Mister Phes

ReBrick "Name the Ship" Contest - and the WINNER IS...

I feel that to be fair to all contestants they drew a submission out of a hat, then checked it wasn't trademarked or repeated in the thread.

No reflection on the quality of the selected name, but given its similarity to the previous Lego set I just can't see them actively picking that name.

If they did I should have entered with "Brown Seas Barramundi" or "The Black Barracuda"

AB

The black barracuda would have been better.

The name is not so very important for me, I just hope it will be a very nice set with a new captain and not again Capt. RedBeard.

I agree. I'm just really excited to get a new Pirates set. Hopefully it will translate in to a whole new wave of sets.

If you are looking a name similar to pay sets as sort of a nod of recognition, black barracuda works wonderfully. Plus since so many AFOLs love that ship, it'd be a great selection. From my understanding (since I don't have the set myself) the brickbeard bounty wasn't a favored ship among fans.

I'll just be pleased to see more Pirate sets down the road honestly. I agree the winning name feels rather lackluster but if I happen to like the overall design of this "Brick Bounty", I'll buy the ship and simply call it something else.

the reason why im dissapointed with the chosen name, is.

When i create a name, i always spend alot of time choosing a fitting name for it.

In 1 case i made the name first, then i made the ship fit that name.

And if Lego dosent really care about the name, that (for my point of wiew) would mean they dont care about the ship.

But we will just have to hope at another name.

And if that is the chosen name, then its just how it is, and im sure we will all get it anyways.

another "bounty'"? i really hope the ship itself makes up for its lackluster name.

Neither TLG nor any other toy company should ever use "Bounty" in a product's name, particularly not a ship's. The most (in)famous real life ship called the Bounty was taken over by Fletcher Christian and other mutineers in the late 18th century. They settled on Pitcairn Island and had children with the local polynesian women. In 2004, their descendants were involved in a scandal involving the men and children on the island. I can't go into detail because of EB rules, but trust me when I say that what happened there was utterly repugnant and nothing with which TLG wants to be even remotely associated - a PR disaster in the making.

Neither TLG nor any other toy company should ever use "Bounty" in a product's name, particularly not a ship's. The most (in)famous real life ship called the Bounty was taken over by Fletcher Christian and other mutineers in the late 18th century. They settled on Pitcairn Island and had children with the local polynesian women. In 2004, their descendants were involved in a scandal involving the men and children on the island. I can't go into detail because of EB rules, but trust me when I say that what happened there was utterly repugnant and nothing with which TLG wants to be even remotely associated - a PR disaster in the making.

They already had one Bounty in 2009 and no one raised a fuss over it.

They already had one Bounty in 2009 and no one raised a fuss over it.

TLG was lucky that the media missed the opportunity last time. They may not make the same mistake (from their perspective) again. The fact that it happened before wouldn't stop the media: they're pretty forgiving of their own oversights.

Glamorizing the age of sail is always problematic, what with slavery, press gangs, and, y'know, piracy, so I doubt they'd catch any flak for using the word "Bounty". Still, it's disturbing that one incident over two centuries ago could lead to all that...

TC

Edited by TalonCard

TLG was lucky that the media missed the opportunity last time. They may not make the same mistake (from their perspective) again. The fact that it happened before wouldn't stop the media: they're pretty forgiving of their own oversights.

Tempest in a teapot.

I believe rational people can distinguish the difference. Not to mention the fact that pirates were essentially the same as pirates today, ruthless killers who stole for a living. I find it highly doubtful that mutiny on the bounty is fresh on the minds of anyone and even if mentioned would either be viewed in a historical context or be unknown.

I guess TLG should stop selling bounty hunters as well? I mean if the word bounty is that toxic the whole Star Wars world is surely going to collapse.

The Brick Bounty.......how uninspiring and I'll say it.....boring ! pirate_pirate_angry.gif

What it comes with ninjas too does it ? pirate_laugh_new.gif

I find it highly doubtful that mutiny on the bounty is fresh on the minds of anyone and even if mentioned would either be viewed in a historical context or be unknown.

Probably true of the vast majority of parents as things stand, but what if a malicious journalist made the connection? I can easy imagine a British tabloid running the headline: "Lego names ship after paedo descendants'".

I guess TLG should stop selling bounty hunters as well? I mean if the word bounty is that toxic the whole Star Wars world is surely going to collapse.

