It's that time again, I have finished (well, mostly) my latest Swingloader, which is a bit different from the last one :classic:

Firstly, I have based this one off of a real life loader, namely the Mecalac AS210E, which is the biggest in Mecalac's line of swingloaders.

This is what the real thing looks like:

mecalac_as_210e.jpg

And this is my Technic version of the machine:

800x450.jpg

Emphasis on "based on". as there are several differences, mostly due to limited parts availability.. :blush:

As you can see, it's not articulated, like my Mk II model, but rather has four wheel steering. This apparently makes for a more stabile platform, and that holds true in the world of Lego as well :classic: One of the problems with the Mk II was balance when swinging a load to the side, whilst the steering was articulated (?).

The vehicle has been finished for a long time, except for the loader assembly. I think I have completely rebuilt the entire thing three times, and tried different geometries a thousand times! Today I got it to work satisfactory, so now I can show you! :laugh:

Technical features:

-Four wheel drive, with central differential (not so sure whether this was necessary), powered by one PF XL-motor

-Four wheel steering with Ackerman geometry (One PF Servo motor)

-Swinging loader (one PF M-motor)

-Lifting arm (one PF L-motor)

-Tipping bucket (one PF L-motor)

Non-technical features:

-Openable doors

-Openable engine compartment

-2 x PF Lights

-Fake, driven V6 engine in the rear

Making it not articulated made it possible to make it a little more compact, as I wasn't restrained to keeping all motors in the rear of the vehicle, and then routing four axles vertically in line across the articulation point.

This is the arrangement of the various motors in the loader:

1024x525.jpg

The middle M-motor (the one sitting the right way) is supposed to be a Servo motor (what's taking so long?!), so the output there is actually just a pin hole. The actual output is the #2 orange connector just below it.

Also, the worm gear for swinging mechanism is of the new type. I haven't made the digger in LDD yet, so it doesn't go further just yet :sweet:

Anyway, I suppose pictures are due:

1024x576.jpg

1024x576.jpg

1024x576.jpg

1024x576.jpg

1024x576.jpg

1024x576.jpg

Good tilting kinematics :grin:

1024x576.jpg

Driver's cabin is a bit empty as of now...

1024x576.jpg

Engine compartment and batterybox

1024x576.jpg

1024x576.jpg

Underbelly shot. The central differential is covered by panels

1024x576.jpg

Underbelly shot, showing the steering geometry. THe servo is geared 1:1 through three 16 tooth gears, so I had to use 8 tooth gears and studded bricks for the steering to work properly.. I know it doesn't look too good :tongue:

And a short video:

So that's about it!

Thoughts and critisism and praise is welcome :sweet:

I don't have the time to make a video today, but hope to get one up in the next couple of days! :wink:

Ans sorry about the sub par photo quality :blush:

Edited by D3K

Looks great. Do you happen to have a short video? Can wait to built it - so i second the plead for instructions. The MKII ones were great.

I will try to make a video of it in action in a couple of days, but I can't guarantee anything, as time is precious these days :blush:

As for instructions; again, time time time.. I'm sorry, but I just don't have it right now, concidering making proper instructions takes at least 40 hours (haven't even built it in MLcad yet either).. I really want to make instructions, as I think this model is better than the Mk II, but I won't be able to, at least not for a couple of months :sceptic::thumbdown:

However, I will try to finish the LDD model, and publish it for anyone interested! Maybe someone will even start making it in MLcad? :grin:

Maybe someone will even start making it in MLcad? :grin:

Maybe you can ask blakbird for converting the LDD file into a CAD file. If so, I can step it and make the instructions with LPUB.

Greetings

Alex

Maybe you can ask blakbird for converting the LDD file into a CAD file. If so, I can step it and make the instructions with LPUB.

Greetings

Alex

I can make an LDraw file for you if I have the needed pictures and LDD files.

@D3K

Nice moc! :classic:

The rotating structure at the front looks a bit high compared with the cabin, but that's not a big problem.

