42 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

You probably meant 42083 :wink: ? ...

Yes of course, thank you, I never get used to talking in set numbers.

Edited by Cumulonimbus
Spelling

Chiron is very hard to get right and without gaps with all the curvature it has. 

I would put my money on something similar to Porsche 919 Hybrid. It's an existing licence, 42039 is no longer on the shelves, and the iconic shape would be easily replicatable in Technic.

If it is to be a supercar then I agree, the Chiron would be great. Either that or an aventador. Those are my two favourite.

@allanp  I would also like some offroader with proper tire pattern like this

3710964_orig.jpg

Edited by I_Igor

18 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

You probably meant 42083 :wink: ?

So guys, let´s speculate!

I'd like to speculate that it is anything but a car, however I feel I may well be disappointed :cry_sad:

I'd like something Big, Yellow and industrial :classic:

A starting point could be "what kind of machine is licensed, is not a car, and has the potential to be complex enough to be a flagship?"

45 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

A starting point could be "what kind of machine is licensed, is not a car, and has the potential to be complex enough to be a flagship?"

e.g:

- Claas combine harvestor

- Volvo excavator (something like bigger and more complex 8043)

edit:

"has the potential to be complex enough to be a flagship" that can be anything: even bus could be complex enough to be flagship, there are MOCs like that

I hope it is not a car.

to all who are "certain" it is another supercar: imagine you are LEGO product manager responsible for Technic. Would you vote for another supercar while you still have one on the shelfs and in the production? Would another Technic supercar likely increase of lower the sales of Porsche?

IMO: granted LEGO did crazier and less logical steps before, but I see no business point to introduce another supercar now.

Edited by J_C

34 minutes ago, J_C said:

imagine you are LEGO product manager responsible for Technic. Would you vote for another supercar while you still have one on the shelfs and in the production? Would another Technic supercar likely increase of lower the sales of Porsche?

IMO: granted LEGO did crazier and less logical steps before, but I see no business point to introduce another supercar now.

This really depends. What kind of people buy the Porsche?

• Car fans. Then adding a new car will increase sales, because the cars are now a collectable series.
  • Technic fans. Then adding a new car will not do much, because the cars compete against each other for Technic-ness.

Probably it's a mix between the two. Anyhow, what the target audience is for the Porsche and whether it's successfull in that audience, is info we don't have. But if we assume the Porsche is mainly a collector set for car fans, then we can conclude it's likely a second car will follow.

Personally, I expect 42083 to be a car, mainly because TLG said the Porsche was "the first in a series". The Bugatti Chiron in dark azure + black seems the most likely suggestion to me so far, for various reasons:

• With the Mack truck, we already have a non-car licenced flagship set, so it's unlikely that 42083 is again not a car
  • Someone here said it was "a brand currently already licenced", and according to some people here, the Speed Champtions theme has a Bugatti set (I didn't check this though)
  • A lot of pieces appeared in dark azure recently.

7 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

With the Mack truck, we already have a non-car licenced flagship set, so it's unlikely that 42083 is again not a car

There's also the rumoured Volvo.

7 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

according to some people here, the Speed Champtions theme has a Bugatti set (I didn't check this though)

Yes, 75878.

56 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

This really depends. What kind of people buy the Porsche?

• Car fans. Then adding a new car will increase sales, because the cars are now a collectable series.
  • Technic fans. Then adding a new car will not do much, because the cars compete against each other for Technic-ness.

Probably it's a mix between the two. Anyhow, what the target audience is for the Porsche and whether it's successfull in that audience, is info we don't have. But if we assume the Porsche is mainly a collector set for car fans, then we can conclude it's likely a second car will follow.

Personally, I expect 42083 to be a car, mainly because TLG said the Porsche was "the first in a series". The Bugatti Chiron in dark azure + black seems the most likely suggestion to me so far, for various reasons:

• With the Mack truck, we already have a non-car licenced flagship set, so it's unlikely that 42083 is again not a car
  • Someone here said it was "a brand currently already licenced", and according to some people here, the Speed Champtions theme has a Bugatti set (I didn't check this though)
  • A lot of pieces appeared in dark azure recently.

