you are on Team Heritic and use custom non Lego parts, only the ones they give us.  That is the joy of “making it work” within a limited set of parameters, and in this case, that is the catalog of legal parts from TLG. 

We can wish and dream however :classic:

I'm curious about how a locomotive would be like in Technic. At first thought it seems poor in terms of functions, but TLG has managed to make boats and yachts playable to an extent, so maybe they can do something with a locomotive.

27 minutes ago, Bublehead said:

Has anyone else wished they would do a VTOL aircraft worthy of the V-22 osprey moniker? 

At least 42066 has fake VTOL feature :wink:

I just look at the cargo plane and heavy lift helicopter and if you crossed the two, I think we would have a bingo! So a MOC may be coming soon to let TLG know it is possible :wink:

Just now, Bublehead said:

I just look at the cargo plane and heavy lift helicopter and if you crossed the two, I think we would have a bingo! So a MOC may be coming soon to let TLG know it is possible :wink:

Yes, just be careful not to cause color vomit :laugh:

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I'm curious about how a locomotive would be like in Technic. At first thought it seems poor in terms of functions, but TLG has managed to make boats and yachts playable to an extent, so maybe they can do something with a locomotive.

Could be quite good, but I think it would be even better as a massive creator expert set, imagine a creator expert Saturn V rocket sized pneumatic flying Scotsman with all the proper linkages including reversing linkage :wub: . Not enough functionality for technic but it would have a ton of detail. B model could be a working pneumatic traction engine with the added bonus of being usable to drive the creator carousel and Ferris wheel.

1 hour ago, letsbuild said:

I wonder if the next supercar will be a Mclaren...

Please don't be a McLaren :grin:

I'd much rather have a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, maybe even an Audi R8. 

@I_Igor, I have access to all my old collection back in Ohio. I have a fortune in black 3L friction pins to combat the Technicolor in the future... but so far, I been able to keep things within my main color choices of red, black, dbg, and light grey for the most part and haven’t worried about standard pin colors, just axle colors, but since red is in my scheme, don’t mind using red axles, but yellow axles are “right out” to quote Monty Python ATHG. I tend to only use the yellow when completely hidden by journals and gears.

@Ngoc Nguyen and @allanp, I was looking at TC10 contest entries and there were 2 Technic locomotives enter in the contest if you want to take a look.

Aside from all the fancy linkages between the wheels, there is probably nothing much to be playable in a locomotive I guess :-s 

Maybe there will be some cars with a crane. You know TLG, they operate under a motto "if you like it then you put a crane on it". Even a boat manages to have a crane, then what can't.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

21 minutes ago, LvdH said:

Please don't be a McLaren :grin:

I'd much rather have a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, maybe even an Audi R8. 

How could you not want a McLaren? Especially when they make cars as beautiful as the P1. :)

@Bublehead I will use yellow axles, but only on yellow (or ordinary green) moc, so I support your color choices :thumbup:

@Ngoc Nguyen ? ? it sounds like Dr Suess... I do not like my cranes on trains, I do not like my cranes on planes, I do not like my cranes on boats, or anything else that floats. I do not like cranes on hovercrafts, come on Lego, have you all gone daft? I like my cranes on big old trucks, like the ones that cost a thousand bucks. I like my cranes with sexy looks, especially with metal hooks. I like my cranes with extended booms, just not on every model in my Lego room. So just what will the new year bring? But another winch and a piece of string.