Sign in to follow this  
CMP

Heroica RPG - Quest #98: Dark of the Moon

The party returned to Eubric, trudging through the night, Soryx in the back and still carrying U'Reeka's body, Wally struggling to look away from it and still obviously quite traumatized by what he'd witnessed. The reached the city, and found the manhole Moke had opened earlier in the day. The party went down into the sewer, and back to the city they had promised to protect.

13726779873_7002a5cca6_c.jpg

The mushroom-ridden city in the sewers never felt more comfortable to the heroes after their trek through the dark ruin of Nu Mercution. Wally led the way into the Baron's office.

9233150643_942f427c2e_z.jpg

The old gnome looked up immediately.

8743579240_10371718cf_t.jpg

"Ah, heroes! And...Wally? Who is this U'Kin? What on Olegaia is this?"

What will the party say?

"A long story," Em grumbles, before raising his voice. "Your citizens are safe; they should be here before too long. We got rid of the Shades. They're no longer a threat. Wally can explain more, but I think you ought to let him rest before interrogating him."

"Ah, heroes! And...Wally? Who is this U'Kin? What on Olegaia is this?"

"The U'kin is, or rather was Dr. U'Reeka. As our companion Em has stated, the current threat has been eliminated as requested."

Hybros crossed his arms and nodded. "The late Doctor here was experimenting with a device that somehow created the shade creatures that kidnapped your people. Needless to say, it got out of control and we had no choice but to eliminate the Shades, and U'Reeka who stood with them..." He winced, wishing he had lowered his voice in front of Wally.

"Zylstra is safe again," is all I can say as I suddenly feel at a loss for words.

A few moments later, "Good thing you called us when you did. It seems to have been just in time."

"A long story," Em grumbles, before raising his voice. "Your citizens are safe; they should be here before too long. We got rid of the Shades. They're no longer a threat. Wally can explain more, but I think you ought to let him rest before interrogating him."

"The U'kin is, or rather was Dr. U'Reeka. As our companion Em has stated, the current threat has been eliminated as requested."

Hybros crossed his arms and nodded. "The late Doctor here was experimenting with a device that somehow created the shade creatures that kidnapped your people. Needless to say, it got out of control and we had no choice but to eliminate the Shades, and U'Reeka who stood with them..." He winced, wishing he had lowered his voice in front of Wally.

"Zylstra is safe again," is all I can say as I suddenly feel at a loss for words.

A few moments later, "Good thing you called us when you did. It seems to have been just in time."

"...So the doctor here was responsible for our shades."

The Baron looked between the corpse and Wally.

"I see...you did what was necessary, heroes. I respect that. More importantly, you completed your mission. And all our citizens are safe? Excellent, excellent!"

9926370773_7712ebe8ae_t.jpg

"...Mister Baron..I'd like to....bury Doc, with, you know...the others. If that's okay. I guess that..I'll be moving back in here. I don't really have anywhere else to go."

The Baron nods.

"Of course."

Wally left the building without so much as another word. Soryx followed.

10827572614_01217dd47a_t.jpg

"Thanks again for the rescue, lads, and for that shanty too Hybros. If you're ever in need of a ship just look for the Magpie - I owe ye each a bowl of my Dragonfire Stew, heh."

The dwarf left too, and Soryx returned not long after without U'Reeka. The Baron nodded as he came back in, spreading his arms to both him and the heroes.

"Your actions here won't be forgotten anytime soon, I assure you. You've brought life back to my fair city, heroes. And for that, I thank you."

The Baron motioned to Moke, who handed each hero a pouch of 75 coins, and another to Soryx, who lowered his head in gratitude.

8742461929_981dfe702c_t.jpg

"It was a pleasure to have helped you city. And also to have worked with Heroica again," added the wereviper, tilting his head to the party. "If it ever has need of my help again, I will come to its and your aid. It may have seemed a difficult, but inevitable decision in the forge. I am sure, however, that the world is better for it."

THE QUEST IS SUCCESSFUL!