I think pool of people that wants to buy two supercars at Porsche's price level at the same time is small. Then there is pool of people who do not have Porsche yet and would be choosing between Porsche and alleged upcoming supercar, it is either or, so no gain for Lego to offer both at the same time. Then there is subset of people who already have Porsche and wants "next one", right now (some of them would buy non-car flagship regardless and wait till Porsche is discontinued). I just do not see much point offering "next supercar" concurrently with Porsche, before retiring the Porsche.

3 hours ago, J_C said:

I think pool of people that wants to buy two supercars at Porsche's price level at the same time is small. Then there is pool of people who do not have Porsche yet and would be choosing between Porsche and alleged upcoming supercar, it is either or, so no gain for Lego to offer both at the same time. Then there is subset of people who already have Porsche and wants "next one", right now (some of them would buy non-car flagship regardless and wait till Porsche is discontinued). I just do not see much point offering "next supercar" concurrently with Porsche, before retiring the Porsche.

Look at the Modular Buildings, several of them are being sold at the same time, and I don't think the release of a new one each year harms the sales of the previous ones. And if the Porsche is retired at the end of the year (that's what the catalog suggests), then the two sets will be on sale at the same time for five months only. I think that's enough time for those who want to start collecting the supercars to get the Porsche before it retires (and get the 42083 later, they don't have to buy them at the same time, the 42083 shouldn't retire before 2020). When 42083 will be released, the Porsche will have been on sale for more than two years, so it's reaching the end of its lifecycle anyways. It's not as if they chose to release a new supercar in 1H2017, or even 2H2017, there won't be too much concurrency between these two sets.

If 42043 42083 is a supercar, I'd like it to be a Ford GT. I love the shaping of the rear half, and there could be some interesting functions, like adjustable suspensions, or deployable rear wing. Scissor doors would be a bit better than regular doors, too. It could be dark blue, or blue (75539 seems to have #3 and #4 and #17 and #18 panels in blue, so that's four parts less to make in a new colour). Anyways, whatever it is, I hope it will be technically more interesting than the Porsche. :grin:

51 minutes ago, Leewan said:

Look at the Modular Buildings, several of them are being sold at the same time, and I don't think the release of a new one each year harms the sales of the previous ones. And if the Porsche is retired at the end of the year (that's what the catalog suggests), then the two sets will be on sale at the same time for five months only. I think that's enough time for those who want to start collecting the supercars to get the Porsche before it retires (and get the 42083 later, they don't have to buy them at the same time, the 42083 shouldn't retire before 2020). When 42083 will be released, the Porsche will have been on sale for more than two years, so it's reaching the end of its lifecycle anyways. It's not as if they chose to release a new supercar in 1H2017, or even 2H2017, there won't be too much concurrency between these two sets.

that actually makes lots of sense

:grin: Yeah, that was a typo. We know 42043 is a Mercedes, but definitely not a supercar.

16 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

A lot of pieces appeared in dark azure recently.

Did we have a rise in orange pieces before 42056?

15 hours ago, J_C said:

Then there is pool of people who do not have Porsche yet and would be choosing between Porsche and alleged upcoming supercar, it is either or, so no gain for Lego to offer both at the same time.

They can buy 42056 because it’s retiring sooner and then 42083 later. It’s not really an issue and I doubt it’ll affect long term sales of 42056 or 42083. The pool of people that can afford 42056 will most likely factor this into their choice.

Edited by Bartybum

3 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Did we have a rise in orange pieces before 42056?

Yes actually, but the question is really how far you want to look back: The 9392 Quad Bike, the 42007 Moto Cross Bike,  42038 Arctic Truck and the even the 42001 Mini Off Roader were sets which introduced some crucial parts in orange that made the 42056 possible.

Like @Erik Leppen, I feel an azure and black Bugatti Chiron is a very real possibility. The omens are very favourable: the increased availability of azure parts (similar to one of the launch colours of the Chiron), the fact that the Chiron is relatively new car which would fit nicely in the Technic super car range, the existing licence between TLG and Bugatti. This set would also need to recreate some interesting mechanisms which haven't been designed in an official set before: actuated rear spoiler and the W-configuration engine for example. Additionally, I would love to see a tan coloured interior again (last one was in the 8145 Ferrari Fiorano set of 2007). It just feels like it all makes sense (at the moment).

