Sign in to follow this  
Jareth

Review: 30222: Police Helicopter

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I got this in my christmas stocking in 2013, but some recent troubles with my car, camera and library computer have delayed me from reviewing it till now. As cool as it would have been to review a 2014 set in 2013, I still think this will be a usefull review.

Number: 30222

Name: Police Helicopter

Theme: Town

Subtheme: Police

Year: 2014

Minifgs: one

Pieces: 33 (I counted 36)

Price: $4.99 (I Assume)

helicopter01.jpg

Parts:

helicopter03.jpg

As you can see, the pallette is more hit than miss. I like the color scheme as it is really great to have dark blue in basic plates and one brick. They greys and whites are also welcome additions. I'm not a big fan of the rotors or windscreen, but it wouldn't be much of a helicopter without them. I don't like the large bracket, but it probably cuts down on the parts count and makes it more stable.

helicopter06.jpg

Extra parts. Not much to say, except that my older control sticks are starting to shrink. So I'm glad to have an extra replacement.

People:

helicopter07.jpg

helicopter08.jpg

The dark blue looks nice. From the front, a pilot's shirt with badge, and from the back like a bulletproof vest. Very nice detailing. The printed legs are nice, but I have no idea what the square on his left leg is supposed to be. Also the uniform color scheme matches the helicopters.

Design:

helicopter04.jpg

It's a fairly basic design. I've seen better landing skids, but I've also seen much worse. Elevating the body off the skids would improve the appearance, as would a reverse slope in place of the 2x2 brick.

helicopter05.jpg

And here's the final build. I think the build suffers because of the limited pallette, but in the end I'm using this set for pieces, not a display piece.

MVP: (Most valued piece)

helicopter09.jpg

It's the Brick 1x1 with one side stud! The MVP was hoty contested as the dark blue pieces and the white tail are all worthy of the award, but In the end I decided that these pieces were the ones most usefull in any collection, and the piece most likelly to make me fill a cup at a BAP wall.

Conclusion:

Parts: 8/10

Minifigs: 7/10 (A better head or helmet would make this stand out)

Build: 5/10

Playability: 8/10

Price: 7.2 (Based on $5, this could jump to 9 if priced at $4)

Overall: 7/10

Would I get more of these? If the price was right, but then mainly as a parts builder and to see if I could come up with a better use for the windshield. If you would like to see more photos, please visit my gallery.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=541869

snip

The white square on the minifigures left leg is a map, it's common for Police helicopter crew to have a map in a clear pocket on their leg so it's a very nice, authentic detail.

Edited by Rick
Please don't quote images or large blocks of text unnecessarily