Sign in to follow this  
Peasantseverywhere

What is the best £/$ 20 superhero set

Hi was just thinking of about at this time what do you think is the best £/$ 20 superheroes set my personal belief is that it is the cap vs. hydra set but really wanting your opinions !

I think I would agree with that! The figures are great and the tank is really nice! :blush:

I Also really like the Batcopter-only once I get it I will change the colour scheme a bit and add a gun at the front (just like on the 2007 Batcopter set!)

I think the upcoming £20 GotG set is decent, but not as amazing as others.

The truck heist is really cool, but I'll probably get it without the figures since I have a Doc Ock and I will soon get a Spidey.

Edited by Godtshep

My favourites in order:

1. Deadpool's chopper

2. Hydra Tank

3. Bank Truck

4. SHEILD Jeep

5. SHEILD Car

6. Speedboat

I haven't added the Nova starship as, like all the GOTG sets, it hasn't been released yet.

I don't own all the DC ones, however based on various factors,

1. Lex's Mech

2. Batboat

3. Bat-Helicopter

4. Black Zero Escape

My favourite from Marvel is definitely the Captain America vs Hydra set. As for DC, my favourite has to be the Power Armour Lex Luthor. Saying that, virtually all sets LEGO have released at this price point in the Super Heroes theme (Black Zero Escape aside) have been of very high quality, and I'm hoping that will continue.

I'd rank them in this order:

1. Superman vs. Lex - This set stands alone as DC's only Justice League set. With three exclusive minifigures and a cool mech, it's easily one of my favorites.
  2. Spider-Cycle Chase - A really close second. The only reason that Lex beats this one out is because of the Spider-Man figure and his cycle, despite being the best brick-built one in the line, is sort of meh.
  3. Aquaman on Ice - Arctic Batman is cool, but not good for much, and both Freeze and Aquaman's faces are ugly, so this set isn't here for the minifigures. I know that not everyone agrees with me, but I really like the Batboat's look.
  4. Starblaster Showdown - A very unique and cool spaceship design. The only big problem with it is that the Nova corpsman's helmet is sort of ugly.
  5. Chopper Showdown - The helicopter is a little gappy, but the set is still a pretty good value.
  6. Cap vs. Hydra - I actually don't like the tank very much, nor do I care for Hydra as an organization, but it has some tempting parts and all three exclusive minifigures are admittedly quite good, even though I don't like Red Skull or Hydra, they are tempting.
  7. Black Zero Escape - This set actually surprised me, it's more fun than I thought it would be. However, the Lois minifigure is ugly, the colors are bland, and it just isn't as interesting as the other sets in this range.
  8. Cosmic Cube Escape - I really like the look of the truck with all of its sideways details, but its lack of any truly exclusive minifigures and not being a very interesting vehicle by itself hurts it.
  9. Doc-Ock - I forgot about this one originally. Really just a City set with some SH minifigures. The truck is okay, but Doc Ock is the only reason to get it, but I'd actually rather buy a normal City set. The Great Vehicles line generally has some really good stuff, and this feels like a rejected part of that.
  10. The Batcopter - Man-Bat isn't a villain I ever hoped to see, so Nightwing is the only minifigure here that interests me. On top of that, the bat-copter itself was disappointing. The design is okay, but the colors are really jumbled.
  11. Extremis Battle - The only redeeming quality that I feel this set has is the War Machine minifigure. While I'd say that the Batcopter is average and every other set here is above average this one gets a bad from me. The boat is just such a boring build and is really quite pointless. I understand that even if the sets were accurate to the movie, there wouldn't be much to do, but I really would have rather seen Killian battling IM and WM in something as nonsensical as Mandarin's bumper car. At least then it might have had a sense of fun. :sceptic:

Edited by Superficial Username

I'll rank them in order from best to worst:

DC:

Lex's Power Amour- The mech is awesome and it's the only set you can get Wonder Woman or Lex Luthor!

Bat Boat versus Mr Freeze- The boat is fun with some cool play features and Mr Freeze is an ice minifigure to have in your collection. It's also the only set you can get Aquaman in!

Batcopter- Man Bat and Nightwing are great but the helicopter is a bit clunky in desgin.