Very nice moc and I'm looking forward to the video :thumbup:

That would be absolutely awesome! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I will make some minor alterations to the model, and hopefully complete the LDD model by the end of the week.. A minor problem though, is that it uses a heap of newer parts, especially 5L axles with stop, and the 3L double pin with axle end, which aren't yet in LDD. I will find a workaround though, by colourcoding normal axles or something. :classic:

@legolinjtje, when the time comes, I will try to take any photo you will need, if you really are up for the task! :classic::thumbup:

Another really great model. If I hadn't already built the last one, I would build this one too!

From the bottom view, it looks like your steering racks are skewing so that they are not aligned with the model. This is preventing your Ackerman from working properly. I think you need to guide them on both sides so they won't skew like that.

Another really great model. If I hadn't already built the last one, I would build this one too!

From the bottom view, it looks like your steering racks are skewing so that they are not aligned with the model. This is preventing your Ackerman from working properly. I think you need to guide them on both sides so they won't skew like that.

A lot of the parts are similar in the two models (I think), so you might be able to try this one as well, and maybe you'll change your mind? :classic:

As for the steering, I believe the Ackerman is maintained, and that is the reason for the "skewed" steering racks.. :look: I won't try to explain it in too much detail (lack of technical English terms), but the bolt (3L axle with stud) on the inner wheels' steering moves further than the bolt on the outer wheels' steering.. That is, it moves further towards the centreline, than the outer moves away from the centreline. If I used some sort of links able to rotate around more than one axis, I could probably get the rack to stay in line.. :classic:

That's a great build. Might be one for the hall of fame. I have one question, I notice your wheels don't connect directly to those diffs?

H

That's a great build. Might be one for the hall of fame. I have one question, I notice your wheels don't connect directly to those diffs?

H

Thanks!

And yeah, the diffs are offset two studs from the wheels, both front and back. I don't remember why I did it initially, as it was done that way very early on in the build, but it worked out great, as the steering racks would have been in conflict with the diffs otherwise :thumbup::blush:

Great video :thumbup: ................now I have to acquire parts for this one. :wink: The MkII is still working well, I need to fix the bucket geometry for next years show.

Thanks for answering my question. The diff set up makes it all the more interesting. How about an earth mover next.

H

I prefer the styling of the Mk. 2 but that might be just me :) Good job nonetheless!

I prefer the styling of the Mk. 2 but that might be just me :) Good job nonetheless!

+1

Seriously? I'm surprised! :classic:I'm glad you like the Mk II, but I just personally feel this one looks a lot better! :classic: Depends on the eye, I guess :laugh:

But yeah, I finished the .lxf model, download it here, for anyone interested :thumbup:

1024x525.jpg

I can't be 100% sure it's accurate, but I think it's pretty close. It measures in at just below 1800 parts, but that's including two brickbuilt L-motors (seriously, why aren't they in LDD yet??).

Also, it doesn't include lights, nor the PF extension wire (long). The servo is also not mounted (not a brickbuilt one either), but the orange #2 connector inside the vehicle indicates the servo output, and the motor should fit perfectly in the space there.

Also noteworthy, is the substituted parts... There are in the LDD file several DBG 3L axles. These are supposed to be the new 3L axle-with-double-pins. Also, 5L axles in either green or tan/brown are supposed to be the new 5L axles with stop.

Lastly , here is a picture that show some of the internals, including the end of the extention cable and the servo

1024x576.jpg

Edited by D3K

Nice work. I would love to make a LDraw file of that. :grin:

Knock yourself out! :laugh:

Seriously though, that would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to ask me anything if there's something unclear or things that seem wrong.. As I said: I can't guarantee the LDD file is 100%.

Also noteworthy, is the substituted parts (forgot to mention that)... There are in the LDD file several DBG 3L axles. These are supposed to be the new 3L axle-with-double-pins. Also, 5L axles in either green or tan/brown are supposed to be the new 5L axles with stop.