Edited by Cumulonimbus
Spelling

4 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Additionally, I would love to see a tan coloured interior again (last one was in the 8145 Ferrari Fiorano set of 2007).

The 41999 has a tan interior (sorta). :wink:

I still think, that it will be McLaren (Senna?), as they also have existing cooperation.

Another thing. Than new set is planned for march? McLaren Senna is planned to oficcially present in march at Geneva motor show.

Not sure if lego follows us fans but i'd wish for more technic space crafts.. And not your typical normal NASA space crafts. More scifi space crafts.. 
With technic, you could add lots of functions.. Like foldable wings or moving turbines.. Maybe scrap recovery arms and cool stuff. 

8 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I feel an azure and black Bugatti Chiron is a very real possibility. The omens are very favourable: the increased availability of azure parts (similar to one of the launch colours of the Chiron), the fact that the Chiron is relatively new car which would fit nicely in the Technic super car range

That would be a possibility which sounds plausible to me too. 

On 24.1.2018 at 5:54 PM, J_C said:

I just do not see much point offering "next supercar" concurrently with Porsche, before retiring the Porsche.

I see it the opposite way: while retiring the Porsche, it´s necessary to launch the next one in the series and boost the sales numbers again. 

23 hours ago, Leewan said:

Anyways, whatever it is, I hope it will be technically more interesting than the Porsche. :grin:

Probably we shouldn´t raise too high expectations this time, only to get disappointed again in the end :hmpf_bad:. But the anticipation usually delivers the greater joy than the real thing, like kids waiting for Christmas :laugh:.. If the new model would look as much appealing as the Porsche and bring at least interesting new parts, like rims, I will be satisfied (not about the price though, again!)

7 hours ago, Jurss said:

I still think, that it will be McLaren (Senna?), as they also have existing cooperation.

Another thing. Than new set is planned for march? McLaren Senna is planned to oficcially present in march at Geneva motor show.

I highly doubt this, because you can exclude another orange model for 99,9 % certainty. Doesn´t mean that the Senna will exist only in one colour, but I simply can´t immagine that.

The 2H sets usually are being launched in August or later, depends on the country.

My suggestion was the AMG GT3 for some reasons, but it´s not my favourite at all. Another car with front engine, such as a yellow Corvette, would be nicer IMO. On the other hand, unlikely as well, the yellow seems to be reserved for the construction stuff.

I´m curious and hopefully we will get some leaks from Spielwarenmesse in Nuremberg next week!

Edited by brunojj1

Think I said this on another thread, but there is just no way it's going to be a Corvette if it's a supercar.

Lego is a European company and there's not a single person in Europe who thinks of Corvette when they hear the word supercar, our opinion of the Corvette is the same as our opinion of American cars in general, they're alright for driving straight down a drag strip or the like, but once the road starts turning there's nothing better than an Italian vehicle  :laugh:

Still hoping it's not a car though!

14 hours ago, degenerate said:

Think I said this on another thread, but there is just no way it's going to be a Corvette if it's a supercar.

Lego is a European company and there's not a single person in Europe who thinks of Corvette when they hear the word supercar, our opinion of the Corvette is the same as our opinion of American cars in general, they're alright for driving straight down a drag strip or the like, but once the road starts turning there's nothing better than an Italian vehicle  :laugh:

Still hoping it's not a car though!

at least until Bella Macchina broke (has some mechanical failure) :laugh:

Anyone who might wish for a LEGO jet engine kit with Technic functions should take a look at a new LEGO Idea that I posted in The Embassy LEGO Ideas discussion.

A new Rolls-Royce jet engine with cut-away sections and internal gearbox has been submitted.

It is already attracting significant support after 24 hours and should soon reach 1000 votes.

It can be motorised; there is a video of it on Twitter (search for @cakesmyth)

Mark