Black Zero Escape- :sick:

For me, probably the first superhero set I got- Lex's Power Armour. Superman, Wonder Woman and Luthor himself. Plus the mech reminds me of my old Exo-Force days (which aside from Marvel SH, SW and Bionicle was the only line I made an active effort to collect)

The Batboat is also really nice, and until last month, the Arctic Batman was the only set released Batman in my collection (I had the Electro suit from the book)

I rank them:

1. Wolverine's Chopper Showdown - Excellent minifigures. Helicopter is a fun build and features some specialized parts.

2. Captain America vs. Hydra - Again, excellent minifigures. Tank looks cool and has good playability.

3. Lex Luthor vs. Superman - I like the Mecha. Superman is rather common, but Wonder Woman makes an appearance here - very good.

4. Extremis Battle - Forget the movie. War Machine is a cool looking figure. The boat, while a bit plain, features some specialized parts that are not easy to get elsewhere. Villlain guy looks lame though.

5. Arctic Batman - Unique figures. Boat is rather unique as well. Not a big fan of Aquaman, but his appearance here is cool nonetheless.

6. Batcopter - I really like Nighwing here. Batman is cool too. Copter is simplistic but functional. What I really don't like is Man-Bat. He looks like something straight out of Monster Fighers and doesn't appear to fit in that well with a Superheroes theme set (yes, I know Man Bat looks like that in the comics, but I don't think he's a popular character).

7. Cosmic Cube Escape - Solid build with interesting figures (Hawkeye is unique, Iron Man is popular)

8. Doctor Octopus - Doctor Octopus is unique and the number of pieces is good, but the truck looks so simplistic.

9. Spider-Man vs. Venom - I think this set looks rather childish especially the vehicles. I think this set could be rated higher if your target consumer is a child, but since I'm an AFOL, I give this a lower rating.

10. Black Zero Escape - Looks very boring. Superman is commonplace and can be obtained in the cheaper set with the car. General Zod looks lame. No massive vehicle to play with.

I think the Ock vs Spidey set gets a lot of flack for being a bit meh. I think it's a bit unfair, the trucks main feature is that it's supposed to be blown apart and take advantage of ocks arms and Spidey's wall crawling.

Looking at it like that makes me really appreciate what they were going for with it.

For me, it goes:

1. Avengers: Captain America vs. Hydra

2. Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

3. Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape

4. Extremis Sea Port Battle

5. Spider-Man: Spider-Cycle Chase

6. Doc Ock Truck Heist

DC

1. Superman vs. Power Armor Lex

2. Arctic Batman vs. Mr. Freeze: Aquaman on Ice

3. Batman: Man-Bat Attack

4. Superman: Black Zero Escape

My ranking based on the ones I own

1. Captain 'Murica VS Hydra

2. Superman VS Lex Luthor

3. Spider-Cycle

4. Chopper Showdown

5. Doc Ock's Truck Attack

6. Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape

7. Batboat VS Mr Freeze

8. Extremis Sea Port

Edited by Rinzler

It's gonna have to be Superman vs. Power Armor Lex for me. No Batman, no ugly vehicle (I actually really like the Mech), and 2 of my favorite comic book characters (Wonder Woman and Lex Luthor). This is basically a Justice League set, and I hope it'll set a trend for future DC sets to come, since I'm about ready to drop the line after I get the Asylum.

1. Extremis Seaport Battle: despite the fact that the boat and War Machine weren't in the movie, the set still has merits. The speed boat was a nice little build and the minifigs are cool.

2. Superman vs Power Armor Lex: great mech suit, two Classic heroes and a bad guy - all exclusive to this set.

3. Aquaman on ice. I love the sort of Batshape if the boat. Also I'm a sucker for Batsuit variants. Oh yeah, Freeze and Aquaman are well done too.

1) Chopper Showdown - Satisfying build and great minifigs.

2) Doc Ock's Bank Hiest - Solid build which works for City or any Super Hero layout. I like Doc Ock's too.

3) Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape - That truck was great. Loki and Iron Man are great minifigs too.

This is a great price range for Super Hero sets. The only stinker I see is the Zero Escape one. I have them all except for the Manbat one though I have yet to build the Hydra tank.

You really can't go wrong with the Superman vs. Power Armour Lex set. I'm not even a big fan of Superman and I still love this set. Three exclusive figures and a variety of interesting parts, all for just $20. I imagine it will be retiring soon, so get it while you can.

With a few exceptions (the Black Zero Escape is a mishmash of ugliness and the Extremis Sea Port Battle is just bland), the $20 price range for superhero sets has been solid gold so far. If you're still not sure which set to buy, just go for the one with your favorite characters in it.