Mister Phes

ReBrick "Name the Ship" Contest - and the WINNER IS...

So it's the 1st of May, at least in my part of the world, they should have made their decision by now. Best case scenario, they tell us who won, along with pictures of the entire pirate range. 2nd best, they at least show us the ship we named. 3rd best, they only let us know the name of the ship. Worst case scenario, they don't actually tell us who won for half a year...

So it's the 1st of May, at least in my part of the world, they should have made their decision by now.

Apparently they will Email me once the information is ready to be published.

I'd be so happy if I would win pirate_satisfied.gif .

Well, everyone is I guess pir_laugh2.gif .

and the WINNER IS...

The Brick Bounty

Please congratulate legobuffproductions. He will receive a signed version of the undisclosed pirate set when it comes out in 2015. And obviously the chance to have their name suggestion be the name of the actual LEGO pirate ship… We cannot make any promises, but we’ve been told that the designers REALLY like the name. So fingers crossed!

Source: ReBrick blog

Maybe I'm just sour that my suggestion didn't win, but this name seems unimaginative, unoriginal, and boring. It's basically Brickbeards Bounty without the beard.

Maybe I'm just sour that my suggestion didn't win, but this name seems unimaginative, unoriginal, and boring. It's basically Brickbeards Bounty without the beard.

Sign. Its terrible lame.

That... sounds like the last one... shaven... hope this doesn't mean a further reduction of the target age...

Nah, got to show a little faith, as long as it isn't 4 juniors, it's going to be great!

And congrats to the winner, it's a once in a lifetime honor.

Oh man. I hate to be negative, but I don't like it at all. It's almost the exact same name as the last ship. :( Seems like a missed opportunity here.

Glad I'm not the only one who finds the name a little unimaginative... makes me wonder why I spent two hours brainstorming original names... pirate_sceptic.gif

If anyone has a ReBrick account (whoever entered the contest obviously does), you can post your feedback in the comments section of the Winner Announcement blog post.

That way your feedback will get back to the people who judged the entries, but please do so politely and objectively.

I serieously dont like that name, there's already Bricks Beards Bounty.

They should seriously have a reconsideration.

they said they wanted a original name...And that isn't.

And its not becaue im cross that my suggestion didnt go through.

It just is really borring and uncrative.

Edited by Morthen

I concur with everyone else regarding the name. Not very creative. I knew my suggestions had no chance at winning (I can't even remember them now), but that isn't anything better than what I came up with. It is pretty obvious though. They used it before, so why not again. Throwing brick in there is pretty on the nose. It definitely sounds very low target age. And with every other theme having a Juniors set these days, they might throw in some Juniors Pirates again...

I left a message on the rebrick forum so it isn't just me whining.

But this has sunk my hopes for a good theme... see what I did there...

Edited by TheLegoDr

I concur with everyone else regarding the name. Not very creative. I knew my suggestions had no chance at winning (I can't even remember them now), but that isn't anything better than what I came up with. It is pretty obvious though. They used it before, so why not again. Throwing brick in there is pretty on the nose. It definitely sounds very low target age. And with every other theme having a Juniors set these days, they might throw in some Juniors Pirates again...

I don't think the name is very indicative of a very juniorizéd theme. A true juniorizéd theme would call it something like "Brownbeard's Ship" or even just "Pirate Ship". pir_laugh2.gif That being said, I agree that the chosen name isn't very creative, but it isn't surprising for an entry or a set name either. (Side note: interesting code for that... word. pir_laugh2.gif Took me a few edits to figure out the best way to get around it.)

Edited by BFN

I read a lot of the entries on Rebrick and I can't think of any off the top of my head that were less imaginative or interesting than this...I understand Lego is a kid's toy but I'm not inspired to sail the high seas at all in something called this.

No disrespect to the winner who can't help what the judges went for but this is just lame.

Edited by TeufelHund

It's all a big cost saving measure. It's going to be a reissue of Brickbeard's Bounty and they're going to use the leftover boxes from its production run and just stick some black tape over the "beard's" part of the name.

There were so many better names to choose from. I can't believe they went for something so uninspired.

Well.... finally not so original ; I'm quite disappointed. BUT... they said "And obviously the chance to have their name suggestion be the name of the actual LEGO pirate ship… We cannot make any promises"

Perhaps not the final product name...

And I'm just asking me how they would translate this name in french...

Edited by montoumes

BUT... they said "And obviously the chance to have their name suggestion be the name of the actual LEGO pirate ship… We cannot make any promises". Perhaps not the final product name...

No, this is not the final name, to quote the Winner Announcement blog post on ReBrick.com.

And obviously the chance to have their name suggestion be the name of the actual LEGO pirate ship… We cannot make any promises, but we’ve been told that the designers REALLY like the name. So fingers crossed!

Obviously there is a lot of AFOL disappointment over the chosen name given it's similarity to Brickbeard's Bounty, but this may not matter to the target consumer demograph, which is most likely boys ages 7-12.

However, this is proving to be a good consumer review process, so if you feel strongly about the chosen name, you can post feedback in the comments section of the Winner Announcement blog post.

This is your opportunity to send your opinion to the judges but please do so politely and objectively.

If anyone has a ReBrick account (whoever entered the contest obviously does), you can post your feedback in the comments section of the Winner Announcement blog post.

That way your feedback will get back to the people who judged the entries.

I think it's important to remind people to be polite when giving feedback, it might be that some kid is really really super excited about winning, and it might not be so appropriate for a bunch of angry AFOLs to go and rub their displeasure all over the announcement page. pirate_classic.gif

Most kids who get this ship will probably never have received the Brickbeard's Bounty, so from that perspective the 'Brick Bounty' is a perfectly fine name.

I'm disappointed too, but kids come first.

<p>Although I am disappointed, this does make me feel better about not submitting my names in time--if "The Brick Bounty" won, there's no way my ideas (the Ole Kirk, the Flying Dane) would have come close!

Edited by Mariko

I think it's important to remind people to be polite when giving feedback

So far impoliteness hasn't been an issue, everyone who has posted has been objective in their criticism and therefore a reminder didn't seem warranted.

But I've edited my posts to include one just in case.

I just looked at the winner and realised that 'legobuffproductions' is actually probably not the name of a kid, and a quick search of the internet shows that I am right...

If you leave out the fact that a previous ship was already called 'BrickBeard Bounty', the choice for Brick Bounty makes sense and it's actually a good name.

However, I can't just leave out an important fact like that pir_laugh2.gif , for the sake of collecting purposes.

I feel that to be fair to all contestants they drew a submission out of a hat, then checked it wasn't trademarked or repeated in the thread.

No reflection on the quality of the selected name, but given its similarity to the previous Lego set I just can't see them actively picking that name.

If they did I should have entered with "Brown Seas Barramundi" or "The Black Barracuda"

AB

The name is not so very important for me, I just hope it will be a very nice set with a new captain and not again Capt. RedBeard.