Party

Jeaux2.jpg

Jeaux Elmfyre (joeshmoe554) *Blessed* *Transcended* *Immune to Sealing, Bleeding, and Confused* *Party Leader*

Unknown age automaton male Evoker

Level 18.5

Power Bonus: 0

Defense: 2

Health: 26/26

Ether: 19/19

Gold: 710

Equipment: Divine Cannonade (WP:11; gives blessed- and transcended-effects to user; hollow; Phoenix Essence, handcannon), Enchanted Bracelet (protects from sealing; accessory), Automaton Armor (SP:2, immune to bleeding and confused; suitable to automata only; bodywear)

Inventory: Eminus (WP: 5; bow), Ranger's Quiver (WP+1; backwear), Topaz, Soma, Tonic, Grand Tonic x2, Grand Potion, Remedy x2, Venom x2, Volatile Venom x4, Jinxy Juice, Smoke Bomb, Water Bomb, Bedroll, Bone x6, Handy Suitcase (SP-2, use 2 Items; accessory), Amethyst, Experienced Turdwing (Deals the confused and poisoned by 1 effects on an opponent when used, fly familiar), Crescent Shield (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks, shield), Diamond, Professor’s Kit (Suitable for anyone, successful attacks on Mechanical enemies have a 1/3 of turning them to the hero’s side for the next three rounds as a tamed monsters, accessory), Crimson Haze (Causes a weapon to deal the poisoned by 7 and cursed effects permanently), Handy Suitcase (SP-2, use 2 Items; accessory)

Summons: Nilrem (Paladin Armor, Lightning Armor, Demon Armor)

photo-thumb-38273.jpg?_r=1393376761

Em (emjajoas)

Unknown age human male Warden

Level 17.5

Power Bonus: 4

Defense: 19

Health: 35/35

Gold: 181

Equipment: Aquabow (WP: 7, Water-elemental), Iron Knuckle Armour (Body, foot, and hand wear. Counts as one artefact. Usable by knights and dragoons. SP: 10. Cannot be removed by enemies), Fashionable Shield (SP:7), Anniversary Medal (Artefact/Accessory) (Power +2, SP +2, Max. Health +2, Max. Ether +2. The values will increase by 1 with each passing year)

Inventory:

Consumables: Smoke bomb, Grating Stone x2, Nostrum x2, Potion x3, Remedy x2, Venom, Grand Potion x5, Mead, Ambrosia, Crimson Haze (Causes a weapon to deal the poisoned by 7 and cursed effects permanently), 4 Scrap Metal, Mead, Smelling Salts

Weapons: Quality Cutlass (WP:6, Dagger), Bow(WP:5), Aging Starbeam Blade (WP: 9, damages undead, double WP from dusk until dawn, breaks after one use, longsword)

Tools: Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe,

Equipment: White Marksman's Hat (â…™ chance of Assassination vs. Flying monsters; Headwear), Gentleman's Hat (SP: 1, suitable for men, headgear. The wearer has a 1/2 chance to not be affected by (Asleep), Ranger's Quiver (+1 WP to all Bows/Crossbows), x2 Crescent Shields (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks, shield), Frost Helm (SP: 3, immune to ice, suitable for anyone), Topaz

9482851885_e209b65231_t.jpg

Hybros (JimButcher)*Immune to Cursed, Asleep, Blinded, Confused, Fragile, Weakened* *Immune to all elements*

53-year-old male imp Assassin

Level: 30.75

Power Bonus: +1

Defense: 1

Health: 45/45

Gold: 1429

Equipment: Sword of Ancestral Hatred (WP: 45.25, gains 1/4 WP every kill made with it, light-, darkness-, fire-, ice-, and wind-elemental; longsword), Golden Armor (user is permanently hastened and cursed, fire-, water-, earth-, wind-, wood-, ice-, lightning-, darkness-, light-elemental, grants immunity to Sleep, Blindness, Confusion, Frailty, and Weakening; bodywear),, The Black Hat (Suitable for anyone, grants Intimidation, immune to darkness and cursed, headwear), Baron's Epaulets (Suitable for short heroes, grants Command over short NPCs)