It's not the word, it's the ship by that name and what can be associated with it that matters. I can't imagine an editor running a story connecting bounty hunters in SW and the ship. That's too tenuous even for the British tabloid press.

Probably true of the vast majority of parents as things stand, but what if a malicious journalist made the connection? I can easy imagine a British tabloid running the headline: "Lego names ship after paedo descendants'".

Then people would read it, have some fun laughing over the (obviously unintentional/insignificant) connection, and quickly forget about it? Can you imagine a single parent ever going "Oh no, this ship shares a name with one involved in an inappropriate event that my child will never even find out about anyway until he's mature enough to read about that stuff, I must not buy it for him", or any independent LEGO fan getting outraged over the fact?

Edited by BFN

It's not the word, it's the ship by that name and what can be associated with it that matters. I can't imagine an editor running a story connecting bounty hunters in SW and the ship. That's too tenuous even for the British tabloid press.

Does that mean the tabloids kick up a storm whenever a film version of the mutiny on the Bounty is broadcast on TV, or whenever a book about the mutiny is published?

The incident is ten years old, and if it hasn't been brought up until now, especially with the BBB of 2009, TLG has nothing to worry about.

Even if someone made a stink, it's just more publicity for TLG, and it's the accuser that would get the flak for being a sensationalist.

Edited by Ardelon

Does that mean the tabloids kick up a storm whenever a film version of the mutiny on the Bounty is broadcast on TV, or whenever a book about the mutiny is published?

No, but typically the films/books aren't aimed squarely at kids. LEGO is viewed as a kids' toy (we, as AFOLs, know better of course).

Seems like some people aren't thrilled with the name. I don't mind it, although I'm sure there are some better names that could be picked.

Honestly though, I'm just happy Pirates are coming back!

the reason why im dissapointed with the chosen name, is.

When i create a name, i always spend alot of time choosing a fitting name for it.

In 1 case i made the name first, then i made the ship fit that name.

And if Lego dosent really care about the name, that (for my point of wiew) would mean they dont care about the ship.

But we will just have to hope at another name.

And if that is the chosen name, then its just how it is, and im sure we will all get it anyways.

I kind of agree with this but TLG ships are generally named more to be exciting to the target audience than any kind of realism. Here is a list

http://brickset.com/sets/list-5954

Only the licensed PotC ships have decent sounding names, IMO, and one of them is a real ship's name.

I don't like the name, but it doesn't really matter to me. As long as it looks SOMETHING like the imperial flagship, I'm happy. If it does catch my interest, I would just name it something else, "The Majestic Ruby". As some have said, I don't think it will be like BBB, cause they probably would have done a whole line if they were planning on doing a small, 500-600 piece ship. It will probably be more like the imperial flagship- $180, and over 1,000 pieces.

JC! ... Everybody knows that they took a silly name, but just tell me - how many more posts/days/years do You guys want to spend discussing this idiotic matter?? There're some more important things goind on Pirates Forum yet surprisingly this topic gets more attention *huh*

Edited by Mazin

JC! ... Everybody knows that they took a silly name, but just tell me - how many more posts/days/years do You guys want to spend discussing this idiotic matter?? There're some more important things goind on Pirates Forum yet surprisingly this topic gets more attention *huh*

Then dont read it if you dont like the discussion, and go attend to the "more important things". Not everyone checks in here that often, and not everyone that has an opinion commented already. Staff will decide if the thread has passed the "idiocy" threshold.

Right... and so You think that EVERYONE here HAS to say it loud and clear that TLG has chosen the wrong name? *huh*

Then dont read it if you dont like the discussion, and go attend to the "more important things".

Probably shouldn't even comment that quote... if you have something to say use arguments, not boorishness. It wasn't very polite. People used to be banned because of use of such words. :thumbdown:

I'm going to build a new ship and I will call it "the Bounty Hunter" pirate_classic.gif .

Guess what its target will be pir_laugh2.gif .

Then dont read it if you dont like the discussion, and go attend to the "more important things". Not everyone checks in here that often, and not everyone that has an opinion commented already. Staff will decide if the thread has passed the "idiocy" threshold.

Right... and so You think that EVERYONE here HAS to say it loud and clear that TLG has chosen the wrong name? *huh*

Probably shouldn't even comment that quote... if you have something to say use arguments, not boorishness. It wasn't very polite. People used to be banned because of use of such words. :thumbdown:

People are free to comment (or not) on their opinions of the ship's name as they so wish.

I would like to remind all members, to remain polite and respectful to each other in their posts. Thank you.