Inventory: Zoot's Reaper (WP:15, earth-elemental; scythe), Clock Cog (WP:14, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable), Justice (WP:8, causes blinded-effect, dagger), Twin Kunai (WP:6, dual strike, daggers), Spinning Bolas (WP: 5, deals the Slowed effect, but the effect is removed when retrieved; retrievable), Wrench (WP:3, decreases the target’s level by 1, retrievable), , Sterile Gloves (grants immunity to poisoned- and bleeding-effects, handwear), 13 Potions, 12 Grand Potions, 16 Health Cores, Tiger Balm, 11 Remedies, 2 Neutralizers, 3 Elixirs, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Deadly Venoms, 3 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 5 Nostrums, 2 Meads, 2 Mulled Wines, Minimizing Dust, Bedroll, Shovel, Skeleton Decoy, Bone, 4 Mythril Shards, 3 Pumpkin Bombs (causes stunned-, poisoned-, asleep-, blinded-, sealed- and confused-effects to all opponents when used), x2 Gold Rings (Worth 15 gold; can be given to someone to make them enamored with the giver), Pauldrons (suitable for knights, dragoons, and skirmishers, SP: 2, accessory), Ancient Starbeam Dagger (WP: 12, damages undead, double WP from dusk until dawn, breaks after one use, throwing weapon), Crescent Shield (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks, shield), Sticky Gloves (gains 50% more gold, suitable for Rogues, handwear),, Cloak of the Red Assassin (Chance of Assassination is 1/3, suitable for Assassins; backwear), Crimson Haze (Causes a weapon to deal the poisoned by 7 and cursed effects permanently), Dastan Dual Axes (WP: 7, 1/6 chance to seal dragons, dual-strike, axes), Shovel, Pickaxe, Soul Link Chain (Allows the user to pair up with another party member, each of them gaining all the effects that the other has. The partner has to equip the chain as well (ie. one chain can be shared by two people); accessory), Cloak of the Blue Assassin (SP:1, suitable to Rogues; backwear), 4 Scrap Metal

paladin_pretzel_2.jpg

Monk Pretzel (Played by Palathadric) *Immune to Fragile*

463-year-old male "hermit" Paladin

Level 29

Power Bonus: 5 in front

Defense: 25 (30 in back)

Health: 50/50

Ether: 24/38

Gold: 1071

Equipment: Dual Staff (WP:8, Ice, Lightning, Fire, Wind, Light; dual strike; staff), Mythril Shield (SP:20), Heavy Armour (SP:5, Immune to Fragile, Strategist's Shako (+5 power while in the front row, +5 SP while in the back; headwear), Soul Link Chain (Allows the user to pair up with another party member, each of them gaining all the effects that the other has. The partner has to equip the chain as well (ie. one chain can be shared by two people); accessory)

Inventory: Heavy Flail (WP:5, causes fragile; mace), Flying Cross (WP:6; Darkness; broomstick), Steak (WP: 1; instantly kills vampires on successful hits; suitable for all), Impervious Shield (SP: 5; grants immunity to Fire), Duplovian Helmet (SP: 2; Immune to Magic and Healing; headwear), Bumble Fanshirt (SP: 1; Vermin with level less than half of the wearers are scared and won't directly attack the wearer; bodywear), Soothing Slippers (meditation restores 5 ether; footwear), Shackles of War (accessory), Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blinding, Scroll of Arc Sleep, 3 Potions, 9 Grand Potions, 4 Tonics, 2 Ether Cores, 7 Remedies, Neutralizer, Grand Elixir (Restores full health and ether to target and remedies all negative effects), 2 Smelling Salts, 5 Venoms, 5 Deadly Venoms, 2 Paralyzing Venoms, 3 Smoke Bombs, Fire Bomb, Holy Bomb, Military Grade Fire Bomb, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, Telescope, Magic Shovel (will always find something when used, limited to three uses per quest), 10 Bones, Raw Meat (+5 max. health upon consumption), Archaic Starbeam Blade (WP: 15, damages undead, double WP from dusk until dawn, breaks after one use, longsword), Cherry (Restores 1 ether), Rock Gauntlets (Suitable for anyone, grants the wearer Iron Fist at no ether cost, handwear), Crescent Shield (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks, shield), Counterstrike Gloves (handwear), Ethereal Cloak (SP:2, Max Ether +4; backwear), Crimson Haze (Causes a weapon to deal the poisoned by 7 and cursed effects permanently), Phoenix Incense, Magic Viper Skin (Wearer regenerates 1 health per round unless knocked out, accessory, suitable for anyone), Amethyst, Shovel, 2 Phoenix Essences, 5 Scrap Metal, Phoenix Essence, Pickaxe

Thanks for playing. I had fun hosting you guys. :sweet: You can chat with NPCs and such and return to the Hall whenever you want.

Edited by CallMePie

"It was a pleasure," he states, bowing slightly to Soryx and the Baron.

Em turns to the party, nodding to each member in turn. "I'll be off, then. Pleasure working with you; and good to see you again, Jeaux."

Turning, Em strides out of Zylstra, shoulders stiff, frown plastered on his face. Did they make the right choice? For some reason, he couldn't get the image of Selenrae out of his head.

Edited by emjajoas

OOC: For record keeping's sake, each of the heroes should be updated with the loot division. Jeaux has the Professor's Kit, but I noticed the Scrap Metals, gold, consumables, and Topax are missing. There might be other things missing as well, each player should double check their stats. I'm glad to fix my own stats, but I wanted to point it out here in case of any confusion. And thanks for the quest, Pie! I'll have lots to say in the QM Lounge later.

Hybros tips his hat to the baron. "It was an honor, eheh. If you require my services again, you know where to find me." He then looks on apologetically to Wally as he exits. Still feeling guilty about the whole situation, for both himself and his gnomish friend, Hybros looks down, still pondering the consequences.

He turns to Soryx and Melvin. "You both fought well. Melvin, perhaps I will find myself at the harbor sometime soon, and I will look for your ship then. Soryx, I am glad I can now trust you. I look forward to when we fight alongside each other again. And about these Axes... perhaps if you were willing to trade for the other Starbeam Dagger, I would be willing to pass these on to you, heheh..."

Finally, he bids farewell to his fellow heroes. "I can not say it was a pleasure fighting with all of you..." he shot a look Pretzel's way. "...But we completed our mission, and we got out alive. Until next time, hehe..."

Hybros lingered in the Baron's quarters, awaiting Soryx's response. There was also one other matter that he had to attend to...

I nod at the Baron appreciatively.

"Always a pleasure to work with you," I mutter, but my mind is clearly on other things.

Outside, still clearly distractedly, I query of Wally,

"Where would you like me to dig the grave? Or is there already a place you have in mind?"

I shake Soryx's hand as I pass out of the building.

I knew I'd be missing some loot. That's what happens when I try to end the quest right before going to sleep. :tongue: I got the other stuff joeshmoe divided, but if anything else seems off just let me know.

He turns to Soryx and Melvin. "You both fought well. Melvin, perhaps I will find myself at the harbor sometime soon, and I will look for your ship then. Soryx, I am glad I can now trust you. I look forward to when we fight alongside each other again. And about these Axes... perhaps if you were willing to trade for the other Starbeam Dagger, I would be willing to pass these on to you, heheh..."

Soryx tilts his head in agreeance, handing over the Cracked Starbeam Dagger.

8742461929_981dfe702c_t.jpg

"My thanks. They will come in handy should I run into any similar ethereal creatures."

Outside, still clearly distractedly, I query of Wally,

"Where would you like me to dig the grave? Or is there already a place you have in mind?"

Wally looked back at Pretzel briefly.

9926370773_7712ebe8ae_t.jpg

"I'm fine, thanks," he remarked, before leaving even quicker than before.

Jeaux accepted the money and walked away without saying anymore. He had accomplished his goal, but for some reason he could not explain it did not feel like he had fulfilled his purpose. Heroica was meant to be an organization that tried to make the world a better place, yet they had just helped a couple of bigoted individuals destroy a new race that held untold potential. He had tried to fulfill his objective without their unnecessary destruction, but they seemed intent on forcing his hand. Nothing about this quest sat right with him, and he wanted to leave as quickly as he could.

OOC: I think there's also something wrong with the Pickax/Shovel situation - Pretzel should have two Shovels in addition to his Magic Shovel, and one Pickax. Hybros should have the other Pickax that he stole (yes with Pala's permission) and his own Shovel. I think.

Hybros nods and sheathes the dagger, brushing against something sticking out of his robe as he did so. He pulled out a piece of parchment, unrolled it, and read Jun's letter again. He had almost forgot about it in the midst of the crisis, but now it was time to arrange a meeting. He borrowed a blank piece of parchment and a quill from the Baron's desk to write a response...

Once he was finished, he rolled up the paper, returned the quill, and nodded once more to those still in the room. He headed outside, and took one last look of Zylstra. He breathed in the air - the musty, dank cave of a city was actually comforting to him. Perhaps one day he would call this place that he helped protect, home. For now, though, he departed through the sewers and out to the surface of Eubric, where harsh sunlight and more quests with Heroica awaited.

You started with a Shovel, Pretzel started with a Pickaxe (and the Magic Shovel). One of each dropped as loot. Pretzel took both and now you have the spare Pickaxe, leaving you each with one of each tool. Also, I forgot to return the Handy Suitcase to Jeaux's inventory.

You started with a Shovel, Pretzel started with a Pickaxe (and the Magic Shovel). One of each dropped as loot. Pretzel took both and now you have the spare Pickaxe, leaving you each with one of each tool. Also, I forgot to return the Handy Suitcase to Jeaux's inventory.

I believe this is the case. In any case, I'm too lazy to look back. Thanks for hosting, CallMePie!

I walk out into the air. It was time to head back to the hall. There is so much to think about. So much to ponder on.